• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT42| Embrace the Not-Knowing

rezn0r

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Alright well I started in on the beers, just ordered a pile of food, and have money on Denver (I'm a filthy Pats fan so I was torn). Possibly just plan on playing tomorrow.

To those that asked about checkpoints - FR & message me on PSN, I'll be watching the app - if the maintenance didn't erase them and I don't pass out from drinking I'll hop and and get the CP to you

His eyasaluna has rangefinder and he's not even that far away.
Ah, I didn't know he had Rangefinder. Must have missed when he mentioned it in the clip. That said, the shots he's taking look like mid range to me.
I don't think they are introducing a new archetype but rather rolling weapons in the First Curse class with higher base ranges.

As for your first point, I have a couple issues. Firstly the ranges tested were short range, not mid to long range. Any shorter would have been broaching shotgun range.
Oh is that what they meant? Interesting. Looking forward to trying out these new HCs since I'm a fan of the First Curse.

As for the second part, as I said above, I don't agree that the range he was testing was considered short range at all.
OwAnb0x.jpg

However pulses don't seem to suffer from phantom bullets The biggest issue is the idea that bloom could even come into play firing that slowly. It is completely unreasonable to expect anyone to fire that slow and still miss shots on target or have them register wrong.
It's because HCs have the highest Impact in the game, no? Pulses don't, so they suffer from far less bloom.

Guys, I get it. To reiterate: I have a similar roll on my Eyasluna. It sucks to see your bullet miss when it was clearly aimed at their head. But these HCs are not ideal for mid-to-long range combat - simply close the distance for more reliable kills.
I just don't think it's something that needs "fixing". Maybe they can improve the reticle when ADS to communicate the bloom better, but that's about all the "fixing" I think it needs. Without bloom, it would be back to the days of Year 1 Hawkmoon dominating everything, including snipers. Is that really what you guys want?
I do miss outsniping snipers with my Hawkmoon, though...

Edit: Another 2 hours? Argh. Guess I'll go for a run with the dog.

I'd rather have Hawkmoon ranges than RNG in my gun.

Also, those guns are supposed to compete at mid range, that's what Bungie built them for, they even said it themselves lol.

Kalamari

I think the intended range for HC is less than that of Pulses. It's my understanding that HC and AR have roughly the same intended range.

There is seriously no reason bloom should be in the game.

If Bungie is going to say they don't balance PVE and PVP differently because they want consistency, then bloom needs to go because bloom is the exact opposite of consistency and makes HCs complete luck of the draw, which should not be in any shooter, ever.

No specifics were mentioned, but here's the GI interview that was done if you wanna watch it.

That EuroTrash internet, huh? Can't you get one of your kids to turn your console on and delete stuff to free up space?

Hoy, i pay the equivalent of a small African nation GDP to Virgin Media for 120 down and 3 up.
My life would not be worth living if i was to call home at midnight (01.50 am now) and ask my wife to wake them up. I reckon i would not have a PS4 anymore, and would be sleeping with the dog for the considerable future...and as lovely as the dog is...🤔

Aniwhay, reading about the maintenance extension time, who needs PSN to go down for a miserable time? We got Bungie replacing them at the moment 😂

darthbob

If Bungie is going to say they don't balance PVE and PVP differently because they want consistency, then bloom needs to go because bloom is the exact opposite of consistency and makes HCs complete luck of the draw, which should not be in any shooter, ever.

No no no, see you need to understand Bungie's line of thinking. Consistent inconsistencies still provide a consistent experience.

Oh is that what they meant? Interesting. Looking forward to trying out these new HCs since I'm a fan of the First Curse.

It's because HCs have the highest Impact in the game, no? Pulses don't, so they suffer from far less bloom.

That's how I interpreted it at least.

I don't believe impact has an affect on bloom but I could easily be wrong. At 2.22 when he is testing the low impact auto rifle shots are still disappearing despite slow pacing and having the reticle on target.

It just is bad design imo. Damage falloff should be what keeps you in your proper engagement range, not rng accuracy. Accuracy should be about thumb-skill and recoil management. Shots should go where your reticle is 97% of the time.

X-Frame

I wonder if it would be a coding nightmare to remove Bloom at this point. They added it during The Dark Below, right? That was when I believe the first patch or hot-fix was pushed that started to make HC's inaccurate after multiple shots.

I wonder if it would be a coding nightmare to remove Bloom at this point. They added it during The Dark Below, right? That was when I believe the first patch or hot-fix was pushed that started to make HC's inaccurate after multiple shots.
If Bungie doesn't want to do it because it's hard, then they're just lazy. There is no reason this should be a feature.

Mindlog

But just about every patch sees PvE bonus damage
j0DjMcD.png

nowai

As for the second part, as I said above, I don't agree that the range he was testing was considered short range at all.
OwAnb0x.jpg

YOU personally may not consider the range he was testing to be "short range", but that fact of the matter is that he is head shot critting for 82 damage.

On an 81 impact hand cannon, that's the game telling you "you are in the correct range for this gun". The damage would be 60-70 if he was outside of it's range. He is standing at the range that Bungie themselves show in game to be the correct range for full damage, yet he still gets RNG ghost bullets.

If they want to make the range even shorter, FINE. Make it shorter, but if they do that, then when I hit an 82 head shot, it should hit every time.

Ah, I didn't know he had Rangefinder. Must have missed when he mentioned it in the clip. That said, the shots he's taking look like mid range to me.

