• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Toddler

Looking for patient chill scrubby people to check out the raid blind tomorrow at 5:30PM Eastern. Min LL 355. No other requirements, just want to throw ourselves at it and see what sticks. Not under any pressure to finish the thing, so if you are looking for a way to check it out and can deal with many wipes, I will do my best to keep morale high ;)

Quote this post for a spot

1. Hawk
2. Androo
3. xTODDLERx

Did this fill up? I'll be on all day....

Eris mourne drops class item at high light level from her packages .so if u have top of wormspore and can do court of oryx ,do it asap.
I am at 365 ll and she gave me 369 ll artifact.

EL CUCO

I wanted to blind raid today but I'm only at 345 :(
I'll see you in the twitch chats
kOWFB5e.gif

Shiv47

I wanted to do a blind raid, but my heart isn't in the power grinding, and this weekend is just too busy to devote any real time to it. Hopefully some folks are left by next weekend to give it a shot. Kinda sucks to have to do it in walk through mode again if that's the case.

ocean

Banned
TTK was bigger.

But it fucked Hand Cannons up. It brought shit-design quests which encouraged people to act stupid in the Crucible (get sword kills! your teammates all use hilts and go 0.1. win x games! your teammates quit 10 seconds into a game if they don't get first blood).

They ruined matchmaking because of a dumb idea to push players even more aggressively to 50% wins. They took Trials from being the best connection-priority playlist in the game to being absolute connection hell towards the end of your passage card.

We went from HoW's "easily and automatically ascend anything to max level via Etheric Light" to 80% infusion rates on a limited number of Light upgrade paths. We went from super high legendary drop rates which let everybody who played the game to own a Matador/PC, a BTRD, an Ash Factory etc - and let them reroll it to competitive status - to a drop system that made everyone's loadouts mediocre unless you could grind for a living. They were actually petty enough to slow down and cap our glimmer earnings - cause that somehow broke something apparently.

As I said, TTK was bigger. But I don't think it was better, Unlike RoI, TTK was a massive, gross downgrade for the game in most areas that matter to me. Sure there were a few cool missions - but who the hell cares after 2 hours when you've done them and probably never will see them again. What matters, the long-term investment systems and economy and balance, were absolutely terrible and were gradually fixed over a span of nearly a year.

RoI builds on that year of improvements and remixes stuff up. Progression is slower than post-April TTK, but more reliable than pre-April TTK. Unlike ever before, Factions are generous as hell, and give you some degree of say on what you want your reward to be. Crucible drop rates are back to an acceptable level. Weapon balance is still not perfect but closer to balanced than it's ever been and closer to max fun than it's been since the HoW peak. There's fewer quests but I haven't had any I consider annoying or poorly designed (no incentives to quit or play like shit in Crucible, no hours-long collectathons). A year later, they figured out how to make artifacts somewhat useful.

It's a small incremental hop, but RoI is basically a content drop with tiny upgrades to the refined Y2 experience, instead of the "what the fuck is this" downgrade mess that TTK was. This, of course, is a very personal opinion and I will respect anyone else's even if we're in disagreement. I know some people don't like "how slow" they're leveling up but I feel a big part of that is not realizing how much of an outlier you are if you are or intend to be raid ready the minute it launches. I don't think that's a fair bar to evaluate the entire progression system against - but that'a a different discussion.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Anyone successfully fight off the wave of enemies during the Ghallihorn mission while playing solo?

Wondering if I'm wasting my time trying this alone

RetroMG

Anyone successfully fight off the wave of enemies during the Ghallihorn mission while playing solo?

On the final mission? It's a bit of a cheat, but you can hop up on the pipes in the room where the ghost is assembling the horn, and enemies completely ignore you.

Not that *I* did that. No. I took them all on single-handedly with a sidearm. Pfft. What are you implying?

TTK was bigger.

But it fucked Hand Cannons up. It brought shit-design quests which encouraged people to act stupid in the Crucible (get sword kills! your teammates all use hilts and go 0.1. win x games! your teammates quit 10 seconds into a game if they don't get first blood).

They ruined matchmaking because of a dumb idea to push players even more aggressively to 50% wins. They took Trials from being the best connection-priority playlist in the game to being absolute connection hell towards the end of your passage card.

We went from HoW's "easily and automatically ascend anything to max level via Etheric Light" to 80% infusion rates on a limited number of Light upgrade paths. We went from super high legendary drop rates which let everybody who played the game to own a Matador/PC, a BTRD, an Ash Factory etc - and let them reroll it to competitive status - to a drop system that made everyone's loadouts mediocre unless you could grind for a living. They were actually petty enough to slow down and cap our glimmer earnings - cause that somehow broke something apparently.

As I said, TTK was bigger. But I don't think it was better, Unlike RoI, TTK was a massive, gross downgrade for the game in most areas that matter to me. Sure there were a few cool missions - but who the hell cares after 2 hours when you've done them and probably never will see them again. What matters, the long-term investment systems and economy and balance, were absolutely terrible and were gradually fixed over a span of nearly a year.

