• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I did some prison of elders and i got a shark bazooka as a reward, i think that is what you guys call a year one weapon, also i totally didnt collect my loot in one of my runs because i ran out of time getting to the treasure. Oh and eroticsushi did a strike with me and i got the last word, so yeah a good night.

ocean

Banned
John, I love your site. Great work man. Your writing is excellent and you manage to articulate your reasoning very clearly. I hope to see you front-paged on Reddit sometime soon.

wait, high rof ARs are actually good in normal pvp? i've been back to playing destiny for the last few weeks, and i haven't tried them or noticed many people using them.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
wait, high rof ARs are actually good in normal pvp? i've been back to playing destiny for the last few weeks, and i haven't tried them or noticed many people using them.

seemingly everyone and their mom is using a doctrine in my games..

LTWood12

So, the promised day is here. Ape spent long enough badgering me to collect my
PvP
posts into a blog, and so I finally did it. Here, without further ado, is The Lighthouse.

Here it is:
I promise I won't be shoving the site in y'all's face. Instead, it'll be more of an archive for any of the good, longer form posts from the OT. I had fun learning a bit of Ruby on Rails and Jekyll (used by Github pages) to hack it together from a template I found. Web development has changed a lot since I learned HTML4.0 in high school.

I don't care at all about traffic to the site, and as proof don't have Google Analytics enabled. But feel free to click around and read through the posts. As always, I love any feedback from DGAF.

A few posts I have in mind for the future:
  • Your One-Stop Titan Guide
  • Gun Talk - The Chaperone
  • Light System - Post-April Update
  • and more!
Thanks so much for putting up with me and my long-ass posts. I've enjoyed working on my writing skills for y'all and hope you've enjoyed the output.

myfriends.gif

This is so great John. This took quite a bit of work I'm sure, but I know you must've had a great time doing it. So glad to have gotten to know you well in year 2 my man. Keep the fire.
220px-Keep_the_Fire.jpg

maybe i just haven't noticed.

what about the next ROF tier (the IB one, the dead orbit one, etc)?

The fastest RoF tier like Doctrine have quicker time-to-kill (ranges from 0.8 to 1.0 seconds, depending on how many crit shots you land and the armor stat of the enemy). The Doctrine in particular can get basically a god-roll for this archetype if you get Counterbalance on the last perk (it always comes with Persistence and Braced Frame). It's a freaking laser beam with a 54 round mag meaning it's possible to kill 3 or even 4 full-health enemies with a single magazine.

The next slower RoF tier like the IB auto has worse time-to-kill (range is 0.9 to 1.2 seconds) and it's harder to get as good of a perk roll. They aren't bad but they'll always lose to Doctrine in a straight 1v1 with comparably skilled users. Counterbalance Doctrine is arguably the strongest primary in the game currently. If you want an in-depth look at detailed stats including time-to-kill for every weapon, check out this link (useful bookmark):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L7FV9l4hXo2tHD3XlFUp854XvJIwTKFIPvASLduPPS4/edit#gid=0

Has anyone done any stats on the full auto peek and it's affect on TTK for pulses and scouts?

Not that I'm aware of, but the general consensus I've always heard is that full auto slightly increases the RoF of whatever weapon its on so you would expect TTK to be just a tad faster. People that use the Hori pad's full auto function say it lets you shoot (and therefore kill) faster and I assume having the perk in-game would do the same. Not a huge difference but noticeable anyway.

2real4tv

Got two to the morgue from Shaxx did not realize it was a crucible weapon, not the greatest perks with full auto and exhumed but at least it has rifled barrel. It is so hard to get Crucible weapons you want with the right perks, I wish they would stop giving me armor. Anyways went flawless on my Warlock for the first time.

Got two to the morgue from Shaxx did not realize it was a crucible weapon, not the greatest perks with full auto and exhumed but at least it has rifled barrel. It is so hard to get Crucible weapons you want with the right perks, I wish they would stop giving me armor. Anyways went flawless on my Warlock for the first time.

I've got a max range two to the morgue which I need to tryout

Cibb2YKWEAElSF-.jpg

what if I enjoy Trials but suck at PvP? :p either way I might have to take you up on that offer... what weapons do you prefer?

Trials anyone? Never been to the lighthouse and would like to go 😢

I'm super late with these responses but if you guys still want to either (1) run Trials together or (2) have me play your account for flawless then just let me know. You, or anyone else, can shoot me a PM if you have questions or anything. If you just want me to run your account then you can PM me your info.

@Smiley: I just use whatever guns each person has when I play their account. I prefer Doctrine/sniper/Truth but it's not a big deal. I just made do with whatever is on that account, that's honestly the main challenge of playing other accounts.

2real4tv

I've got a max range two to the morgue which I need to tryout

Cibb2YKWEAElSF-.jpg

Yeah mine is a similar roll slightly less impact then my party crasher but still on the fence about the tradeoff between rate of fire and impact, my party crasher also has crowd control not sure if this perk does anything.

X-Frame

Tier 12 Bladedancer dream is a reality! With all the right armor perks too.
so much effort for 6 second faster blink strike ;_;

Tarantella

Crest of Alpha Lupi

Nice! I found a good PvP combo with Tier 11. My gloves are shit quality (like 82% at 332) but they're INT / DIS, HC Reloader and Increased Grenade Throw Distance.

