• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Also, the gun's amazing. I had a touch, but preferred Spindle in the Raid.
No health removed? Swarms? Stable? Boss-looking? SOLD.

Shit's never getting infused unless there's a Spliced version.

I don't care for it especially given the questline to acquire it. It should be better. Regarding Pulse Rifles, I'd rather use the Clever Dragon I have in PvE as it destroys the Outbreak Prime. I have multiple primaries that destroy the OP in overall usefulness in PvE.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawk lives in NYC? I keep thinking you're in the Midwest for some reason.
Errr good guesses, I live in South Florida and I'm here til Wednesday on vacation in the city XD
Sorry for being one of those "fucking idiots" :(.
The vast majority of damage to Aksis is done by the charged cannons. Unless your group is struggling as a whole to come up with the kill and needing to eke out every scrap of DPS possible, use what you enjoy.

Hey DGaf on xbone: if any of you have Gears of War 4 Operations Pack codes you don't plan on using, please pass it my way. I figured I'd ask here as it's the only GAF group I'm a part of!

LiK

The gun also does some bad damage and is pretty garbage.

Whenever I'm in a raid group and I hear people fire Outbreak's at Aksis, something inside of me dies. Pls use Ghorn or Sleeper you fucking idiot.

Maybe they're out of heavy ammo. lol

I usually use my primary and secondary (sniper) for the first two phases when he's stunned and use the heavy for the third when we have the most time.

Yeah, Outbreak Prime is disappointing. It's not worth the exotic weapon slot.
New raid scout is the best raid weapon since maybe VoG weapons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe they're out of heavy ammo. lol

I usually use my primary and secondary (sniper) for the first two phases when he's stunned and use the heavy for the third when we have the most time.
There's lots of wiggle room; biggest factors by far for success are using tethers, Weapons of Light, and your highest light team members firing off cannon charged shots during that third phase.

LiK

There's lots of wiggle room; biggest factors by far for success are using tethers, Weapons of Light, and your highest light team members firing off cannon charged shots during that third phase.

Yea, that's usually the strat to go with.

Just got caught up reading, so people are calling out people for being high LL (370-380+) while their light level is 350+ and are complaining about the grind to 365. LoL what else did I miss?
Puberty, apparently? (I've seen your pics.)
Btw do we have any news about a PS4 Pro patch? I think that would get me to finally start playing Destiny on Playstation.
Could the PS4 Pro even handle Lima, though?

Strider

All this "raid is no issue with low 360s or 350s if you have some high level folks to make up for it" ...

Ok so where the high level players that are willing to let my 360 LL hunter run the raid with em then?
anuxi_rum.gif

Lima

My group has been testing out OP/Snipers/Raid rocket launcher and I'm pretty impressed by the damage. We can nearly 2 cycle Aksis. Gjallarhorn is better for captains for sure though.

Then your math is way off. A Grasp of Malok does more dps than the Prime. It's a shitty gun blocking your exotic slot in PvE that's better used for Ghorn or sleeper.
It is outclassed in PvP by Hawksaw, Blind Perdition and the likes.
There is no reason to ever equip beyond the fact that it does look amazing. But hey so does Sleeper.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All this "raid is no issue with low 360s or 350s if you have some high level folks to make up for it" ...

Ok so where the high level players that are willing to let my 360 LL hunter run the raid with em then?
anuxi_rum.gif
There are others, but I'm one, assuming you're on PS4.

I'm out of state until Wednesday night and at a work conference in the keys this weekend, though I may bring my PS4 with me. The next newbie raid will either be during the weekend or early next week in the evening Eastern Time, so watch for the signups.

Also I wouldn't exactly say "no issue"; just that the LL isn't the determining factor. The raid can throw up tough bottlenecks or even be impossible to clear without everyone contributing. Communication is key throughout.

Yea, that's usually the strat to go with.

I think it is generally the standard Aksis most fail-safe strat.

I want to give my Celestial Nighthawk build a go as I miss using the Gunslinger subclass.

A fireteam comprised of something like two tethering Hunters, a Weapons of Light Titan, and three Celestial Nighthawk Hunters sounds rather enticing.

anuxi_rum.gif

Here...........

Xbox-One-Dev.jpg

...Communication is key throughout.

I "consulted" over a raid. And by "consulted" I mean I was the 7th man in the party listening to a group of 6 communicate through Aksis phase 2 for an hour. Communication is key but action matters just as much. They had multiple guys who heard the cry for help, but wouldnt take the leap to do it.

"We need a bomber on left"

Silence

"Guys, anyone on left please"

Nothing

"Guess that's a wipe"

The communication was patient, heard, but never acknowledged with action and that's where failure happens.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it is generally the standard Aksis most fail-safe strat.

I want to give my Celestial Nighthawk build a go as I miss using the Gunslinger subclass.

