• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Biggy

What are the trials map prediction for this week? I hope it's either Widow's Court or Burning Shrine, but it will most likely be one of the new maps again.

X65KxV.gif

Just being slightly pedantic :) - you don't need to dismantle the old gear, if you get an old hawkmoon as a drop then you should be able to get a "new" hawkmoon from the exotic printing machine straight away.

Dismantling the old one would of course give you a shard, which you could use to help get the new one...but it's not necessary. I *think* if you get an old one you DO have to use legendary marks to unlock the new one.

Bungie designed it that way at the start of TTK, as legendary marks were a new currency and people didn't have very many. They locked a lot of gear at "new" light levels behind that currency to stop people progressing too quickly.

No, you're absolutely right. I looked it up shortly after posting and found the mechanic for discovery being what was needed, not dismantling. Thanks for fact checking me!

LiK

Zhalo saved this game for me. I love using it in PVE and PVP. I'm glad I decided to stick with it during my Strike grinding and using it in PVP. It's also great in the raid.

PuMa

What are the trials map prediction for this week? I hope it's either Widow's Court or Burning Shrine, but it will most likely be one of the new maps again.

Anything is better than Last Exit. Floating Gardens could be good. Skyline also.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You're playing IB, I assume? The first several games of Supremacy I played when RoI launches really enjoyed. However, after playing it through IB I've come to the decision that IMO it really is the worst of Destiny PvP. It shares all the bad things that I don't like about the game's PvP (there is a ton I do like). These include:

-Over-reliance on secondaries
-God-rolled shotguns being a near-necessity
-Super generation being way too high between kills, crests, orbs (I had a match yesterday where near the halfway point I died to supers 11 times in a row)
-Disastrous, inconsistent spawns
-Uncompetitive matches
-And of course lag

Pretty much all this. All of its problems are amplified in the shitty supremacy game mode, sure, but a lot of these issues have been around since forever.

At least it's easy loot ;)

I thought we already came to the conclusion that Destiny PvP is bad two years ago.

The pvp is great. It's the lag that makes it a mess. When games are lag free it is a joy to play. 6v6 is always laggy. 3v3 is much better. But then trials is laggy as hell because of the mm mess.

LordOfChaos

Not sure if these are just table stakes for Destiny fans but I just discovered them, daaang, these are perhaps the two best pieces of Destiny lore I think Bungie has written

http://db.destinytracker.com/grimoire/enemies/books-of-sorrow

And

http://db.destinytracker.com/grimoire/enemies/vex
(starting with the ghost fragments)

I wonder if part of the next Destiny, or a DLC, could be inside a Vex simulation world. And I wish they could translate something as deep as the first link into the game story, but it would be hard.

The pvp is great. It's the lag that makes it a mess. When games are lag free it is a joy to play. 6v6 is always laggy. 3v3 is much better. But then trials is laggy as hell because of the mm mess.
The lag is beyond a mess. People eat full shotgun blasts and turn around and melee you twice and then teleport away.

As someone is fairly average at PVP, the level of frustration it creates is making me want to quit the game altogether.

I have tried going wired but it doesn't fix the lag at all. The problem is in the net code itself. Destiny 2 needs to fix it.

The lag is beyond a mess. People eat full shotgun blasts and turn around and melee you twice and then teleport away.

As someone is fairly average at PVP, the level of frustration it creates is making me want to quit the game altogether.

I have tried going wired but it doesn't fix the lag at all. The problem is in the net code itself. Destiny 2 needs to fix it.

Completely agree. My solution would be that anyone with a red bar does 0 damage until they are green bar. Yellow bars do half damage. Poor connections should not be rewarded. It's way to common to see red bars at top of leader boards. I honestly have no idea where my skill level currently is in destiny PVP because the lag makes learning from losing engagements impossible

Jabronium

Got the Clever Dragon from getting my 2nd rank 5. Send It/Hand Laid Stock, High Caliber Rounds, and Rangefinder. Interested to see how that turns out. Otherwise...just more infusion fuel so far.

That is P2P multiplayer for you.

I've played p2p in the past with less lag. Hell destiny 2 years ago had less lag! Dedicated servers would just mean that people with rubbish connections wouldn't have a bit of a better experience.

To go red bar in this game you need trash tier internet. I know someone with 2mb down and 500k up and he is green 80% of the time. Only time he red bars is if we have players from different continents in with us.

Too many people use high bandwidth software on other devices that exacerbates it all. Of course you are going to lag like a mofo if you are streaming, whilst watching streams and your other half is on Netflx

Got the Clever Dragon from getting my 2nd rank 5. Send It/Hand Laid Stock, High Caliber Rounds, and Rangefinder. Interested to see how that turns out. Otherwise...just more infusion fuel so far.

Hell, the base weapon is soooo good it's really hard to get a bad roll on the Clever Dragon! You'll love it if you like highly accurate, fast firing pulse rifles. Its basically a Grasp of Malok.

jacobs34

Everyone's talking about all of these new guns, and for good reason, but I decided to break out the trusty old Hawksaw and I still think it's the best Pulse Rifle. I have the Grasp as well but I feel like that perfect rolled vendor hawksaw is amazing at all ranges and just melts shotgun rushers.

