• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

eggydoo

buddy got this last night....made me throw up a little

LQyZyWi.png

Looking for advice for what I need to prioritize for post-story content:

• Buy 350 Ghost
  • Exchange Class Item Engram for 350 class item from Shiro
  • Get my 350 Artifact
  • Ghorn Quest
  • Khvostov Quest
  • Shiro's Weekly Bounties
  • Post Story Quest
  • Strike Playlist
  • NF
  • Crucible

Now taking this into account

So for efficient leveling:

1) Buy a 350 Ghost from Vanguard or Crucible for 75 Marks
2) Exchange a legendary class item engram for a 350 Iron Lord class item from Shiro
3) Play Story and finish quest to get 350 Iron Lord Artifact (no sprint lock, lololol)
4) Decrypt stored engrams to get as high as you can, probably topping out at 350ish.
(Decrypting in the lowest slot you have before trying a new slot.)
5) Run strikes for high light blues to get higher than the 350 soft cap. You can also try Crucible & Archon's Forge I suppose.

Is that accurate?

It seems that before 350 engrams are great for light level boosts. Afterward, engrams are mostly for getting a new roll on a piece of gear, i.e. you'll have to find your light level increases from activities.

I played for 7 hours yesterday and went from 328 to 350 Light. Overall the expansion is great so far but definitely not what The Taken King was. We knew this would be the case but it doesn't make it any less noticeable. There really weren't many quests and new small missions after the story like TTK had, although it may very well be time gated. I am looking forward to the raid, and we all know raids and nightfalls (and Crucible/Trials if you enjoy the PvP) will be the focus in a couple weeks once we are higher light and these low level activities are no longer viable.

I finished the campaign twice (second time with a friend), climbed Felwinter's Peak and completed all the strikes, along with all the quests given to you after you complete the story (minus any secret ones waiting for us that have yet to be revealed). I tried the Archon's Forge and did not like it at all. It felt more restrictive for other players to join in and the rewards aren't very good either. I did it for the bounties and quests and will likely just do it for those week to week, it was not enjoyable. I have the 3 exotic questlines on the go right now as well but none completed
Ghallerjorn, Thorn and Khostov - have I not received any others that have been found yet?

I didn't infuse any gear yet, I am just using the new gear I get that is at the highest light level and then I will decide what to infuse into from Year 2 later. I do not plan on burning through the content (and burning myself out) like previous years. All that work to get 3 320 characters this time last year is worthless since you will easily level up when playing now with the better gear. All my friends played the April update and got to 335 and yet now on day 1 I am higher Light than any of them.

It is definitely worth $30 for a Destiny fan. For someone wanting to come back and didn't enjoy previous content this won't change your mind.

Looking for advice for what I need to prioritize for post-story content:

• Buy 350 Ghost
  • Exchange Class Item Engram for 350 class item from Shiro
  • Get my 350 Artifact
  • Ghorn Quest
  • Khvostov Quest
  • Shiro's Weekly Bounties
  • Post Story Quest
  • Strike Playlist
  • NF
  • Crucible

Now taking this into account

All of that is pretty much on the nose. I went to 328 to 350 light following those suggestions and did so in my playtime of 7 hours yesterday (note that I replayed the story again with a friend and Felwinter's Peak was a 1 hour affair with the group of 3 I was in), so in reality it took me 5.5 hours to get to 350 and start working on getting above the soft cap and ready for the raid.

I didn't do any PvP, I don't like competitive multiplayer.

That jumping puzzle in the iron temple is just disgusting, whoever thought of that should be fired. Like your fucking game doesn't have good jumping mechanics or collision.

Also time to main Bladedancer in the Crucible. The new exotic boots will let me be as quick as lightning with Mida. And the new exotic gauntlets will give me two OP grenades. Plus other great Bladedancer exotics from Y2.

All of that is pretty much on the nose. I went to 328 to 350 light following those suggestions and did so in my playtime of 7 hours yesterday (note that I replayed the story again with a friend and Felwinter's Peak was a 1 hour affair with the group of 3 I was in), so in reality it took me 5.5 hours to get to 350 and start working on getting above the soft cap and ready for the raid.

I didn't do any PvP, I don't like competitive multiplayer.

