• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Whoa 377 without even the raid. Solid dedication! I'm available anytime today, not feeling great so home from work and therefore grinding some Destiny of course ha.

I think we've actually ran some raids or other activities in the past, changed my name on X1 in the past year but we have some mutual buds like Axo, Wiped, Evolved those dudes.

Gotcha, I’m back to work after having off last week (explains the 377 :p), it's rough! I actually miss the grind, haha. I do like they haven’t locked the highest tier behind the raid but seeing the screenshots in my feed and everyone in the thread talking about it makes it difficult to ignore.

Got to the pre-final-boss encounter as a warlock @ 364-ish on Saturday night (now at 366), now have a titan @ 365. Happy to bring either tonight. I'm on the east coast and my late night poop-socking it has me down on sleep so not looking at a late night of it tonight.

Same here, sleep schedule is borked but if we started at around 6PM we could probably make some decent progress.

WoTM Fresh Run - 6PM EST - Xbox One

1. DomsPlaying (Titan)
2. ThingontheFloor (Titan/Hunter)
3. CrudeDiatribe

I can likely bring a friend or 2 if needed as backup.

LiK

i just heard how the Omnigul farming works. i'm not sure how this is better than just doing the regular Strike playlist.

nOoblet16

Hmm. I'd say you're deluded for thinking that Destiny 2 is going to be an entirely new game (brand new engine, etc.), but maybe I'm selling Bungie short in that regard.
Destiny was originally a 10 year plan - I think of the paid DLCs (HoW, RoI, etc) as the smaller updates that MMOs receive between major expansions. Except since we don't pay a monthly fee, we pay for said updates.

The fabled Destiny 2, to me, is akin to Heavensward FFXIV or Legion for WoW - both a massive content update and a decent visual upgrade. Again, I can see a Y1->Y2 retirement situation going on again, but a flat-out wipe of characters & gear just sounds ludicrous to me. Even more ludicrous is that apparently some people are actually willing to pay $60 for the 'privilege' to start all over again.
This is not the same as a yearly CoD where I have no connection to the weapons or gear I'm using - I earned these weapons, I upgraded this armor, etc. Taking them away simply because they added a 2 to the name is an instant nope for me and many others, I'm sure.
Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle it, that's for sure!
The original plan seemed to be Destiny 1 then two expansions like it did with TDB and HoW. Followed by another two expansions in late 2015 then one in April 2016...until Destiny 2 late 2016 and follow the same cycle for 10 years with MNO like progression. Instead we got the April 2016 update which was an overhaul rather than a DLC, and a mid sized DLC in late 2016 that is meant to last for an entire year until a supposed reset with Destiny 2.

Not holding any hopes for April 2017 update in fact I predict it might be even less than this year.

The problems with engine that leads to slow content creation isn't going to go away. I can say this with confidence because Bungie has had this issue for more than 10 years with no real solution.

Anyone else having trouble getting the new exotics? I've turned in maybe 30 or so exotic engrams and have gotten one new weapon and 2 new boots. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but before this expansion the game would try to give you the newer stuff first.

And is Ghallarhorn not that good? I don't really care for it. I'd rather use a sword or Sleeper.

nOoblet16

Anyone else having trouble getting the new exotics? I've turned in maybe 30 or so exotic engrams and have gotten one new weapon and 2 new boots. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but before this expansion the game would try to give you the newer stuff first.

And is Ghallarhorn not that good? I don't really care for it. I'd rather use a sword or Sleeper.
A lot of exotics are tied to quests now.

Zakalwe

Banned
Hmm. I'd say you're deluded for thinking that Destiny 2 is going to be an entirely new game (brand new engine, etc.), but maybe I'm selling Bungie short in that regard.

Every single thing we know about the way Dwstiny works points toward a sequel that will incorporate minimal carry over.

Perhaps our characters will carry on some way, perhaps our achievements like MoT will unlock some unique shaders or emblems or new items they've designed, perhaps our exotics will be remembered in spirit somehow, but this idea that actual gear and items and characters will carry over as is has no basis in what we know about the current game and how similar games have been handled in the past.

