• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Trials day hype!

Going to get to rank 25 with NM on my Warlock when I get home today and then Trials till bed time! Lets get a good map today Mantis.

Hedera

That's like people bitching that Bender was selling the Strongbow for three or four weeks in a row. I want one now and it's been like five or six weeks since he's had one.
I never wanted sunbreakers though ;p (well, aside for collection purposes). I don't think I ever used them actually.

I never wanted sunbreakers though ;p (well, aside for collection purposes). I don't think I ever used them actually.

Sunbreakers are legit in Y2. With Max DIS and Radiant Skin you can throw 12 solar grenades with your super. People get some overwhelmed. It's great. I even saw a guy use them in Trials.
We lost to him too :(

X-Frame

I only have ~200 coins and debating if should purchase TG. Aesthetically, I hate it, but it might be useful.

IMO, it's invaluable on a Titan, both for aggressive or defensive playstyles. The amount of mobility it adds is just insane.

Someone rushing you with a shotgun? Juke to the side when they get just outside of shotgun range and they are absolutely hung out to dry. I do this all the time. We all know how powerful Shadestep can be so TG Evading can be used similarly.

If you get into a 1v1 gunfight and win with a shred of health you can juke once/twice into cover immediately to get out of the open so you don't get finished off by someone else.

You can go from a standstill to maximum skating speed IN ANY DIRECTION by using the Evade. The amount of times I "Noped" the hell out of an area, skating directly backwards at maximum speed has saved my life way too many times.

It's great for firing rockets during a heavy round too. You can lock on/fire at someone and then immediately juke to a side in order to avoid the inevitable incoming rocket while yours gets the kill.

In general it seems to really fuck up people's aiming when they're accustomed to Titans skating in a straight line, and can really extend your engagements.

I still think it's ridiculous it doesn't work with shaders, but I haven't taken it off my Striker in weeks now. Not even double Lightning grenades come close to the neutral game TG adds to the Titan.

Is there anyone around on Xbox DGAF that would be up for a Flawless Raider run of Crota's End? It's one of the few things I still need to achieve in Destiny. Let me know. I'll take any help I can get.

E92 M3

eyes-emoji.jpg

IMO, it's invaluable on a Titan, both for aggressive or defensive playstyles. The amount of mobility it adds is just insane.

Someone rushing you with a shotgun? Juke to the side when they get just outside of shotgun range and they are absolutely hung out to dry. I do this all the time. We all know how powerful Shadestep can be so TG Evading can be used similarly.

If you get into a 1v1 gunfight and win with a shred of health you can juke once/twice into cover immediately to get out of the open so you don't get finished off by someone else.

You can go from a standstill to maximum skating speed IN ANY DIRECTION by using the Evade. The amount of times I "Noped" the hell out of an area, skating directly backwards at maximum speed has saved my life way too many times.

It's great for firing rockets during a heavy round too. You can lock on/fire at someone and then immediately juke to a side in order to avoid the inevitable incoming rocket while yours gets the kill.

In general it seems to really fuck up people's aiming when they're accustomed to Titans skating in a straight line, and can really extend your engagements.

I still think it's ridiculous it doesn't work with shaders, but I haven't taken it off my Striker in weeks now. Not even double Lightning grenades come close to the neutral game TG adds to the Titan.

You convinced me. Will sting to spend 13 coins, but so be it. I hate how it looks, but utility is unquestionable.

Hedera

Sunbreakers are legit in Y2. With Max DIS and Radiant Skin you can throw 12 solar grenades with your super. People get some overwhelmed. It's great. I even saw a guy use them in Trials.
We lost to him too :(
So you can grow a field of fire? Ineresting... I'm all about that void life in PVP though.

X-Frame

You convinced me. Will sting to spend 13 coins, but so be it. I hate how it looks, but utility is unquestionable.

Awesome!

Also just wanted to let you know that the Xur roll may not be what you are looking for, but the Kiosk version is INT / DISC and Arc Armor which is ideal for a Striker if that what you play.

