• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New page already dang

This is a link to a master post on current progression that everyone who feels like they are struggling should read:
Information on Current Farms and Progression Activities

Updated with correct information about Archon's Forge drops, using Crucible for progression, and exotic engrams in general.

Does anyone have that link handy about how to force matchmaking for AF? I could add it to that post.

oSoLucky

Now updated as described.

The raid info is particularly relevant IMO. I strongly believe that players should be encouraged to run as much of they raid as they can on their available characters as soon as they can- even and especially if that means starting without any hope of completing it. Raid drops begin at LL 365.

Though I generically disapprove of the notion of difficulty being tied to being underleveled, in this particular case I will have to disagree with you, because a group of 380s will be able to make an absolute mockery of
Aksis

I think that's more a problem of encounter design then. The soft LL gate is at 365, and I feel like the normal mode should never be artificially tied to a LL far beyond what the game slows down your progression at. I have hated it in every single game that I've played that does this. I'm fine with hard mode being such, but for NM, I think either having the final boss be 370 or allowing the LL slowing to start at 370 would be better options.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think that's more a problem of encounter design then. The soft LL gate is at 365, and I feel like the normal mode should never be artificially tied to a LL far beyond what the game slows down your progression at. I have hated it in every single game that I've played that does this. I'm fine with hard mode being such, but for NM, I think either having the final boss be 370 or allowing the LL slowing to start at 370 would be better options.
What do you mean by a problem of encounter design exactly?

What you're describing would be much more of a problem if 380 was required for the fight, but it can concretely be completed without a single party member at that level. While conceptually I am in agreement with you about vertical progression, in this individual instance it just so happens that it could be a much bigger deal than it is.

I compare it to Crota's End, in which the forced, not-at-all-granular underleveling presented massive DPS and survivability handicaps for the entire party, no matter how much "grinding" they'd done. This is a very different scenario.

Maybe a simple way to put it would be this: at 365 you are more than ready to enter the raid. So it seems like a pretty reasonable "gel cap," to use a year 1 term, since you'll indeed be able to get a little higher after entering, and especially just prior to the final fight.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Agreed. I've already given up on raid because people are asking for 365/370+ in the first fucking week itself. At least VoG normal mode was somewhat doable with a group of lvl 27 guardian, and no one refused to take a 28 with them. Good thing FH3 unlocked today so I'll be spending most of my time there.

Dont give up lol. We did a blind raid last night with level 359-370 guys and pretty much cruised through the first few stages. the low 360 guys were able to hold their own and do enough damage to take out the bosses in time.

add me on psn: thenegativedude. we already have a raid group to finish the blind raid but i will be running it on my alts later this week. just try to get close to level 360, if not thats ok.

Nicodemic

Calling guardians Pandora and Light Knight! Would be fun to do the daily and weekly stuff together if you guys are available tonight!

Will be online at 7h30pm east.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There should be an artifact called memory of Driz. Basically a crimson double like power up. All stats boosted when all teammates are down. Supers and everything recharged.

deviant1

Anyone else feel like they get the same loot decrypting from engrams? I've had 3 exotic heavy engrams turn into 3 Dragons Breath, 3 Exotic Chest = 3 Armamentarium, 3 Legendary Primary engrams + 1 Blue Primary = 4 Last Extremity. All infusion fodder :(

oSoLucky

What do you mean by a problem of encounter design exactly?

What you're describing would be much more of a problem if 380 was required for the fight, but it can concretely be completed without a single party member at that level. While conceptually I am in agreement with you about vertical progression, in this individual instance it just so happens that it could be a much bigger deal than it is.

I compare it to Crota's End, in which the forced, not-at-all-granular underleveling presented massive DPS and survivability handicaps for the entire party, no matter how much "grinding" they'd done. This is a very different scenario.

Maybe a simple way to put it would be this: at 365 you are more than ready to enter the raid. So it seems like a pretty reasonable "gel cap," to use a year 1 term, since you'll indeed be able to get a little higher after entering, and especially just prior to the final fight.

