• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I like the whole being OP thing. I played games like Disgeaea and my character has been lv 9999 dozens of times over. I kill the secret boss in two hits and I do like 9 million damage per hit. I tend to over level myself in every rpg I play. A lot of games don't have any restriction. A lot of old school stuff does however.

DjRalford

Forge is officially awesome, 6 offerings between us in a random group, all cleared except perfected captain. We actually completed perfected servitor with 5 seconds to spare!

361 now thanks to sweet drops

Edit

I think I just figured something out, if you infuse a fully unlocked item into another it seems to add +1 to the light level

Deku Tree

One of the terms we’ll be hearing often with Destiny 2, according to sources, is “play-in destinations”—a new activity model that will revamp how Destiny’s world functions. The plan, from what I’ve heard, is for Destiny 2's planets to feel more populated with towns, outposts, and quests that are more interesting than the patrol missions you can get in Destiny.

http://kotaku.com/sources-destiny-2-coming-to-pc-aims-to-feel-like-a-to-1787153460

gimme some “play-in destinations”

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Looks like we could be hard mode raid ready before it even hits.

rzN9uvF.png

labx

Banned
Ok guys, just get my copy. Lets do it. I'm super newbie. Only played The first one and did the first Raid, I already add my man Hawkian and my man Ryck. I'm talk English and Spanish.

I will be "bothering" you all at the Discord. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

ps: GODDAMN 13 gb update.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Looking for 4 more abled bodies to complete WotM raid. Fresh run. Please know the encounters and be 365+.

1. Dontbrickmebro
2. Quint.
3. XenoRaven
5. GraveRobberX

Msg Dontbrickmebro on PSN. Raid starts as soon as we get our 6.

I'll join
370 Warlock

Apparently it does if you like, enter the room slowly, or something. I still haven't tried this myself.

Still depends on your luck since people on r/DTG were posting conflicting stories (a few people said they tried it for up to an hour).

I just wish they'd give that & CoO MM (or let fireteams fly to it so they'd get matched quicker) like they eventually did for PoE.

I don't mean to contradict on your last post, but I think MM in AF is something everyone can get behind (AFKs spawn behind the wall. If they try to run out and hide - push them in the lava and dont res them).

But it doesn't get any better than wreaking havoc with randoms:

1.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still depends on your luck since people on r/DTG were posting conflicting stories (a few people said they tried it for up to an hour).

I just wish they'd give that & CoO MM (or let fireteams fly to it so they'd get matched quicker) like they eventually did for PoE.

I don't mean to contradict on your last post, but I think MM in AF is something everyone can get behind (AFKs spawn behind the wall. If they try to run out and hide - push them in the lava and dont res them).

But it doesn't get any better than wreaking havoc with randoms:

1.gif
Oh blind matchmaking is perfectly fine for AF, CoO, the strike playlists, PoE/CoE, even Nightfalls at this point with the "boot-to-Orbit" threat gone and checkpoints.

Juuuust not raids.

There is. An in-game LFG tool.

I'm so inordinately sick of this concept; "it won't affect you so why would you care?"

Raid matchmaking would never impact me personally. I oppose it specifically as something that will only impact people who are not me.

In particular, people who may very well have their first experience with one of Destiny's raids in a blind matchmade scenario. What you want when you put together a raid in this particular game, both in terms of designing the raid from a dev perspective and putting a group together from a player perspective, is a compromise between enabling players to progress and finish successfully, and enjoy themselves/minimize stress. Every group that is formed for a raid in Destiny lies somewhere along this spectrum. Too little eustress and the group will never get anywhere; too much and the group will not have any fun no matter how "well" they do in terms of completing the content.

There's alot of ways they can 'matchmake' a raid. For example, WoWs version cuts up the raid-usually into 3-4 parts, with each part dealing with only a couple of bosses. For Destiny, they could separate each boss(Since there's what, only 4 for the latest raid?) and their previous area into a smaller 'strike' that gives out lesser gear(Compared to the regular raid), and people only have to deal with that one boss. Then for the next section of it, immediately start them at the end of that boss(Having had to complete it previously), and then let them move on to the next boss. Sprinkle out the releases of this "LFR" matchmaking throughout a month, so casual players are able to slowly dip their feet into it without being overwhelmed with everything at once. And because it's constrained to one section of the raid, that stress you talk about is relieve-it's not a huge ordeal to just do one boss. Nobody is going to get stressed out.