OwAnb0x.jpg

Guys, I get it. To reiterate: I have a similar roll on my Eyasluna. It sucks to see your bullet miss when it was clearly aimed at their head. But these HCs are not ideal for mid-to-long range combat - simply close the distance for more reliable kills.
I just don't think it's something that needs "fixing". Maybe they can improve the reticle when ADS to communicate the bloom better, but that's about all the "fixing" I think it needs. Without bloom, it would be back to the days of Year 1 Hawkmoon dominating everything, including snipers. Is that really what you guys want?
I do miss outsniping snipers with my Hawkmoon, though...

Edit: Another 2 hours? Argh. Guess I'll go for a run with the dog.

Your definition of short range, mid range and long range is interesting to say the least. Thats all I'm gonna say. Just know that I'm pretty sure you are alone in this thinking on this thread. I will be surprised if theres someone else that agrees with you here.

Thats not "mid to long range".

darthbob

BWU: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45188/7_This-Week-At-Bungie---09082016

Not too much stuff, but there's this and some achievements for RoI.

DESTINY UPDATE 2.4.0 KNOWN ISSUES

Destiny Update 2.4.0 is now available to download on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles. The following is a list of known issues that we are actively tracking:
Clan Rosters are currently offline. Players will see the new “Clan” column on the Roster page, but no clan members will appear. Additionally, Clan tags will not be available while this feature is offline. Announcement of availability will be made through @BungieHelp at a later date.
Players are currently unable to retrieve the MIDA Multitool, Patience and Time, or Dragon’s Breath Exotic Weapons from the Exotic Weapon Collection.
The “Quest Tracking” feature is not currently functioning for Crucible Quests, or any Quest Steps that involve activities on Earth or Mars.
When players attempt to inspect Faction Reputation Packages from either Eris Morn or Petra Venj, there will be no items displayed within the preview screen. Players will continue to receive rewards from these packages once collected.
The “Iron Shell” Ghost Shell is currently appearing with the wrong color scheme. While the Ghost Shell appears Green on the item Icon, it appears as the default Ghost color in-game and in preview screens.

Additionally, Destiny Update 2.4.0 contains a potential fix for an issue where players were unable to join Fireteams with other players on Local Networks. If you continue to experience this issue, or encounter any other issues after accepting the update, please let us know by posting a thread in the #Help forum or visiting our pinned 2.4.0 Known Issues Thread.

Here's a couple choice quotes from previous weapon tuning patches that I believe to be relevant in the Phantom bullet discussion.

It is our intention to reduce the necessity of rolling range perks on Hand Cannons in order for them to be considered usable.

Hand Cannons are optimal at close to medium range

Rewards agility under fire, precision targeting, and snap shots

I think on both fronts they have failed to meet their goals. A HC without rifled or reinforced is useless as things stand now. The video showed close to mid range shooting at slow pace with precision targeting yet bullets still disappeared.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Hoy, i pay the equivalent of a small African nation GDP to Virgin Media for 120 down and 3 up.
My life would not be worth living if i was to call home at midnight (01.50 am now) and ask my wife to wake them up. I reckon i would not have a PS4 anymore, and would be sleeping with the dog for the considerable future...and as lovely as the dog is...🤔

Aniwhay, reading about the maintenance extension time, who needs PSN to go down for a miserable time? We got Bungie replacing them at the moment 😂
Oi vay, that's bad! R.I.P.

At least I can call my wife to turn my console on at 4pm and let it do its thing.

jondabomb

Is there any way to purchase a digital copy of the standalone game without the expansions still? I want to buy a digital copy so I don't need the disc anymore, but it doesn't seem like you can buy anything besides rise of iron of Destiny collection on the psn store.

Watching that video just makes me shake my head...
Going through some of my old Alpha gameplay makes me miss year 1 a lot.

Even as a PvE focused player the frustration I felt in Year 2 from knowing that the shot I just landed should of been a crit but instead hitting the wall behind my target was enough to put HC's down altogether.
They went from my being favourite primary to being the least used in Year 2.
Just get rid of bloom & make HC's consistent again. (Also bring back the original tripmines!)

Wait, they basically nixed Universal Remote, somehow didn't nerf my beautiful Hawksaw (and next Arms Day has not one but two PDXs? EXCITE!), & buffed high RoF machine guns so my lovely Super Good Advice can Machine Lord people even more?

BEST UPDATE THANK YOU

legendary shotguns needed nerfing bad, but it will come. I have faith.

X-Frame

Seriously that bloom video frustrates me. How can Bungie expect people to put down their shotguns and sniper rifles if Primary weapons can't even reliably hit someone within their intended ranges?

I know we have been asking for Primary weapon buffs for a while but if they just removed bloom altogether I wonder how much that would improve Primary gunplay.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Another two hours??? This is unacceptable bungie. I work all day and all i want to do when i come home is to unwind, play Destiny would i ignore my wife and kid.

Now i have to spend time with them. Thanks bungie!

Another two hours??? This is unacceptable bungie. I work all day and all i want to do when i come home is to unwind, play Destiny would i ignore my wife and kid.

Now i have to spend time with them. Thanks bungie!

Lmao!

"We love you Daddy!" "Leave me alone! I gotta get my gjallahorn!"

:)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It still amazes me to this day that they didn't take the easiest and most direct route to changing HCs. That tripleWreck video is damning.

kakashi08

Sorry no one answered it's an exciting time today.

the game is very much worth it at this point if you're starting over (it'll be a long trek to the top unless you use level boosters though). we have a great community here with a vast amount of knowledge and a readiness to help newbies in need. if you decide you want to play again you're in for a treat

update at 60%, it stopped in the middle, i thought it was done last night, but apparently not.
But yea, can't wait to start again.

friday

I know I have't been on much in the last week or so, but I am so excited for RoI!

I did't get Destiny till a week or two after the TTK launch, so I am glad to be there on day 1.

Top Bottom