If I only knew that before I used like 10 Glass Needles to re-roll my first one to get that exact roll.

shermas

I got gauntlets, chest and boots from my very first Vault of Glass clear, the first week it was out. Still by far the luckiest I've ever been in this game, although I had no idea at the time. But that also meant I could buy that Helm of Inmost Light week 2 (along with a GHorn....) and hit Lv30 crazy early. I originally made alt characters just to grind out 75 ascendant shards from daily stories and public event packages. Everyone else had the opposite problem of too many shards with no raid gear to level. Of course now I have 1200 shards gathering vault-dust.

GHorn: Week 2, then week 49. RIP.

1200 Shards? Why haven't you turned them in for motes (or whatever the exchange item is)? I think I had 700ish, but they're gone now.

Theorry

So just started a crucible match and after 20 seconds someone on the enemy team already had a super. And he had only 200 points. First time i saw a cheater.

X-Frame

So just started a crucible match and after 20 seconds someone on the enemy team already had a super. And he had only 200 points. First time i saw a cheater.

You get your super immediately upon leveling up. We just don't see it very often because getting to 40 is so quick, but if he's 1-39 or leveled to 40 that match its not cheating. Just FYI!

Lee

Is there anyone around on Xbox DGAF that would be up for a Flawless Raider run of Crota's End? It's one of the few things I still need to achieve in Destiny. Let me know. I'll take any help I can get.

I'm down. Did it last weekend with four people without issue. I'll be playing trials a lot as I finally have time to this weekend but if you see me on send me a message.

Xur still not selling Exotic Engrams but its a complete fluke as they cant control him :s

Twilight Garrison
Symbiote
The Stag
Super Good Advice
Legacy Helmet Engram

Just picked up Twilight garrison despite not having a levelled Titan. Seems like it will be a fun thing to play with once I can equip it!

I could also help out; I did it last year but would imagine it's a cakewalk now with Crota downing in 1 sword. Feel free to add me or send a message if a date/time gets set. GT: ThingontheFloor

DarKshodaN

After a long break i am back playing Destiny, can i do Nightfall with a LL 315 Character?
When not, what is the best way to get my LL up now?

1200 Shards? Why haven't you turned them in for motes (or whatever the exchange item is)? I think I had 700ish, but they're gone now.

lol because I already exchanged a couple thousand materials with my ascendant energies, radiant shards and radiant energies. The ascendant shards are all that's left. That's what happens when you run hard raids 3x ~every week since the game's been out. We ran both VoG and CE each week back during HoW.

I constantly dump motes into leveling factions and gear so it's not like I hoard the stuff. But now I have all the faction ships, shaders and emblems and I don't care enough to get the rest of the exotic class items. Mainly I dump motes into gear before dismantling so I get 5 legendary marks for each piece. Then I turn every 135 marks back into 5 marks by losing the Cryptarch Lottery, looking for a god-rolled 1000 Yard Stare. It's my version of Destiny Recycling.

Thieves Den incoming.

Considering how long it's been gone, I'm optimistic that they've deleted it from the rotation. Kinda like how I'm hoping Memento has been nixed since it wasn't included in the Earth Day rotation week.

I could also help out; I did it last year but would imagine it's a cakewalk now with Crota downing in 1 sword. Feel free to add me or send a message if a date/time gets set. GT: ThingontheFloor

Getting the flawless raider achievement would be pretty great so I am interested!

Would also love to get the trophy for completing a raid with everyone in the same clan too if people fancy killing 2 birds with one stone?

E92 M3

Yeah, so I'm dipping my toes back in. What's the best way to get back up to speed? My titan is at 311.

Raids are an amazing way to get up to speed.

lol because I already exchanged a couple thousand materials with my ascendant energies, radiant shards and radiant energies. The ascendant shards are all that's left. That's what happens when you run hard raids 3x ~every week since the game's been out. We ran both VoG and CE each week back during HoW.

I constantly dump motes into leveling factions and gear so it's not like I hoard the stuff. But now I have all the faction ships, shaders and emblems and I don't care enough to get the rest of the exotic class items. Mainly I dump motes into gear before dismantling so I get 5 legendary marks for each piece. Then I turn every 135 marks back into 5 marks by losing the Cryptarch Lottery, looking for a god-rolled 1000 Yard Stare. It's my version of Destiny Recycling.