I believe that the final fight is only difficult for most groups due to the LL differences. Communication can be a roadblock, but random deaths/not having enough dps are attributed a lot due to incoming and outgoing damage penalties. I would much rather have there be mechanics in place that make the fights more difficult rather than go from really hard to trivial based "purely" on light level. I think it's just a cheap mechanism for progression. Of course fights will always get somewhat easier with experience and level, but I don't think the design should make it this stark of a difference.

It's quite possible that I'm overreacting here. Maybe if the raid were actually broken into multiple parts it would sit better with me. I've cleared it, and will run every week for aesthetics and fun if nothing else, but I just don't like the direction the difficulty took at the end.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So at LL 353, it it a good idea to do just the first couple of encounters in the raid? Or is that just asking for trouble?
You can complete the first boss at that LL and get a pretty substantial upgrade from its loot drop. Just be aware that wihile your LL is adequate for it, the fight itself isn't trivial and takes communication.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I believe that the final fight is only difficult for most groups due to the LL differences.
To some extent this may be a matter of opinion- but I personally have found this to be wholly untrue. In fact, the aspect of the fight I would describe as the most difficult by a substantial margin involves neither doing nor receiving damage at all.
Communication can be a roadblock, but random deaths/not having enough dps are attributed a lot due to incoming and outgoing damage penalties.
Random deaths are themselves the biggest factor that will contribute to not having enough DPS. And those deaths can be mitigated by playing safe and becoming knowledgeable about the room itself.

The thing is, the entire fight is designed to force your group to panic, to react hastily, to get out of sequence, to freak out, to get yourself killed. In reality, you have quite a bit of leeway in every aspect but one- and simply staying calm, taking your time, keeping tabs on everyone's position and status, will get you through the fight. Merely having a higher LL actually won't, even though individual tasks will be easier to complete.
are omnigul and sepiks perfected the only 2 strikes that give 365 blues in the 320 versions?
I don't think so, but I haven't yet tested this at all. I'm 99% sure I did get said blues from the Wretched Eye from the director at least.

soultron

Banned
Minor thing but if you have a Spinmetal spawn near the Archon's Forge opening (before the loading corridor into AF itself) be sure to go back and grab it every time if you're constantly trying but failing to get a good AF instance. It will always respawn.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ty for the run, that was crazy as shit! Got some nice drops from those two Perfected offerings as well

EDIT: ooops completely missed you chat voice invite, sorry!

Ha, yeh great runs. It was never ending purple rain!

And missing the party invite was probably for the best, I've had far too much caffeine today.

CREMSteve

Minor thing but if you have a Spinmetal spawn near the Archon's Forge opening (before the loading corridor into AF itself) be sure to go back and grab it every time if you're constantly trying but failing to get a good AF instance. It will always respawn.
So grabbing the spinmetal changes the instance?

Vic_Viper

Anyone else get 2 new quests for patrolling the Plaugelands today? Wonder if they will be doing this once a week for a bit.

I totally messed up and bought a weapon from the Dead Orbit vendor on accident. Meant to just check it out but hit the wrong button not paying attention damnit. They need a refund option lol. It's the Scout Rifle he's selling atm. Anyone know if it's any good or should I just dismantle it lol?

Also how do I get Skeliton Keys? I've done atleast 10 heroic strikes and haven't gotten 1 other than the first one you get doing the story. The drop rate is horrible for those. I get tons of Siva offerings and advanced siva offerings but no one does those missions.

wait, why am I getting extra light sometimes on items when I infuse them? I just infused a couple pieces of armor using 351 pieces and they both came out 352.

Anyone else get 2 new quests for patrolling the Plaugelands today? Wonder if they will be doing this once a week for a bit.

I totally messed up and bought a weapon from the Dead Orbit vendor on accident. Meant to just check it out but hit the wrong button not paying attention damnit. They need a refund option lol. It's the Scout Rifle he's selling atm. Anyone know if it's any good or should I just dismantle it lol?

Also how do I get Skeliton Keys? I've done atleast 10 heroic strikes and haven't gotten 1 other than the first one you get doing the story. The drop rate is horrible for those. I get tons of Siva offerings and advanced siva offerings but no one does those missions.
I like that scout.

Why not try it before dismantling it?

The drop rate for skeleton keys is pretty low. It increases the higher the difficulty of the strike.

Top Bottom