• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

Eusis

Hit level 40 last night. Off a day or two for work and not having a good time frame for playing, but definitely want to get my Light Level up. It's 202 currently, is it best to polish up what content I haven't touched (I.E. Strikes and the odd mission) before really looking into more specific ways for best results? For that matter, how relevant IS advice for when Taken King launched compared to now?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So this popped up on my youtube feed. Ali A (biggest CoD youtuber 8 million subs) playing Destiny PvP shortly after launch.

No Shotguns, no snipers. Good medium range battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLd8lvkVRNA

Back when Destiny PvP used to be somewhat balanced.

Before it turned into first-person smash brothers where it's often less risky to simply run or jump at your opponent. (Or starting at each other across the map down sniper scopes).

milkham

is there some kind of bug with shax? i picked up the true meaning of war bounty from him and it auto-completed as i grabbed it, so i turned it in and it gave me a 335 revelator

is there some kind of bug with shax? i picked up the true meaning of war bounty from him and it auto-completed as i grabbed it, so i turned it in and it gave me a 335 revelator

Not a bug. You either completed Iron Banner bounties previously (which count) or completed your bounties last week. Shaxx is like a landlord - if you overpay he credits it to your next rent payment. :D

It remembers previous weekly bounties completed, including the Iron Banner weeklies, which count towards it. I don't know if it stacks further, but if you complete all five this week, it'll be done next week too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hit level 40 last night. Off a day or two for work and not having a good time frame for playing, but definitely want to get my Light Level up. It's 202 currently, is it best to polish up what content I haven't touched (I.E. Strikes and the odd mission) before really looking into more specific ways for best results? For that matter, how relevant IS advice for when Taken King launched compared to now?

just keep doing missions and you will keep getting XP and armor upgrades. Most TTK missions give you 220-300 weapons. Even ones after you finish the main quest. In the meantime the blue engram drops should get you to 280-300 pretty easily. i think heroic strikes unlock at 260 so if you are bored of doing SP missions, just start running the heroic strikes. they drop decent loot at the end of each strike.

once you hit 300, you can focus on playing heroic strikes, nightfall, CoE and leveling up your vanguard, crucible and factions. it will be slow but steady. be sure to pop a Three of coins before every boss.

milkham

Not a bug. You either completed Iron Banner bounties previously (which count) or completed your bounties last week. Shaxx is like a landlord - if you overpay he credits it to your next rent payment. :D

It remembers previous weekly bounties completed, including the Iron Banner weeklies, which count towards it. I don't know if it stacks further, but if you complete all five this week, it'll be done next week too.

good to know thanks, i've only recently gotten access to these

Arrrammis

I miss vanilla crucible :(

Agreed. I miss everyone using auto rifles, while I was proud to use Thorn ("It's so underpowered, and DoT sucks! Why are you using it?"). I tried telling and showing people that it is a two-shot kill, but nobody listened until the buffed it to 9 shorts per clip/mag/whatever a hand cannon has instead of 6, and then did they understand. Based on the rage which still persists here, they definitely understood ;). Everyone I ran into in crucible was using auto rifles and shotguns. Few snipers, no fusion rifles, despite fusion rifles being hilariously strong IMO. There was no weapon class that had a huge advantage overall over the others, just every weapon had its best range and auto rifles were easiest for new players to use.

Before it turned into first-person smash brothers where it's often less risky to simply run or jump at your opponent. (Or starting at each other across the map down sniper scopes).

I'm thinking of walking away from PvP for a while because I'm sick of shotguns. Like, when I watch MillGaming and he's raging at every scrub with a Universal Remote I'm not laughing, just nodding my head.

I nope'd outta there right away. Quit the party. Exited the game. Turned off the PS4. It literally killed my enjoyment of the game for a good few days. I know it was super petty for me to get so upset so fast but just being hit with such negativity right off the bat was just disheartening. I've had some good experiences online before but this was just cream of the crop the worst despite it lasting only a few seconds.

That's not petty at all. Why would you want to commit like 3 hours of your life listening to people like that?

In orbit join when ready, think ninja is on as well. Atlus got it done this morning so 1 free slot, maybe two if saurs doesn't turn up.

I've been playing this game an unhealthy amount lately so I'm taking a day off, but I hope you guys can get it done.

robo

Did that with me, if you have other characters it will also give it to them as well.

robo

Thanks to thaennon, slender. Nooblet. My obnoxious little one and ruthless for the golgaroth cm, pretty easy when ruthless tells you what to do. Lol

Yr 2 mot done. Thank f***

shermas

Taking my voidwalker for a spin in Mayhem to work on those Crucible quests.....

