• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I can't wait to get my hands on the PS4 Pro.
Though, to be fair, I just took the plunge and got a 4K TV as well (Netflix is awesome).
I do hope that Bungie will make Pro improvements for Rise of Iron, not just wait for D2.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I hope Destiny 2 takes advantage of these newer consoles. It might make people jump ship to the scorpio if certain things are an indication. Of course bring it to PC and call it a day.

I don't understand how these companies can be overly successful and then screw up right after. Nintendo, MS, Sony, Apple, Samsung, etc, they are all prone to this.

Robotziane

Neo Member
During the afternoon/evening on the weekend ever a possibility? Would mean people around during the day in North America could join.

Tonight probably (there's nothing else to life besides Destiny, right?)! Oblivionmancer is "the other dude" and he might see this.

Yeah sure, as long as I had a heads up that would be fine.

NeOak

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I can't wait to get my hands on the PS4 Pro.
Though, to be fair, I just took the plunge and got a 4K TV as well (Netflix is awesome).
I do hope that Bungie will make Pro improvements for Rise of Iron, not just wait for D2.

I hope you're planning to buy a XBO S to for 4K UHD BD playback.

I hope Destiny 2 takes advantage of these newer consoles. It might make people jump ship to the scorpio if certain things are an indication. Of course bring it to PC and call it a day.

I don't understand how these companies can be overly successful and then screw up right after. Nintendo, MS, Sony, Apple, Samsung, etc, they are all prone to this.

and leave everything behind? Maybe when they announce what will go forward, but for now, I have to say no to jumping from PS4 to Scorpio.

Frostburn

If Destiny were to have some advantage on the PS4 Pro I would buy it, other than that I'll just stick with my normal console for now until I get a slick 4K UHDR TV.

Arrrammis

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/773620695532273665

rlY0dDJ.png

RIP the 60 FPS Destiny dream. There goes my only reason to get the console. 4k looks neat, but honestly without a framerate boost, I can't justify $400.

I hope you're planning to buy a XBO S to for 4K UHD BD playback.

Yeah, that's a dumb decision by Sony, but... I haven't bought a Blu-Ray disk since I realised I buy them and leave them on the shelf to collect dust without bothering to watch most of them even once.

Yes, that is baffling.

What "certain things" are you referring to?

And yeah, if Scorpio boasts better specs than PS4 Pro and Bungie also offers Xbox<>PS account imports for Destiny 2 (which they'd be wise to do), no reason to stick with Sony (unless they have exclusive content again).

All these new consoles are going to be held back by the current ones. PVP will be standardised between the ps4 and pro, and the xbox one and scorpio.

I am really struggling to see the relevance of pro and scorpio for exsting games, and future games will look prettier and perform better but if there is a multiplayer aspect then lowest performing platform will set standard.

All these new consoles are going to be held back by the current ones. PVP will be standardised between the ps4 and pro, and the xbox one and scorpio.

I am really struggling to see the relevance of pro and scorpio for exsting games, and future games will look prettier and perform better but if there is a multiplayer aspect then lowest performing platform will set standard.

If Destiny 2, or at the very least its multiplayer would be 60 fps across the board from the get-go, then the new consoles could just make it prettier and the old ones would not hold it back that much, i guess?

I, for one, am excited that Sony came out with underwhelming specs and Microsoft has been in it to win it lately. I'm still holding out hope that Scorpio will enhance Destiny in some way in the future.

I play games on both consoles but I happen to play my favorite game on Xbox One :)

Arrrammis

I am curious about the wording for the "multiplayer games" though. Do they mean only the PvP multiplayer, or all multiplayer, meaning literally all of Destiny? You are with someone else (or can be with someone else) in every moment of the game except for 3: the very first mission, cinematics, and your third subclass quest. If they mean ALL multiplayer, then 60fps on Destiny is completely dead.

What "certain things" are you referring to?

And yeah, if Scorpio boasts better specs than PS4 Pro and Bungie also offers Xbox<>PS account imports for Destiny 2 (which they'd be wise to do), no reason to stick with Sony (unless they have exclusive content again).
You do realize that the majority of gamers aren't willing to buy a whole new console, right?

You assume everyone is buying the upgraded versions, when really, only 1% of gamers will probably buy them.

And this is assuming either of them are worth a shit.

If Destiny 2, or at the very least its multiplayer would be 60 fps across the board from the get-go, then the new consoles could just make it prettier and the old ones would not hold it back that much, i guess?

There is no way the current consoles can hit a solid 60fps without massive compromises made elsewhere. If you play multiplayer on current console and hit constant dips in framerate you will lose vs a pro or scorpion owner who isnt getting those dips. That stuff added into the already bad netcode isnt going to be pretty. Then if you go the route of ps4 v ps4, pro v pro, xbox one v xbox one, scorpio v scorpio you are splitting userbases.