I have spent many hours at this point with players who are experiencing an individual Destiny raid for the first time, a Destiny raid of any kind for the first time, a raid in any game for the first time. I can tell you right now that a not-uncommon scenario for these players in a blind matchmade scenario would be:

-Load into the raid with no designated leader
-Throw themselves against the initial encounter without any coordination and little to no communication
-Fail to progress and say "fuck it" and leave after the onset novelty has worn off
-Come to the conclusion that "this is what Destiny raids are like" and swear off of them completely.

This may not make my experience playing Destiny any different. But it would make Destiny a worse game. I don't want anyone to have that kind of experience and I want the game to do everything it possibly can to avoid it, not make it more likely. It's about what is best for the game at all.

That's the issue more with console than the game itself. Again, if this game comes out on PC, I feel raids will be easier to get into and to complete, because you have more tools of communication then needing a mic that's compatible with your console, and then trying to communicate with randoms 'Hey I'd like to raid'. Looking for a raid will be as easy as loading into a tower, and then just spamming "LF Raid, I have 366 light, have experience with X bosses, whisper please'. If it comes out to PC, a matchmaking system will eventually make it's way to the raids. I'm willing to bet that is going to be a given. And your criticisms of seeing people say that stuff-saying "Fuck it" or coming to the conclusion that's all a raid is, again is restricted to consoles. Because the only way to really communicate on consoles is again, through a mic. And not everyone feels comfortable talking on a mic. Having options to communicate will alleviate, what you mentioned previously, this 'stress'. If I invite my friend into the raid, and he doesn't have a mic, he can easily type that he understands what the raid leader said.

So, with the rumor that it might come to PC, alot of the things you're worried about, would be alleviated with a text function. As for your worry that it'd make Destiny a worse experience-Bungie has tried their damndest to do that themselves. Again, I take ire with their PvE/PvP balancing. Whether someone enjoys a raid or not is the least of their worries. You say it's about what's best for the game, well, raid matchmaking would be at the bottom of the issues this game has.

If you want to argue that raid matchmaking is in fact good for the game, then so be it. But knock off this fallacious "it's never going to affect you, just let people do what they want" crap. For better or worse, I do care about the experience of players besides myself and that's WHY I don't want to see such a problematic idea become a reality.

And what about the people who don't have the time to form a group using a 3rd party site, dont' have friends to form a group, or simply wouldn't know what tools to use to form a group such as Reddit or NeoGAF, there is a subset of people that don't even experience the raid at all! And it's because a lack of in game tools, which either are hard to implement on console, or Bungie just doesn't want to.

The entire concept of a newbie raid for me is to try and provide a controlled environment where players who might have this experience if grouped randomly with one another )and only one another) can see what actually makes this content great, and enjoy themselves. These work because expectations are set in advance and the group has a clear leader; everyone who signs up knows what they are in for to at least a basic extent. This small measure of expectation makes all the difference in the world for content at this level.

However, groups without communities like our own should indeed have an in-game method by which to put together a group and attempt the raid with some hope for both fun and success. Rather than matchmaking, the solution to this problem is to implement an in-game fireteam finder/LFG tool.

Such a tool would enable one person (the fireteam leader) to create a group and set expectations for those who joined. This small differentiating factor would go an enormous length toward creating high-quality groups with absolutely no downside.

They could do that, implementing complex filtering and thus completely boxing out a massive portion of the players who would ostensibly benefit from matchmaking being added (those who have never raided before), or they could just add an in-game LFG tool.

That analogy sort of offends me but I'm basically done here anyway.

This part I agree with. There definitely needs to be an LFG tool inside the game. That is the bare minimum. As for the analogy, it just strikes me that people I see disagreeing with matchmaking because 'it'll make it worse' or 'the people matchmaking will think it sucks' when they have a comfy position in being able to get into a group any time just seems...like a hollow stance to have? So the analogy is fit, it's people complaining about something that they won't ever have to deal with nor will it affect them in anyway(you disliking that other people will have a worse experience than you do is such an odd stance...there are already people who have had a worse experience with PUGged groups, and who will continue having worse experiences with or without matchmaking.)

An in-game LFG tool has all of the upsides of raid matchmaking and none of the drawbacks. It allows players to form groups for a raid they want to attempt without needing to leave the game. It designates a clear leader for the group and enables that individual to set expecations, whether it be a low-risk low-stress raid accepting all comers, or a pro-grade speed clear needing max Light. It ensures that nightmare scenarios under blind matchmaking are nearly impossible, without needing to add complex lockout restrictions or requirements to be able to take advantage of the system.