I haven't found a single other pair of gloves in Year 2 with that combo yet. I was really hoping for an Armor vendor refresh this update in addition to weapons for a chance at this roll. Oh well.

WeTeHa

Bungie probably thinks there is nothing wrong.

That special ammo nerf in pve is imo the worst/most annoying thing in the april update.

Bungie: "Too many people use 1kys..."

Why would I switch from my 1kys (which had 24 shots and is down to 18 with double sniper ammo boost) to another sniper with even less ammo? I think I can carry 11 rounds without boosts and 14 with both boosts for the longbow. That's just ridiculous.

The HMG ammo nerf hurt the raid machine gun, but I feel like it's not that bad as I don't use it that often anyway, but the sniper and shotgun nerf... ugh.

E92 M3

That special ammo nerf in pve is imo the worst/most annoying thing in the april update.

Bungie: "Too many people use 1kys..."

Why would I switch from my 1kys (which had 24 shots and is down to 18 with double sniper ammo boost) to another sniper with even less ammo? I think I can carry 11 rounds without boosts and 14 with both boosts for the longbow. That's just ridiculous.

The HMG ammo nerf hurt the raid machine gun, but I feel like it's not that bad as I don't use it that often anyway, but the sniper and shotgun nerf... ugh.

It's exactly what I was worried about, and I've said it months before. Everyone begging for nerfs got more than they bargained for. Bungie doesn't know how to be subtle, and snipers still work wonderfully in PVP - except now they are ammo starved in PVE.

It really sucks.

Great post! And a great site! The ideas and thoughts you have about the PvP aspect of the game are too good to just to be posted here!

I write about more than just PvP, ya know? <.< >.>

Anyway, your affection for only the PvP part of my writing is why I made sure to implement tags, so you can just browse the PvP posts. :p

Anyway, thanks for encouraging me and my writing. I'm proud of what I've put together.

By the way, the site supports multiple authors, so if you or others want to contribute posts, I can put them up too.

I write about more than just PvP, ya know? <.< >.>

Anyway, your affection for only the PvP part of my writing is why I made sure to implement tags, so you can just browse the PvP posts. :p

Anyway, thanks for encouraging me and my writing. I'm proud of what I've put together.

By the way, the site supports multiple authors, so if you or others want to contribute posts, I can put them up too.

I MIGHT actually take you up on that. I was thinking about my Trials experience as a whole and would like to do a big post about it. I realized yesterday, a few sentences, will not suffice for the wordsmith of Destiny PvP.

Nice! I found a good PvP combo with Tier 11. My gloves are shit quality (like 82% at 332) but they're INT / DIS, HC Reloader and Increased Grenade Throw Distance.

I haven't found a single other pair of gloves in Year 2 with that combo yet. I was really hoping for an Armor vendor refresh this update in addition to weapons for a chance at this roll. Oh well.

Yeah, having the right perks was crucial for me. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise (revive super helmet, auto rifle reload + grenade throw gauntlets, arc armor + sniper ammo chest, rocket ammo + last hope boots). I only had one good artifact so everything had to be built around that. Artifacts have by far the most variation and a sufficiently high roll can be hard to come by. Luckily I had enough of the correct gear w/ high stats plus tons of infusion material needed to hit max LL.

We were talking about it in Discord so I wanted to post some details for anyone here who might be curious about these builds. Basically you need to have all gear at 334-335 LL since the stat values will increase as the LL increases via infusion. But the gear itself also has to have a very high stat roll. If you use an app like Tower Ghost it will tell you the potential stat range for each armor piece. But exactly how much stat increase you get from infusion is partially RNG.

A LL300 piece might say 90-95% which means that if you infused it up to 335 the stats will reach somewhere between 90-95% of the maximum possible amount for that gear slot. For example, ghosts and class items can have 60 total points max (35 + 25), but they'll need to both have a high percentage and be 334-335 LL to reach that. Make sure you only infuse up gear that has very high percentages, since this will be necessary to hit tier 12. My tarantella build has a 97% helmet, 98% gauntlets, 97% chest, 99% boots, 100% ghost, 100% class item, and 97% artifact. Even with those high rolls all at LL335, I only had 8 "excess" points (303 INT / 300 DIS / 125 STR).

Therefore the last trick is to make sure you hit the right thresholds without much excess. I was locked into using my artifact and exotic chests, so I picked the other gear slots that could cleanly add to 120 for STR. A helmet spec'ed for your desired tier 2 stat will be 60+ points, combined with the ghost and class item where one is spec'ed and the other is not (35 + 25) hits the 120 threshold perfectly. Another good combo is boots not spec'ed (50+) plus the ghost and class item both spec'ed (35 + 35). You should be able to find a winning spec for the rest of your gear to hit the two tier 5/5 thresholds, as long as it's all high percentage and high LL.

Anyway, hope this makes sense for anyone OCD enough to bother chasing tier 12 builds.

edit: holy moly, more than 90 minutes without a post on a Monday morning? Thought for sure I'd end up on the next page.... time for a repost.

Top Bottom