Considering how long it's been gone, I'm optimistic that they've deleted it from the rotation. Kinda like how I'm hoping Memento has been nixed since it wasn't included in the Earth Day rotation week.

Stop making me miss my Xbox collection :( Trying to forget it lol.

After a long break i am back playing Destiny, can i do Nightfall with a LL 315 Character?

Yep, 315 light is plenty for Nightfall. NFall, Challenge of Elders (the Lv42 Prison of Elders), running a hard raid (they didn't increase light level of enemies, only of the gear that drops), doing Trials, doing Iron Banner next time it comes back.... ranking up factions gives items up to 330 LL. Decrypting exotic engrams can go up to 335 LL.

Those are a few easy ways. With the new progression system it's very very easy to increase your LL.

Yeah, so I'm dipping my toes back in. What's the best way to get back up to speed? My titan is at 311.

NF rec. light was upped to 320 so it’s a bit tougher but still manageable by anyone 310+. I’d recommend going through Challenge of Elders a few times to get the guaranteed weapon/armor piece from the high and cumulative scores. Melee bonus this week. There’s no matchmaking but fairly easy to get a group of 3 on here or LFG to run through it, doesn’t take long either. Have your best stuff equipped when turning in packages, exotic engrams, etc. as drops will be based off your current LL. Raids are a good way as well, specially Challenge modes, but obviously tougher to get a group together.

For all the talk of games being art, most really focus on just being entertainment, which means that the range of emotions they convey are pretty constrained. Excitement. Fun. These are the emotions, the metrics, most games are judged by.

But what else do games make you feel? What does Destiny make us feel?

Destiny certainly has a great feel to its sandbox. Empowering and smooth. It's a social game, so we feel camaraderie, in playing together against the Darkness and testing ourselves in the Crucible. Lots of games have power fantasies. Lots of games have great co-op or PvP.

What unique feelings does Destiny have? For me, that answer is in the Trials of Osiris.

When I think of Trials, I feel tense, on edge, anxious even. It's unpleasant. I'd even go so far as to say I feel _fearful_ at times. I watch DGAF play over the weekend and my gut clenches when I see them at 8-0, or worse, go 8-1. Nothing in games hurts like a Trials loss. Nothing stings like Ape's frustration over a dumb mistake, or Drizz's exasperated sighs. (Or the rare, but devastating "John pls" from Igor.) There are times when I'm watching twitch where I'm *thankful* I'm not even playing. Such is the level of stress that trying for Mercury can bring.

Trials of Osiris is easily the most nerve-racking thing I do on a regular basis. Kirk Hamilton of Kotaku is right:

1333576335936034194.png

I finish a card and my nerves are a jangly mess.

Only two other games have created that feeling in me, both of which are games that also have ridiculously high skill requirements: Dark Souls and Monster Hunter.

Let's dispense with the obvious: Trials is aptly named. It's the most competitive mode in Destiny and in any game I've ever played. You will face the best of the best in Trials. Shaxx may say the Crucible is "no place for Mercy", but that's most true in Trials. XplicitOne likes to look up the ranks of his opponents and that's shown him going up against literally the #1 ranked player. I'll go in blind thank you very much.

For all my posts about First Curse, Defenders and other unique loadouts, I know you have to respect the meta: Doctrine, Truth, Striker, T11+, etc. Get your gear, master the gear, or die by it. Know the maps, the angles or you'll get domed instantly. Trials is, to put it simply, unforgiving.

Trials ups the ante over Dark Souls by making it a team mode. Whereas losing 20,000 souls in Blight Town might suck, it doesn't affect others. You have to find two other people to play with and I mean really gel with. That's not easy. Some people micromanage too much. Others are too much of a lone wolf. I'm lucky here. But the luckier you are, the more you don't want to let your team down with a loss.

Because once you have your team, you have to win. Not just once. But 7 times, with only one loss. That kinda run takes probably an hour easy. Monster Hunter fights time out after 20 minutes. Imagine an hour in Dark Souls without a bonfire. (Add on to that that I really can only guaranteed a 2 hour window in which to play, which puts a real penalty on resetting a card.)

