• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Welcome! The Vault of Glass is made for a 6 person team, so it's no surprise that you can't solo it:). A lot of people are usually around in the evenings, so it you post a time then people will usually respond if they're available and they want to raid (people usually want to raid).

PvP ignores light levels (except for Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris, which are the endgame PvP events), so your lvl. 1 Kvostov auto rifle does the same damage as a lvl. 40 light 335 Shadow Price. The only difference is perks, where legendaries and exotics have a bit of an advantage because they have more perks available, such as faster reload, more damage after a kill, more stability, etc.

Ah I see thanks a lot for the succinct and clear explanation as well as the warm welcome. Very much appreciated! :)

My e-penis enlargement was huge. Used Coins of 3 and thanks to the dozens of Shades we killed I got 3 exotic engrams and a shitload of purples.

yeah Lagrider told me about that after the game, i did not know the shades counted towards Ultras and could be farmed with coins :D oh well, still happy!

How does light level vs individual weapon level work?

For example if I have a 305 Primary but my overall light level is 315, am I doing the light level damage or the individual weapon damage when I use it?

For example if I have a 305 Primary but my overall light level is 315, am I doing the light level damage or the individual weapon damage when I use it?

Im not 100% positive but I think both. Say you had 2 of the exact same weapon one at 320 one at 310 but your overall light stayed the same no matter which you have equipped. I believe the 320 one would do more dmg up til 330. I think the dmg boost for light levels ends at 330. You're overall light level does increase dmg as well though whenever it increases. Like I said not positive but that's how it was explained to me before when I asked.

soultron

Banned
Reposting.

Oryx Challenge at 11 PM EST in hard mode. I have the checkpoint so hopefully it will be a short and sweet run.

1) SlimySnake (TheNegativeDude)
2) Dez
3) McKarkus
4)
,5)
6)

Can I join you? I'm 331 Hunter but don't have Touch of Malice. I've run Oryx CM before but only in NM.

I need Oryx HM for my Moments of Triumph card. :)

grief

I'm way late to the party to finishing my triumphs and I might be screwed now that ToM has been nerfed? I still need Oryx HM/CM (which it looks like I can do separate) and the new Prison of Elders.

If I run through the new PoE content, will I likely find more 310+ gear that will help me be less screwed in the buffed Oryx HM? I really should've finished that when I had the chance...

soultron

Banned
I'm way late to the party to finishing my triumphs and I might be screwed now that ToM has been nerfed? I still need Oryx HM/CM (which it looks like I can do separate) and the new Prison of Elders.

If I run through the new PoE content, will I likely find more 310+ gear that will help me be less screwed in the buffed Oryx HM? I really should've finished that when I had the chance...
Do Oryx CM in NM then use the rest of the week to get gear for Oryx HM. You don't need to get Oryx CM in HM if you don't want to. You can get the Calcified Fragment from NM. You do need to beat Oryx in HM for the Moments of Triumph but it's safer to break the two tasks up since you're probably under geared for HM right now. The Calcified Fragment for Oryx CM won't come back in the rotation before the end of Moments of Triumph though, so do it ASAP.

I would have guessed the exact opposite.

Yeah I think damage is mainly based on overall light...once enemies are level 40 plus. I'm not sure particular weapon light enters into it.

As an example I was using word of Crota in a void burn heroic strike and it was critting for 6k headshots. Decent damage! I don't think a void hand cannon at double the light would have done double damage.

I've not seen a maths thread on reddit for awhile but when TTK came out people were working it out then.

Overall light level has generally acted like a damage slider that is applied to any particular weapon attack versus enemy defence calcs.

In the old days being one level down was something like a 10% reduction in damage and 2 levels down was a 30%. It was a really blunt tool.
In TTK they changed it so the reduction was spread over 40 light levels rather than 2!

grief

Damn, thought I had enough to finish my CoE card. Need 20k more points. Anyone want to go through a run of CoE? Light 311

PSN is geneticfoil

I've never done CoE before but if I can be useful at 311, I'd love to give it a go. PSN: xGrief

Do Oryx CM in NM then use the rest of the week to get gear for Oryx HM. You don't need to get Oryx CM in HM if you don't want to. You can get the Calcified Fragment from NM. You do need to beat Oryx in HM for the Moments of Triumph but it's safer to break the two tasks up since you're probably under geared for HM right now. The Calcified Fragment for Oryx CM won't come back in the rotation before the end of Moments of Triumph though, so do it ASAP.

Gotcha thanks! I assume all the usual sources for high end gear (310+) are still around? Nightfall, regular raid drops, CoE?

Clunker

Despite those guys being jerks to me in the Court, I went back again as I needed to complete a quest, and luckily the three randoms I got that time were a lot nicer and let me join in.

It's great when you do a strike or anything of the sort on this game that involves match making and you end up playing alongside genuine, decent players. I think not communicating to them via a headset makes it a more hilarious and unique experience, especially as you can simply build up a bond by using an emote or two.
The international language of dance.