I'm basing this off of precidence and logic, you're basing it off of nothing much more than hope.

Destiny was originally a 10 year plan - I think of the paid DLCs (HoW, RoI, etc) as the smaller updates that MMOs receive between major expansions. Except since we don't pay a monthly fee, we pay for said updates.

The 10 year plan thing was never ever embellished to the point we knew they meant OG Destiny would remain its foundation.

In fact, Bungie have always been incredibly tight lipped and secretive in terms of future developments, and fan hype and media speculation have been the thing that have built rumors up to the point people like you are now holding them as facts.

The fabled Destiny 2, to me, is akin to Heavensward FFXIV or Legion for WoW - both a massive content update and a decent visual upgrade. Again, I can see a Y1->Y2 retirement situation going on again, but a flat-out wipe of characters & gear just sounds ludicrous to me. Even more ludicrous is that apparently some people are actually willing to pay $60 for the 'privilege' to start all over again.
This is not the same as a yearly CoD where I have no connection to the weapons or gear I'm using - I earned these weapons, I upgraded this armor, etc. Taking them away simply because they added a 2 to the name is an instant nope for me and many others, I'm sure.
Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle it, that's for sure!

Again, there's absolutely nothing that hints at the things you're hoping for. Nothing.

The way the game is designed cannot possibly support updates in the way you're imagining. The simple fact that the core of it is rooted in the previous gen is enough for us to be absolutely sure of this.

Destiny 2 is going to be an entirely new and seperate game with some small amounts of carry over in terms of acknowledgment of achievements or some kind of spiritual successor style system that pays tribute to your old characters and gear.

There's no way D1 can support the kinds of upgrades they will be wanting to add: visuals, scope, new systems, etc... It would be absolutely impossible.

Hey guys. Is there a list of all the possible strikes that are in the SIVA Crisis playlist?

We just finished off the Stamp in the Book for the 20 strikes, and we're already bored to death with the variety. :/

But I swear that there should be more strikes than what we're seeing:

Out of 20 strikes, I experienced:

5 - Psion Flayers
3 - SABERs
3 - Taniks
3 - Alak'Hul
2 - Shield Bros.
1 - Malok
1 - Sepiks
1 - Undying Mind

I would like to think that
Omingul, Valus Tau'urac, Phogoth, Restorative Mind, and Aksor should be part of the playlist, but I don't get it.

Basically, every strike except for the Nexus should be in this list by now. I guess you could maybe toss out Omnigul, too, if you really wanted.

Gotcha, I’m back to work after having off last week (explains the 377 :p), it's rough! I actually miss the grind, haha. I do like they haven’t locked the highest tier behind the raid but seeing the screenshots in my feed and everyone in the thread talking about it makes it difficult to ignore.

Same here, sleep schedule is borked but if we started at around 6PM we could probably make some decent progress.

WoTM Fresh Run - 6PM EST - Xbox One

1. DomsPlaying (Titan)
2. ThingontheFloor (Titan/Hunter)
3. CrudeDiatribe

I can likely bring a friend or 2 if needed as backup.

Indeed! Works for me. I'm fine for this time, and if I can get a darn helmet that's above 365 while grinding beforehand I should be 370 on Titan ;-)

Vic_Viper

If Rise of Iron is the last DLC for the rest of the year then Destiny is going to be loosing a lot of players. I really hope there's some sort of events or quests that haven't been activated yet because after the raid I'll have done everything there is to do. SRL is not going to bring me back either lol. It's a shame because I love playing the game but there just is nowhere near enough stuff to do still to keep me engaged for long after a couple months. I'd almost rather them charge a monthly fee if it meant we got more content at a steady pace.

Destiny 2 really should be built on a new engine that allows for content changes easily. I can't imagine them trying to go through the trouble all over again with D2.

