• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Just fine. Destiny 2's value HAS to be compared to vanilla. Everything else makes no sense to me.

You are not the target demographic here (None of us, here, are). You are not a good representation of the average player/consumer.

Again, I'm talking for a business stand point here. You have to give (or at least convince) the consumer they're getting more than what they had before,

owlbeak

GAF, Help!

Is 360 too low for the first few sections of the raid? I am 368 with a friend who is 365, but our third guy is only 360. I was going to get a party together but wanted to know how many 360s we can take to the raid with us? we arent looking to complete it. just going to try and get the first two bosses done before the reset.

We are also looking to do it blind.

Should be fine. Him being that low would only affect you on the final fight where DPS matters a lot due to the time.

deadduck

Here's the thing.

Destiny 2 would have to have such a crazy amount of content to even get players to consider switching.

Destiny 2 has to be a continuation in the sense that we can still access older content.

Otherwise, you're never going to convince people to buy a $60 game for 1/5th of the content you already have access to.

I mean, even if they overhaul several game systems like character progression, open world environments, and the entire competitive PvP system. There is no way you're going to convince customers that they should pay $60 for the "removal' of 4 raids, 20+ PvP maps, 16 strikes, and 6 destinations.

Destiny 2 has to be an "expansion". From a business standpoint it doesn't work any other way.

This.

We've had YR1 where everything transferred to YR2(and3), but the YR1 content was dropped. Since then although the YR1 weapons/armour can be used they are limited in power and kept for PvP or nostalgia.

I expect the same.

People just paid $30 for a raid, a couple of strikes, a crucible mode, and some new weps and armor. They'll pay $60 for Destiny 2 even if it's only like vanilla Destiny. Or I will anyway lol.

I dont care if the characters carry over or not. All I want is for the PvE and PvP to be kept separate so they can quit nerfing PvE guns.

...Ok, there's a million other things I want as well but I hope they start there (they wont).

That's another thing I don't get:

The Clovis Bray connection.

How did the House of Devils, a house based on Earth, get to Mars in the first place? Is there a Devils presence on Mars somewhere that we don't know about? I mean, there easily could be, but maybe the game (not the app) should share that information somewhere.

It could easily be that they came across some Golden Age information on Earth while looting that directed them towards research facility in Clovis Bray. Maybe one them hacked a computer while the rest defended against multiple waves of Guardians?

I was able to find 3 more via GAF Discord so we have a full team now. A couple were asking for 6:30PM so I've set the time for then, hopefully that works for everyone.

WoTM Fresh Run - 6:30PM EST - Xbox One

1. DomsPlaying
2. ThingontheFloor
3. CrudeDiatribe
4. bobbyrawlins
5. pikachief
6. pikachief friend

I'll send invites around 6:25PM, please let me know if unable to make it.

Awesome ha, I just messaged Bobby here on X1 and was hoping he'd be available!

For Discord, invite needed? Could you shoot one over? Hearing good things and seems active even for X1 Destiny players ;-)

Is 360 too low for the first few sections of the raid? I am 368 with a friend who is 365, but our third guy is only 360.

You will be fine. Opponents start at 350 and goes up to 380.

EDIT: never mind on XB1 raid bump. See we're full.

EDIT2:
For Discord, invite needed? Could you shoot one over? Hearing good things and seems active even for X1 Destiny players ;-)

PM Hawkian, xplicitone, or JohnOfMars.

It could easily be that they came across some Golden Age information on Earth while looting that directed them towards research facility in Clovis Bray. Maybe one them hacked a computer while the rest defended against multiple waves of Guardians?

I know it can be explained away easily. I just want the game to actually do it.

We're getting neither show, nor tell over here.

oSoLucky

I've never experienced lag this bad overall in Crucible. It feels like 80% of the players are laggy jump shotgunners that teleport from the ground to the peak of their jump and back to the ground. It's really hurting my will to continue.

