• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

noomi

Is 354 LL too low for the NF? Looking to knock it out after work before reset tomorrow.

The nightfall can be tough enough at even 360, but with a level headed team you shouldn't have too much of an issue getting through.

I had a way harder time getting through the 1st nightfall once TTK hit than I did with RoI.

Is 354 LL too low for the NF? Looking to knock it out after work before reset tomorrow.

How the hell are people dealing with the Arc Shanks in the Nightfall? Myself and two friends were having a hard time doing that strike on Heroic with Arc Burn because the Shanks all spawn so high up, and since there is no good cover in the entire room, we couldn't juggle the boss, the ogre, and the shanks all at once.

Wallach

The nightfall can be tough enough at even 360, but with a level headed team you shouldn't have too much of an issue getting through.

I had a way harder time getting through the 1st nightfall once TTK hit than I did with RoI.

Hm, that reminds me I haven't done a Nightfall since RoI came out. Anyone want to do that later tonight (PS4)?

I wouldn't know, I'm having a hard time finding other players in the forge to use offerings with.

If that arena was at least close to the spawn so one could easily swing by looking for other customers, but noooooooooooo...

Yeah that's another thing, usually it's empty. I was wondering if that was the case cause people weren't getting drops all that often like me. I've waited around for a while when i do have one, sometimes i just leave and come back to see if i can load another group. I never remember it being bad in TTK and the court.

Hedgey

That part is more just us being underleveled instead of tough.

Can attest to this. I first tried the raid at 365,
couldn't beat the second form of Aksis (or even deal very much DPS), and we had at least one death every cycle.
Came back at 370 and had no problem.

Jabronium

Yeah that's another thing, usually it's empty. I was wondering if that was the case cause people weren't getting drops all that often like me. I've waited around for a while when i do have one, sometimes i just leave and come back to see if i can load another group. I never remember it being bad in TTK and the court.

I had to zone in and out a few times yesterday doing the slow walk up the stairs, but managed to get lucky and find a few groups that went for 30-45 mins each. Ton of engrams and got the fusion rifle, but only had 1 offering drop for myself that whole time. Frustrating.

Dez_

Random question, but since Arc burn has been going on this week for NF and heroic strikes, is it better to have armor that reduces arc damage or simply have armor that increases with your specific subclass? I can't really tell the difference whether I can take a few extra hits or not between the two.

FrankT

How the hell are people dealing with the Arc Shanks in the Nightfall? Myself and two friends were having a hard time doing that strike on Heroic with Arc Burn because the Shanks all spawn so high up, and since there is no good cover in the entire room, we couldn't juggle the boss, the ogre, and the shanks all at once.

Its a lot of BS rolled in together for certain. I saw one person in a random strike find a hiding spot but couldn't damage anything.

Random question, but since Arc burn has been going on this week for NF and heroic strikes, is it better to have armor that reduces arc damage or simply have armor that increases with your specific subclass? I can't really tell the difference whether I can take a few extra hits or not between the two.
I think armor with Arc Burn defense must be better than arc-subclass armor (which is only +1 armor in PvP I think) but I don't really know what the statistics are. Anyone know how much arc burn defense helps?

nOoblet16

I only watched the final encounter for a bit (when Gothalion and his group were learning it) but it looked to me like you should be able to run a setup where only half your raid group ever has to consider changing general positions during that final encounter. Still, it would require folks understand when and where they're moving consistently (especially in the case where you have a death and need to correct for their job during their timer). Liked the design of the fight though, and the room itself clearly had some thought put into it.

All of the other encounters looked pretty straightforward, but really entertaining. Would like to get in there this weekend.

Yes that's what we try too, each side we designate a roamer and a static.
The static always stays there no matter what and if two people on one side get a buff then that means there is a side with no buff so the roamers in these two side switch. The exception to this are times when a buffed guardian adjacent to you seems like he cant make it so even if you are a static if you have a buff, you should just go for it since the buff randomises after each dps window anyway. The other exception is when a death happens, that makes it more complicated.

You can also loosely control the timing of when that particular phase starts since
teleports don't start until the last bomb is thrown
so that you can make sure each side is ok. It's a lot of fun to play as a Titan in this fight because of how quickly you can cover the entire room by skating.

So with Archon's forge and the SIVA offerings, is it me or is everyone having a hard time getting the offerings?
Does anyone know if it's more than just random drops? Are there enemies that drop them more often? Can you get an option to buy the offerings? Can you hold more than one offering at a time?
It's annoying how hard it is to get into the forge right now.

Lastnight me and 5 of my friends were in that forge for at least an hour. We decided we weren't going to leave till we stopped getting offerings and they just kept dropping for us. It was entertaining as hell. Pretty sure i lost some items due to postmaster being full as well.

We had to just get insanely lucky though. There were times when we had an offering and another one was on the ground waiting to be picked up.

You will be fine. Opponents start at 350 and goes up to 380.

EDIT: never mind on XB1 raid bump. See we're full.

