• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

Deku Tree

They just did.

They mentioned it was designed and tested around six, they were surprised when the one orb strat was found, but since it was more efficient, that's what they do internally now.

Wait they were surprised that five players doing DPS is more efficient than having four players doing DPS?

Wait they were surprised that five players doing DPS is more efficient than having four players doing DPS?
There wasn't much elaboration, I think the fact that people did it with one orb at all was the suprise, not that five players out dps four.

Not a lot of deep design conversation in general so far during this stream. They are burning through the raid since it's normal mode, so not much time for discussion.

Deku Tree

I'm watching it hoping to see a wipe... looking like it's not gonna happen. This is a hardened raid team.

At least Cozmo keeps dying... that's something.

Deku Tree

The raid team apparently ran it last night for practice...so nobody is getting any drops.

I guess that's better than a bunch of 310 light drops with useless perk rolls?

At the end of the stream Deej said that the raid team had been practicing "all week" because they wanted to put on a "clean run" for the show.

Im looking to get back into destiny on the xbone, any uk gaffers want to make me feel welcome? :) i am a lighthouse vetearn, but took a 6 month destiny break

The only UK gaffer that plays XB1 Destiny that I know of is Irrotational. I'm sure there are more. I haven't seen Irrotational on in a while though.

Not a lot of deep design conversation in general so far during this stream. They are burning through the raid since it's normal mode, so not much time for discussion.

Maybe they will run the hard mode at a later date. At that time they can bring in some of the developers that worked on the Raid and they can chat about what they learned from Crota and what they learned from the TTK. That would be interesting to see. Maybe it would shed some light on what they are working on for the fall.

Or they could bring back SRL at some point. What the hell happened to that?

RdN

Isn't the point of the Raid Along supposed to be the devs explaining how it was made and tested? Hard Mode would pretty much ruin that.

Hard mode is VERY easy now with characters around 330, so it would still be easy enough for them to show stuff, and they would be able to show the Raid with all it's mechanics working.

Deku Tree

Hard mode is VERY easy now with characters around 330, so it would still be easy enough for them to show stuff, and they would be able to show the Raid with all it's mechanics working.

Deej came out and said on stream that they wanted a no wipe run. If they had done Hard Mode that run that they did on screen today would have had wipes because people
(cough Cozmo cough)
died.

GutZ31

Bungie them selves probably don't want people following their example of how a raid should be done on hard mode.
As a dev team, they 'could' bare all, but letting people experience it for the first time without a preconceived blue print of 'this is how to do it' makes for a much more frustrating, yet rewarding experience when you finally complete it.

They still could have done it, but I think the pros vs cons were a little more in the favor of just doing easy mode.

I really wonder how they completed the raid before, exactly.

It's really a typical response to say "It's close to the way we did it" LOL.

WeTeHa

I really wonder how they completed the raid before, exactly.

It's really a typical response to say "It's close to the way we did it" LOL.

Yeah, this was the information I was hoping to get in the stream. They said they didn't do oryx with touch of malice. Okay, cool. How did you do it? Two people on the daughters platforms shooting down? No bubbles in the middle?
I really wish they talked more about how the stuff was intended to be completed.

Or show some pictures of the unfinished product and work in progress, like show a couple of pictures of the different iterations of the golgoroth encounter, the symmetrical warpriest room, the stuff with red triangles they were talking about. Maybe a short section on the jumping puzzle before they cut it in half. I'm sure they have lots of documentation on that stuff. If you talk about the basketball court, SHOW it.

Isn't the point of the Raid Along supposed to be the devs explaining how it was made and tested? Hard Mode would pretty much ruin that.

The people playing the game and the people talking about the game were totally separate, in different rooms and couldn't hear each other. So the people playing on hard mode wouldn't have hindered the people in the other room talking about it. In fact it would have helped because they could have talked about all of the mechanics, several of which are not included in normal.

Personally I wouldn't have minded if they wiped a bit on hard mode, just to give them more time to talk about the details. It seemed like a lot of discussions were truncated because it takes 5 minutes to clear some encounters. Maybe it's just me but I would have liked to hear a whole lot more than they were able to say in the time allotted.

The only UK gaffer that plays XB1 Destiny that I know of is Irrotational. I'm sure there are more. I haven't seen Irrotational on in a while though.

*Waves* hey there! :)

I am still on occasionally but earlier in the evening my time so not crossing over with you so much :)

Seeing you and Boguester on Xbox I have been seriously swithering about asking to run a lighthouse card and watch you guys in action, but you will have better things to do! :)

I've got an Xbox message from dredgen yor so I'll connect up with him/her there.

Homeboyd

I bought a COCYTUS ticket months ago.

Last week the gunsmith finally had one with triple tap, lightweight and firefly. It was a perfect PVE roll for me.
I just got on the Cockatoo bandwagon. Picked up the order today. Now to enjoy not having that slot in my inventory for 38 weeks while I wait for a god roll!

Hi guys, i'm looking for a PS4 group for Raiding. I m down for all three raids. I've done all of them in the past but since the April update came out, I haven't found a good group to do some raiding with. Anyone up for some Raiding?

WeTeHa

Hi guys, i'm looking for a PS4 group for Raiding. I m down for all three raids. I've done all of them in the past but since the April update came out, I haven't found a good group to do some raiding with. Anyone up for some Raiding?

I can do some raiding. But doesn't look like a lot of other people want to :p

Bungie them selves probably don't want people following their example of how a raid should be done on hard mode.
As a dev team, they 'could' bare all, but letting people experience it for the first time without a preconceived blue print of 'this is how to do it' makes for a much more frustrating, yet rewarding experience when you finally complete it.

They still could have done it, but I think the pros vs cons were a little more in the favor of just doing easy mode.

Bungie themselves don't know the best strategies, so nobody would follow them anyway. They said on stream that they never realized 1-orb-Golgi was even possible, and they didn't use Touch of Malice for Oryx Ogres. That's not a criticism of them, that's just the reality of how optimal strats develop. The best strats will always be established by the collective community hive-mind over several weeks of thousands of players dissecting the content. People used to do two-gazers for Golgi or put bubbles on the Daughter platforms during Oryx but nobody uses those strats anymore because they're worse.

As for letting people experience it for the first time, I'm not sure what you mean. NM has been out for ~8 months and HM for ~7. Of course they shouldn't do a stream like this when content is brand new, but at this point in life cycle there's no reason to hold back. I know I'm biased as an "experienced player" but I have a hard time understanding why they couldn't do HM.

The raiders were mostly in-house testers who are presumably very competent players, and the talking heads could have talked about the full encounter designs which were scaled down for NM. I wanted to hear why Warpriest gains Taken powers, what Golgi's "Unstable Light" means and how Light-Eating Knights relate to Light-Eating Ogres. I don't think clearing HM (even with a few wipes) is asking much at this point. Just feels like a missed opportunity to me.

Just a quick 5 piece

giphy.gif

If I'd have gone to C I probably could have got a 7th Column :(

Top Bottom