• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean by "a game like Destiny" (Halo?) but everything absolutely does carry over through major expansions in World of Warcraft.

I'm expecting us to be able to keep our emotes, emblems and shaders. Anything less is a punch in the gut (and inexcusable, really).

Again, Destiny is nothing like WoW.

It's compatible to games like Guild Wars 1, Phantasy Star online, even the Battlefield franchise.

It's not an MMO even if it shares MMO style systems.

As for shaders and emblems, they may offer much deeper colour schemes (not possible with last gen constraints) which will render shaders obsolete, emblems sure that would be easy.

sajj316

I seem to hv hit a brick wall at 351...

Do I really need to farm omnigul if I want to improve? Wtf bungie...

Just do the Sepiks strike on repeat .. get to 365 that way. I'm at 358 now but ranked up 4 levels last night doing it this way.

I'm in no rush for the raid as once I complete it, I will want more.

I imagine Destiy 2 will be a fresh start, but with as many recycled assets as possible. It will be a tough transition for lots of fans who want to keep the gear they earned.

There will be riots. The question is what happens to the original destiny. Will you still be able to play it or will the servers be down.

If Destiny 2 is going to wipe everything, that would be a kick in the teeth for those who've poured hundreds of hours into their gear and weapons.

Talk about flushing your time down the toilet, it would cement into fact what one of my mates always said about the game upon release 2 years ago, this is a game that has no respect for your time.

Here's the thing.

Destiny 2 would have to have such a crazy amount of content to even get players to consider switching.

Destiny 2 has to be a continuation in the sense that we can still access older content.

Otherwise, you're never going to convince people to buy a $60 game for 1/5th of the content you already have access to.

I mean, even if they overhaul several game systems like character progression, open world environments, and the entire competitive PvP system. There is no way you're going to convince customers that they should pay $60 for the "removal' of 4 raids, 20+ PvP maps, 16 strikes, and 6 destinations.

Destiny 2 has to be an "expansion". From a business standpoint it doesn't work any other way.

McArkus

My hope for Destiny 2 is that if it really starts in a clean state, is a shift in the rarity of items level, make the exotic stuff legendary, legendary stuff rare and rare stuff common and create new exotics with new perks that adapt to the new abilities. Something like the exclusive legendary weapons for each class but with the old exotics. What a mean is.... Bungie, don't take from me my Saint-14 helmet and Vex Mythoclast, at least return them as legendary please.

I hope SRL is training for an eventual chase scene on pikes in D2. Or a "get out of there" moment.

Bungie sure does make beautiful explosions. I go back to
The Iron Tomb
mission just to watch.....and
farm exotics.
;)

I hope SRL is training for an eventual chase scene on pikes in D2. Or a "get out of there" moment.

The Iron Tomb
mission just to watch.....and farm exotics.

Three of Coins works on that mission? Nice.

I wanted to do the Daily Heroic, but the screen doesn't say it's giving out Legendary Marks for some reason.

The Iron Tomb
mission just to watch.....and farm exotics.

Really? I thought it was disspointing.

The actual escape was fun, but the moment you get past the doors, that giant explosion turns into a muffled boom that could compete with my ice maker for volume levels.

But since the actual escape can be done in like 20 seconds, it felt pretty mediocre.

Really? I thought it was disspointing.

The actual escape was fun, but the moment you get past the doors, that giant explosion turns into a muffled boom that could compete with my ice maker for volume levels.

But since the actual escape can be done in like 20 seconds, it felt pretty mediocre.

I liked the light effects and environmental movement. Felt like everything was going haywire. I also was disappointed by the explosion. I expected us to have to make that leap of faith off the ledge and keep running into the halls we came from until we hit Archons Forge.

Wallach

Destiny 2 has to be an "expansion". From a business standpoint it doesn't work any other way.

I'd wager that it won't be an extension of the base game. It will be a completely separate title. They'll probably do some kind of marketing bridge (someone mentioned the Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2; something that grants you rewards based on what you've earned in Destiny) but they'll be making a clean break with Destiny 2.

GlamFM

Banned
Here's the thing.

Destiny 2 would have to have such a crazy amount of content to even get players to consider switching.

Destiny 2 has to be a continuation in the sense that we can still access older content.

Otherwise, you're never going to convince people to buy a $60 game for 1/5th of the content you already have access to.

I mean, even if they overhaul several game systems like character progression, open world environments, and the entire competitive PvP system. There is no way you're going to convince customers that they should pay $60 for the "removal' of 4 raids, 20+ PvP maps, 16 strikes, and 6 destinations.

Disagree with everything you say here.

Also don't understand why different rules should apply to Destiny in that regard.

Never heard anyone say he's not buying the new Cod because they are taking his maps away.

Every game ends eventually.

Daft_Cat

Here's the thing.

Well, they can always play Destiny 1, no? The bolded is a fair point, but then again, consumers do it all the time. Off the top of my head, the Sims comes to mind - as do other grindish loot-based games (like Diablo). Plus, accessibility for newcomers has got to be paramount for Bungie, and a fresh, standalone sequel casts a wider net.