RoI builds on that year of improvements and remixes stuff up. Progression is slower than post-April TTK, but more reliable than pre-April TTK. Unlike ever before, Factions are generous as hell, and give you some degree of say on what you want your reward to be. Crucible drop rates are back to an acceptable level. Weapon balance is still not perfect but closer to balanced than it's ever been and closer to max fun than it's been since the HoW peak. There's fewer quests but I haven't had any I consider annoying or poorly designed (no incentives to quit or play like shit in Crucible, no hours-long collectathons). A year later, they figured out how to make artifacts somewhat useful.

It's a small incremental hop, but RoI is basically a content drop with tiny upgrades to the refined Y2 experience, instead of the "what the fuck is this" downgrade mess that TTK was. This, of course, is a very personal opinion and I will respect anyone else's even if we're in disagreement. I know some people don't like "how slow" they're leveling up but I feel a big part of that is not realizing how much of an outlier you are if you are or intend to be raid ready the minute it launches. I don't think that's a fair bar to evaluate the entire progression system against - but that'a a different discussion.

This man gets it. TTK had some great story stuff but it really hurt the feeling of the game for me. I preferred year 1 tbh.

JJShadow

I did it solo yesterday on my first try, 345 LL. I used the Palindrome for non-stoping headshots as well as the Raze-Lighter to take down the yellow bar enemies. Add to that a Sunbreaker Titan with fully-charged super every one-two minutes and GG

Zakalwe

Banned

Yeh, pretty easily on my sunsinger. Super recharged super quick, had tones of hw ammo drop. Just spammed the hell out of both.

hitlerat

Hello...
I have 2 warlocks, finished the expansion with one and doing strike 320 getting 350+ blues.

Started the expansion with the other, get to the new social tower and did 3 320 strike... Blues only drops at 340... Why is that?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I used the exotic sword from the RoI questline and it worked like a charm

Yeah I switched to that right after posting and got braver with running around.
You are told to use your surroundings but I didn't realize how big the area was you could use.

Hello...
I have 2 warlocks, finished the expansion with one and doing strike 320 getting 350+ blues.

Started the expansion with the other, get to the new social tower and did 3 320 strike... Blues only drops at 340... Why is that?

Blues that need decrypting only go to 340.

Blues that drop in strikes can go higher.

Hello...

is their a reason as to have two same type characters. seen many people do it, just dont know why

Wallach

I did it on my Sunbreaker Titan the other day in one go. Run Immolation Fists for the free Explosive Pyre, use Thermite grenades, and make sure you have the regen on kills with burn skill equipped. That's generally how I roll anyway when soloing, but that mission in particular seemed incredibly favorable to Sunbreakers due to those skills. Explosive Pyre in particular is really stupid when enemies clump up in those numbers.

Ambitious

Anyone down for farming CoO? I need 250 more rep to rank up. I'm already at the court.

edit: It's going faster than expected. Almost done. But I'm gonna keep playing for a while.

blackflag

Are all the expansions on disk if you buy the collection? I kinda want to play again but I don't want to download like 80 gigs. Rather just purchase them on disk even though I have all but the new one.

Hzoltan69

Raid at 2pm EST (little more than 2 hours from now)
Two spots open

1. Hzoltan969
2. Bitofadrizzle
3. Drizzle's friend
4. Subtervotion?

EDIT: Looking for a fun raid, but to avoid unnecessary frustration, please be over 360.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TTK was bigger.

Great post. Almost completely agree.

There is absolutely no reason to change the light level progression after you hit 350. All of a sudden Faction, vanguard, exotic and legendary engrams have a 50% chance to drop below your light level. Ridiculous. It's the classic bullshit Bungie system of gating progress.

TTK also got you raid ready (290) relatively fast by just earning blues simply by playing the game. You didnt HAVE to run strikes or play grind bosses. The quests gave you 300 gear. You even got 310 exotics and artifacts. Now the raid drops were horrible and the grind to 310 was even worse, but at least you were raid ready without grinding and simply by playing the game. I have yet to grind but i played for five hours yesterday and only went up one level. thats not cool.

Lastly, so glad the crucible quests are gone. I nearly went crazy doing the weekly crucible quest last year when it had you win like a 100 games while getting kills with different weapons in different modes. the last word quest broke me.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I did it on my Sunbreaker Titan the other day in one go. Run Immolation Fists for the free Explosive Pyre, use Thermite grenades, and make sure you have the regen on kills with burn skill equipped. That's generally how I roll anyway when soloing, but that mission in particular seemed incredibly favorable to Sunbreakers due to those skills. Explosive Pyre in particular is really stupid when enemies clump up in those numbers.

Yeah that sounds like a good time. 👍
I was running Hunter Bladedancer and needed to take better advantage of being able to move quicker than everyone

I loved that final mission. The unlimited ammo at the end was an excellent reward.

Top Bottom