Even updating the old raids with higher level enimes shouldn't be a massive task. Games like Marvel Heroes are able to adjust that kind of stuff without even pushing an update.

LiK

Hey guys. Is there a list of all the possible strikes that are in the SIVA Crisis playlist?

We just finished off the Stamp in the Book for the 20 strikes, and we're already bored to death with the variety. :/

But I swear that there should be more strikes than what we're seeing:

Out of 20 strikes, I experienced:

5 - Psion Flayers
3 - SABERs
3 - Taniks
3 - Alak'Hul
2 - Shield Bros.
1 - Malok
1 - Sepiks
1 - Undying Mind

I would like to think that
Omingul, Valus Tau'urac, Phogoth, Restorative Mind, and Aksor should be part of the playlist, but I don't get it.

Basically, every strike except for the Nexus should be in this list by now. I guess you could maybe toss out Omnigul, too, if you really wanted.

I got Omingul and Valus Tau'urac CONSTANTLY in the 10 Strikes I played so far. It's like half of the Strikes I played. I'm so sick of it. So probably just different rotation.

Just came back after being away since taken King.

Anything new or worthwhile with Arms Day and Banshee? Any new weapons or does he even give comprable light level ones now?

nOoblet16

these are MMOs
And that has no bearing on the argument which was that "games that have one foot in last gen don't last long". Hence if an open world MMO which has one foot in last gen and another which has one foot two gens old can do it then Destiny can as well since it has even less reason.

Beside Destiny is a game with MMO design. The only thing that isnt MMO about it is the massive part. The point bei

So I finally got a decent roll on a Grasp (rangefinder). Holy HELL this thing is a beast. How did they not nerf it in the last balance patch?

It's like, even way better than the vendor Hawksaw.

deadduck

10 minutes? At what LL? Running at 365 and being pretty efficient and it takes easily twice that.

3 of us between 355-370.

Sparrows to two wave room, kill first wave then super and gally second wave.

High impact snipers on the ogres or tank.

End boss dead before null.

Honestly getting in 5-6 runs an hour.

Edit: from director 320 version. Arc can be even quicker!

Finally got a ghost from a faction package at 373. Got me to 372!

Faction packages and exotic engrams for infusion fodder seemed to drop very nicely. Its nice to do these activities that normally become useless at high level like Bounties and Court of Oryx. They are much more relaxing and easier when you have 3 kids (1 being a baby). I can easily grind Crucible and Vanguard and just stop playing when I need to without letting down a team of 6 getting in the zone in a raid.

Zakalwe

Banned
*Looks at FFXIV*
Yea that game's going to last a while.

Then ofc there is WoW built on 2002 technology.

They're entirely different games, cannot be compared to the way Destiny has been designed currently. There's no way D1 can support the kinds of updates like the games you've mentioned.

And that has no bearing on the argument which was that "games that have one foot in last gen don't last long". Hence if an open world MMO which has one foot in last gen and another which has one foot two gens old can do it then Destiny can as well since it has even less reason.

Beside Destiny is a game with MMO design. The only thing that isnt MMO about it is the massive part. The point bei

The point is that D1 was designed with previous gen console limitations in mind. WoW and FF14 were not, this makes them entirely invalid comparisons.

Destiny absolutely cannot support future updates with the way the current engine is limited. It's impossible. They'd be gimping themselves from the start, there's literally no way they'd be that short sighted and there's absolutely nothing to support the idea it's going to happen.

Bold One

Yours truly. And every other character is at 385.

7moilgu.gif

Do you sleep?

stay gold

I used to want all my stuff to carry forward to Destiny 2, but I've come to be fine with the idea of starting fresh. It's the only way to recapture some of that Vanilla feeling imo.

