• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Bold One

I've played quite a few MMOs in the past, and I've been at the head of that wave a few times.

It's a different kind of game when you play it that way, the contest of finding the most efficient tactics and groups and pushing yourself to be focused can be really fun. The obvious and pretty huge downside being you'll outgrow the content incredibly quickly.

As I mentioned, the contradictory aspects of games like these is what I find most frustrating. For every MMO I've played, the devs have always shown a distinct interest in the niche hardcore player bases. They often blog about the achievements of hardcore players, patch notes frequently reflect the preceding opinions of those with in depth knowledge of the gaming systems so there's good evidence they pay attention to their feedback (honestly, the backlash you read for the majority of patch notes are little more than violent knee jerks), and they understand these groups are incredibly important to MMO style games as their dedication, innovations, and skills contribute a lot to the build up of grassroots interest at the casual player level.

Yet they almost never design their games to actually cater for these groups.

Some games such as the original GWs (I know it's an old example, but its systems remain a great example of innovation within the MMO genre) have systems in place that allow the player base to really dig into the end game content in innovative ways (anyone remember the 55HP monk? Assassin Raptor Farming? M/Wo FoW spider beach?), but these things were inherent to a system that was designed with innovation in mind.

When it comes to a game like Destiny which - while allowing for some innovation in terms of group structure and individual set-ups), the depth isn't enough to allow a wide enough set of innovative builds to keep an extremely limited amount of gameplay instances interesting for too long.

Destiny's absolute main draw is the gunplay. It's easily amongst the best in the genre and possibly the best (on console at least) current example of FPS gameplay. Yet even the most playable game in the world will get old if you're forced to repeat the same few levels over and over.

All they need to do is spread out progression across the main game. Re-purpose all the old content: raids, strikes, missions, patrols. Add harder game modes relevant to end game LL. Add new loot tables for higher chunks of rep, marks, engram and end game loot rolls).

Doing this things like weekly lockouts would sting a lot less. There'd be a huge variety of content to play through, and "grind" would be called "playing" a lot more often.

The content already exists. I know dev time isn't infinite, but the additions to make old content relevant again are extremely minimal in comparison to the development of new content. I almost wish this had been the last major update instead of what we got with RoI (Raid aside, we always needed a new raid!).

I'm aware I'm goingon a bit now, so I'll stop, but tl;dr the contradictory nature of the way Bungie caters to its hardcore fanbase is baffling, especially when the solutions are so obvious.
I agree, although, I must admit, Destiny is a strange beast, its an FPS first, RPG second, not sure it counts as an MMO despite having a raid. Its why I dont draw parralel to other MMOs like WOW, that and the fact that there isnt a monthly sub.

But I agree completely about repurposing old content, it shouldn't take dev time, I mean you're just raising the numbers to match current LL. Its pretty crazy how much rope we've given this dev and they are still unable to reconcile the simplest of flaws.

thabiz

So for (semi?) blind WotM Final Boss we have:

Blunoise - ready @ 7pm EDT
Slender - ready @ "later"
Xeno ready @ 30 min from now
Pilgor - ready @ now
thabiz -ready @ now
Zocano -ready @ now

Blu can't go until 7pm EDT, Slender can't go until "later", but we don't know when. Zocano would like to go ASAP. I would like to eat beforehand. Probably about 30 min for me.

Is this all correct?

So 7?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Any raids starting soon on PS4? I'm 369 and have never done it nor know a thing about it.
I also don't care about going in blind or whatever. I just want to do it.

We have one more spot open, will start sometime after 5pm. That sound good? 3 of us have done the raid. The other 2 I'm guessing we are sherping.

Gragen

Sorry for what is most likely a stupid question. I am on the hunt for a good pve shotgun, similar to invective. Is there such a shotgun in the game? I need my exotic slot to be heavy is the reason for this question and I am not a sniper guy.

UMGAWA

Is there any idea/theory as to what (raid spoiler)
the large black diamond, no man sky looking thing is after the server maze? Is it a warmind?

Deku Tree

wicked awesome week.

Team played really well, finished raid 18th (technically) we killed the boss and he died then the game wiped us, we got loot and the new card, but didn't complete us on B.net bit bummed out about that, but we know we're in a good position for hard mode.

light level is 380 and still growing should be 385-390 by next week.
Having only slept around 14 hours this week can honestly say this weekend has been a lot of sleeping and chilling out.

I was given an xbox today and have destiny so going to start levelling that on the side.

Congrats! I thought the max LL was 385 until HM comes out. But some people can get to 386 because of an inffusion glitch. How you gonna get to 390?

Congrats! I thought the max LL was 385 until HM comes out. But some people can get to 386 because of an inffusion glitch. How you gonna get to 390?

I can be 390 if I want deku. But I don't want to spend hours donating mats to faction.

Also, the RoI OST not having the raid music is huge bummer. That Zamboni music is epic.

KingV

Is the 4 archon forge wins bounty bugged? I did like ten archon forges last night, all 3* and still sitting at 0/4.

Maybe archon forge victories means something different than I thought it did?

Pushing my Titan through the story mode now, how long will it take if I just rush it? I need to do my Warlock next. I'm hoping to get the other two artifact this week before they switch out

Top Bottom