• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

zewone

So i got Gjallarhorn earlier today and it dawned on me that this expansion is really not adding anything to the game.

Yes there are a few new spaces, gear and quests, but what has Bungie really done this time? Where is the innovation? As far as I can see, it's just more content on top of the new mechanics and QOL updates they did last year with TTK. Everything is an updated or remixed version of an existing location, mechanic or idea. Archon Forge for instance, as fun as it can be, is literally Court of Oryx in a less convenient location with even less convenient drop rates.

Quests still have me running around vast expanses chasing triangular shaped drops. The Splicer Fallen are pretty much exactly the same as the normal Fallen. People are still running around in the Crucible the exact same way they've been running around for the last two years.

I wasn't really expecting much to change given the scope of the expansion and the timeframe it was made in, but I'm sitting here with virtually no interest in the new Raid and no desire to farm Strikes and chase blues all over again.It's not like the game is dropping me interesting shit like the transition from HoW to TTK. I'm just infusing everything I already have because why use anything other than Hung Jury and an Exotic Sword? Even Gjallarhorn pales in comparison to the fantasy brought on by the Swords and yet it was used to give the expansion's marketing campaign some weight.

I felt lost in the beginning of The Taken King because there was so much new stuff and so much to do. I feel lost in Rise of Iron too, but for a different reason - because I've seen all of this shit already.
Nailed it.

spyder_ur

I don't understand people who are annoyed at the game for being stingy with 350+ gear...progression above 350 is mainly suppose to come from raid gear and NF.

But atleast there is a way to do it otherwise unlike how it was before where after a certain point raid and NF were the only options. Apart from that legendaries will drop higher with a good chance and you can get 3 guaranteed legendaries everyday.

Raid recommended level might say 360 but you can easily tackle anything 10LL above without much penalty...that's how it has always been. But now atleast you have a way to exceed that limit before you even play it but it doesn't mean you have to.

Just because there are people who are hitting 370 and 380 via sinking enormous amount of time does not mean you have to as well. You won't get left behind.

It can feel that way about getting left behind, and I don't think there's a ton of value of people posting super high levels. It's a light-level measuring contest. But yeah, perspective is often lost in these early days of an expansion when people are rushing levels when the reality is, it will make very very little difference in no time at all. If the raid is doable at 365-370, then once again we're in a spot where being above that makes very little practical difference.

I also find the complaining about the grind way overstated. It can't be that bad when so many people are posting above raid completion levels before it's even released, right? However, I think it comes from a lack of options to level up. There was also a time in TTK when the best way to level was to run strikes. However, we had 4 or 5 new ones to run combined with updates, so it didn't seem so bad. There was also CoO and more quests than you knew what to do with. Here, we're left with one new (IMO underwhelming, uncreative) strike and a couple remixes. Quests dried up very quickly and they didn't bring activities like CoO, CoE, etc. up as a way to level up. So it felt restrictive.

In short, it was a content problem, not a light progression issue, to the extent it was a problem at all. My $.02

Feorax

Just got an Angel's Advocate from the Vanguard. Perks are as follows;

Outlaw/Who's Next - Perfect Balance/Armour Piercing Rounds - Firelfy.

Thoughts? Reminds me a bit of a scout I had in Y1, the name of which I can't remember...

JayHayabusa

Looking for patient chill scrubby people to check out the raid blind tomorrow at 5:30PM Eastern. Min LL 355. No other requirements, just want to throw ourselves at it and see what sticks. Not under any pressure to finish the thing, so if you are looking for a way to check it out and can deal with many wipes, I will do my best to keep morale high ;)

Quote this post for a spot

1. Hawk
2. Androo

I'm in if there is still a place. Im currently at 351 but will be farming Omni or Sepkis to get above 355.

Im jayforone on PSN

Melchiah

I really like how the new Hunter gear looks with the Vallsgärde shader. It has a certain Sith kind of look to it.

RoVclSs.jpg

So i got Gjallarhorn earlier today and it dawned on me that this expansion is really not adding anything to the game.

