• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

LTWood12

Just realized I didn't do the weekly crucible or 41 poe for a sterling treasure. Good job me.

edit: Everything I've seen has shown shine-on to be identical in benefit to inverse shadow. No more no less.

X-Frame

I think 131 stat points is the max at 335.
Edit: Pandora I'll run it later, still have some stuff to do. Maybe in an hour or so.

It's not glitched, it's just good. That's the kind of high roll you need for a T12 build.

Pretty cool! This seems to be the only one I have like this. I forgot to mention mine is currently 333 so it may gain 1 or 2 extra points at 335. Not bad.

Sorry man, I was going to run a card tonight but other stuff came up

No problem. I found a group and we made some attempts but it was just one technical issue after another. First game we played was fine, next three were lagfests like I've never experienced. We even had one match with two heavy rounds. We gave up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Very classy new OT!

To TPTB, whenever you have a chance, this:
DGAF_2016_03.png

Should say "Every 4th week... Saturday at 3:00PM" rather than Sunday.

Number45

Darnit, I forgot to get myself on the list of Guardian Lords. Who do I need to send info to?

So excited for my Shoulder Charge fix next week. Hopefully nothing breaks when they push that update.
Bungie: in order to fix shoulder charge, we needed to adjust titan melee range a little to compensate. Your melee hit box is now behind your back.

GhaleonEB

Well your pretty much right on point. I've found that the game is still fun to play.

I replaced shotguns with swords. Swords are more fun IMO. I think they nerfed shotguns in PvE to make swords feel more powerful.

Otherwise yeah as a PvE player the fact that they keep nerfing my favorite weapons because of PvP really sucks.

This is the kind of game where you want to feel powerful in PvE.
Yeah, that's what is so frustrating about tethering PvP and PvE weapon balancing. What issue was created by having awesome shotguns in PvE?

Bobs touched on it, but thinking it over, a lack of variety is at play as well. I kind of fell back to a handful of weapons because I didn't like how others were being adjusted (shotguns nerfed -> drop them for snipers, etc.) That left me with less variety in how I play, which meant I got burned out faster. I didn't realize it until you mentioned it, but using the sword probably contributed to that. It meant I stopped using rockets and machine guns much. Plus - and this is purely personal preference - after the novelty of the sword faded, I prefer using shotguns for close range fighting; it's more satisfying than mashing attack and pointing in general directions of enemies. But with shotguns nerfed so hard, I stuck with the sword, which contributed to my getting burned out.

I think it's fine to let both the shotgun and sword be powerful. I really don't understand why Bungie felt it had to be one or the other.

Reset week trials withdrawals are real.

I actually slept early (a little after midnight) for once, felt.. ok.

Overwatch beta hype! I have an extra PC early beta code if there's anyone out there that wants one. EDIT: Gone to Dave

Also, for those playing on PC, gimme your battle.net usernames!

I'll start with mine:

XplicitOne#1160

Dave_6

Reset week trials withdrawals are real.

I actually slept early (a little after midnight) for once, felt.. ok.

Overwatch beta hype! I have an extra PC early beta code if there's anyone out there that wants one.

Also, for those playing on PC, gimme your battle.net usernames!

I'll start with mine:

XplicitOne#1160

I'll take that PC code if you still have it!

ocean

Banned
Yeah, that's what is so frustrating about tethering PvP and PvE weapon balancing. What issue was created by having awesome shotguns in PvE?

Bobs touched on it, but thinking it over, a lack of variety is at play as well. I kind of fell back to a handful of weapons because I didn't like how others were being adjusted (shotguns nerfed -> drop them for snipers, etc.) That left me with less variety in how I play, which meant I got burned out faster. I didn't realize it until you mentioned it, but using the sword probably contributed to that. It meant I stopped using rockets and machine guns much. Plus - and this is purely personal preference - after the novelty of the sword faded, I prefer using shotguns for close range fighting; it's more satisfying than mashing attack and pointing in general directions of enemies. But with shotguns nerfed so hard, I stuck with the sword, which contributed to my getting burned out.

I think it's fine to let both the shotgun and sword be powerful. I really don't understand why Bungie felt it had to be one or the other.
HoW shotguns changed the game profoundly. They made Majors absolutely trivial, and made heavy weapons basically stand unused until you had to Gjallarhorn the boss.

To be clear: shotties could clean up Majors more quickly than machine guns or rocket launchers. Look up the old tests on Urzok or any Major Knight or Minotaur. And before "oh it was risk/reward", cmon. There's no risk. You stood in front of an enemy and melted him before he could ever respond.