A fireteam comprised of something like two tethering Hunters, a Weapons of Light Titan, and three Celestial Nighthawk Hunters sounds rather enticing.
Poorlocks :(

Celestial Nighthawk for the captains and Aksis while tethered/lit is admittedly a total blast if your class comp can sustain it.
There is an easy sword strategy for aksis out there.
Well don't hold out of us now...

LiK

anuxi_rum.gif

If you play with people who are patient and nice. It's no big deal. Once you start getting some loot there, your LL will go up some more. Only issue is probably the final boss section where the lower LL and DPS makes surviving much more challenging. Even guys at much higher LL can inadvertently die to those captains. It all depends how quickly people wanna complete it which is why I noticed people wanting 370+ peeps for quick runs.

SheHateMe

I can be a comfortable LL 372 right now (thanks, IB!) and I haven't even asked nor seen anything about the Raid outside of certain names and whatnot. (Which don't bother me in the slightest)

I wonder if I could get my LL high enough to Blind Raid the HM.
I know you need to clear NM before trying HM, just wondering is all.

darknil

Now that I see mentions of the canons, I always had the doubt of the damage made by environment weapons like the turrets or canons.

Does those have an static damage input? Does the LL impact them?

Poorlocks :(

Celestial Nighthawk for the captains and Aksis while tethered/lit is admittedly a total blast if your class comp can sustain it.

Well don't hold out of us now...

Three Raze-Lighter wielding Guardians for the Captains also fitted with High Impact Snipers and Cannons (since Exotic sword is in heavy slot) for the DPS phase. The other three Guardians with Gjallarhorns/Sleepers and also High Imapct Snipers during DPS phase.

LiK

Now that I see mentions of the canons, I always had the doubt of the damage made by environment weapons like the turrets or canons.

Does those have an static damage input? Does the LL impact them?

Apparently the cannons are affected by LL. Dunno about turrets since no one really uses them.

Ruze789

Here...........

Xbox-One-Dev.jpg

I'm going to have to keep this in mind when I get up to minimum raid LL, I'm currently at 346 and slowly making the climb up. I think I only ever did VoG once or twice and it was with a gaf crew.

Also sending you a PM with my GoW4 code you mentioned.

Raven117

Thank you. :) This is at the top of the OP and I do stand by it, though when Bungie makes progression easier gamewide in just over a week it will be pretty irrelevant itself.

Here are some things I would stress:

The people who very rapidly made it to a raid-friendly level right at launch and furthered to 385 likely did invest a ton of hours into the game after RoI dropped as well as doing specific things in advance to prepare for certain boosts that helped a lot at particular LL thresholds.

At the same time, maximizing efficiency with community knowledge did make it possible to ascend to ~370+ quite rapidly with very targeted acitivites and limited playtime, especially once the first weekend of Trials and now Iron Banner were introduced.

Ocean hit the nail on the head when he noted that the people most attuned to the min-maxing strategies also happen to be the sort that enjoy playing Destiny frequently for extended hours, which compounds the effect to an observer.

I do still stand by my note at the bottom of the guide specifying how unnecessary it is to rush and how irrelevant having done so will eventually be, if being "firstish" wasn't actually something you were aiming for in the first place. The community won't leave anyone behind and it will become easier, not harder, to progress the longer you wait.

Just in case it is still news to anyone, Bungie is actually codifying this sentiment so it will soon be true in the mechanical sense as well as the philosophical sense:

All this said, here are some practical things I would mention to anyone who still feels like they're struggling in the here and now and want to get further quicker:

• If you're in a ~350-365 position and are finding drops completely anemic (and only coming at +1 your current gear from blues), you're likely being hamstrung by your Artifact, Ghost or both. Sadly these slots are something you can't specifically target for progression which makes them big bottlenecks even into higher light levels. You can get them from decrypting Class Item engrams (ALWAYS check the LL if you see something become an artifact), ranking up Crucible/Vanguard/Faction in the case of ghosts, ranking up Eris in the case of Artifacts, and most reliably, from a certain checkpoint in the raid described below. This bottleneck is likely to be much less important when Bungie implements their stated changes.
  • Don't neglect your Daily Heroic Story or a Public Event per character per day. That's 4 guaranteed legendary engrams per day which can both pop up to 365 or become Exotics which can go well beyond that. And indeed Class Item engrams can even become high light artifacts. Remembering to do this can get you over some tougher humps.
  • While the grind feels (and is to a certain extent) pretty onerous getting from 350 to around 370, it can't be overstated how much having one character over 370 enables your other characters to reach the same level rapidly and trivially. Having three characters at this level then reciprocally makes it easier to focus on raising an indvidual character even higher. Because of this factor, it is my opinion that the status quo is actually the most generous Bungie has ever been in terms of progression, at least when a raid was involved.
  • The next-to-last checkpoint in the raid offers a guaranteed (or nearly so) Ghost or Artifact. Frankly, this checkpoint can be cleared at LLs as low as 350 with knowledgeable members in the group. If all others in the group are 370+, two 350s could be taken without issue. With one or more 380s, the lowest-end members become even less of a hindrance. This is an incredibly relevant method of getting past that snag with low light artifacts holding you back. Coming back in to that final boss checkpoint when you'd raised your light a little more and readied yourself for the fight is also damn satsifying.
  • Trials of Osiris and Iron Banner both provide a ton of avenues for progression without requiring extended successes. In particular, the bounties directly reward high-light loot. Trials bounties require only round (not match) wins and can technically be completed for progression without even once scoring a card better than 0-3.
  • All of the raid drops, which are generous to start with compared to previous raids, begin at 365. The raid is also fun, quick with a knowledgeable group, and repeatable (even by the same character) for shots at progression thanks to a much-improved shard mechanic called SIVA Cache Keys, which are used by choice for additional rolls at the particular loot from an individual checkpoint- so if you know you need, say, a Heavy Weapon or Class Item in particular to progress, you can save them for the relevant checkpoint. Watch for newbie raid sign-ups to get a shot at all of this in a stress-free environment.
I could go on but it's an absolutely beautiful day in NYC and I'm walking over to Central Park.

