• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Kicked back to 214k after being at 335, lol. And to think, I had already been signed in for hours when this all started.

This is where the Wii U gamepad comes in handy.

Nags

Banned
Crazy numbers

You woukd think they would at least try to anticipate traffic but who knows what the resources allocated to them are

They do have Destiny 2 on the horizon

That's not an excuse. They released a new expansion, they should have anticipated it.

Jinjo

Sorry but no Destiny launch of any expansion has been like this. So stop acting like this is normal.

It's not normal for Destiny.

This is the first time this has happened to Destiny indeed. Which is why people need to stop overreacting over an hour of downtime. And it's not even really downtime, you can get in. It just queues everyone.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when the Alpha was released and everyone was expecting there to be server issues but it was 99% rock solid, and then Bungie said that it was all credit to their technical team that handled the servers and how they impressed everyone else in Bungie.

They must be on Destiny 2 right now.

Well they probably are. The truth is this has to be the smallest launch so far (which is still big) but also the only one to have problems like this. Even release day of the base game was solid, TTK didn't even log players out. Honestly this actually is quite surprising, something must've changed somewhere.

Sorry but no Destiny launch of any expansion has been like this. So stop acting like this is normal.

It's not normal for Destiny.
To be fair, Destiny 1 was nigh-on unplayable for a week after launch in select countries. So yeah, hiccups should always be expected. It sucks, though, hope you guys get in soon.

EL CUCO

Welcome to Year 3, ladies and gentlemen.

I woke up with morning Iron and Bungie managed to kill that with number 2649020 in queue.

Zocano

So, we're apparently in agreement.

Nah. I'm fairly chill about server launch hiccups. Run of the mill for me. Destiny + TTK Launches were the exception not the rule.

Pretty sure that's how businesses work. Make more money. Expand and improve your services etc.

Regardless, no one can log in after an hour now. Explain or defend this how you like but it shouldn't be happening at all.

Well, for one, it is exactly how business work, yes. Which is why the servers have most likely downsized over time. This is especially likely as most of their budget is probably going right to Destiny 2 and they're coasting on Destiny as long as they can. It's why we saw basically no "new" content for all of year 2.

Two, I agree it shouldn't be like this but I'm not flustered or outraged that another being multiplayer launch has server hiccups.

Zakalwe

Banned
Pretty sure that's how businesses work. Make more money. Expand and improve your services etc.

Regardless, no one can log in after an hour now. Explain or defend this how you like but it shouldn't be happening at all.

And we don't know what's causing it. So "it shouldn't be happening" is just as pointless.

Toddler

Honestly...I'm not even mad. For a game that's two years old to be getting swamped this heavily during hours that we should all be asleep...pretty impressive. You've come a long way, Destiny.

I love the sentiment here, but the truth is, this is pretty ridiculous. After numerous events without a hitch, it's obvious someone dropped the ball here.

My guess is someone overestimated the lack of legacy consoles when figuring how much server space would be needed to launch RoI.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
When we all start playing, we'll be exhausted from waiting

The queue did its work, the true Raid Boss!

Zakalwe

Banned
You guys and gals getting twisted do realise that dozens and dozens of unexpected problems could be the cause of this, right?

All it takes is a little human error or oversight and even the best laid plans and preparations can go to hell.

We're an hour after launch, people, chill your grills.

Top Bottom