• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Maybe some of us have been a part of game launches for a while now, or maybe some of us work in tech/online and understand that "shit happens" is a very legitimate phrase.

It's not a big deal at all, and there are dozens of reason why it could happen.

We all need to relax and wait it out patiently.

How much time off work did you take?

SgtCobra

Something must have gone terribly wrong or Bungie didn't expect these kind of numbers, are they underestimating their own game once again?
I'm going for the former.

GorillaJu

This is brutal.

I was online, got into the tower before I was kicked out in the first place.

Now at 320k after getting kicked three times. EMBRACE THE NOT KNOWING (if I will get to play tonight)

Sure this is still early in the day
and the problems are evident. Wait to later and it'll get slowly more hectic. Who's to blame? Bungee or Activision?

Melchiah

Maybe some of us have been a part of game launches for a while now, or maybe some of us work in tech/online and understand that "shit happens" is a very legitimate phrase.

Maybe some of us were there, when Destiny alpha, beta and vanilla launched, and had no issues, and thus expected this launch to be the same. Not to mention, that I buy the majority of my games day one, and this is the first time I can't play something I've bought at launch. There may be bugs at release, but at least you could play them, unlike this.

It's a big deal, when I've paid for something that doesn't work, at all.

Love that I got booted twice, losing my low number position. Now it looks like the queue is actually working and I'm stuck in the back...

😔

Sure this is still early in the day
and the problems are evident. Wait to later and it'll get slowly more hectic. Who's to blame? Bungee or Activision?

Yup everyone acting like it's going to get better makes me laugh.

We are the 1% that wakes up at reset to play. Just wait for the other 99% of people who play after work.

Don't log off after you get on today. Don't idle!

Zakalwe

Banned
Maybe some of us were there, when Destiny alpha, beta and vanilla launched, and had no issues, and thus expected this launch to be the same. Not to mention, that I buy the majority of my games day one, and this is the first time I can't play something I've bought at launch. There may be bugs at release, but at least you could play them, unlike this.

It's a big deal, when I've paid for something that doesn't work, at all.

It 's an hour or so after launch. Sometimes things go wrong with online games. Destiny launches before were the exception, not the rule. You can't ha e had much experience with online launches before, and you certainly don't work in the tech/online world where you see this stuff from the inside and understand how it works (or doesn't work, as the case may be).

It's not a big deal, and in a few hours your game will very likely work just fine.

Feels good to get to 9k and then get to 300k.

This queue doesn't even work hahahahaha

It very likely isn't a queue. More a way to keep the servers from being hammered while they work on it.

Melchiah

No, you pay for it early and get access the exact same time as everyone else.

There is no "early access" unless you actually get access before people who didn't pre-order, which is not the case here.

The point is, in case it escaped you, that people paid for the game before its release, but aren't getting access day one.

Carn82

I totally agree. I'm responsible for 10 servers of our company; and our infrastructure is relatively simple, but scaling up still takes time. You try to scale up when needed, but there is a difference that you're infrastructure "is looking good on paper and should be able to handle -amount of traffic-" compared to having a giant influx of traffic, overloading things or actually exposing flaws. Maybe it's just a small part in your chain that wasnt able to handle X-amount of concurrent connections.

That said, I do think that Bungie should do a form of regular beta/stresstests. But I guess that they do not want or can spend the resources on that.

Stargypsy

Since I have some free time to make a post, 78865 in line.
I played Destiny on the Xbox thru TTK before taking a break to catch up on some other games. I wanted to get back into the game with the new expansion but most of my friends I played with moved over to The Division and aren't planning on picking it up. I've always kinda regretted missing out on the exclusives with the PS4 and I actually prefer the DS controller, So I'm starting fresh on the PS4.
If anyone else is in the same boat and would like to team up sometime, My PSN is Star_Gypsy. If anyone would like to do the "refer a friend" please let me know. I would really like to get that shader.

And I've been booted from the queue. I knew I shouldn't have taken my eyes off the tv.

Threads moving so fast, Probable not the best time to post this.

a mess of what magnitude? it's the middle of the night an hour after release. calm down.

LOL. How are you reading this as me needing to calm down?

A number of people, known to Bungie, pre paid for this expansion yet couldn't, and still can't, access the content at the time Bungie said it would be available. Right?

Top Bottom