And oh yeah, such a tool could also be used for Nightfalls, Crucible fireteams, special quest strikes, and so on and so on forever, all again without any of the downsides of adding raid matchmaking to the game.

I don't understand what I'm missing and why this is still at all controversial.

Again, the downsides you've mentioned come to the point of 'I don't want people to have bad experiences'. It's like..Bungie can create various tiers of difficulty. Have a dumbed down difficulty so that people can atleast EXPERIENCE the raid and get low level loot that looks like the gear from it. Then have the normal difficulty, then the hard difficulty, then have the challenge mode difficulty.

That's why tuning exists. Let people who dont' have the time to put aside for a designated time with a group of others, experience a dumbed down version of the raid piece by piece. Let them feel they're progressing by slowly unlocking this dumbed down experience week by week, when super casual players just don't play alot.

Like...I see where you're coming from when I ignore the fact that the raid can be dumbed down and made easier, with dumbed down rewards to compensate with that fact, and have it slowly unlock over the weeks. Yes, it would require more technical stuff on Bungies side, but once they do it, they get over that hump of 'Well we have to split up this raid and take out some mechanics' for future raids.

I want Bungie to rip the World Quest system from WoW. Patrol quests that give more substantial loot. Just....Bungie just needs to rip a bunch of things from WoW. Blizzard has done it with their games, where they take something and refine it for their own game. Bungie should do it. Because in making a game like Destiny, it's going to end up like that anywow.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285379

Kotaku article of the rumor. With a very big:
- They're very seriously considering leaving your characters/equipment/etc behind.
- The game is internally compared to Diablo 1 -> Diablo 2 in terms of the amount of changes they want to make.
- One of the new things mentioned that regions would be much more fleshed out with towns and outposts mixed directly in with playspaces.
- There's explanations of the reasonings for the above along with additional details on the items.
- There's talk about internal conditions and changes at Bungie.

Leaving your characters/equipment behind....hrm.

I'd be ok with this.

Reven

I just want to give a shout out to Hawkian for all he does to help out the new and non-hardore Destiny players, like posting that progression guide. Running through Crota's End for the first time with him a couple of months ago is one of the best experiences I've had with this game.

Also whats the deal with Discord? Do you guys all use the app on your phone and use it to find fireteams or what?

JJShadow

Really good day for me today, only played for 2.5 hours but finally managed to gain a couple of LLs and reached 370! I was quite lucky as I got a 370 artifact and a 371 ghost from one strike chest and faction package respectively, both things were holding me back a bit

And definitely Archons Forge is soooo much fun when you are in a group of 6-7 people. Played only for 30-40 minutes but we managed to beat like 8 offerings, including two perfected bosses. It was a festival of explosions, lightnings, tethers and engrams raining from above

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285379

Kotaku article of the rumor. With a very big:

Leaving your characters/equipment behind....hrm.

I'd be ok with this.

I think it's funny peope talking about not buying it if the characters don't carry over. Do they even play Destiny? I'd almost prefer it really. Though either way is fine with me.

Edit: GOTY 2017. It's going to be huuuuuuge. Like CoD/GTA huge I think. As long as they keep it addicting and have the same great gameplay.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just want to give a shout out to Hawkian for all he does to help out the new and non-hardore Destiny players, like posting that progression guide. Running through Crota's End for the first time with him a couple of months ago is one of the best experiences I've had with this game.
Thank you, seriously!

I'm looking forward to running Wrath of the Machine newbie raids more than any of the previous ones. I can't wait to have a handle on it and all the tools I need so I can get started.
Also whats the deal with Discord? Do you guys all use the app on your phone and use it to find fireteams or what?
There's an awesome web client and the phone app is excellent too. And yeah it's mostly for finding groups, talking about strategies and asking questions, and I guess discussing waffles

Burritoad

Hey guys, first time posting in this thread. I just LL365 last night with my warlock and was wondering if there are any open raid spots.

EDIT: Forgot to put that Im on PSN

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thank you for this. Especially the bolded part at the end. I feel like i'm losing something trying to catch up to everyone else. I'll definitely join your newbie raid group when you're ready and if i'm high enough LL by then.
:) I haven't settled on what the min light to bring people in will be, but just keep playing at your own pace and I'm sure you'll be able to join.

Top Bottom