• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

99% sure all gear will be wiped.

It´s gonna be a sequel, not an expansion.

Destiny is must already be soooo restricting for designers right now - bet they cant wait to start over without all the baggage.
And you're willing to pay $60 for the privilege of starting all over again?

If that happens, I'm out. Simple as that.
yup i'm pretty sure it will be a wipe for stuff but carrying over the same character, much like some Y1 stuff can't really be used for Y3 anymore

Yeah, I can totally see them doing a Y1->Y2 thing where OP weapons are retired once again, but I just don't see them wiping ALL gear to start anew. That just sounds ludicrous to me.

platocplx

Awwwww the Top Score bounty doesn't work with supremacy. Carried that team for nothing.

drives me nuts, had top score a few times and it doesnt work.

Supremacy is by far my favorite game mode right now. The craziest thing about it you team gets on a crazy streak with supers etc it could totally turn a game around done right.

They also need to fix your characters having different grimoire scores. No idea why they changed that.

Is that caused by anything besides the cluster right now?

Hopefully a quick fix will be out soon. Weird this didn't get caught.

99% sure all gear will be wiped.

It´s gonna be a sequel, not an expansion.

Destiny is must already be soooo restricting for designers right now - bet they cant wait to start over without all the baggage.

We are keeping grimoire at least. . right??? :[

GlamFM

Banned
How is it restrictive exactly?
It can be a sequel and expansion at the same time...call it a game sized expansion like how some MMOs do it.

Because of everything.

Because they have to design around abilities, perks and whatnot they gave us over the years not thinking about the consequences.

It must be so hard to design a raid encounter that you can´t cheese or break with all the stuff we have now.

Destiny 2 - clean slate - awesome.

It is known NOT to be an expansion, but a proper sequel.

there is a reason for that.

So you never buy sequels?

Supremacy is the best thing to happen to PvP outside of private matches.

Agreed. It's a great mode.

tumblr_nbkk8avXRR1t1y73zo4_500.gif

I'M SORRY

There's another Thorn quest? Please tell me it isn't as insufferable as Year 1.

Similar but more PvE parts I think (500 kills in plaguelands) and the crucible kills don't go down on deaths.

Yeah it's very doable. I'll spoiler tag the stages for the Thorn quest:
1. Run the Wretched Eye strike.
2. Kill enemies in the Plaguelands.
3. Kill Guardians with void damage in the Crucible.
4. Consume 5 motes of light.
5. Run the Abomination Heist strike and open the strike chest with a skeleton key.

Much, much easier than year 1. Didn't take too long to complete.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
This thread can be really discouraging sometimes. Everybody else has finished the raid 3x and my hunter is only a 351. I wish Bungie would have held back the raid a week.

darkwing

This thread can be really discouraging sometimes. Everybody else has finished the raid 3x and my hunter is only a 351. I wish Bungie would have held back the raid a week.

i don't think you have to worry, this is the last major expansion for D1, many people will still play it until D2 rolls out and by then, the raid will be streamlined by players

Hey all!

On X1 here, at 368 right now and once I hit 370 was going to see if anyone is gathering up a squad for a full WotM run before reset tomorrow.

Would be on a Titan, know the general mechanics but haven't ran it yet. Let me know, my GT is same as here.

it would actually be super refreshing to start all new.

I will miss my shaders though... :

I'd start from scratch but I'll be damned if Bungie doesnt bring over these things:

ships
sparrows and horns
Emblems
Shaders
Dances
Halloween masks

Those things are a must. No reason at all why they couldn't/shouldn't bring those things to D2.

GlamFM

Banned

Don´t worry. This raid is gonna have to last for a while.

I´m 350 AND I LIKE IT.

So I'm 364, want to do the raid but gathering 5 more players is hard. On ps4, for now I'll do CoO or Forge. Anyone want to join? I have a perfected offering.

LiK

Yeah it's very doable. I'll spoiler tag the stages for the Thorn quest:
1. Run the Wretched Eye strike.
2. Kill enemies in the Plaguelands.
3. Kill Guardians with void damage in the Crucible.
4. Consume 5 motes of light.
5. Run the Abomination Heist strike and open the strike chest with a skeleton key.

