• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

This fucking silver dust....bought four treasure boxes...got the same ornament four times. Still don't have enough to buy the ornament I want from Xur. GG, bungie. >:|

That really sucks. The system is an absolute joke. Why should we have to succumb to RNG when we're using real money? It costs 25 silver dust for an ornament, but we can only get 1 treasure box per week without using real money? Makes no sense.

I'd let Bungie help with the lore. Because it's pretty damn good.

It's the delivery that needs work.

Even if it took place in only one world

I'd love an expanded playing field, with alot more quests defined into that playing field. When Vanilla came out, it was very theme parkish, with the speed you jump between each part of the 'park' and how shallow they were.

Arrrammis

So, I have not picked up Rise of Iron. I'm on the fence about it. My main hang-up is not the amount of content, but rather state of the PvE sandbox. The April update whacked shotguns and snipers in PvE pretty hard, IMO, and dinged my favorite scout (MIDA) along the way. That was a last straw for me, and I've only played twice since the April update.

How are things now? I felt like shotguns and sidearms were neutered in PvE, leaving snipers (which were nerfed in ways I hated) and fusion rifles (don't like using them). I couldn't get a sense from the patch notes how the new balance is.

Is the new loot a light remixing of the old, or is there some genuinely new gear that changes things up?

There are some new-ish things, like artifacts that add in new systems or enable different strats- everyone seems to go for the no sprint cooldown, but personally I chose the one that allows me to turn any red bar enemy to my side. Running around with 2-3 Ogres is pretty great! That said, there's not too much that is actually new. Some new weapons and rebalancing, changed end of strike loot, and updated general content (better public event rewards, a new book of achievements to get, etc.). The Archons forge, which a lot of people, myself included, see as the spiritual successor to Court of Oryx, is pretty disappointing. There's a lot wrong with it, but it can be fun if you get a ton of people in there.

For weapon balance, I think everything is pretty good right now. Shotguns are used almost all of the time in the new Supremacy mode, which is annoying, but whatevs. Sidearms are pretty strong, especially for the new exotic one, which seems to spawn you with a bunch of ammo every time you die in PvP. I can't speak for the top 1% of the 1% of PvP players' experience, but I run into a lot of people using a variety of weapons very effectively in PvP.

FinKL

Thanks for the LL on raid guys, didn't think it would be a big deal. With that said, I say you should be going into the raid @ 365 even though recommended is 370. 365 is the cutoff for legendaries and most of us won't be able exotic/faction grind with surplus materials.

NeOak

Thanks for the LL on raid guys, didn't think it would be a big deal. With that said, I say you should be going into the raid @ 365 even though recommended is 370. 365 is the cutoff for legendaries and most of us won't be able exotic/faction grind with surplus materials.
Most people expected the director to state 365, So 370 in the director was a surprise.

Where is Xur at?
I read reef earlier

Even if it took place in only one world

I'd love an expanded playing field, with alot more quests defined into that playing field. When Vanilla came out, it was very theme parkish, with the speed you jump between each part of the 'park' and how shallow they were.

To refine this, in Legion, I spent 8 levels in one area, Stormheim. And I didn't get bored of it through those 6-10 hours of playing in that area. The quests were plentiful, they weren't boring, and they kept sending you to different areas within that section.

I'd love Destiny to do that. Expand on Earth. Maybe have it take place in Europe, and you spend time going to different areas, doing quests in each area, maybe even going to different places of destroyed earth.

Different worlds is fine, but if they're each shallow, then that hurts more than it helps.

So I bought the expansion yesterday...and I haven't played since the original. I'm a little confused how the story, and progression works now.

I level boosted my character to 40...so is it pointless doing the other story lines (House of Wolves, Below, Taken King) other than seeing the actual story? I'm not getting any exp...and I don't know if the gear is worth it since it's older content.

Also, are all the stories self contained? I won't to try and make the most out of this, without missing much and gimping myself. But I also don't want to waste my time.

Thanks!

NeOak

I'm 340's with the bow... No Idea on what to do but can help! Lol will be on in two minutes.

PSN: TheCanisDirus
In the room before the boss room, tether Omnigul. Use the longer lasting tether. Aim at the floor with the tether.

If you got some heavy ammo, maybe do damage. Use a Bad Juju if you have it to charge super faster killing adds.

Rinse and repeat.

So I bought the expansion yesterday...and I haven't played since the original. I'm a little confused how the story, and progression works now.

I level boosted my character to 40...so is it pointless doing the other story lines (House of Wolves, Below, Taken King) other than seeing the actual story? I'm not getting any exp...and I don't know if the gear is worth it since it's older content.

Also, are all the stories self contained? I won't to try and make the most out of this, without missing much and gimping myself. But I also don't want to waste my time.

Thanks!
You still need to level your subclasses, So the EXP helps with that and unlocking the perks in your gear. And you can do them, the engrams and drops will be based on your light level.

Quests also give rewards, So they are useful.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Took me 25 minutes to buy that amount of heavies.

KgIKhFf.png

No love from Bungie.

Deku Tree

^ and how long is it gonna take you to do the 17 faction rank ups?

Not seeing much LL progression from raid drops on the stream I'm watching. Guy was wearing a 377 chest piece and got a 377 chest piece.

The new loot system in the game gives you a 50% chance that your drop improves your LL. I don't know how raid loot works.

Reven

Hey everyone, haven't stopped by since like early May and just have a few questions before I hop back in.

Is there a big download if I buy ROI or does it basically just 'unlock' access to the new content? I currently have Destiny fully updated.