.... I didn't know I could get WORSE at PvP.

When you last place but still go positive:

ngB9Lid.gif

SlimySnake

I just found this Down and Doubt in my vault. it seems to have pretty decent damage but no one seems to be using it in PvP. is it because of the range?

Z6wfrzK.png

X-Frame

Agreed. I miss everyone using auto rifles, while I was proud to use Thorn ("It's so underpowered, and DoT sucks! Why are you using it?"). I tried telling and showing people that it is a two-shot kill, but nobody listened until the buffed it to 9 shorts per clip/mag/whatever a hand cannon has instead of 6, and then did they understand. Based on the rage which still persists here, they definitely understood ;). Everyone I ran into in crucible was using auto rifles and shotguns. Few snipers, no fusion rifles, despite fusion rifles being hilariously strong IMO. There was no weapon class that had a huge advantage overall over the others, just every weapon had its best range and auto rifles were easiest for new players to use.

Yup! Thorn was a 2-shot kill since launch but nobody could get over its poor reload and mag size. The fire rate was also slower I think? I can't remember what archetype it always was.

In any case when it was buffed that December 2014 it still flew under the radar until the Great Auto Rifle Death early the following year which nerfed AR's to obscurity.

It's crazy how powerful TLW, Hawkmoon, and Thorn were for months before most everyone realized it and of course before everyone had them.

I just found this Down and Doubt in my vault. it seems to have pretty decent damage but no one seems to be using it in PvP. is it because of the range?

Yes. For handcannons range is the most important stat since it affects damage drop-off and accuracy. I wouldn't use any handcannon that doesn't have rifled or reinforced barrel in PvP if I could avoid it.

stay gold

So this popped up on my youtube feed. Ali A (biggest CoD youtuber 8 million subs) playing Destiny PvP shortly after launch.

No Shotguns, no snipers. Good medium range battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLd8lvkVRNA

Back when Destiny PvP used to be somewhat balanced.

SBMM is the main difference between that video and crucible today. Everyone he's playing is garbage, if you make a new account thats still what it's like in your first few games, people using crappy auto rifles, blatantly not knowing what the radar means, not using special weapons, never sliding etc etc.

Nowadays if you're half way decent you're going to be matched against a full lobby of people who've been playing for 2 years, know all the meta weapons/subclasses, know how to read & manipulate the radar, know all the lanes/headglitches on the maps. Mix that with under-powered primaries and you get a slow, passive game with people leaning on OHK weapons .

stay gold

It's a high RoF hand cannon which all have low base range (bar Thorn) for some reason, & also require 2 crits and a body to kill, rather than 1 crit 2 body that the Eyasluna tier requires.

Thanks atlas. What else do you need?

Only Thalnok, when he shows up next week in Court of Oryx. Shouldn't be too tough, Golgoroth was the last major challenge standing in my way.

Taking my voidwalker for a spin in Mayhem to work on those Crucible quests.....

.... I didn't know I could get WORSE at PvP.

I don't think you can take anything away from a mayhem match. It's basically just a party game mode.

SlimySnake

Yup! Thorn was a 2-shot kill since launch but nobody could get over its poor reload and mag size. The fire rate was also slower I think? I can't remember what archetype it always was.

In any case when it was buffed that December 2014 it still flew under the radar until the Great Auto Rifle Death early the following year which nerfed AR's to obscurity.

It's crazy how powerful TLW, Hawkmoon, and Thorn were for months before most everyone realized it and of course before everyone had them.

Well they nerfed TLW. TLW has 8 range. 8. I have been trying to get the Chapperone quest done for a week now and am still stuck at 0% lol. I never had these weapons in year 1 and now they are all shit. Well, i still go positive with TLW so its not that bad but its not good enough to go on streaks.

SBMM is the main difference between that video and crucible today. Everyone he's playing is garbage, if you make a new account thats still what it's like in your first few games, people using crappy auto rifles, blatantly not knowing what the radar means, not using special weapons, never sliding etc etc.

Nowadays if you're half way decent you're going to be matched against a full lobby of people who've been playing for 2 years, know all the meta weapons/subclasses, know how to read & manipulate the radar, know all the lanes/headglitches on the maps. Mix that with under-powered primaries and you get a slow, passive game with people leaning on OHK weapons .
yeah, he was playing with idiots lol. But it was still an AR game back then. Now i get destroyed by Shotguns from crazy range. People just run through my bullets slide and one shot me with their party crashers. Hunters keep jumping around with Universal Remotes and shotgun me from above. Freaking warlocks with their crazy melee range. Its turned into those clusterfuck multiplayer games that is fun to play but rage inducing if you want to play it like a shooter.

shermas

I don't think you can take anything away from a mayhem match. It's basically just a party game mode.