Yes there are a few new spaces, gear and quests, but what has Bungie really done this time? Where is the innovation? As far as I can see, it's just more content on top of the new mechanics and QOL updates they did last year with TTK. Everything is an updated or remixed version of an existing location, mechanic or idea. Archon Forge for instance, as fun as it can be, is literally Court of Oryx in a less convenient location with even less convenient drop rates.

Quests still have me running around vast expanses chasing triangular shaped drops. The Splicer Fallen are pretty much exactly the same as the normal Fallen. People are still running around in the Crucible the exact same way they've been running around for the last two years.

I wasn't really expecting much to change given the scope of the expansion and the timeframe it was made in, but I'm sitting here with virtually no interest in the new Raid and no desire to farm Strikes and chase blues all over again.It's not like the game is dropping me interesting shit like the transition from HoW to TTK. I'm just infusing everything I already have because why use anything other than Hung Jury and an Exotic Sword? Even Gjallarhorn pales in comparison to the fantasy brought on by the Swords and yet it was used to give the expansion's marketing campaign some weight.

I felt lost in the beginning of The Taken King because there was so much new stuff and so much to do. I feel lost in Rise of Iron too, but for a different reason - because I've seen all of this shit already.

I get it.

However three out for 4 expansions have been this way. Bungie went out of their way to tell people this isn't TTK level of expansion.

We still have a new raid, a new social space, new weapons and armor, ornaments ROI book progress and supremacy along with new PVP maps.

There are new exotics too.

It's $30 bucks. seems pretty fair to me and does what it needs to do, give me something new to chase with my friends in Destiny.

X-Frame

Is the vendor Event Horizon sniper good for PvE? Hidden Hand and Spray & Play with a 3 round mag seems iffy when I have the 1KYS w/ Triple Tap.

Not sure which one would do more DPS.

Kyne

a lot of people are very concerned with the end game.

for me, it's about the journey.

My brother/girlfriend/best friend and I are having a blast.

I think Bungie fucked up my releasing the raid this week. Now everyone is rushing to 360+ and 3 days after release people are already upset at the (forced) grind.

spyder_ur

Is the vendor Event Horizon sniper good for PvE? Hidden Hand and Spray & Play with a 3 round mag seems iffy when I have the 1KYS w/ Triple Tap.

Not sure which one would do more DPS.

I bought it and yes, it's very good in PvE as boss DPS. Only 3 rounds, but Spray and Play reloads it in a flash.

That being said, no I'm not sure it would out-DPS the Triple Tap 1KYS.

a lot of people are very concerned with the end game.

for me, it's about the journey.

My brother/girlfriend/best friend and I are having a blast.

I think Bungie fucked up my releasing the raid this week. Now everyone is rushing to 360+ and 3 days after release people are already upset at the (forced) grind.

I kind of agree, but honestly they didn't release enough content to push it back. If they didn't release the raid this week, I think alot of people would have lost interest with what is here by mid next week, personally.

Variks gave me 367 Hand cannon after turning in a sigil.. but once per week is not cutting it. So its only the raid and Exotic engrams that will give you light above 365?

There's strike specific weapons/armor from Skeleton Keys, other faction rank ups, CoE Sigil, Exotics, Nightfall, crucible weapons (minor annoyance - these should drop at your max level so PvP is actually a progression path and you don't have to equip blues).

Anyone know a good resource I can find what exotics can upgrade to what level? I have loads of old exotics and want to max out some of my favorites from year 1/2. I just infuse with a shard and monies as usual, correct?

Any old exotics i really should upgrade? Any lists of what can/cant?

Zakalwe

Banned
I really wish the raid wasn't being released so soon. I'd love to have seen a series of weekly events in place for the first couple of months leading up to the release of the raid so people could get ready for day one without the panic grind.

I know day one isns't important, but for people wishing to go in blind who won't be able to for a while longer there are going to be a lot of spoilers floating around and less people in the pool when they come to put a group together.