People just paid $30 for a raid, a couple of strikes, a crucible mode, and some new weps and armor. They'll pay $60 for Destiny 2 even if it's only like vanilla Destiny. Or I will anyway lol.
It'll definitely sell. It'll be like TTK - Bungie added new subclasses which was really fun and exciting. Destiny 2 will add some kind of brand new function like a new class or flying vehicles or shields or something like that.

Bold One

Here's the thing.

Destiny 2 would have to have such a crazy amount of content to even get players to consider switching.

Destiny 2 has to be a continuation in the sense that we can still access older content.

Otherwise, you're never going to convince people to buy a $60 game for 1/5th of the content you already have access to.

I mean, even if they overhaul several game systems like character progression, open world environments, and the entire competitive PvP system. There is no way you're going to convince customers that they should pay $60 for the "removal' of 4 raids, 20+ PvP maps, 16 strikes, and 6 destinations.

Destiny 2 has to be an "expansion". From a business standpoint it doesn't work any other way.

Not only that, but Destiny launched to a massive critical and customer backlash. While the gameplay was solid, the content was lacking and it is by the grace of dedicated players and communities like these (OT 42 ffs) that the game continues to thrive, and with the revelation of their nightmarish tools it has become gaming's most successful disasters.

Wiping the slate clean and forcing us to start everything from scratch is a dick-move as far as I'm concerned.

void666

Banned
Here's the thing.

What? So people would keep playing the same old content forever?
Give me new content and i'll switch in a heartbeat.
I'm a day 1 guardian with hundreds of hours spent playing this game.
And i hope destiny 2 is a fresh start. Nothing carry over. Give me a shader, emblem or whatever for being there since the beginning.
Even if i start from scratch in destiny 2 that doesn't mean my time with destiny 1 was wasted because i had loads of fun.

Wallach

And i hope destiny 2 is a fresh start. Nothing carry over. Give me a shader, emblem or whatever for being there since the beginning.
Even if i start from scratch in destiny 2 that doesn't mean my time with destiny 1 was wasted because i had loads of fun.

Yep. This is more of a marketing question than a content one. Players - even casual players - are going to be bored of Destiny's content by the time this sequel's marketing starts, and every single piece of content in it will be able to be angled as entirely fresh and new.

I'm really confident whatever "Destiny 2" is will be a clean break. It won't be an expansion.

Deku Tree

GAF, Help!

Is 360 too low for the first few sections of the raid? I am 368 with a friend who is 365, but our third guy is only 360. I was going to get a party together but wanted to know how many 360s we can take to the raid with us? we arent looking to complete it. just going to try and get the first two bosses done before the reset.

My group carried a 344 through to the final boss yesterday. It was a fairly smooth run too.

Strider

Acting like people aren't gonna switch to Destiny 2 or new players will buy the old product if it's a whole new game and not an "expansion" because of the amount of content is sily to me.

Destiny 2 is gonna be the hot new product and sell an absolute crap ton. It's gonna have less than what Destiny collection edition has and it won't matter one bit.

nOoblet16

GAF, Help!

You can go up to final encounter with a 360 with ease.
You can even finish the final encounter with a 360 provided he is good at staying alive and doing tasks.

Matt Frost

I've got several qualms with this story to be honest:

To start with, Saladin seems to be more of an asshole now. It's weird, I used to like him over Shaxx before, but the situation has almost reversed. Every time Ghost or Shiro asks him a question, he gives a non-answer. Telling you that your idea is irrelevant, or there are more important things to worry about.

He flips out over the idea of people attacking the Temple on Felwinter peak, but why? What's actually up there? The Fallen already have SIVA, so I doubt there would be any new information for them there. Or was he just worried about the Fallen scraping the statues?

The mission with the Cannon's was super disappointing. Shiro said something about Hawks for reinforcements. But they never showed. That would have been such a great world building moment.

That whole speech Shiro gives just before fighting Sepiks makes no sense. Ghost asks a question and Shiro says, "I can take a guess." But his guess sounds dumb. He tried driving how that whole God comparison, and it just came off really odd.