All this is true regardless of your skill level, but it's harder when you're not an all-star. I've played Halo since Halo 1, but that was hang out, goof-off Halo. Even my solo Legendary successes were mostly about patience rather than skill. Your team will push you to be better, will push you to play outside your comfort zone. As a sniper, mid-range player, I'm fairly passive, but our team succeeds when we're aggressive. This is how I feel when Ape says "push the heavy":

giphy.gif

And just like in MonHun, Dark Souls, losing to a boss or worse, a "double boss loss" not only feels **really** bad, it also means you don't have anything to show for your time. There are no checkpoints, no partial rewards.

j7NfxVB.gif

So why do it? Well, there's more than games than entertainment.

Rewards are another metric for how to judge a game, particularly a loot game. I've ranted plenty about Destiny's stingy loot, abusive RNG and grueling progression. But there are other rewards, achievements beyond even a Platinum trophy.

Trials is tough, but the difficulty isn't the point. Dark Souls, similarly, isn't really hard. The way to beat Dark Souls isn't "git gud". It's about patience, preparedness and learning. Same with Monster Hunter. Your first fight with a new monster isn't about killing it per se, it's about learning the fight. But at the end of day, what's true in both of those games, is that no matter how scary or how tough the enemy is: **every enemy is killable**. And that's true for even the 2000+ elo Final Bosses.

That's why winning feels good. Really, really fucking good. No spoonfed victories. There are no safeguards. Failure is absolute. And therefore victory is too. That's why I loooooove the Lighthouse. I watch the intro cinematic in full everytime. It's magic, because it's been earned, truly earned.

But even failure can feel good, or at least the silver lining, is that every failure makes me better. True achievement comes from besting your previous self, from learning, from improving. I wrote a massive post about my first time getting to the Lighthouse without a carry, and that's because it was an achievement in self-improvement. The true Trials is inside.

Emblems have come to symbolize achievement in Destiny ever since the first expansion. They're activity rewards, but they also drop from killing raid bosses and of course, Trials.

Drizz & Rubenov got me this one:
CJd0Wi2WUAAM1uP.png

Rubenov & Wicked got me this one:
CSzQs-UUsAADhGs.png

Playing with Ape & Igor got me this one:
oPzytbW.png

And my greatest achievement is getting this one with Igor & Ape:
CZpbyhNWEAAk4fB.png

I fret a lot about whether I've really "earned" any of those emblems, because I view them as achievements, not just cosmetic options. The Year 1 emblem is a nice souvenir, but I didn't earn that, and don't feel like I can wear it. And it took 5 months after I got carried to actually earn my Hic Jacet. There are two emblems that you can't get from a carry: the Sun and the Scarab Heart. How can I wear the Sun when Igor has eight (8!) times more playtime than me? And the Scarab Heart, how can I wear that when Ape has gone Flawless over ten (10+!) more times than me? I worry I won't suitably represent the tier of player that's truly earned that, so when I play Trials, I put on the Moon of Osiris. I'm still the weakest member of my team. The Moon emblem all I feel confident in wearing. Not the Sun, just a reflection of its presence.

Ape has two consistent comments on my Trials game. One: I lack the confidence commensurate with my actual skills, and two: no matter how sweaty the game goes I'm really good at centering myself.

As a man who struggles with anxiety in everyday life, my natural inclination is to avoid stressful situations. I work at it, which is why I've had to learn how to center myself. And so Trials is good for me, even when it is scary. It's a chance to confront a situation that makes me nervous. And to do so with two guys who have my back all the way. That's why this weekend, I'm going to wear my Scarab Heart.

Ape, Igor, can't wait to play this weekend.

giphy.gif

DarKshodaN

Yep, 315 light is plenty for Nightfall. NFall, Challenge of Elders (the Lv42 Prison of Elders), running a hard raid (they didn't increase light level of enemies, only of the gear that drops), doing Trials, doing Iron Banner next time it comes back.... ranking up factions gives items up to 330 LL. Decrypting exotic engrams can go up to 335 LL.