Kalamari

I imagine Destiy 2 will be a fresh start, but with as many recycled assets as possible. It will be a tough transition for lots of fans who want to keep the gear they earned.

deadduck

Cheap levelling:

Speaker: shards/energy = glimmer
Variks: glimmer + ether seeds = heavy ammo
Faction: heavy ammo donation = rank up

Raid Question:

At 3rd part (Vosiks) we were all in the room during an enrage or whatever and door was closed, 3 of our fireteam died... Any idea why? We were stumped since we thought the room was a safe room for everyone. Yet 3 died while the other 3 of us were fine. Was rather odd. Just curious if we missed something and if there's a reason why you could still die in those rooms.

Raid Question:

At 3rd part (Vosiks) we were all in the room during an enrage or whatever and door was closed, 3 of our fireteam died... Any idea why? We were stumped since we thought the room was a safe room for everyone. Yet 3 died while the other 3 of us were fine. Was rather odd. Just curious if we missed something and if there's a reason why you could still die in those rooms.
Shoot the panel on the side of the doorway to close the door and activate the safe spot. Or are you saying the door was shut with everyone inside and 3 people randomly died inside?

GlamFM

Banned
If Rise of Iron is the last DLC for the rest of the year then Destiny is going to be loosing a lot of players. I really hope there's some sort of events or quests that haven't been activated yet because after the raid I'll have done everything there is to do. SRL is not going to bring me back either lol. It's a shame because I love playing the game but there just is nowhere near enough stuff to do still to keep me engaged for long after a couple months. I'd almost rather them charge a monthly fee if it meant we got more content at a steady pace.

Destiny 2 really should be built on a new engine that allows for content changes easily. I can't imagine them trying to go through the trouble all over again with D2.

Even updating the old raids with higher level enimes shouldn't be a massive task. Games like Marvel Heroes are able to adjust that kind of stuff without even pushing an update.

I suspect that the "live team" that was supposed to drip feed us with content last year will do so this year.

They were moved to ROI when Destiny 2 was delayed.
That's why last year was so dry.

Zakalwe

Banned
I suspect that the "live team" that was supposed to drip feed us with content last year will do so this year.

They were moved to ROI when Destiny 2 was delayed.
That's why last year was so dry.

This is almost certainly what will happen.

There will very likely be in game events leading up to D2 to help build hype, too.

rezn0r

Just skimming the last few pages & people are referencing "the D2 news" - has their actually been any news or is it just a bunch of people debating whether progress will be wiped or not?

The only articles I can find are pretty much opinion pieces...

Waldini

So... the fastest way to level up is to grind the "directors" version of the Omnigul Strike? :eek:

Just skimming the last few pages & people are referencing "the D2 news" - has their actually been any news or is it just a bunch of people debating whether progress will be wiped or not?

I think Bungie confirmed (somewhere) that your Guardian would get transferred from D1 to D2.

They're entirely different games, cannot be compared to the way Destiny has been designed currently. There's no way D1 can support the kinds of updates like the games you've mentioned.

The point is that D1 was designed with previous gen console limitations in mind. WoW and FF14 were not, this makes them entirely invalid comparisons.

Destiny absolutely cannot support future updates with the way the current engine is limited. It's impossible. They'd be gimping themselves from the start, there's literally no way they'd be that short sighted and there's absolutely nothing to support the idea it's going to happen.

I wonder if they still use the "have to load in all the engine overnight" system theyre using.

I imagine thats one huge hindrance.

Zakalwe

Banned

There are facts we're absolutely sure about:

1. The current engine cannot support future updates if they truly want to make the most of this gen.

2. Games in the vein of Destiny that have promised "progression carry over" in the past have never, ever given us that in a seamless sense. Games like WoW are not fair comparisons here as they were never built with roots stuck in a previous console generation.

3. Bungie have always hinted at grand ideas then allowed fan speculation and media hype to build them up, and they've- almost always fallen short of expectations.

Now this doesn't mean it isn't possible for them to find a way to make the carry over of progress more seamless than we've seen in games of this type before, but almost everything we know about the way D1 works, how Bungie operates, and the precedent set by similar games tells us that progress, if carried over, will be limited.

Bold One

If Destiny 2 is going to wipe everything, that would be a kick in the teeth for those who've poured hundreds of hours into their gear and weapons.