Much, much easier than year 1. Didn't take too long to complete.

thanks, that's much easier. i guess i'll need to hold onto a Skeleton key just for this quest.

Zakalwe

Banned

Games don't last forever, especially games that started their life with one foot in the previous gen.

If you thought Destiny 1 was going to last longer than this you were pretty delluded.

GlamFM

Banned
I'd start from scratch but I'll be damned if Bungie doesnt bring over these things:

ships
sparrows and horns
Emblems
Shaders
Dances
Halloween masks

Those things are a must. No reason at all why they couldn't/shouldn't bring those things to D2.

Stuff that we payed for - maybe.

Not even sure about shaders.

We have so many now that the new ones are more or less slight variations from what we already have.

How do you want to make enough "new" shaders that last for a new game?

Shiv47

Did a couple Archons Forge things with randoms last night, and used the Fused offering I had. I received no reward, unless a blue engram was the reward. Is that normal?

LiK

i assume the Eververse stuff will carry over. Also, they'll def reuse shaders/emblems cuz why not? They just have a bigger pool for them. Unless they decide to change the look of emblems in D2.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm almost certain equipment won't be carried.

What's more likely is reward packages with new unique gear tide to certain in game achievements from D1. Ways for guardians to show off what they accomplished in the first game without restricting what the new game can do.

Think Hall if Heroes in GW1 unlocking gear in GW2.

So you're unfamiliar with how MMOs grow and expand, got it. And yes, I know Destiny is not an MMO per se.

Destiny isn't an MMO. It's an multiplayer online FPS with shared instaced areas and some MMO style systems. It is MMO style, but it's too restrictive to be a true MMO.

It was never ever built to be the foundation for an infinitely expanding game like WoW. It's much more in the vein of something like Guild Wars 1.

The way proper MMOs grow and expand has very little to do with Destiny's current form.

Perhaps Desiny 2 will be more like this. Without the restrictions of last gen, with everything Bungie have learnt from their first foray into MMO style design, they could potentially build a foundation that allows for much longer sustainability.

D1 was never ever that though. It was a test, an experiment, a toe dipped in the MMO pond.

How do you want to make enough "new" shaders that last for a new game?

There's a ton of color schemes they haven't touched. the question is how do you get glowhoo and chatterwhite into D2 if not through carryover? These shaders mean something to me. I can understand if they don't bring them, but only if it's to fill the pool in D2. Shaders dropping in crucible, patrol, all over the place. We like earning stuff. Flood the market.

SpecX

Both excited and disappointed with this D2 news. Going to suck big time if we ha e to wait till fall next year when we were going to have it at this time. I'll be more ok with a spring or early summer release, but fall is too far off. Characters have to move forward as well unless they kill them off with no resurrection in the next content release.

Looking forward to what will come.

Nicodemic

High five brother! I'm 353 and having a blast doing all the quests and bounties. The raiding will come in time.

Hey all!

On X1 here, at 368 right now and once I hit 370 was going to see if anyone is gathering up a squad for a full WotM run before reset tomorrow.

Would be on a Titan, know the general mechanics but haven't ran it yet. Let me know, my GT is same as here.

I’m looking for a team myself; I hit 377 last night but haven’t touched the raid and am itching to get in there before reset for any loot chances and just to check it out. I will be on tonight starting at around 6PM EST unless you were looking to run earlier, I will add you in the meantime. GT: ThingontheFloor

Any other interest out there on Xbox? One or 2 more and we should set up a list and time.

Games don't last forever, especially games that started their life with one foot in the previous gen.

If you thought Destiny 1 was going to last longer than this you were pretty delluded.

Why? Starting from zero is kind of insane, you've got this captive base of millions of players. Why toss them out the window?

Owensboro

Anyone interested in doing the Raid blind.....around the second weekend in November? Yeah, I know that's really far away, but I've got this professional test I'm forcing myself to study for in October and that requires totally abandoning Destiny in order to focus. I'm on total blackout and haven't read a thing about it yet (and am terrified of this thread, but keep coming back).

I'm totally not going to find anyone who hasn't done by then, am I?