Those are a few easy ways. With the new progression system it's very very easy to increase your LL.

NF rec. light was upped to 320 so it’s a bit tougher but still manageable by anyone 310+. I’d recommend going through Challenge of Elders a few times to get the guaranteed weapon/armor piece from the high and cumulative scores. Melee bonus this week. There’s no matchmaking but fairly easy to get a group of 3 on here or LFG to run through it, doesn’t take long either. Have your best stuff equipped when turning in packages, exotic engrams, etc. as drops will be based off your current LL. Raids are a good way as well, specially Challenge modes, but obviously tougher to get a group together.

Thanks guys this helps me alot!

Welcome back Hudson! People have got you pretty well covered with posts already but wanted to mention a detail about how the new loot system works. The drops you get (from faction packages, raids, NFalls etc.) will drop with a LL based on your character's current LL. The loot will always drop higher than your current character LL, as high as +6 LL above your current character level. So basically you'll always be making steady progress and it's easy to get your LL up without stressing too much.

Welcome back Hudson! People have got you pretty well covered with posts already but wanted to mention a detail about how the new loot system works. The drops you get (from faction packages, raids, NFalls etc.) will drop with a LL based on your character's current LL. The loot will always drop higher than your current character LL, as high as +6 LL above your current character level. So basically you'll always be making steady progress and it's easy to get your LL up without stressing too much.

Nice. I guess I haven't been doing the high level activities since the legendary stuff has been dropping at 290ish. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do some PoE stuff or something.

I'm so sad on weeks where neither Cryptarch has a special secondary. :(

Nice. I guess I haven't been doing the high level activities since the legendary stuff has been dropping at 290ish. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do some PoE stuff or something.

hmm yeah not sure what stuff you've been doing that drops that low. The only legendaries I ever get that low are when a blue engram decrypts into a legendary, the LL is really low for some reason. Same with legendary engrams that decrpyt into exotics, the LL is way low.

I'm so sad on weeks where neither Cryptarch has a special secondary. :(

haha tell me about it. I literally can't do anything with my characters, it's a nightmare. My vault and postmaster are a disaster right now. I should at least make my Hunter manageable for Trials but it bums me out to delete stuff when I'm mark-capped.

That 200 mark limit has never made sense, what a waste.

How can I wear the Sun which only drops from playtime when Igor has eight (8!) times more playtime than me?
Why do you think the Sun drops from playtime? I have 82 active hours in Trials and you have 36 and I don't have it. I think it was just a RNG drop in Y1 and a Scarab like random at 9 wins drop in Y2. I'm not 100% sure though.

Why do you think the Sun drops from playtime? I have 82 active hours in Trials and you have 36 and I don't have it. I think it was just a RNG drop in Y1 and a Scarab like random at 9 wins drop in Y2. I'm not 100% sure though.

I think you're right. I was just googling on how it drops, but I realized that the page I saw that said it drops from playtime was from House of Wolves. The moon definitely is based on playtime, though. I'll edit my post. Thanks for the correction.

I can also help if a date/time is set in advance - fair warning - I'm a decent helper, and I probably won't die - but I can't/haven't solo'd lamps.

I've done it twice, with 2 or 3 attempts each time, and I've never died during live play (sometimes die on the jump down).

Ideally you want 6 or make sure everyone is off line as if someone jumps in part way through it invalidates the run.

General tips:-
Make sure people have decent internet connections turn off wireless devices etc
Lamps - if possible have someone decent solo it, or invisi hunter it.
Bridge - no cheesing - just everyone take their time - generally ban rockets
Deathsinger - just a normal run - spend a bit more time taking out knights to avoid sloppy deaths
Crota - ledge strat - NO MOVING on the ledge - very careful use of rockets.

Wow. What a post John! You have perfectly encapsulated Trails for many people.

I am also VERY jealous of how calm you can be during the most difficult matches. I admire that about your play.

Now excuse me while I get emotional about this community and the wonderful people here.

Lee

General tips:-
Make sure people have decent internet connections turn off wireless devices etc
Lamps - if possible have someone decent solo it, or invisi hunter it.
Bridge - no cheesing - just everyone take their time - generally ban rockets
Deathsinger - just a normal run - spend a bit more time taking out knights to avoid sloppy deaths
Crota - ledge strat - NO MOVING on the ledge - very careful use of rockets.