I expect certain high profile events (like Raids) may reappear as legacy type missions (along with some form of character/item transferability for long time players), but I'd be surprised if Destiny 2 went the glorified expansion route.

Are you guys expecting some hotfixes tomorrow?

There are still several known issues with this build. Also Archon's Forge could use some tweaks.

Are you guys expecting some hotfixes tomorrow?

There are still several known issues with this build. Also Archon's Forge could use some tweaks.

Hope so. My main tweak is: STOP SENDING GREEN MARKS/BONDS/CLOAKS TO MY POSTMAN!!

I hope they change the ability to carry SIVA drops. Maybe one of each type or something, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'd wager that it won't be an extension of the base game. It will be a completely separate title. They'll probably do some kind of marketing bridge (someone mentioned the Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars 2; something that grants you rewards based on what you've earned in Destiny) but they'll be making a clean break with Destiny 2.

Everything points to this.

I've got several qualms with this story to be honest:

To start with, Saladin seems to be more of an asshole now. It's weird, I used to like him over Shaxx before, but the situation has almost reversed. Every time Ghost or Shiro asks him a question, he gives a non-answer. Telling you that your idea is irrelevant, or there are more important things to worry about.

He flips out over the idea of people attacking the Temple on Felwinter peak, but why? What's actually up there? The Fallen already have SIVA, so I doubt there would be any new information for them there. Or was he just worried about the Fallen scraping the statues?

The mission with the Cannon's was super disappointing. Shiro said something about Hawks for reinforcements. But they never showed. That would have been such a great world building moment.

That whole speech Shiro gives just before fighting Sepiks makes no sense. Ghost asks a question and Shiro says, "I can take a guess." But his guess sounds dumb. He tried driving how that whole God comparison, and it just came off really odd.

The intro cinematic shows Saladin fighting off those nanomachine things with his Axe, but the few places those things show up in game don't actually do anything. The game needs to learn to not have big bads with a story of "And these big bads know how to actually kill guardians." Because we know from a gameplay standpoint that we can't die, so it 100% takes the wind out of the sails.

This makes the final chamber area really confusing. Fighting these fallen iron lords, but why am I not worried about what converted them in the first place?

Finally, what the fuck is SIVA? does it have a mind of it's own? It seems like they were hinting that SIVA has an influence over the Fallen, more than the Fallen have an influence over it. What the hell was actually going on there? Since nothing was explained, it seems like the Fallen just found a new stylist for their armor and vehicles. Like, "He you guys like these Triangles? There is just something really aesthetically pleasing about these triangles... I think I'm going to put some triangles on my face, maybe that Walker over there, too."

Sorry for the negativity. Just some issues I have.

Pejo

Man, the mid 350's gear grind is super, super slow. I've been sitting at 353 for 2 days now, getting misc 353 and 354 pieces from legendary engrams but it's painful watching the slow rise.

I don't really want to do the omnighoul farm, but damn, I don't want to be 353 for 2 more weeks either.

Sh0k

Where can I read up on this? Haven't found any super helpful resources for it yet.

You need a full fireteam to do the Omnigul farming, if you don't have a full team, you can pick any strike from the director and change the difficulty to 320, at the end of the strike the boss will drop blue items higher than your current level, infuse or save the drops and repeat. I found that the fastest strike to do is the new Sepiks, it takes around 12-15 mins.

Forgot to add that the drops have a cap level of 365.

Disagree with everything you say here.

Also don't understand why different rules should apply to Destiny in that regard.

Never heard anyone say he's not buying the new Cod because they are taking his maps away.

Every game ends eventually.

Different Scenarios. If you were talking about Destiny Vanilla, to Destiny 2, you'd be fine.

Hell, you could probably even get people to buy into Destiny 2 if you add in Destiny Vanilla with Dark Below and House of Wolves.

But once you throw Taken King into the Mix, and now Rise of Iron, people are likely $180+ invested into this game.

Now, on top of that, imagine trying to sell people a new Destiny campaign, that has 4 destination, 8 PvP maps, 5 strikes, and a raid.

How do you think a consumer base would take that?

I've got several qualms with this story to be honest:

He flips out over the idea of people attacking the Temple on Felwinter peak, but why? What's actually up there? The Fallen already have SIVA, so I doubt there would be any new information for them there. Or was he just worried about the Fallen scraping the statues?

Sorry for the negativity. Just some issues I have.

Ummmm...
At the time they were attacking the peak, he didn't know what they had and was worried that they were going after the information he had hidden there. Also, isn't what they initially have only the experimental stuff found at Clovis Bray and the Fallen are searching for more information to help expand their research? So he could have potentially useful information to their experiments as well.

For anyone that fought Aksis
(phase 2):

When teleporting, will he ever go back to a places he's teleported to before?

Ex: left, bottom middle, left again

Side note for book completionists: you can run nightfall multiple times in the same character for the 5 needed. Was helping the clan and friends and got all 5 done.

nOoblet16

Here's the thing.