Anyone know a good resource I can find what exotics can upgrade to what level? I have loads of old exotics and want to max out some of my favorites from year 1/2. I just infuse with a shard and monies as usual, correct?

Any old exotics i really should upgrade? Any lists of what can/cant?

You can see all the exotics you own that can be upgraded at the exotic kiosk near the class vendors in the tower.

When you consider that Destiny 2 was supposed to launch now, and this DLC was put together by the Live team in a pretty short timeframe, you really should have been adjusting your expectations of what ROI was going to be.

It is conforming to my expectations pretty much exactly. New content but nothing with any depth.

I'm not really that hyped about the raid - I think it will be Crota 2.0 but I'm OK with that.

Honestly, blasting the Gjallar-horn as I rip past people on patrol has been worth the $30. But that's just me :)

X-Frame

I bought it and yes, it's very good in PvE as boss DPS. Only 3 rounds, but Spray and Play reloads it in a flash.

That being said, no I'm not sure it would out-DPS the Triple Tap 1KYS.

Thanks! I think it's looking like the next vendor purchase when I have marks to spare.

so started a new character as a warlock (and used the 40 boost), good choice?
other character is a titan.

does the warlocks jump get any higher, seems very limiting,

SexyFish

Banned
So I've been away for a while, just finished the Taken King campaign.

What's the quickest way to boost my light level to get started in Rise of Iron?

I really wish the raid wasn't being released so soon. I'd love to have seen a series of weekly events in place for the first couple of months leading up to the release of the raid so people could get ready for day one without the panic grind.

I know day one isns't important, but for people wishing to go in blind who won't be able to for a while longer there are going to be a lot of spoilers floating around and less people in the pool when they come to put a group together.

You can see all the exotics you own that can be upgraded at the exotic kiosk near the class vendors in the tower.

Ah i'm not at home right now but will check that for sure! Thanks.

Is that the only "way"? I have an old MIDA and Jade Rabbit that i'd like to bring to the 380/s if possible. Same with TLW and Hawkmoon.

Zakalwe

Banned
so started a new character as a warlock (and used the 40 boost), good choice?
other character is a titan.

does the warlocks jump get any higher, seems very limiting,

Good choice entirely depends on your preference.

Warlock's jump is the main reason I don't like playing the class, but then Titan >>>> all so...

Kyne

So I've been away for a while, just finished the Taken King campaign.

What's the quickest way to boost my light level to get started in Rise of Iron?

if you're at least 280 right now, playing through the RoI campaign (about 2 hours long) will get you to 320 with the end-mission gear.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ah i'm not at home right now but will check that for sure! Thanks.

Is that the only "way"? I have an old MIDA and Jade Rabbit that i'd like to bring to the 380/s if possible. Same with TLW and Hawkmoon.

You can't upgrade those directly. Any exotics that can be upgraded to Y2+ you will need to first buy with marks (150) from the kiosk. You can only buy the items you've unlocked via drops or Xur sales.

They'll then be available to buy any time for 1 exotic shard plus some glimmer (in case you decide to dismantle for any reason).

Or you can pray to the gods of rng for a fresh drop!

void666

Banned

Destiny 2

This DLC is exactly what i was expecting. I'll play for a couple of weeks and move on.
BF1 is right around the corner.

You can't upgrade those directly. Any exotics that can be upgraded to Y2+ you will need to first buy with marks (150) from the kiosk. You can only buy the items you've unlocked via drops or Xur sales.

They'll then be available to buy any time for 1 exotic shard plus some glimmer (in case you decide to dismantle for any reason).

Or you can pray to the gods of rng for a fresh drop!

Ah crap that's what i get for taking so much time away from Destiny :/

So i can infuse... but only the "year 2" versions of exotics? like if i get a 350... i can take it to 380+ after i purchase by infusing?

dawgparty

Do any of you guys like the Monte Carlo for a Defender Titan build? Thinking about it. Between that and Twilight Garrison from Xur this week.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I have a constant quest marker at the tower right now. I have no clue what it is for.
Pretty sure I ran around and talked to everyone and no change.