I think this is all useful, but it's really not difficult. I would prefer to cheese the bridge, as it saves a lot of time and in the event someone dies stupidly later, it's better not to have wasted 30 minutes already.

What unique feelings does Destiny have? For me, that answer is in the Trials of Osiris.

XplicitOne likes to look up the ranks of his opponents and that's shown him going up against literally the #1 ranked player.

That's why winning feels good. Really, really fucking good.

But even failure can feel good, or at least the silver lining, is that every failure makes me better. True achievement comes from besting your previous self, from learning, from improving. I wrote a massive post about my first time getting to the Lighthouse without a carry, and that's because it was an achievement in self-improvement. The true Trials is inside.

As a man who struggles with anxiety in everyday life, my natural inclination is to avoid stressful situations.

Great post!

Trials is pretty much all that's left for me in Destiny, as well. I look them up so I can get a general feel before hand. I treat it like sports: check out the opponent beforehand to better prepare. I love the challenge and I go in with the mindset that I can win any match regardless of opponent. If the opponent is that much better and they win, then I give my GGs and move onto the next opponent because sometimes, just sometimes, there's not much you can do. This is a good segway to the next part, improving.

We can definitely improve as individuals but also as a team. We can position ourselves better, communicate better and plan better (heavy round, is a big one that can be better planned). I think of it like this since I like to help people: the better I can get individually, the more I can help my team. I don't care if I get a 2.0 K/D every round, I only care about winning. Here's one thing I need to work on more, for example:

It's 3v1 and I'm getting engaged with the single opponent. Now, if it's close, I usually always play it out and most of the time, we end up with a mutual kill, or "trading". Now, most rounds, this is OK. However, if it's in the later rounds and that is a sunsinger or they have another sunsinger that's dead, that can be a bad trade. It's also risky because he/she can get the kill and it'll turn into a 1v2 and he/she might have his super at that point. I need to basically learn to back off when I get close to one-shot/absolute and either let my teammates finish or literally just let that person run away. Of course this is even more situational. If they're about the revive a teammate, then I should go all in and try to kill them before they get the revive. This is where knowing where the orbs are and orb control is important. I also have come to terms with that sometimes it's best to just let them get the revive on a 2v3 if trying to get the revive snipe puts yourself in danger (which will then flip it from 3v2 to 2v3).

Anyways, overall it's better to keep yourself alive and not trade. This is actually MORE important when it's 2v3 because then you're leaving your teammate on a 1v2 afterwards. Of course a 2v3 is usually a tough position when against a good team regardless but it helps to try not to trade.

With anxiety, I'm learning to try to deal with that because my gf has huge anxiety. For instance, when I drive, I'm aggressive which basically maxes out her anxiety.

I think this is all useful, but it's really not difficult. I would prefer to cheese the bridge, as it saves a lot of time and in the event someone dies stupidly later, it's better not to have wasted 30 minutes already.

I assume you mean cheese by one person jumping over the bridge round the invisible walls rather than dying and self-resing? Does that work with more than 1 person in the fireteam?

Lee

I assume you mean cheese by one person jumping over the bridge round the invisible walls rather than dying and self-resing? Does that work with more than 1 person in the fireteam?

Yeah, one grabs sword and jumps across. I typically do that on runs but if someone else knows how I'm fine with that. There's a safe spot they can crouch with zero risk. Everyone else jumps on top of the far tower across from where you spawn in. From there they snipe the ogres. Takes all of 3 or 4 minutes, so even if someone dies later it's very quick from start to finish.

Also all this talk about how discord killed dgaf, for me at least it definitely makes me post less since my posts were mostly trials coordinating time or whatever and discord is better for that haha.

Anyone for COE? Need one more

Also all this talk about how discord killed dgaf, for me at least it definitely makes me post less since my posts were mostly trials coordinating time or whatever and discord is better for that haha.

Can anyone link to the destiny discord group! Seems like it would be handy!

Top Bottom