This is what I think as well.
If Destiny 2 resets everything then there is no way Destiny 2 will have as much content as Destiny has right now, we will essentially be playing a lesser game.

Now you can say that those who think this way can keep playing Destiny 1 but in all honesty why? We would like to play the new content as well while having the old stuff accessible ingame. But I am 100% sure that the stuff we have right now is not going to return.

If Destiny 2 is a Destiny 1 (with TDB+HoW) length expansion + making some old stuff like raids relevant again with changes then that is a 200% more appealing idea to me than a fresh reset.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GAF, Help!

Is 360 too low for the first few sections of the raid? I am 368 with a friend who is 365, but our third guy is only 360. I was going to get a party together but wanted to know how many 360s we can take to the raid with us? we arent looking to complete it. just going to try and get the first two bosses done before the reset.

We are also looking to do it blind.

nOoblet16

World building, narrative and dialogues took a nosedive to vanilla Destiny level in ROI. TTK was quite impressive in that area, it felt like a major event and we knew what was going on because every place you went to had relevant background information. Here it's like oh stuff happened in past but it's past...just do what we say as there are more important things.

Like SIVA was one of the breakthroughs in golden age, but if it was uncontrollable then why did we never see and reference to it? Entire cities were built using it afterall. Beside why would the Iron Lords not know that it was deadly when they tried to harness it, they have been alive for hundreds of years since the time of the collapse. Why am I shooting monitors to prevent my team from getting wiped? When it came to VoG we knew how the wipe mechanic tied to story with it's time elements, with Crota there was the Oversoul that the Deathsinger's created, with Oryx we had Oryx himself who could harness the darkness because he took it from a worm god.

Here I am shooting TV sets because it will make the core critical...wut?

For anyone that fought Aksis
(phase 2):

When teleporting, will he ever go back to a places he's teleported to before?

Ex: left, bottom middle, left again

No never, which is why you don't need people there anymore...makes it easier to group up as well.

GlamFM

Banned
Different Scenarios. If you were talking about Destiny Vanilla, to Destiny 2, you'd be fine.

Hell, you could probably even get people to buy into Destiny 2 if you add in Destiny Vanilla with Dark Below and House of Wolves.

But once you throw Taken King into the Mix, and now Rise of Iron, people are likely $180+ invested into this game.

Now, on top of that, imagine trying to sell people a new Destiny campaign, that has 4 destination, 8 PvP maps, 5 strikes, and a raid.

How do you think a consumer base would take that?

Just fine. Destiny 2's value HAS to be compared to vanilla. Everything else makes no sense to me.

LiK

GAF, Help!

Is 360 too low for the first few sections of the raid? I am 368 with a friend who is 365, but our third guy is only 360. I was going to get a party together but wanted to know how many 360s we can take to the raid with us? we arent looking to complete it. just going to try and get the first two bosses done before the reset.

Someone said they did the first part as 358, iirc. Should be okay.

Ummmm...
At the time they were attacking the peak, he didn't know what they had and was worried that they were going after the information he had hidden there. Also, isn't what they initially have only the experimental stuff found at Clovis Bray and the Fallen are searching for more information to help expand their research? So he could have potentially useful information to their experiments as well.

That's another thing I don't get:

The Clovis Bray connection.

How did the House of Devils, a house based on Earth, get to Mars in the first place? Is there a Devils presence on Mars somewhere that we don't know about? I mean, there easily could be, but maybe the game (not the app) should share that information somewhere.

GAF, Help!

No. took a 354 friend in there. He was not getting one shotted at any point.

No never, which is why you don't need people there anymore...makes it easier to group up as well.

Perfect. Thank you

Wallach

Well got my plans down for tonight then. 362 current. The chests go up to 365 or no?

The chests go up to I think 385. But you don't seem to get Skeleton Keys if you launch the strike directly from the director. I think they only drop in the playlists.

Also, if I'd thought about it I would have stashed the exotic engrams I was getting from my 3oCs instead of using them. If you just use the blues and legendaries to go from 350-365 you should have a small group of exotic engrams to maybe get a bit higher than 365.

Got to the pre-final-boss encounter as a warlock @ 364-ish on Saturday night (now at 366), now have a titan @ 365. Happy to bring either tonight. I'm on the east coast and my late night poop-socking it has me down on sleep so not looking at a late night of it tonight.

Indeed! Works for me. I'm fine for this time, and if I can get a darn helmet that's above 365 while grinding beforehand I should be 370 on Titan ;-)

I was able to find 3 more via GAF Discord so we have a full team now. A couple were asking for 6:30PM so I've set the time for then, hopefully that works for everyone.

WoTM Fresh Run - 6:30PM EST - Xbox One

1. DomsPlaying
2. ThingontheFloor
3. CrudeDiatribe
4. bobbyrawlins
5. pikachief
6. pikachief friend

I'll send invites around 6:25PM, please let me know if unable to make it.

Top Bottom