EDIT2:

PM Hawkian, xplicitone, or JohnOfMars.

Thanks Crude, I have chatted with both Hawk and Xplicit before so I'll get a note out to them now.

Also will add you for the raid later on.

SpecX

I wouldn't know, I'm having a hard time finding other players in the forge to use offerings with.

If that arena was at least close to the spawn so one could easily swing by looking for other customers, but noooooooooooo...

Agreed, I actually accidentally ran into this area since it doesn't stick out and isn't in an easy location to spot and navigate to at first. Court of Oryx was perfect since you had a mission highlight where it was located and it's fairly simple to navigate to. I've got one solid swing at the arena with some randoms and mostly find the area to be empty. CoO probably still has more activity than this and it's old content at this point.

MrDaravon

Going to finish blowing through the last of the story stuff on my Titan, then hoping to get 3x NF and CoE done, anyone around on PS4 that wants to tag along?

On a directly related note how difficult is the NF this week? Heard lots of complaining about it, all of my characters are 365ish.

Number45

I think armor with Arc Burn defense must be better than arc-subclass armor (which is only +1 armor in PvP I think) but I don't really know what the statistics are. Anyone know how much arc burn defense helps?
I can't remember the outcome of the tests, but Datto did some basic testing here.

void666

Banned

Don't wait. Go back to archon's keep and slowly walks towards the forge so the game will have time to proper matchmake. If it's empty try again. I did this trick a few times and there's always someone at the forge.

We tried spliting roles. One draws ogre agro, one kills shanks and one damage the boss.
It works... sometimes.
There's also a cheesing spot. You hide behind some debris and the ogre can't (usually) hit you.
Those shanks are bullshit. They shoot you while descending. Does regular shanks shoot while moving?

What? So people would keep playing the same old content forever?
Give me new content and i'll switch in a heartbeat.
I'm a day 1 guardian with hundreds of hours spent playing this game.
And i hope destiny 2 is a fresh start. Nothing carry over. Give me a shader, emblem or whatever for being there since the beginning.
Even if i start from scratch in destiny 2 that doesn't mean my time with destiny 1 was wasted because i had loads of fun.

Some of y'all are fucking crazy if you think Destiny 2 will not be a gigantic sales monster. It doesnt matter if it wipes the slate clean and it doesnt even gives us a "special emblem" for playing destiny 1. I have 2k hours in Destiny and im pressing that pre order button as soon as its up, i really dont care that my gjallahorn, my perfect pvp build, even my fully leveled bladedancer will stay behind. You are all fooling yourselves if you think any significant number of people that played Destiny seriously wont buy D2 because "oh god im losing my character".

hydruxo

Some of y'all are fucking crazy if you think Destiny 2 will not be a gigantic sales monster. It doesnt matter if it wipes the slate clean and it doesnt even gives us a "special emblem" for playing destiny 1. I have 2k hours in Destiny and im pressing that pre order button as soon as its up, i really dont care that my gjallahorn, my perfect pvp build, even my fully leveled bladedancer will stay behind. You are all fooling yourself if any significant number of people that played Destiny seriously wont buy D2 because "oh god im losing my character".

Tbh, I want a fresh start. I want to lose all my weapons and armor. I know not everyone feels the same but I want a whole new set of new stuff rather than dragging along gear I've been using for ages.

todd360

Some of y'all are fucking crazy if you think Destiny 2 will not be a gigantic sales monster. It doesnt matter if it wipes the slate clean and it doesnt even gives us a "special emblem" for playing destiny 1. I have 2k hours in Destiny and im pressing that pre order button as soon as its up, i really dont care that my gjallahorn, my perfect pvp build, even my fully leveled bladedancer will stay behind. You are all fooling yourselves if you think any significant number of people that played Destiny seriously wont buy D2 because "oh god im losing my character".

You just decrypted truth.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Don't wait. Go back to archon's keep and slowly walks towards the forge so the game will have time to proper matchmake. If it's empty try again. I did this trick a few times and there's always someone at the forge.

We tried spliting roles. One draws ogre agro, one kills shanks and one damage the boss.
It works... sometimes.
There's also a cheesing spot. You hide behind some debris and the ogre can't (usually) hit you.
Those shanks are bullshit. They shoot you while descending. Does regular shanks shoot while moving?

My advice is pretty much the same. During my run someone managed to keep the Ogre distracted by hiding which did really help. I'm not sure how hard it is.

As for the shanks you can take them out before they shoot and you basically have to to survive. When you notice the first one just keep taking them out until you're sure they aren't any left. They will one shot most players so you can't let them fly around. My advice is as soon as you notice something new on the radar start taking out shanks and don't stop until you're 100% sure they've stopped spawning.

It was a pretty bad strike to couple with arc burn for week one, it is doable though even at a lower light level.