As always, the voice of reason.

With the exception of the 350-365 hike, progress with a single character and for your alts is very reasonable if you focus on things you know will help your light level.

Iron Banner this go around Im sure helped tons of folks make this jump (350-365).

After about 370+ you are really just showing off as you can tackle anything the game has to offer at the moment. (Though this may change with Hard mode coming out soon).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Then your math is way off. A Grasp of Malok does more dps than the Prime. It's a shitty gun blocking your exotic slot in PvE that's better used for Ghorn or sleeper.
It is outclassed in PvP by Hawksaw, Blind Perdition and the likes.
There is no reason to ever equip beyond the fact that it does look amazing. But hey so does Sleeper.

Any numbers to back up the viability of these other weapons vs the OP? I am curious to know how much extra damage the nanites/extra fallen damage do vs other weapons.

Regardless, though, the fight isn't a DPS fight, so it's a bit strange that you would care what weapon someone uses. I don't think I've ever wiped in that fight because of a lack of damage. It's almost always because someone is glowing and, apparently, does not realize they are glowing.

If you play with people who are patient and nice. It's no big deal. Once you start getting some loot there, your LL will go up some more. Only issue is probably the final boss section where the lower LL and DPS makes surviving much more challenging. Even guys at much higher LL can inadvertently die to those captains. It all depends how quickly people wanna complete it which is why I noticed people wanting 370+ peeps for quick runs.

Speed is pretty much the reason why people tend to prefer experienced runs nowadays. Adding folks who haven't finished the raid before more than doubles completion time, even if their light level is 385. It takes everyone time to learn the encounters, so it's not a knock on anyone.

Pretty sure the Outbreak Prime does more dps than any other primary except maybe the raid scout on the raid because of the swarms and extra dmg against fallen. /shrug

I'm going to have to keep this in mind when I get up to minimum raid LL, I'm currently at 346 and slowly making the climb up. I think I only ever did VoG once or twice and it was with a gaf crew.

Also sending you a PM with my GoW4 code you mentioned.

Thank you :) You're the best. Add me on Live. I roll with a gang off idiots and we're always short 1 or 2 people

Deku Tree

Pretty sure the Outbreak Prime does more dps than any other primary except maybe the raid scout on the raid because of the swarms and extra dmg against fallen. /shrug

The problem is that it prevents me from using Raze-Lighter and Ghorn. Also it doesn't have full auto.

GunnerZ

The problem is that it prevents me from using Raze-Lighter and Ghorn. Also it doesn't have full auto.
It doesn't really need full auto and the raid RL work really well in taking down the captains at aksis, if you have a void Song and Fury~ you would be set for the whole raid.

Deku Tree

It doesn't really need full auto and the raid RL work really well in taking down the captains at aksis, if you have a void Song and Fury~ you would be set for the whole raid.

I have song and fury of every element. I don't like that it requires two heavy/rocket perks to us it's key perk.

Also I like full auto and I like swording captains. It makes me feel good.

Hawkian you make great points, but there is a sect of players you're forgetting; those that DO put a ton of time into the game and yet they still have trouble finding people for end game activities.

I was 384 before I set foot in the raid, and I won't lie, it was pretty frustrating.

I did finally run it with a really great group on Saturday, but I know this same thing will happen with the HM next week.

Mindlog

I like the sword on captains because it's fail proof. The captains can teleport all they want, but there's is no evading the sword. My captain will always die in a timely manner when I want it to die.

Being 380+ might be too powerful in the last encounter. You can stand in a Siva swarm surrounded by enemies and still shoot your way out.

I probably would have delayed the raid by another week or two and set the soft level cap at 379.

Still, doing 140,000+ damage per scorch cannon shot is neat.

Would like to run at least one Night Fall before the reset tonight (But I have 3 characters, so could do it 3 times if anyone is wanting to). Also would be down to run a card or two of Trials of Osiris tonight. PSN: Leonidas2123, should be able to play starting anywhere between 7-9 PM CST and willing to play until around 1-2 AM.

Top Bottom