Talk about flushing your time down the toilet, it would cement into fact what one of my mates always said about the game upon release 2 years ago, this is a game that has no respect for your time.

Dez_

I think it's all speculation at this point. With Destiny 2, I also more likely to believe that this will be a separate game, not really linked to the first in terms of character progress. Honestly, I'm okay with that. I see a sequel as a fresh start, and while I've sunk a ton of time into this game, I'm still having a lot of fun and enjoying the ride while it lasts. Either way, I'm very curious to see how Destiny 2 will premier next year. Bungie has me hooked, and I have high expectations for the sequel.

Shoot the panel on the side of the doorway to close the door and activate the safe spot. Or are you saying the door was shut with everyone inside and 3 people randomly died inside?

Exactly, all six of us were in the room yet three died. Actually, my friend recorded it:

http://xboxclips.com/Mr Brown 363/c5679d93-54d1-4afd-82fb-b3cffec1bfb8/embed

Link above this might be visible to all, just a heads up it's raid related so don't click it if you want to remain in the dark!

nOoblet16

?? And FFXIV wasn't?

The newest WoW DLC released in 2002 had to build content using an engine that is by current standards 2 generations old tied to old design philosophies. You think an engine created with PS360 in mind for a far less complex game is more limiting than that?

And as I said before, the content creation problem is likely not going away because it hasn't gone away in almost 15 years. It's just how Bungie does things :p

Zakalwe

Banned
?? And FFXIV wasn't?

No, it wasn't. Not in the same way D1 was. Not even close.

And you think the limitations that come from PS360 is worse than the limitations that come from using an engine created in 2002 for 2002 PCs? What! The newest WoW DLC has to use an engine that is by current standards 2 generations old.

The difference is night and day.

An engine built to cater specifically for the set hardware of a previous gen console is in no way compatible to an engine built for PC that can potentially be infinitely upgraded.

There is no "generation" on PC. There are myriad ways to update games such as WoW that simply don't exist for D1.

WoW was built specifically for a platform that would be constantly goring in terms of hardware, D1 was not.

And as I said before, the content creation problem is likely not going away because it hasn't gone away in almost 15 years. It's just how Bungie does things :p

The content creation problem? This has nothing to do with our current debate!

If Destiny 2 is going to wipe everything, that would be a kick in the teeth for those who've poured hundreds of hours into their gear and weapons.

Talk about flushing your time down the toilet, it would cement into fact what one of my mates always said about the game upon release 2 years ago, this is a game that has no respect for your time.

Have you ever played a game like Destiny before?

These kinds of wipes/resets happen all the time. There's no way to avoid it sometimes. The kind of seamless carry over you're imagining simply doesn't exist (and I very much doubt Bungie will be the ones who make it happen first, not based on the way they've consistently failed to live up to expectations... anything is possible though).

rezn0r

I think it's all speculation at this point.

There are facts we're absolutely sure about:

Thanks - so no, there has been no news (not arguing with your points at all).

FWIW I'm not expecting the gear to carry over. I'd be pretty annoyed if the "collectible" (see: kiosk) things are lost, especially the limited items (promotional, triumphs, etc) but it wouldn't be the end of the world. What's left besides that?- basically our characters' looks which if you're like me you never see anyway with your helmet always on... I just hope for a much larger world with more RPGness in it, but don't screw with the shooting gameplay!

Have you ever played a game like Destiny before?

These kinds of wipes/resets happen all the time. There's no way to avoid it sometimes. The kind of seamless carry over you're imagining simply doesn't exist (and I very much doubt Bungie will be the ones who make it happen first, not based on the way they've consistently failed to live up to expectations... anything is possible though).
I'm not sure what you mean by "a game like Destiny" (Halo?) but everything absolutely does carry over through major expansions in World of Warcraft.

I'm expecting us to be able to keep our emotes, emblems and shaders. Anything less is a punch in the gut (and inexcusable, really).

Top Bottom