Lots of people thought this was fun because power fantasy. I always challenge this logic by asking whether an Auto Rifle with bullets which could each one-shot an enemy would be fun - it certainly would feel powerful.

The way it stands now: snipers are awkward to use in many encounters because of how high the zoom is. Shotguns are comfortable to use but won't insta melt enemies so you have to use them carefully. Fision Rifles do decent damage at range but are slow and clunky so they too require careful play.

Meaning you'll end up using your primary and Sword/machine gun and secondaries, a healthy mix. Heavy is more important now that every secondary has drawbacks, and primaries are more important now that green and purple anmo is scarcer.

If anything, this pushes more variety than the old trash: Fatebringer; major: Found Verdict; boss: Gjallarhorn stalemate.

If you're currently inclined to run PvE for whatever reason you'll find yourself out of ammo, or having the wrong secondary equipped, or having to retreat to pop a super or chuck a Hail Mary grenade.

I can see how some people liked the old rampaging destruction romp with zero risk challenge or hindrance vs the current slower, more strategic approach to encounters. It's perfectly fair to have a preference one way or another. But I think it's important to separate instances where you dislike what Bungie is doing from cases where you feel they're clueless and just randomly ruining things.

Chucker

I can run 2.

heavy
It's alright, I was putting the youngest down for a nap. Now the oldest and I are going Mother's Day shopping.
I'll be on later.

Edit: I didn't even know about the discord. Let me set myself up.
What's the discord info?

ocean

Banned
Dammit.
Thanks.
Hilt attacks are actually significantly stronger than your real melee and actually count as melee hits everywhere including CoE. It can be a situationally useful solution.

If what you wanted was ammo-less heavy kills: rip. Can't be done.

WeTeHa

I need NF as well

Sweet, just join up and we'll start.

It's alright, I was putting the youngest down for a nap. Now the oldest and I are going Mother's Day shopping.
I'll be on later.

Edit: I didn't even know about the discord. Let me set myself up.

Okay. Then we have 1 spot for NF.

Edit: I'll start alone, Jaf is playing overwatch :p
2 Spots, just join if you want.

Can someone explain discord to me and how to I get to the dgaf bit of it?

Also is it just lnkn I pm to get the taken king symbol added to my guardian lord?

Korosenai

Anyone up for a hard mode raid this weekend? Like Saturday or Sunday? I haven't done it yet, most I've done is war priest.

On xbox

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guys destiny is on sale on PSN, i'm gonna get it. I think there's a co-op quest only new people can make so maybe i could use some help with that

The weapons I use and like got hit pretty hard. Shotguns are no longer fun in PvE; the most fun I ever had with Destiny was when they were awesome and I ran my heavy stealth build. Then they hit it for a 40% reduction, faster drop off, less ammo....it's just so frustrating. Sidearms never were useful and I don't use them. I don't like using fusion rifles, and so didn't ever really use them either. The combined effect of the adjustments to the snipers - scopes, scope time, stability, clip - made me feel like Bungie was going after the one remaining class of secondary weapons I still liked to use, and I really felt the cumulative effect of that after the patch. It was frustrating and sucked a decent amount of the fun from using them. That my main was a 1,000 Yard Stare meant it got hit even harder, despite Bungie themselves saying it was balanced. Then they whacked my precocious MIDA - again while noting that it was already balanced.

They've played whack-a-mole where they're hitting each weapon down harder, and finding a new weapon sticking up a bit higher, so they hit it down, then repeat. For a game about power fantasies, I feel like Bungie does not actually want us to feel powerful in PvE any longer, with all the weapon nerfs. If you do, they'll take a whack at it even if it's balanced. By their own admission, and actions.

And yeah, sterling treasures + the implementation of chroma pushed me over. I really can't express how huge of a turn off it is to get a grab bag of loot each week. I don't want it, I don't value it, and it actively subtracts from my desire to play the game because it's slowly tapping the brakes on playing for the loot. I don't play for some flashy box opening animation and free loot each week for signing in. I play(ed) for wonderful gun play, feeling awesome about my character, and getting good loot through activities. I feel like those things are gone or going fast in the game. I just don't get it. I can't ignore how bummed I was about what it meant for the direction the loot game is going. The hugely cumbersome chroma implementation did it as well. Great feature. Aggressively player unfriendly approach.

This is not the Bungie I've been a fan of since 2001.

So they hit the only weapons I liked to use hard, then implemented a monetization scheme to the loot I find straight up depressing to see in the game. I put it down and walked away, hoping this fall's expansion restores some of the magic.

For the first time, I'm pessimistic about the direction of the game. It's turning into something I simply don't want to play, even with new/refreshed activities. And I loved this game up through Taken King.

Sobering and salient points.

Top Bottom