The intro cinematic shows Saladin fighting off those nanomachine things with his Axe, but the few places those things show up in game don't actually do anything. The game needs to learn to not have big bads with a story of "And these big bads know how to actually kill guardians." Because we know from a gameplay standpoint that we can't die, so it 100% takes the wind out of the sails.

This makes the final chamber area really confusing. Fighting these fallen iron lords, but why am I not worried about what converted them in the first place?

Finally, what the fuck is SIVA? does it have a mind of it's own? It seems like they were hinting that SIVA has an influence over the Fallen, more than the Fallen have an influence over it. What the hell was actually going on there? Since nothing was explained, it seems like the Fallen just found a new stylist for their armor and vehicles. Like, "He you guys like these Triangles? There is just something really aesthetically pleasing about these triangles... I think I'm going to put some triangles on my face, maybe that Walker over there, too."

Sorry for the negativity. Just some issues I have.

No negativity at all, I felt almost the same way...

SkylineRKR

If Destiny 2 is a well structured game right off the bat people will forget about their D1 character immediately. And it will sell gangbusters.

I have lots of faith in D2, its pretty much what I'm looking forward to. The gameplay is fine as is. They will use a better engine for easier implementation of add ons, and last-gen is dropped from launch. They also learnt from Destiny 1, though Bungie does tend to fuck up things that seemed to gel well with the user base.

I would start a Destiny 2 fresh anyway. Vanilla Destiny 2 will offer less than D1+TDB+HoW+TTK+ROI like duh. Battlefield 4 launch offered less than BF3 with Aftermath and all that.

But, the base game of D2 could and should be better right off the bat. I expect a much better thought out story progression that at least makes some sense. And probably a more immersive and lively world, perhaps less but more if you know what I mean. Destiny 1 takes you out of the action constantly with its return to orbit stuff, it feels cheap but the game was quickly thrown together as we know per Kotaku. And they couldn't really expand it because of the engine.

So with Archon's forge and the SIVA offerings, is it me or is everyone having a hard time getting the offerings?
Does anyone know if it's more than just random drops? Are there enemies that drop them more often? Can you get an option to buy the offerings? Can you hold more than one offering at a time?
It's annoying how hard it is to get into the forge right now.

New content is great, but look at it this way:

If I told you Destiny 2 had
  • 9 Destinations (4 new)
  • 23 Strike (5 new)
  • 30 PvP Maps (8 new)
  • 5 Raids (1 new)

Doesn't that list look better than:
  • 4 Destinations
  • 5 Strikes
  • 8 PvP Maps
  • 1 Raid

Of course, there is the idea that Bungie likes to reuse content. So if Destiny 2 was a full split, they'd likely have several call backs. A list of Exotic weapons and armors, as well as their favorite PvP maps would probably be recycled in an effort to relieve some dev time for other things.

You can go up to final encounter with a 360 with ease.
You can even finish the final encounter with a 360 provided he is good at staying alive and doing tasks.

I tried the first encounter last night at 367 and couldn't stay alive.
scorch captain would one shot me every time.

Everyone else was doing okay at similar light though. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but we only did 3 tries or so.

LiK

So with Archon's forge and the SIVA offerings, is it me or is everyone having a hard time getting the offerings?
Does anyone know if it's more than just random drops? Are there enemies that drop them more often? Can you get an option to buy the offerings? Can you hold more than one offering at a time?

I got it as a random drop from a random Splicer outside the Forge and it was a Perfect Offering even tho I was way underleveled for it. Lol. I bet those 6 guys were shocked when I used it XD

nOoblet16

Is this new raid easy? People don't seem to have any trouble with it.
The final boss is complex due to random role switching and short window of opportunity..more so than Oryx. The rest of the raid is kind of like VoG like complexity so pretty simple solution but still very fun and not Crota level easy where it's basically a strike.