MrDaravon

I love Supremacy but playing it solo is probably the most abysmal PvP experience you can have in this game. I've had so many hours of 0.2-0.4 K/D matches already this week that I'm actually curious how hard it's going to drop my SBMM rating or whatever. You can usually tell within the first 2 minutes if your team of all randoms is incompetent or not (spoiler: they are), and if it's a blowout I don't even bother expending the energy to play seriously and just play while watching something else and get blown out just for the loot.

I was just in a match that was called via a Mercy rule because it was 6 solo randoms against a fireteam of 6. Next match it puts me into a game where my team is losing 80-18 against a fireteam of 6. L O L

How is this Zombie Apocalypse WF47 roll:

CQB Ballistics/Linear Compensator/Soft Ballistics
Counterbalance
High Caliber Rounds/Oiled Frame/Armor Piercing Rouds
Crowd Control

Zakalwe

Banned
Completely agree. My solution would be that anyone with a red bar does 0 damage until they are green bar. Yellow bars do half damage. Poor connections should not be rewarded. It's way to common to see red bars at top of leader boards. I honestly have no idea where my skill level currently is in destiny PVP because the lag makes learning from losing engagements impossible

Red bar doesn't always equal advantage, I can assure you.

I'm a long time fps pvp player. Back in the day I played Halo Ce/2 competitively. In public servers my K/d was 10-1 on average. Both on pc and console. Back then I had the best internet connection available, plus I was between 5-110 years younger so my game was a lot higher...

These days I'm almost always 2-3 k/d in fps games. I know how to play.

Currently working with a terrible, cheap phone line connection. Barely pulls 3mb down, 500k/bs up. Constant red/yellow bars. Hits don't register, players warp, takes 2-3 seconds to register kills/actions like picking up crests, splash damage is completely inconsistent, etc...

My tactics and aim are solid, but it's like playing in mud.

Upgrading my internet soon so I'm hoping I simply haven't lost my ability to play. Back in OG Destiny I was 2-3 k/d, since my return on this connection I've dropped to 1.5.

Anyway, I haven't had a single game yet where my red bar feels like an advantage.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
If you haven't played IB yet, do that and get a Clever Dragon instead. Actually hits harder than my Grasp, even though they have the same impact. *shrugs*
I'd rather not. >w>

Got to rank 5 already once and didn't get it, and neither of my other characters are good enough to survive so I'm not going to put in that effort only to get screwed by RNG and not having a fun time in general...

Zakalwe

Banned
Does the Clever Dragon drop via end game rewards, or is it just via bounties?

Not seen a single post game reward yet so I'm assuming the latter...

MechDX

Ran IB with my Titan first and got a complete set of IB gear for her.

Ran my Warlock yesterday and while it was REALLY fast (2.5 hours to hit level 5) she got all armor but the chest piece. I dont want to play PvP just to try and get the chest. :(

I hate the one from the book with the fur collar. Looks dumb

The worst thing is some big Destiny YouTubers did a whole video saying how great it is. Now more people will use it.

And those same Youtubers will still all be using Last Word & Thorn when it counts. It's just a Grasp/PDX-45, there's nothing to really be afraid of that's not already out there. It's a pea shooter unless they get a high stability roll and/or high calibre rounds, and even then True Vanguard said he wasn't think he preferred it to his Hawksaw, and those were easy to come by as dirt.

That said, the firing action on it feels really cool, I wish I'd gotten a better roll on mine.

Jabronium

Hell, the base weapon is soooo good it's really hard to get a bad roll on the Clever Dragon! You'll love it if you like highly accurate, fast firing pulse rifles. Its basically a Grasp of Malok.

Sweet. I never landed a Grasp, and I know the Hawksaw is supposed to be amazing but it just doesn't click with me for some reason.

Everyone's talking about all of these new guns, and for good reason, but I decided to break out the trusty old Hawksaw and I still think it's the best Pulse Rifle. I have the Grasp as well but I feel like that perfect rolled vendor hawksaw is amazing at all ranges and just melts shotgun rushers.

I have an uber god roll hawksaw as well and it's amazing! That said, i still think this new Clever Dragon bests it.

Hawk is .87s time to kill 2.6 bursts (8 crit) 1.33s time to kill 4 bursts (12 body) 73 rof 7 impact 25/17 damage 27 range 72 stability 60 aim assist

Clever
is .80s time to kill 3 burst (8 crit) 1.33s time to kill 4.33 bursts (13 body) 77 rof 4 impact 23/16 damage 31 range 58 stability 77 aim assist

Depending on perks theyre both similar however, with aim assist perks the Clever just rails headshots like crazy.

Does the Clever Dragon drop via end game rewards, or is it just via bounties?

Not seen a single post game reward yet so I'm assuming the latter...

Post game rewards are the items on offer during this IB as well as ghosts and artifacts. Bounties give anything else

Top Bottom