Number45

Tbh, I want a fresh start. I want to lose all my weapons and armor. I know not everyone feels the same but I want a whole new set of new stuff rather than dragging along gear I've been using for ages.
The more I think about it, the more this has been my stance as well. I've put so much time into these characters throughout the lifetime of Destiny... but I'm not attached to them in any way at all. I can make a new titan at any time and it would be no different aside from some fairly arbitrary stats.

In fact right now I'm making a concerted effort to bench many of my go to PvE weapons just to mix it up a little.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Blind Raid Tonight 7PM EST.

I understand that the debate is tonight so this will mostly be a trial run for next week. We will stop at 9PM.

We need three people. Requirements:

- Be Around Light Level 360.
- Not have done this raid before.
- Not have funded any white supremacist groups
- If you are light level 370+, we are willing to waive the previous requirement

Quote and add your name please.

1) SlimySnake (PSN: TheNegativeDude)
2) _Dez (PSN: rcmdez)
3) MiamiWesker (PSN: dvader654)
4)
5)
6)

The more I think about it, the more this has been my stance as well. I've put so much time into these characters throughout the lifetime of Destiny... but I'm not attached to them in any way at all. I can make a new titan at any time and it would be no different aside from some fairly arbitrary stats.

In fact right now I'm making a concerted effort to bench many of my go to PvE weapons just to mix it up a little.

I'm actually in the boat as well, but only regarding weapons and armor. Hell, maybe even subclasses/abilities.

But I really want to keep the playable space. I've already found myself near bored with the strike playlist, because I happen to keep getting a small amount of strikes in the rotation, and that thing has like 13+ strikes in it right now.

Can you imagine a strike playlist that only has 5 strikes in it again?

Can you imagine a 6v6 Crucible playlist that only has like 5 or 6 maps to it? Or a 3v3 playlist that only has like 3 or 4 good maps to it?

That's my biggest concern with the whole idea of resetting the content.

I'm actually in the boat as well, but only regarding weapons and armor. Hell, maybe even subclasses/abilities.

But I really want to keep the playable space. I've already found myself near bored with the strike playlist, because I happen to keep getting a small amount of strikes in the rotation, and that thing has like 13+ strikes in it right now.

Can you imagine a 6v6 Crucible playlist that only has like 5 or 6 maps to it? Or a 3v3 playlist that only has like 3 or 4 good maps to it?

That's my biggest concern with the whole idea of resetting the content.

This would be the best of both worlds. Way too many assets to just throw away. I want a full galaxy of playable worlds by Destiny 3 or 4.

raindoc

Let's talk CoO post-RoI - I've still got a shitload of runes to use and I'm wondering if it's any good to use a 3oC hoping that a LL 365+ exotic drops at some point.

And I still haven't done the Nightfall. Or Raid. Also wouldn't mind hanging out in the Forge, got a blue SIVA offering.
LL 365ish Warlock, raindoc on PSN.
I'll be available in an hour or two.

Anyone down for a fresh raid or final boss kill in 1-2 hours?
I'm down for something fresh.

Number45

Heh, I seemed to get nothing but Taniks on Saturday.

I understand the concerns about content. Personally I'm hoping Bungie have a much better idea of the rate at which their player base will consume the content (I think it was too late for RoI) and will adjust accordingly for Destiny 2 - and that they'll go back to the original plan of roadmapping major content in advance (spring surprises like the April update as well).

I think they were blind-sided with how rabidly people consumed what they made available in Destiny 1 and I hope they've made the necessary adjustments to stop it from happening (I think stopping it is unlikely, but trying to reduce the burn) again. How many other games sustain a world in the way Destiny does without charging a recurring fee? I know there are those out there, but they must monetise it in some way surely?

jacobs34

Question to those who have have finished the raid multiple times. How long is it taking your groups to finish the raid on second and third tries?

I understand that the debate is tonight so this will mostly be a trial run for next week. We will stop at 9PM.

4)
5)
6)

I want to make sure we get people that want a blind raid. I have never done one, I know it's difficult but for me finding out something on your own or in this case as a group is so rewarding. I never use guides for games, I love a challenge.

I want people who are fine with trial and error. Who won't get frustrated and try to cheat by looking online. I want people that love that feeling of discovery because when we figure out how to complete a room or a boss it's going to be special because we did it, we didn't follow some template online just to make it easier. The fun is in discovery, not the reward.

At least that's how I feel. We probably won't finish it tonight, maybe we do a room or two but it should be a nice preview before we really commit to do the rest of the raid. And also I don't think it will be super strict, if we are stuck for like three hours and we all agree we need a hint that's ok, but I want a good effort to do this blind.

milkham

I feel like your "character" in Destiny is your vault. That's where all your history and uniqueness is. Has "Guardian" actually spoken since... Vanilla? I'd like for Destiny 2 to have story characters that actually go somewhere with you, other guardians that do more than stand around a map and talk in your ear and to your ghost. Although, I guess that might introduce some dialogue difficulty since our Guardians have no names.

Whoyouare

4)Whoyouare (PSN: manicstreet)
5)
6)