• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Zakalwe

Banned
I totally agree. I'm responsible for 10 servers of our company; and our infrastructure is relatively simple, but scaling up still takes time. You try to scale up when needed, but there is a difference that you're infrastructure "is looking good on paper and should be able to handle -amount of traffic-" compared to having a giant influx of traffic, overloading things or actually exposing flaws. Maybe it's just a small part in your chain that wasnt able to handle X-amount of concurrent connections.

That said, I do think that Bungie should do a form of regular beta/stresstests. But I guess that they do not want or can spend the resources on that.

Precisely. Servers cost, a lot, especially at the level needed to support a game like this.

Now, I'm not making excuses in that regard, Activision/Bungie can certainly afford to overspend to help prevent this, but as you say it sometimes looks perfectly fine on paper and the live environment kicks up a fuss.

Plus there are dozens and dozens of little errors that can cascade into breaking issues, we have no way of knowing what the precise issue is here. They could have overspent on twice the servers required and still run into an issue.

I'M IN MOTHERFUCKERS

mnlgh.gif

BashNasty

It 's an hour or so after launch. Sometimes things go wrong with online games. Destiny launches before were the exception, not the rule. You can't ha e had much experience with online launches before, and you certainly don't work in the tech/online world where you see this stuff from the inside and understand how it works (or doesn't work, as the case may be).

It's not a big deal, and in a few hours your game will very likely work just fine.

It's always good to see reasonable people in threads like these. Problems with launches typically get blown way, way out of proportion (at least on NeoGAF) because people fail to properly comprehend that shit can, indeed, happen. Yes, it's easy to be disappointed when you can't get into a thing you've been looking forward to right away immediately!!! but try to keep things in perspective. One hour, even two or three, really isn't all that much time.

In essence: chill it out people, everything is gonna be just fine.

LOL. How are you reading this as me needing to calm down?

A number of people, known to Bungie, pre paid for this expansion yet couldn't, and still can't, access the content at the time Bungie said it would be available. Right?

already been addressed. online launches are very commonly riddled with issues like this.

I was in the game when the reset happened. Got kicked.

Got in the queue at #3300...got to 335, then got kicked.

Back in the queue at 113000, up to 80 000...then got kicked.

Back in the queue at 215 000. Up to 150 000...got kicked again.

An hour and a half later, here I am at #330 000.

I'm a patient guy who's worked in IT, and I know server stuff is complicated. But if they don't get this resolved soon, I'm about ready to declare fiasco. The East Coast is waking up soon, this is only going to get way worse without more capacity.

Wallach

I totally agree. I'm responsible for 10 servers of our company; and our infrastructure is relatively simple, but scaling up still takes time. You try to scale up when needed, but there is a difference that you're infrastructure "is looking good on paper and should be able to handle -amount of traffic-" compared to having a giant influx of traffic, overloading things or actually exposing flaws. Maybe it's just a small part in your chain that wasnt able to handle X-amount of concurrent connections.

That said, I do think that Bungie should do a form of regular beta/stresstests. But I guess that they do not want or can spend the resources on that.

Hard to say. Given the previous content releases and their overall CCU I'm inclined to think it is something beyond load issues. Especially given their queue is failing this significantly at managing clients.

Melchiah

1. It's still day one.

2. Stop being absurd.

Day one isn't over lol... it's barely begun ;)

I'm done with arguing over the matter. This fiasco just means, that I won't buy anything from them before I kown it actually works as it should.

Don't pay for a game before release then.

It really is that simple.

There were no issues like this during the previous Destiny launches. So, it's pretty obvious now, that they've scaled down on server capacity, and the result is this.

To be fair: alpha, beta, launch, dark below, house of wolves and taken king have not had this... And the player base is still high.

the fact that they've been so great at launches before this shouldn't be a negative. if anything, it should make people more understanding that there's finally a little hiccup with one of them.

I'm done with arguing over the matter. This fiasco just means, that I won't buy anything from them before I kown it actually works as it should.

There were no issues like this during the previous Destiny launches. So, it's pretty obvious now, that they've scaled down on server capacity, and the result is this.
Dude you're taking this way to seriously.

1. It's been 2 hours and you're acting like they just stole RoI from you.

2. Yes, no other launches did his. Someone could have made a mistake. Maybe some new thing with RoI messed up the servers. You can't just assume they scaled down server capacity because I can't see any reason to do that when this game still has a very large player base.

You are really over reacting over this. You're acting like it will never work, ever. "I won't buy anything from them before I know it actually works as it should." And what difference does this make? You'll buy it eventually.

Again, it's been 2 hours. Calm down.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's always good to see reasonable people in threads like these. Problems with launches typically get blown way, way out of proportion (at least on NeoGAF) because people fail to properly comprehend that shit can, indeed, happen. Yes, it's easy to be disappointed when you can't get into a thing you've been looking forward to right away immediately!!! but try to keep things in perspective. One hour, even two or three, really isn't all that much time.

In essence: chill it out people, everything is gonna be just fine.

It gets to me as I work in the online world. I've been a part of some large projects recently, and client/customer expectations are alms or always absurd (although when it's their turn to take responsibility they seem happy to make excuses).

Shit. Happens. Online.

It's a fragile and beautiful world, baby.

Good. Although I would look up the word fiasco to ensure you use it correctly in future.

Arrrammis

Hopefully people who get in are able to stay in :p. I expected some kind of server issues at launch, glad I made myself sleep for an extra 2 hours.

Top Bottom