Zakalwe

Banned
Why? Starting from zero is kind of insane, you've got this captive base of millions of players. Why toss them out the window?

Nothing lasts forever. There are other ways to celebrate previous accomplishments. There is no need to carry everything over, and as mentioned before it could be very restrictive in terms of the new game systems.

It's a sequel, not an expansion.

GlamFM

Banned
People got weird expectations when this 10 year plan doc leaked.

Although they never meant a 10 year game, but a 10 year franchise.

Anyone interested in doing the Raid blind.....around the second weekend in November? Yeah, I know that's really far away, but I've got this professional test I'm forcing myself to study for in October and that requires totally abandoning Destiny in order to focus. I'm on total blackout and haven't read a thing about it yet (and am terrified of this thread, but keep coming back).

I'm totally not going to find anyone who hasn't done by then, am I?

Heck, i thought trying to find a blind raid group for this upcoming Saturday was going to be impossible! lol

But seriously... will be looking if anyone's interested in doing a full blind raid on October 1st lol.

I’m looking for a team myself; I hit 377 last night but haven’t touched the raid and am itching to get in there before reset for any loot chances and just to check it out. I will be on tonight starting at around 6PM EST unless you were looking to run earlier, I will add you in the meantime. GT: ThingontheFloor

Any other interest out there on Xbox? One or 2 more and we should set up a list and time.

Whoa 377 without even the raid. Solid dedication! I'm available anytime today, not feeling great so home from work and therefore grinding some Destiny of course ha.

I think we've actually ran some raids or other activities in the past, changed my name on X1 in the past year but we have some mutual buds like Axo, Wiped, Evolved those dudes.

Got to the pre-final-boss encounter as a warlock @ 364-ish on Saturday night (now at 366), now have a titan @ 365. Happy to bring either tonight. I'm on the east coast and my late night poop-socking it has me down on sleep so not looking at a late night of it tonight.

Hmm. I'd say you're deluded for thinking that Destiny 2 is going to be an entirely new game (brand new engine, etc.), but maybe I'm selling Bungie short in that regard.
Destiny was originally a 10 year plan - I think of the paid DLCs (HoW, RoI, etc) as the smaller updates that MMOs receive between major expansions. Except since we don't pay a monthly fee, we pay for said updates.

The fabled Destiny 2, to me, is akin to Heavensward FFXIV or Legion for WoW - both a massive content update and a decent visual upgrade. Again, I can see a Y1->Y2 retirement situation going on again, but a flat-out wipe of characters & gear just sounds ludicrous to me. Even more ludicrous is that apparently some people are actually willing to pay $60 for the 'privilege' to start all over again.
This is not the same as a yearly CoD where I have no connection to the weapons or gear I'm using - I earned these weapons, I upgraded this armor, etc. Taking them away simply because they added a 2 to the name is an instant nope for me and many others, I'm sure.
Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle it, that's for sure!

nOoblet16

*Looks at FFXIV*
Yea that game's going to last a while.

Then ofc there is WoW built on 2002 technology.

GlamFM

Banned
Hmm. I'd say you're deluded for thinking that Destiny 2 is going to be an entirely new game (brand new engine, etc.), but maybe I'm selling Bungie short in that regard.
Destiny was originally a 10 year plan - I think of the paid DLCs (HoW, RoI, etc) as the smaller updates that MMOs receive between major expansions. Except since we don't pay a monthly fee, we pay for said updates.

The fabled Destiny 2, to me, is akin to Heavensward FFXIV or Legion for WoW - both a massive content update and a decent visual upgrade. Again, I can see a Y1->Y2 retirement situation going on again, but a flat-out wipe of characters & gear just sounds ludicrous to me. Even more ludicrous is that apparently some people are actually willing to pay $60 for the 'privilege' to start all over again.
This is not the same as a yearly CoD where I have no connection to the weapons or gear I'm using - I earned these weapons, I upgraded this armor, etc. Taking them away simply because they added a 2 to the name is an instant nope for me and many others, I'm sure.
Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle it, that's for sure!

There it is again. It was not and never a 10 year game. It is a 10 year franchise with sequels and everything.

Always was.

Top Bottom