True, I try not to care very much... It's still kind of amazing to watch my Nova bombs sail into a wall or watch someone jump over them or watch them float off into the distance...

I did the melee part of the void quest quickly... Charging and hip firing with an AR, then finishing with a melee seemed to work okay. I think I had a .28 match along the way, though.

What's the most powerful void grenade? I never use this class, PvP or PvE. I need 20 grenade kills now.

SlimySnake

Axion Bolts & make sure you're using the Vortex Mastery perk to double the tracking time. Easy kills.

there is a scatter grenade guantlet that grants you scatter grenade tracking and an extra scatter grenade. couple that with energy drain perks and catapult you will have unlimited grenades as long as you are killing things. its like radiance, only it lasts the entire strike lol.

shermas

Rise of Iron is still greyed out on the Xbox store for me... Anyone else still unable to pre-order?

I even tried to go thru Bungie's site, which switched me to the MS site and it was greyed out.

MrDaravon

Any Golg CM groups happening tonight on PS4? Need that one, I haven't done the raid since last year but pretty sure I remember all the mechanics, if anyone runs it or has a spot and is willing to refresh me on it let me know. Probably gonna hop over to RE4 in the meantime.

Rise of Iron is still greyed out on the Xbox store for me... Anyone else still unable to pre-order?

I even tried to go thru Bungie's site, which switched me to the MS site and it was greyed out.

I was finally able to pre-order through the main Microsoft store website. It was really weird. The Xbox store seemed to think that I didn't have the Taken King and that's why I couldn't pre-order, but the Microsoft Store showed The Taken King as purchased, so I was able to pre-order.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45135/7_This-Week-At-Bungie---09012016
Starting 8th of September only one free Sterling Treasure per week until it goes away with RoI altogether.
Damn, my titan's missing three desolate pieces (warlock & hunter sets are complete). I hoped to get them all without spending silver...

Edit: Might have misread. With RoI eververse will not sell Sterling Treasures anymore, but perhaps you can still get that one per week via PoE 41?

Any Golg CM groups happening tonight on PS4? Need that one, I haven't done the raid since last year but pretty sure I remember all the mechanics, if anyone runs it or has a spot and is willing to refresh me on it let me know. Probably gonna hop over to RE4 in the meantime.

I'm looking for Golg CM checkpoint as well. Anybody have one?

oSoLucky

I'm planning to get a group together tonight, and if not tonight then definitely tomorrow.

FyreWulff

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45135/7_This-Week-At-Bungie---09012016
Starting 8th of September only one free Sterling Treasure per week until it goes away with RoI altogether.
Damn, my titan's missing three desolate pieces (warlock & hunter sets are complete). I hoped to get them all without spending silver...

Edit: Might have misread. With RoI eververse will not sell Sterling Treasures anymore, but perhaps you can still get that one per week via PoE 41?

Yeah. it looks like they're just changing the name of the Treasures for each expansion to make it clear what they'll drop.

So STs will no longer be buyable, will only drop Taken Spring gear, and you can only get one per week (and might still be the only way to get chroma?)

Radiant Treasure will be obtainable via something in RoI likely, and contains the Ornaments.

Yeah. it looks like they're just changing the name of the Treasures for each expansion to make it clear what they'll drop.

So STs will no longer be buyable, will only drop Taken Spring gear, and you can only get one per week (and might still be the only way to get chroma?)

Radiant Treasure will be obtainable via something in RoI likely, and contains the Ornaments.

I believe Eva Levante will be selling chroma in RoI.

milkham

reposting
will do golgoroth cm tonight at 11pm eastern. I only have the normal checkpoint.
if you just need the calcified fragment normal should be fine

1. milkham
2. milkham's friend
3. ruthless probably

shermas

I was finally able to pre-order through the main Microsoft store website. It was really weird. The Xbox store seemed to think that I didn't have the Taken King and that's why I couldn't pre-order, but the Microsoft Store showed The Taken King as purchased, so I was able to pre-order.

I signed out of my account, logged in with my kid's MS account, then back in with mine and was finally able to pre-order at that point. Really weird, but whatever. It's finally pre-ordered. HYPE.

anyone want to help with Golg NM? I'm having a hard time explaining and we need some knowledge =(

*pulls out hair*

It's mostly my fault for being a poor guide

Dalek

Is it me or are Gunslinger grenades just bad? I tried using them in COE with my hunter, who I'm still getting used to, but they just don't seem to do any damage.

Top Bottom