Works every time! I'd run VoG several times where people without headsets would dance or wave to indicate which side they were teleported to at Atheon.

Lots have said it but getting kicked at the court of oryx was rather douchey of them, if only because more people make life easier generally. If you get even one or two people from here or a Reddit fire team it will be much more friendly.

I've never done CoE before but if I can be useful at 311, I'd love to give it a go. PSN: xGrief

Gotcha thanks! I assume all the usual sources for high end gear (310+) are still around? Nightfall, regular raid drops, CoE?

We'll probably need a 320 or higher peep, but it's doable.

Any other high light guardians willing to help?

soultron

Banned

Yeah, the usual spots. Stock up on 3oC if it's not too late to see Xur as well, those might net you a few quick exotics in Crucible. I'd hold onto them without decrypting because that's based on your equipped LL when you're using the Cryptarch.

Also! You should try to level factions since faction reward packages usually give weapons and gear very close to or higher than your current equipped LL when you open them!

Also, make sure that if you're looking for Calcified Fragments that you finish the Tier 3 Court of Oryx bosses for their fragments. There are 3 CFs from COO that rotate every week and you need to get the one from the boss this week if you don't have it or else the reset will come on Tuesday and you'll lose your chance to get that particular CF.

No problem. I jyst realized it was normal mode and it would've likely wiped out my hard mode checkpoint.

Normal and hard checkpoints are separate.

No, you're doing less damage.

305 LL with 315 LL primary will do more damage.

Weapon light matters more than overall light in terms of DPS.

JJShadow

Big thanks to JJShadow and AuthenticM for taking me on the House of Wolves missions with them. My LL was too low, but we managed. And I found out that I have some very badass weapons from Year 1 (Icebreaker, Shadow Price), which don't mean shit now. lol At least my armor with reduced revive time came in handy.

Yeah it was a really nice run, you did pretty well taking into account your LL, congrats! Just let me know every time you need help

So I lost my court of Oryx virginity earlier, that was certainly.. something. It was insane to say the least, and I could certainly tell that I was the weak link amongst the four. I think the three randoms I got put with were arseholes to be honest, they kept shooting at me in between each round obviously telling me to go away, and then when I finally used my first rune, they stayed at the top and watched me take on the enemies on my own :(

And then one of them added me as a friend and invited me to his play list, so silly me thinking they were being friendly accepted, and then they kicked me immediately out the play list and I was put back into orbit :(

Apart from those guys being dicks, I still had fun.

How do I get more runes?

Wow fuck those bastards, really. I've found way more nice and decent people using matchmaking than complete jerks, but I know they can ruin your day

I do CoO usually, so if you need a partner for it send me a FR > JJShadow77

Regarding runes, the best way to farm them is by completing Eris quests, playing CoO itself and farming chests in the Dreadnought. Some bosses can drop them randomly as well, but I'd rather rely of those three

Hey guys, a bit LTTP with Destiny, just finished the story and wanted to do the Vault of Glass raid but found it quite hard to do solo, and was wondering if anyone wanted to do it? Maybe not now, but whenever any of you guys are free. I just thought since the Destiny OT is one of the most active community threads, I'd post here.

PSN: Kralamoonard

I live in the UK for reference :)

Also was wondering how PvP works? Are the weapon damage standardised from the campaign or people with exotic white weapons going to be more powerful than those with blue weapons?

Welcome to the community! I'm waiting for the weekly reset to get a quest that involves beating VoG, so count me in. I also live in UK so maybe any day this week around 6-7 pm would suit me if we manage to gather a group of 6

robo

On the court of oryx the etiquette is you shoot the rune you want people to place, so if someone is after a stolen rune to ne filled he would shoot the their 1 statue, this way your tiet1 rune will fill his tier 2 stolen, same for tier 3. To fill it you must use tier 2 stolen runes.

Three tier 1 fills a tier 2 and three tier 2 files a tier 3.

On t3 runes you must find the method of killing the bosses, if you haven't done them before, YouTube them, it's makes everything easier. Same with all boses really, otherwise you wasting bullets and time.

Watching people shooting the ogre, begore blowing up a cursed thrall next to him, gets me everytime.

So I lost my court of Oryx virginity earlier, that was certainly.. something. It was insane to say the least, and I could certainly tell that I was the weak link amongst the four. I think the three randoms I got put with were arseholes to be honest, they kept shooting at me in between each round obviously telling me to go away, and then when I finally used my first rune, they stayed at the top and watched me take on the enemies on my own :(

And then one of them added me as a friend and invited me to his play list, so silly me thinking they were being friendly accepted, and then they kicked me immediately out the play list and I was put back into orbit :(

How do I get more runes?

Sorry to hear that. Guys like that don't represent the community as a whole, at least not on here, as everyone I've grouped with has been great and insanely helpful.

If you need anyone to help you with CoO, I'm in. You can send me a request and just ping me if you see me online in Destiny.