Nice, I think I will just focus on doing this with my Hunter right now. I don't feel like rushing all 3 characters through. Not trying to burn myself out too fast and I always have those post-story missions left on my other characters that I hate seeing when I load into them lol

That jumping puzzle in the iron temple is just disgusting, whoever thought of that should be fired. Like your fucking game doesn't have good jumping mechanics or collision.

I was like you yesterday. Spitting venom at Bungie for this stupid thing, but I eventually got it.

A huge tip that made it much less frustrating is when you biff a jump, don't try to save it. Just let go of the sticks on the controller. That way you don't accidently land lower and the game would use that as your respawn point. That tip really saves you when you get up near the top.

Just got around to trying out the new expansion but did they intentionally nerf the sprint just to add an artifact? Something feels way off.

EL CUCO

Haha it was the most fun I've had in a long time on Destiny. Watching random Guardians plummet after bouncing off a rock like it's a trampoline.

Also time to main Bladedancer in the Crucible. The new exotic boots will let me be as quick as lightning with Mida. And the new exotic gauntlets will give me two OP grenades. Plus other great Bladedancer exotics from Y2.

Nice, I think I will just focus on doing this with my Hunter right now. I don't feel like rushing all 3 characters through. Not trying to burn myself out too fast and I always have those post-story missions left on my other characters that I hate seeing when I load into them lol

Yeah I do not want to burn through the content ASAP. I am focusing on my main (Titan) and that is all. With so many 340/350 drops I can easily infuse them on my other characters to boost them up whenever I feel like it.

Xeyark

Unconfirmed Member
I think I probably put in 7 hours yesterday and went from 308 to 344. I enjoyed the story even though it was shorter than I'd like.

Though I'm not sure what I'll do from here. My usual fireteam of IRL friends from the last two years have quit the game. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out here for people looking to run some activities.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I went from 335 to 347 without even starting the first mission of the expansion.

Bought three items from the 200 marks i had saved up.

- 350 Class Item (Didnt know about legendary trade in to Lord Saladin)
- 350 Ghost
- 350 Artifact

That brought my overall light level to 338. Then went to the legendary engrams i had saved up over the past couple of days and along with a few exotic engrams I went up to 347 pretty quickly.

Had a legendary and a Rare decrypt into high level Exotics so that was cool too.

They key was to buy those 350 items to immediately increase my light level three points. Because otherwise the vanguard and faction level up rewards were giving me 337 items that didnt even increase my light by a single point.

lionelhutz

I've been playing Destiny as a hunter since launch and always feel like I have to relearn the game when an expansion is released. I've been using the Hung Jury scout rifle since TTK and I'm anxious to level my exotics, but I also don't want to waste exotic shards. I'm mid 320's now and that seems a bit low to start leveling my hand cannon exotics. Any thoughts on what makes the most sense for exotics and any other good, primary, legendary weapons to look for?

I was like you yesterday. Spitting venom at Bungie for this stupid thing, but I eventually got it.

A huge tip that made it much less frustrating is when you biff a jump, don't try to save it. Just let go of the sticks on the controller. That way you don't accidently land lower and the game would use that as your respawn point. That tip really saves you when you get up near the top.
Yea, I learnt that the hard way just let it go...

I don't know what happened but checkpoints started to kick in, finally got it finished and I don't wanna leave now.
Haha it was the most fun I've had in a long time on Destiny. Watching random Guardians plummet after bouncing off a rock like it's a trampoline.
You're a disgusting person just like whoever thought of that puzzle.

Tjamato88

I really should start some new characters. I have a Titan at level 20 and my two Sparks of Light. One is the level 25 bump and the other is the level 40 bump.

Am I the only one bothered by how the game called the ship in the Giant's Husk area an "oil tanker", yet it's filled with old shipping containers?

Jabronium

Is there an accurate listing of what weapon perks actually change (for example, rifled barrel adds ? To range stat)? Found a couple on Reddit but they're coming up on a year old, not sure if still relevant.

Seibmoz

I'm asking this again but doesn't anyone know the answer to this. I thought that Saladin was suppose to sell the old Iron Banner but all I have for him is shaders and Emblems?

Afrocious I see you posting on twitter. Get back in here.

Also I'm confused how do I get one of the Iron Lords' artifact? I completed the story.

Zakalwe

Banned

It's awful. Awful. If you take your time and take a slight breath before each jump, you can getthrough it very quickly though. There are only 4-5 jumps that require you to really think about positioning (outcrops above you pushing you off, needing to sprint, etc..), the rest is is easy if you don't let the frustration get to you.

