• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

NeOak

I finally sat down to bang out the 25 crucible kills for the sword quest, and I think I've discovered a new best PvP mode: inferno rumble, only sword hilts, grenades and supers. I honestly scored my first Rumble win ever just running sword hilt on inferno rumble, cackling the whole way. It turns Destiny into a janky-in-a-fun-way stealth-action brawler.

I hope you aren't doing that to get the MoT, because next armsday is after RoI launches.

Clunker

I hope you aren't doing that to get the MoT, because next armsday is after RoI launches.
Nope, but thanks for the heads up - I'm totally fine not grinding my ass out for an emblem I won't use anyway, picking up 40 fragments, etc.

I'm still burned and disappointed in myself from trying and failing to get the Y1 MoT after 5 hours of slamming my face into Skolas. :( So I'm fine with my regular ol' look.

Hey, anyone running a KF NM or maybe even HM Thursday around 4pm Eastern? I have the eve mostly free and would love another run. Never tried HM but I'm 319 light now.

Really trying hard to actually run Heroic King's Fall tonight. Would love to do it with GAFers if possible. Gt is HippoAvenger. On starting now, message/add/invite me.

I have a simple lore question:

Why are the Cabal on the Dreadnaught in the first place? Why create a beachhead?

Is it because the taken attacked Phobos? Why DID the taken attack Phobos?

Blunoise

I have a simple lore question:

Why are the Cabal on the Dreadnaught in the first place? Why create a beachhead?

Is it because the taken attacked Phobos? Why DID the taken attack Phobos?
Yes, and they were actullay going the blow it up from the inside. Which is why on the bond brothers strike, we went in and stop them because they would had blow up our solar system

Edit: also they sent a distress call to their empire....so maybe Destiny 2

Zocano

Looking back on it, it's kind of crazy how much extra explorable area there is in the Vault of Glass. I wonder what they had planned for some of the weirder esoteric platforming bits.

Looking back on it, it's kind of crazy how much extra explorable area there is in the Vault of Glass. I wonder what they had planned for some of the weirder esoteric platforming bits.
Wasn't there some quest that used a bunch of that stuff? Was it NTTE? I can't remember, it's been awhile.

Trakan

RoI record book preview:

pY1XK2.gif

Yes, and they were actullay going the blow it up from the inside. Which is why on the bond brothers strike, we went in and stop them because they would had blow up our solar system

Edit: also they sent a distress call to their empire....so maybe Destiny 2

The Taken attacked Phobos because they want to take over the world.

And yes, it's because of Phobos.

I thought they rigged up the explosives in order to get their primus back?

Retaliating because of Phobos does make sense though. I still wonder why The Taken started there though.

Zocano

No, the Primus was basically "dead" as soon as he was Taken because it effectively is such. They wanted to blow up the ship (and therefore kill Oryx???) as revenge suicide since blowing up the ship would cause a system-wide explosion.

Retaliating because of Phobos does make sense though. I still wonder why The Taken started there though.
Probably because Phobos was easy for them to take(which it was) and it was a good strategical position because it's right next to Mars and gives them a better position to start attacking Mars or something. Then they would slowly move through the planets until they got to us as they were building their army.

But it's probably because two of the cabal were making fun of Oryx there and he didn't like that :p

Right now, Phobos represents the furthest point in our Solar System we've reached in Destiny (outside of the Reef). So they started on the outside and planned to work their way in.

WizzNARD

Really trying hard to actually run Heroic King's Fall tonight. Would love to do it with GAFers if possible. Gt is HippoAvenger. On starting now, message/add/invite me.
I'm hoping to hop on in 30-45, just got home and have to eat and stuff. I'll join if you still need someone then.

Arrrammis

So friends, I am in the market for a clan. I had a small clan (4ish people) of whom only me and sometimes one friend are still playing, and with the new clan stuff it would be great to get into a Gaf clan. I recall a few from a long time ago, but which ones are still active?

P.S. unrelated question, is there a way to change my Gaf name? It would be really handy to have it match my PSN.

nowai

So friends, I am in the market for a clan. I had a small clan (4ish people) of whom only me and sometimes one friend are still playing, and with the new clan stuff it would be great to get into a Gaf clan. I recall a few from a long time ago, but which ones are still active?

P.S. unrelated question, is there a way to change my Gaf name? It would be really handy to have it match my PSN.

We've played a few times together. Feel free to hit me up anytime I'm online.

PSN: sunvsthemoon

Pm nirolak i think.

Hey Destiny GAF - Question for you...

I've never played Destiny but have been interested since the original came out. I just always was playing something else and never got around to it. With the latest expansion and the complete collection coming out next week, I'm thinking of diving in.

My question is - is there a site, youtube video, or other resource I can use to get a better idea of the structure of the game? I'm curious about what kind of modes there are, how long the single player is (none of my real life friends are gamers..) and other general stuff.

I ask because the gameplay looks great and I know there are a lot of people spending tons of hours in the game, I'm just curious what the gameplay loop is like.

Thanks!

I've never played Destiny but have been interested since the original came out. I just always was playing something else and never got around to it. With the latest expansion and the complete collection coming out next week, I'm thinking of diving in.

My question is - is there a site, youtube video, or other resource I can use to get a better idea of the structure of the game? I'm curious about what kind of modes there are, how long the single player is (none of my real life friends are gamers..) and other general stuff.

I ask because the gameplay looks great and I know there are a lot of people spending tons of hours in the game, I'm just curious what the gameplay loop is like.

Thanks!

We will be glad to have you aboard. And you'll never run out of friends on destinygaf

Wow where to start. There is about 2 years of content to dive into so you'll be plenty busy.

Not completely sure where to direct you. However the game is simple to understand. It's systems aren't over cumbersome and does a good job explaining everything as you go.

Once you get through the story content the game has a slew of end game activities to progress. Mostly strikes and crucible and a ton of quests.

All to get ready for the best content in the game. The raids

milkham

Thanks!

I'll try.

The game has a story that you see by progressing through the story missions, pretty standard. you select each mission from the map.

There are weekly activities for pvp and pve content.
The Daily this is a random story mission with a reward of 15 legendary marks
The vanguard strike playlist, these are 3 man missions that are more difficult than the story missions and have rewards based on the playlist you choose and your vanguard streak ( how many strikes you've done consecutively) You get a bonus of 30 legendary marks (in game currency you use to buy guns and armor and other stuff) per week and one legendary engram per character (legendary engrams decrypt into random weapons and armor)
The Weekly Nightfall This is a random strike with additional modifiers like grenades recharge faster etc that has higher level rewards than the strike playlists
The Raid There are currently three raids but only one that is relevant for highest level gear. Your progress is saved and you have a week to get through it for each character. The Raid gives you access to the highest level loot.
The Challenge of Elders this is a 3 player mode that is sort of like a score attack mode? each week there is a score bonus active say for grenade kills or super kills stuff like that. Potential rewards here are also highest level.

PVP has a Daily game mode, you get marks for completion each day and a Weekly game mode that persists the entire week. If you complete a long PvP questline you get access to special PvP bounties that will get you rewards equivalent to the weekly Nightfall rewards.
Usually, every weekend starting on Friday there is a game mode active called Trials of Osirus this is a 3v3 elimination playlist and winning 9 matches gets you highest level rewards.
Additionally every month or so there is a PvP event called The Iron Banner. This is a 6v6 mode that can also earn you the highest level loot.

Once you finish the story mode your progression will generally be doing nightfalls and PvP to increase your level to meet the requirements for the Raid.

Top Bottom