PSN: geneticfoil

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
eah. Sure. 331 Hunter is fine. Touch of malice shouldn't matter jyst bring a high powered sniper for the knights on hard mode. Golden gun should also take out the knights easily if you have the helmet that grants you four shots.
Can I join you? I'm 331 Hunter but don't have Touch of Malice. I've run Oryx CM before but only in NM.

I need Oryx HM for my Moments of Triumph card. :)

soultron

Banned
eah. Sure. 331 Hunter is fine. Touch of malice shouldn't matter jyst bring a high powered sniper for the knights on hard mode. Golden gun should also take out the knights easily if you have the helmet that grants you four shots.
I'll bring my Hereafter or 1000YS. ;)

I don't have that helmet but I will go Gunslinger, sure!

Sidearm meta has arrived ;)

This thing shreds in the crucible. Absolute monster.

CsGtSU7VYAEIFQz.jpg:large

robo

Bugger, looks like no warlock play for me this week, she is almost leveled up on all bounty givers

Hunter can do coe and titan cam do coe and coo,

Ah well roll on the 20th, starting to smell the coffee

Reaching the end of my second day on Destiny, really enjoying it a lot. My Titan has reached level 30 now, and I just got my first exotic from the Prison of Elders. It's all been a blast so far, and I've only scratched the surface.

I think I'll use my Spark of Light to level up a Warlock, maybe? They seem pretty fun.

Edit: The one thing I will say is fuck the Oracles, those big yellow light thingies in that one House of Wolves mission. I couldn't understand why I kept dying at first until I realized. Then I kept dying because I couldn't kill them all in time. Took me a few more attempts than I'd care to admit.

Just a quick question guys, I've only got Vanilla Destiny so what's the easiest way to get an exotic weapon or armour? And my god that class though :O
(Meanwhile I'm only rocking the blue stuff lol and everyone here has purple and white :p).

Also, just so I know if it is a gaffer, is anyone here called X_SKYGAMEZ_X?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Reaching the end of my second day on Destiny, really enjoying it a lot. My Titan has reached level 30 now, and I just got my first exotic from the Prison of Elders. It's all been a blast so far, and I've only scratched the surface.

I think I'll use my Spark of Light to level up a Warlock, maybe? They seem pretty fun.

Edit: The one thing I will say is fuck the Oracles, those big yellow light thingies in that one House of Wolves mission. I couldn't understand why I kept dying at first until I realized. Then I kept dying because I couldn't kill them all in time. Took me a few more attempts than I'd care to admit.
Second day and level 30 already.

You will fit in well here

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

The notion of someone experiencing the Oracles for the first time, at level 30, in a story mission, is wrinkling my brain...

Delete it Ruthless, it's no good ;-)

Fight me 1v1

My Sidearm Vs your Fusion.

The notion of someone experiencing the Oracles for the first time, at level 30, in a story mission, is wrinkling my brain...

Honestly I feel if they are not going to bring VoG and Crota into year 3, they might as well add matchmaking just for them.

No Destiny player should miss out on the Vault of Glass experience.

Yeah, I assumed they were from some raid or something that I hadn't met before because the game seemed to gloss over what they were or how I was supposed to deal with them. I haven't done any raids yet, and only a couple of strikes.

I've just started the first Taken King mission and the opening cut-scene has left me with a craving for space combat.

Guys, regarding helmets with similar defence levels, should I equip the one with intellect (+11) or discipline (+20)?

Also 135 Boots with +28 intellect or 139 boots with +28 discipline?

Guys, regarding helmets with similar defence levels, should I equip the one with intellect (+11) or discipline (+20)?

Also 135 Boots with +28 intellect or 139 boots with +28 discipline?

Intellect helps charge your super faster.

Discipline recharges your grenade faster.

Strength for melee..

Always equip higher light level gear as soon as you get it, it will make your subsequent loot drop at higher light levels (up to +6 your current light)

How do I get more runes?

Damn i wish i could find those guys and just squat their games.

Dynasty8

I recently got back in and really loving the game so far. The gameplay is amazing. I'm currently a LL310 and was just wondering...do people still do the Crota raid? I never got the chance to do it during the vanilla days and can't find any active LFG groups for it. I just want to complete it to experience it once at least and also get the trophy for it too. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

(I'd be more than happy to help out with Vault of Glass for any new players too...haven't done it in almost two years, but I remember it perfectly).

Agent

I was finally able to get 2 Eyaslunas to drop this weekend for the first time ever. Which is the better one? I'm guessing the first one. The Rifled Barrel / Braced Frame combo seems pretty good to switch up based on the map being played. It seems to also have some crazy aim assist with Sureshot / Hidden Hand.

Truesight / Sureshot / Quickdraw
Spray and Play
Extended Mag / Braced Frame / Rifled Barrel
Hidden Hand

Steadyhand / Fastdraw / Quickdraw
Triple Tap
Snapshot / Braced Frame / Oiled Frame
Luck In The Chamber

Top Bottom