I can make it up in a clear run each time now I've finally done it.

Supremecy is shotguns the game type. It's absolutely awful.

Disagree. It's wonderful. You can bait guardians out into the open, get tonnes of double kills, and you don't even need a shotgun to do it if you plan your routes and don't charge around the map like a lunatic.

It's a great game mode imo.

ACR0019

Anyone found a good Archon's Forge explainer? I have no clue what I'm doing in there. Are there tiers to the offerings? Where are the rewards located if I beat the event? Where do I find the 350 LL offerings?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I love this, because, well, I'll never be able to carry people to Mercury, I'll never do a raid blindfolded, I'll never get a Seventh Column medal, I'll never have a min-maxed character, and I'll never top out my Grimoire. But fuck if I didn't get to the top of that mountain in under 20 minutes and have a blast the entire time. I'd take 20 more puzzles like it and spend some cash on my very first bit of Silver if Bungie put in the dev time to do that just for goofball players like me. :p

Destiny actually has super tight, responsive controls and great collision detection. There were some quirks to learn for this puzzle such as what a god-awful idea it is to push against the mountain and jump simultaneously, and how often you want to just let go of the stick during descents.

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone found a good Archon's Forge explainer? I have no clue what I'm doing in there. Are there tiers to the offerings? Where are the rewards located if I beat the event? Where do I find the 350 LL offerings?

Offerings are found from killing splicers. I got my 360 offering from the PL.

Supremecy is shotguns the game type. It's absolutely awful.

Arguably, pretty much anything is Shotguns: The Game Type now. The pair of Rumble games I played last night were 95% Juggernaut Strikers sprinting around with shotguns and almost never pulling out their primaries.

I haven't found Supremacy too bad as far as shotguns go. And, as eggydoo said, I'll happily take this over what most of TTK was (where "variety" was whether your opponents tended to hardscope or quickscope).

Edit: Top of the page whoops late for work no pic lol

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I love this, because, well, I'll never be able to carry people to Mercury, I'll never do a raid blindfolded, I'll never get a Seventh Column medal, I'll never have a min-maxed character, and I'll never top out my Grimoire. But fuck if I didn't get to the top of that mountain in under 20 minutes and have a blast the entire time. I'd take 20 more puzzles like it and spend some cash on my very first bit of Silver if Bungie put in the dev time to do that just for goofball players like me. :p

Destiny actually has super tight, responsive controls and great collision detection. There were some quirks to learn for this puzzle such as what a god-awful idea it is to push against the mountain and jump simultaneously, and how often you want to just let go of the stick during descents.

I'd say the collision detection is TOO good, lol.I get caught on or bounced off of everything. -_-

A personal favorite of mine is the new ship jumping puzzle thing in the revamped Phogoth strike. Watching people who apparently never did KF try to figure it out is pretty funny. Had a guy rage quit last night because he couldn't figure it out...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Forgot to share this yesterday. A dumb animation I did Monday night to celebrate the ROI launch.

I took this:

cxpwpyP.gif

...and made this:

qa8t78p.gif

Zakalwe

Banned

Destiny has great controls and CD for the game proper, but in terms of jumping puzzles they're absolutely god awful.

I like the raid JP because you have use of your jump abilities to compensate, but the mountain is one of the most poorly designed areas in a AAA game I've found in forever.

Janky, frustrating, counter intuitive, terrible random checkpoints (be better with none tbh), and horrible overall design.

Still, it's easy if you understand the jank and don't let it get to you, but calling it good is too far beyond my comprehension.

I hope they put more in the game for you, Hawk, if you enjoy them this much (weirdo), but I hope if they do I can ignore them entirely

(I won't ignore them, completionist disease).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd say the collision detection is TOO good, lol.I get caught on or bounced off of everything. -_-
Hahaha yeah it's pretty unforgiving, every rock is "real." After realizing that though, it is predictable at least.

I'm still salty about all the invisible walls once you get too high. :[
Forgot to share this yesterday. A dumb animation I did Monday night to celebrate the ROI launch.

I took this:

cxpwpyP.gif

...and made this:

qa8t78p.gif
Art.

Strider

This is the first time I've ever had all 3 classes at max level... The record book giving some legendary gear at a decent LL for all 3 classes is great.

Top Bottom