Does it include a level increase you can use for another toon and whats the best way to upgrade a new character? I've only ever had a warlock.

pantsmith

Looking for three more for a blind run of the raid (PS4). Either reply here or (better) send me a message on psn @ pantsmith.

360+ LL would be great, but I can be convinced to take you along otherwise :)

edit: filled up, thanks :D

Arrrammis

Hey everyone, haven't stopped by since like early May and just have a few questions before I hop back in.

Is their a big download if I buy ROI or does it basically just 'unlock' access to the new content? I currently have Destiny fully updated.

Does it include a level increase you can use for another toon and whats the best way to upgrade a new character? I've only ever had a warlock.

The last major update (1-2 weeks ago I think) downloaded RoI, you just need to unlock it.

RoI includes one level boost to level 40, so you can use that. Otherwise, the best way to level fast (IMO) is to play crucible, because you get more exp per game than you do for the normal story missions.

Oh, what could have been.

Terrible take. What leads you to believe that CD Project Red could make a competently fun first person shooter considering the Witcher 3, from a strictly gameplay-based standpoint, is considered at best to be a mediocre-controlling third person rpg?

I mean I guess if your only metric for a games quality is "muh contents" then, yes, all hail the mythical Witcher-Destiny.

Bold One

Destiny has been trending upwards, and last gen consoles will be ditched for Destiny 2; hopefully they get better at designing PvE content and balancing though (separate balancing for PvE and PvP... not that hard); Archon's Forge and PoE when it came out... awful. It's bad I'm already getting hyped for Destiny 2, and I haven't been enjoying ROI as much as I'd hope.

Put CD Project Red in charge of the writing, take Activision out of the equation, and leave Bungie in charge of the gameplay. Even the small world that we have in current Destiny could be more epic with CDPR writing the script.

I was talking purely from a content point of view, but I hear you guys, what the guys and gals at CDPR have been able to pour into their games makes me feel bad for giving Bungie money for the anemic content they pump out at the asking price they demand.

^ and how long is it gonna take you to do the 17 faction rank ups?

The new loot system in the game gives you a 50% chance that your drop improves your LL. I don't know how raid loot works.

Yeah, had hoped that since they were straight drops, and not engrams they would use a different system. I'm getting post TTK vibes where I'm going to get frustrated with the slow progression and bounce. They should have kept the "April" update progress rate. It was much more satisfying then creeping up one LL at a time. At least they didn't fall back to the 80% infusion thing.

Reven

The last major update (1-2 weeks ago I think) downloaded RoI, you just need to unlock it.

RoI includes one level boost to level 40, so you can use that. Otherwise, the best way to level fast (IMO) is to play crucible, because you get more exp per game than you do for the normal story missions.

Awesome, thank you.

Deku Tree

lol

I was told that
The last boss encounter is 380, so 370 in the director makes sense

That's true but previously the only information we had from Bungie as far as I know was that the recommended LL for the raid would be 360. Then today it said 370 in the director.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blind raid team for later on, please respond if you see yourself on this list and cannot make it!
1. Hawkian
2. Androo
3. Azolith
4. Zocano
5. Not Mindlog?
6. Jayforone
Please post here ASAP if you cannot make it!

Feel free to join my fireteam in orbit if we're friends already.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Imagine if Destiny was developed by CD PROJECT RED,

Think of the amount of content, just all over your face. They released one of the largest scale RPGs ever, replete with an epic campaign, too many side quests, massively long cutscenes, dozens upon dozens of characters a year after OG Destiny and still managed to release 2 full expansions each equalling the entire Destiny catalog in size.

No offense but the gameplay in Witcher 3 is mediocre at best. Absolutely mind numbingly boring at its worst. the side quests are repetitive and the massively long cutscenes have you watching the game instead of playing it for 10-15 minutes at a time.

Keep that shit out of Destiny.

I agree that Bungie takes forever to make content, but maybe this is how long it takes to make fun gameplay encounters. 30 seconds of fun is not an easy thing to recreate.

GhaleonEB

There are some new-ish things, like artifacts that add in new systems or enable different strats- everyone seems to go for the no sprint cooldown, but personally I chose the one that allows me to turn any red bar enemy to my side. Running around with 2-3 Ogres is pretty great! That said, there's not too much that is actually new. Some new weapons and rebalancing, changed end of strike loot, and updated general content (better public event rewards, a new book of achievements to get, etc.). The Archons forge, which a lot of people, myself included, see as the spiritual successor to Court of Oryx, is pretty disappointing. There's a lot wrong with it, but it can be fun if you get a ton of people in there.

For weapon balance, I think everything is pretty good right now. Shotguns are used almost all of the time in the new Supremacy mode, which is annoying, but whatevs. Sidearms are pretty strong, especially for the new exotic one, which seems to spawn you with a bunch of ammo every time you die in PvP. I can't speak for the top 1% of the 1% of PvP players' experience, but I run into a lot of people using a variety of weapons very effectively in PvP.
Thanks, appreciated.

Chitown B

I'm at 343 right now and started at like 321. Haven't ton a ton but I have three 350 items and I'm getting 347 drops now. Is 360 max light right now?

Imagine if Destiny was developed by CD PROJECT RED,

Think of the amount of content, just all over your face. They released one of the largest scale RPGs ever, replete with an epic campaign, too many side quests, massively long cutscenes, dozens upon dozens of characters a year after OG Destiny and still managed to release 2 full expansions each equalling the entire Destiny catalog in size.

Ugh Pass. the gameplay in The Witcher is boring.

Bungies main problem is the dev tools for Destiny are a complete disaster, like it takes 24 hours+ to load a level into the editor. Losing last gen and Destiny 2 should fix a ton of those problems.

Top Bottom