• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

People play TDM in salvage because say your team captures the probe, the other team just needs to wipe your team and disable the probe getting them the most points to win. It's easier to disable the probe then capturing and defending it.

In Objective modes you should only get score if you do the objective, Kills still equaling points no matter the mode (I think they made a variant of control without this at somepoint?) is one of the things I dislike the most about Destiny PvP.

....that and I honestly don't think Destiny's shooting feels good in PvP for some reason but that's for another day lol

This actually has me considering not buying Rise of Iron. :

Ive not bought a sibgle sterling treasure. I dont go out of my way to play content just to get the freebies. Ive not used chroma. I would like the ships and sparrow but not enough to spend money.

As F2P mechanics go Bungie are still on the side that you can ignore it without it impacting your ability to do anything. Odds are RoI will be the same. I am not all that bothered about ornaments so the radiant treasures will probably just end up collecting dust like chroma.

You could still enjoy the RoI content without touching the f2p stuff. But its up to you. The content is the content.

This actually has me considering not buying Rise of Iron. :\

Hrm.

I'd feel the same way, but it seems this time around you only get really cosmetic stuff. Yeah, it's a shame that they're tying F2P mechanics to 'hook' players instead of letting the game stand on its own, but...it seems to be the reality of many multiplayer games these days.

GhaleonEB

Ive not bought a sibgle sterling treasure. I dont go out of my way to play content just to get the freebies. Ive not used chroma. I would like the ships and sparrow but not enough to spend money.

As F2P mechanics go Bungie are still on the side that you can ignore it without it impacting your ability to do anything. Odds are RoI will be the same. I am not all that bothered about ornaments so the radiant treasures will probably just end up collecting dust like chroma.

You could still enjoy the RoI content without touching the f2p stuff. But its up to you. The content is the content.

While cosmetic, what they did to chroma really bothered me, as it was a cool feature butchered for the monetization. It if was just regular shaders, some free and some premium, I'd have bought some. But they way they implemented it affected the entire feature. Cosmetic, true, but woven into the game as nothing to that point had been. It was harder for me to ignore.

When the April update came out, I opened my sterling treasure and then deleted everything inside it, deciding I was going to ignore them, as well. But it just bothered me a lot. I tell my kids any game offering free stuff weekly and charging more should be avoided, as it's such a blatant warning for the game design. And then Destiny does it.

We'll see. Really, it's the sandbox that needs updating. And I probably will get RoI regardless, if to just play the missions and strikes. But I'm really sad at the direction the game has taken with the F2P stuff.

Kalamari

I think they will be incrementally pushing the limits of microtransactions, it's probably what Activision wants them to do. Sooner or later, I expect to see silver used for rerolling weapons. I think that;s pretty far off though, once they feel they have a handle on weapon balance.

darthbob

While cosmetic, what they did to chroma really bothered me, as it was a cool feature butchered for the monetization. It if was just regular shaders, some free and some premium, I'd have bought some. But they way they implemented it affected the entire feature. Cosmetic, true, but woven into the game as nothing to that point had been. It was harder for me to ignore.

When the April update came out, I opened my sterling treasure and then deleted everything inside it, deciding I was going to ignore them, as well. But it just bothered me a lot. I tell my kids any game offering free stuff weekly and charging more should be avoided, as it's such a blatant warning for the game design. And then Destiny does it.

We'll see. Really, it's the sandbox that needs updating. And I probably will get RoI regardless, if to just play the missions and strikes. But I'm really sad at the direction the game has taken with the F2P stuff.

I agree with your concerns about the monetization of cosmetic items and how woven into the game it is. While I'll admit that when Sterling packages first came out I ended up buying $10 worth of silver, opened a handful of boxes and immediately got a full set of Desolate gear, and then ending up regretting that decision as it made the free, doled out, Sterling treasures feel truly worthless as I already had a full set of the gear that was dropping from it.