The best thing about this raid is that you are constantly on the move every single second, straight from the first minute.

Strider

It doesn't matter if stuff carries over basically... All that matters is if the game is good.

After the 3 years I'll be ready to start over. 3 years is the perfect amount of time for each game IMO.

---

Anyway Forza horizon has consumed me this weekend so i haven't played destiny in a couple of days other than buying the armor from Xur. Maybe I can be raid ready by next week and join a group... Impressions sound good and it also seems like it's doable at low light

nOoblet16

Everyone else was doing okay at similar light though. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but we only did 3 tries or so.

They can't one shot you at 367, you were probably taking or took damage elsewhere, I was lower than you and have survived the shot.
I did that part at 365 easily without feeling underleveled and I was the one killing captains most of the time with my dark drinker despite my partner being higher light level.

A tether as soon as he comes out means he can't even shoot you, or you can use a blessings to take more damage.

LiK

The final boss is complex due to random role switching and short window of opportunity..more so than Oryx. The rest of the raid is kind of like VoG like complexity so pretty simple solution but still very fun and not Crota level easy where it's basically a strike.

The best thing about this raid is that you are constantly on the move every single second, straight from the first minute.

Sounds good. I look forward to joining some old raid buddies if they will still have me.

Hedgey

roy2D.png

OOPS.
God daaaamn.
I woke up at around midnight yesterday, didn't know that I was actually up and playing for nearly 24 hours.

It's baffling that heroic strikes don't count towards the 20 (regular) strikes needed in the record book.
Also baffling: not being to able to choose heroic versions of story missions when playing them for the first time (also for the book).

LiK

It's baffling that heroic strikes don't count towards the 20 (regular) strikes needed in the record book.
Also baffling: not being to able to choose heroic versions of story missions when playing them for the first time (also for the book).

Yea, I was surprised Heroic doesn't count either. Now I need to keep playing it for lesser rewards.

LTWood12

Are you talking about the first part of the final encounter, or literally the first part of the raid?

enemies I think are 350 in that first area. nothing should be one shotting you.

raindoc

I wouldn't know, I'm having a hard time finding other players in the forge to use offerings with.

If that arena was at least close to the spawn so one could easily swing by looking for other customers, but noooooooooooo...

They can't one shot you at 367, you were probably taking or took damage elsewhere, I was lower than you and have survived the shot.
I did that part at 365 easily without feeling underleveled and I was the one killing captains most of the time with my dark drinker despite my partner being higher light level.

A tether as soon as he comes out means he can't even shoot you, or you can use a blessings to take more damage.

I did notice the guy with the sword had better luck. I was bouncing around with my horn. Figured that I'd need it for boss dps at some point.

Wallach

I only watched the final encounter for a bit (when Gothalion and his group were learning it) but it looked to me like you should be able to run a setup where only half your raid group ever has to consider changing general positions during that final encounter. Still, it would require folks understand when and where they're moving consistently (especially in the case where you have a death and need to correct for their job during their timer). Liked the design of the fight though, and the room itself clearly had some thought put into it.

All of the other encounters looked pretty straightforward, but really entertaining. Would like to get in there this weekend.

Hedgey

I wouldn't know, I'm having a hard time finding other players in the forge to use offerings with.

If that arena was at least close to the spawn so one could easily swing by looking for other customers, but noooooooooooo...

Once you get an offering, check Destiny LFG. There are groups of 4+ people that have recruited each other in the same play session and need people with offerings to keep their play session together. Yesterday I had 5 people, recruited another one to get some more offerings flowing.

Offerings spawn more often for the people that use them, and sometimes they're easy to miss on the ground.

ch4fx_

Can a 350 hunter effectively farm Omnigol? If so, i'd be down for a few hours of it in a bit. Need to get that gear up to raid worthy.

If you can't find a group for Omni, just farm the Sepiks Perfected (The Devils Lair on hard) strike over & over. It's not as quick as Omni, but you get rep to go along with the loot drops.

Top Bottom