The only case i can see for the customer benefiting from these half step consoles is in single player games.

Personally i would love destiny to run at 1080p/60fps but i cant see devs spending that much extra effort on ports for them until the install base is up there. Till then its going to be a standard upscale.

I will be happy to be proven wrong but i think this is a mis-step by sony. MS on the other hand have nothing to lose by putting the scorpio out.

@Lamonster - i think fyrewolf was saying that ps4 account to scorpio would never happen. And i have to say he is right. Sony would actively pay to not allow this to happen.

chur

I am curious about the wording for the "multiplayer games" though. Do they mean only the PvP multiplayer, or all multiplayer, meaning literally all of Destiny? You are with someone else (or can be with someone else) in every moment of the game except for 3: the very first mission, cinematics, and your third subclass quest. If they mean ALL multiplayer, then 60fps on Destiny is completely dead.
It's already dead. I don't see Bungie doing 60fps crucible. They already said they liked the game to feel the same regardless of what mode you're playing. It's the reason why they don't balance PvE/PvP separately.

todd360

I, for one, am excited that Sony came out with underwhelming specs and Microsoft has been in it to win it lately. I'm still holding out hope that Scorpio will enhance Destiny in some way in the future.

I play games on both consoles but I happen to play my favorite game on Xbox One :)

Sony would be dumb to pay for console exclusive content, but allow the scorpio version of the game to look better than the ps4 version. Destiny 2 will be out around the time scorpio comes out anyways right? So it doesn't really matter for Destiny 1.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Pro. There's not much for Destiny, but almost all of the games I'm buying this year are seeing some kind of upgrade. That's not including the older games that are getting a boost.

I'm a sucker.

TyrantII

Wow Sony really fucked up that reveal. No mention of 60 fps anywhere.

VGDave said Sony is saying they won't allow differences in FPS between OG and Pro modes in Multiplayer.

Pretty much wipes out my number 1 wish for the NEO.

It's such a wierd reveal. They're so tight lipped on how this will make OG games better performance and fidelity wise. Zero mention of how this fits into PSVR (for a very obvious reason). Instead pushed 4K/HDR.. To a market a long time away from Mass adoption.

Oh well, my dream for Destiny 60FPS just took a Faceplant.

It's already dead. I don't see Bungie doing 60fps crucible. They already said they liked the game to feel the same regardless of what mode you're playing. It's the reason why they don't balance PvE/PvP separately.
Exactly. Don't hold your breath for 60fps. It doesn't fit with what Bungie is doing.

Even when next gen (~2019/2020) hits, Destiny 3 will be most likely be playable on the current (PS4/Xbox One) machines.

shermas

This is the only game I've ever played where HYPE has crept in because of an eight hour maintainence patch... ROI is getting closer. HYPE.

Any guardians willing to help with the NF? I've had this quest forever and just want that icon to go away at this point. I'm L307, so I hope that isn't too much of a drain

PSN: geneticfoil

As much as I would like Destiny to be 60 fps I don't know what anyone was expecting. When was the last time Bungie ever had a 60fps console game? And do you really think they'd allow for different framerates depending on your model of ps4? Early on they talked about not letting last and current gen players play together because of the next gen advantage and there wasn't even a difference in frame rate there.

FyreWulff

As much as I would like Destiny to be 60 fps I don't know what anyone was expecting. When was the last time Bungie ever had a 60fps console game? And do you really think they'd allow for different framerates depending on your model of ps4? Early on they talked about not letting last and current gen players play together because of the next gen advantage and there wasn't even a difference in frame rate there.

Yep. Bungie hasn't shipped a 60FPS console game, and there's been 60FPS games on every console gen they've been on consoles.

Even Oni PS2 didn't have steady 60fps max, it was always jumping up and down.

The only 60FPS versions of their console games have always been done by other developers. And even Halo 1 PC has an issue where everything still animates at 30.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I'm thinking of buying a Pro, but that's because I want VR. I don't see 60fps Destiny until Destiny 2. That's just the reality.

I hate when Destiny maintenance coincides with a day off.

#firstworldproblems

What am I going to do? Play the Division? Dust off the Wii U?

Maybe I'll go outside...

SnakeEyes

Banned

#firstworldproblems

Maybe I'll go outside...
Read a book, listen to music, go see a movie.

Don't play The Division. Don't dust off the Wii U.

shermas

#firstworldproblems

Maybe I'll go outside...

Anything but the Division. I took it for a spin a couple weeks ago after a long break and it was awful. DZ was insta-death, kept getting kicked from matchmaking bc I was under geared (I wasnt). Bad loot drops.

I ran back to Destiny. I've been Borderlands as a break...pretty fun.

Top Bottom