Any ideas?

KxoZz

don'tlistentohislies.jpg

Anyone who disagrees doesn't main a warlock :)

cool will give it a try. felt very limiting that i couldnt make jumps to higher platforms

loving the nova bomb. hows sunsinger (spelling?)

Sunsinger is the subclass you'll start using the most once you get to endgame stuff due to the self-res super and best grenades of any class imo. It's more of a passive/support subclass.

Agent

I have a constant quest marker at the tower right now. I have no clue what it is for.

Any ideas?

It's a bug. It has something to do with completing the year 1 Thorn bounty.

I have it too and it's triggering my OCD for completing all quests. :p

Zakalwe

Banned
Ah crap that's what i get for taking so much time away from Destiny :/

So i can infuse... but only the "year 2" versions of exotics? like if i get a 350... i can take it to 380+ after i purchase by infusing?

Any item that was updated to y2 can be infused to the new maximum.

The y1 versions that cannot be updated will still be useful. They can be broken down for exotic shards which you will need plenty of to infuse your new exotics. Make sure to max them first so you get 2 shards per dismantle.

You can also still use all y1 items in normalized pvp (but bear in mind some of the updated ones have had additional perks added or improvements made, so they won't be quite as good).

It's a bug. It has something to do with completing the year 1 Thorn bounty.

I have it too and it's triggering my OCD for completing all quests. :p

Actual ocd? If not then maybe don't call it that. ;)

Zoba's post touches on a few things I've been wanting to post about as well, so I'm going to use his post as a springboard.

Yes there are a few new spaces, gear and quests, but what has Bungie really done this time? Where is the innovation? As far as I can see, it's just more content on top of the new mechanics and QOL updates they did last year with TTK. Everything is an updated or remixed version of an existing location, mechanic or idea.

The lack of innovation is inevitable really. We're in Year 3 of Destiny and we're settling into what Destiny is. It's like phones. There have been a few big changes since smart phones came out, but year over year, it's evolution rather than revolution. And that's fine in my book! The drop rates are great in this game (I played Supremacy for 2 hours on launch day & got 3 crucible legendaries!). I have control over strike specific loot. The armor sets are fucking amazing. There is one area of serious innovation, artifacts, but it's too early to tell how those will shake out. They're really going to shake up the Crucible.

Now, all that said, I'm expecting Destiny 2 to really bring some innovation and some revolution.

Yes there are a few new spaces, gear and quests, but what has Bungie really done this time? Where is the innovation?

I wasn't really expecting much to change given the scope of the expansion and the timeframe it was made in, but I'm sitting here with virtually no interest in the new Raid....

This seems a contradiction. The raid seems like the thing that would be the most new, but you're not interested?

I'm a little shocked by just how thin this expansion is. I already knew it would be thinner than TTK, but I cleared out my quest log last night, and I haven't even been poopsocking the quests. The Taken War quests in Taken King kept the PvE content going for a long time, and I was hoping we'd have something like that, but no. The quests we have are just wrappers for activites we'd be doing anyway.

So where does that leave me (won't speak for you)?

It leaves me with some new gear to chase in a game I already like playing with some "mini-achievements" via the Record Book. I didn't get any drops in Year 2 that were good. Not a one. I used either Gunsmith weapons or Vendor weapons or Exotics. I feel like I may actually get some loot in this "loot" game in Year 3. And it'll look awesome. I hope the raid will be good, too. I'm looking forward to sweating in Trials.

In summary, this is enough for me for now.
  • New AMAZING armor sets
  • Better loot drops
  • New raid

Any ideas?

Known issue. From BWU:

Waypoint over Tower in the Director
Players who have unlocked the Thorn Exotic Hand Cannon from Year 1 will see a waypoint above the Tower when in Orbit. Upon landing in the Tower, this waypoint will disappea​

Top Bottom