With Radiant packages I'm gonna have to avoid them and just receive them normally and freely, once per week, slowly building that collection of ornaments.

also destiny is hardly a F2P game, my PS+ sub is essentially my destiny sub :lol

JJShadow

Nice - two slots open for KF NM:

1) raindoc, LL311, 1 clear, no clue (and a shitty mic)
2) throwawayname
3) SuperSonic
4) AEREC
5)
6)

I'd like to join as well as long as we are done by 21:30 UTC+1. No mic available but I already cleared it once, so I know more or less what to do, I'll just follow orders from the most experienced ones

V1ctIm

Neo Member
I think they will be incrementally pushing the limits of microtransactions, it's probably what Activision wants them to do. Sooner or later, I expect to see silver used for rerolling weapons. I think that;s pretty far off though, once they feel they have a handle on weapon balance.
I would be incredibly surprised if they started charging money for anything that affects gameplay in any meaningful way. They have gone out of their way thus far to impress upon their audience that nothing you can buy will affect gameplay. Rerolling weapons for cash would cross that line that they have been exceedingly concerned with not crossing. This isn't a mobile game so I never expect to see a pay-to-win strategy coming into play. I hope I'm right.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The cosmetic, microtransaction part of the game has always felt incredibly small and forgettable to me. It feels separated from the main game. It's there for people who are interested in such things, but I feel like I'm missing nothing by completely ignoring it.

raindoc

I'd like to join as well as long as we are done by 21:30 UTC+1. No mic available but I already cleared it once, so I know more or less what to do, I'll just follow orders from the most experienced ones

I'd like to start ASAP too

2) throwawayname
3) SuperSonic
4) AEREC
5) mcarkus
6) JJShadow

Hopefully we're full. I'll be online in a min.
EDIT: psn id = raindoc

Well, finally... I did it. Got the Ghost Hunter trophy and then this little thing popped up:

393goPL.jpg

Which meeeeeeeeeeans:

1vMAkBq.jpg

1xQhxM3.gif

AEREC

I'd like to start ASAP too

2) throwawayname
3) SuperSonic
4) AEREC
5) mcarkus
6) JJShadow

Hopefully we're full. I'll be online in a min.
EDIT: psn id = raindoc

I'm on now and ready to go...never done KF before.

PSN: AEREC

Completely get where you are coming from. But from a business side I can see the earning potential there that will hopefully pay for more content and frequent updates. Its a very very fine line to tread. But as soon as it becomes pay to win then i'm out.

Silver dust, perhaps.

Lol!

raindoc

throwaway, mcarkus & me are online. sent a fr to AEREC. JJ is in my friendslist, but I dunno which SuperSonic is ours.

EDIT: who want's to host? my LTE is acting up when it rains, like now.

Rahvar

Anyone up for Trials, Either boosting me or just having fun (dubious) and doing bounties. Or doing a CoE card?

PSN: Thaennon

I thought I heard that sterling treasures were gone forever?

From what I understand, Sterling Treasure will be available only from PoE 41 from the 8th September update and onwards.

In the GameInformer show interview with Chris Barrett and Scott Taylor, they said Chroma will be staying, from faction rank up packages the 3 options are Armour, Weapons, and Chroma Gear.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Deafmedal and I are bored outta our minds. Anyone want to run a raid? (we don't really care what, or difficulty)

1. HaRyu
2. deafmedal1

EDIT: Doh, PS4/PSN.

JonnyKong

So I just went on the game for the first time in a year and I think I've got my head around it all again. It certainly feels alien coming back to the game after a long break. There's loads of new items I've never heard of before and no idea how to go about finding them.

I've just completed all the House of Wolves dlc. One thing I've noticed that I'm confused about is that I seem to be getting green gear which has higher defence than my exotic gear, Wtf is that about?

shingi70

Banned
So I just went on the game for the first time in a year and I think I've got my head around it all again. It certainly feels alien coming back to the game after a long break. There's loads of new items I've never heard of before and no idea how to go about finding them.

I've just completed all the House of Wolves dlc. One thing I've noticed that I'm confused about is that I seem to be getting green gear which has higher defence than my exotic gear, Wtf is that about?

When Taken King launched there were a ton of green and blues which had higher light levels compared to the legendary and ezotix year one items.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Noob here, im in (kings fall?)
How's your gear/light level?

Wouldn't mind farming Crota's End HM for a crux if anyone's interested, but I'm down for anything. PSN: Ninja_Kn1ght
You can run with me and deafmedal if you'd like. We're still debating what we want to do.

---
Current team (we added one guy from our friend list):
1. HaRyu
2. deafmedal
3. uberllama

Again, we're pretty much up to running anything. Multiple things possibly.

You can run with me and deafmedal if you'd like. We're still debating what we want to do.

---
1. HaRyu
2. deafmedal
3. uberllama

Sounds good! Just gonna run a quick trials card first.

Dibbs

---
1. HaRyu
2. deafmedal
3. uberllama

LL 304

Top Bottom