• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

GunnerZ

Just got caught up reading, so people are calling out people for being high LL (370-380+) while their light level is 350+ and are complaining about the grind to 365. LoL what else did I miss?

ch4fx_

Just got caught up reading, so people are calling out people for being high LL (370-380+) while their light level is 350+ and are complaining about the grind to 365. LoL what else did I miss?

A brief discussion on the topic of grenades & if they should or should not be nerfed.

Xeroblade

The raid only drops up to 385 as far as I have seen, but I keep doing it for the drops. I haven't gotten the full armor set yet, and the perks on some of that armor (especially the gloves) are pretty great.

Yup. When you are 385+ then all raid drops are 384 or 385.

It's worth it to raid for fun and to get a specific piece that you might be missing and to try and get the shader. Also for infusion to your other characters. Also for infusion to your other characters.

True. The only way to get the shader is by collecting all the armor correct? I guess i can do that, and its practice for hard mode....Thanks for the info.

phen0m24

The 365 grind was real for one weekend when everyone was doing Omnigul. Friends asked me to help them. Mid strike my buddies left and 2 randos asked me to help them grind. Then.... the nerf. :(

We pay attention to what's going on and make the most of it. When Omnigul was nightfall we did that too. :)

molnizzle

Yeah I don't see how anyone can be complaining about LL after Iron Banner all week. I felt like I was struggling in the low 370's last week but am now 385+ on all guardians. I do play a lot, but I also go to school full time and have a wife and family. I just prioritize Destiny when I decide how to spend my free time. Haven't been playing any other games or watching much TV. Got an A on my Physics test last week though!

This is an MMO-style loot game, people who put in the time are rewarded for it. If you don't want to do that that's fine but you can't complain about those who do. That's just the nature of these games.

JJShadow

Is anyone up for some IB before tomorrow's reset? Only need 7-8 more games to reach Rank 5, everyone is welcome!

PSN is JJShadow77

Born2Live

Those who are 385+ like myself obviously had to have some kind of luck with RNG. Also, since ROI launched, when I wasn't asleep or at work I was playing Destiny. I didn't have piles and piles of consumables to turn in for rep, like most others here.

Same here, I have characters at 385, 384, and 383 and at no point have I found it a grind to get to this point. I've juggled my playtime between kids, work, and general life stuff outside of gaming.

Hawkian posted a terrific guide about leveling up in ROI that people should really check out if they are struggling to increase their LL.

Also don't be afraid to jump into to the Raid once your around 355. With a lot of people being 370+ carrying a 355 to at least the final encounter shouldn't be a problem. The drops you should get from the raid go a long way to increasing your LL too.

Ty

ocean

Banned
Raid drops are minimum 365. As long as the rest of the group is above 370 having 1-2 people in the 350s really isn't a problem.

WotM full run, starting as soon as we're full
1. Ambitious (PSN: ps_flocki)
2. MrAnderson (PSN: Greyblade)

By the way, I have yet to do the raid, but have watched videos on how all the mechanics work for each boss. I am good at taking instructions though >.>

If you want to drop me for this reason, I understand.

EL CUCO

NF, Exotic engrams, and Forge (class item) is the only way to get loot over 385LL gear at the moment, correct?

I got a 388 Dragon Breath from the NF last night.

LiK

They need better quest rewards. You got some decent stuff to get you rolling in TTK like that 310 artifact and that quest that gave you a 300 special. Spindle being 310 at the kiosk (rip). Keep in mind blue engrams got you basically raid ready too.

Bungie goofed pretty freaking hard with the RoI progression system

Yup, agree. Only people who can bear a grind can level up quickly. People who just play casually will take much longer. Thank gawd for IB. I'm up to 374 from the drops there.

Deku Tree

NF, Exotic engrams, and Forge (class item) is the only way to get loot over 385LL gear at the moment, correct?

I got a bunch of 386 and 387 from IB. Also if an exotic drops from anywhere it can go over 385 like shaxfall or exotic raid chest.

EL CUCO

I got a bunch of 386 and 387 from IB. Also if an exotic drops from anywhere it can go over 385 like shaxfall or exotic raid chest.
Early on I got a bunch of 386/387, but towards the weekend I didnt get anything higher than 385 for some reason.

I guess Trials goes over 385 as well?

Top page edit: Darryl has confirmed he will Raid tonight at 9:30 EDT.

I've had Vanguard/Faction rewards drop at 386-387 LL a lot but it's not a guarantee.

Also, Iron Banner like others have said.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does anyone wanna do Trials for bounties/5 wins/recordbook? Worst case I just want 5 passages completed, best case we'll get 5/7 wins&bounties. I really don't care much for ToO, just want the loot&completion.

Ambitious

Psn? If so I'll go 384 hunter snipes424

May I join please? 385 Titan

PSN: Talos_AI

Would love to join you guys but won't be able to log on for another hour or so which by that time I'm guessing you will be full.

Sign me up

WotM full run, starting as soon as we're full
1. Ambitious (PSN: ps_flocki)
2. MrAnderson (PSN: Greyblade)
3. Snipes424
4. xuchu
5. Born2Live
6. Robdraggoo

Starting in about one hour, when Born2Live comes online. Is this okay for everyone?

LiK

Isn't the 385 cap gonna be lifted on legendaries when HM comes out? What's the point of grinding now if you're already 385?

Deku Tree

Isn't the 385 cap gonna be lifted on legendaries when HM comes out? What's the point of grinding now if you're already 385?

Yeah all caps are gonna go up. I think legendary engrams will go up to 385 instead of the current 365 cap but IDK.

Lee

Additionally, when the Heroic Raid is released, many Activities and all Engrams will increase their maximum Light, making it easier overall to progress.
- Bungie

I imagine blues will go to 365, legendaries will go to 385, and exotics will go to 400. Who knows though.

This is probably the only reason I have not infused it as of yet but I could also just do it and buy another and infuse it up to 386 immediately.

However, with the impending LL increase it seems rather pointless. My main is 387 LL with both alts at 386 LL.

Also, the gun's amazing. I had a touch, but preferred Spindle in the Raid.
No health removed? Swarms? Stable? Boss-looking? SOLD.

Shit's never getting infused unless there's a Spliced version.

I imagine blues will go to 365, legionaries will go to 385, and exotics will go to 400. Who knows though.

I've started hoarding legs and exotic engrams again.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
No health removed? Swarms? Stable? Boss-looking? SOLD.

Shit's never getting infused unless there's a Spliced version.

I've started hoarding legs and exotic engrams again.

I agree, it's a great gun. AND a decent pulse rifle so it's actually useable for me. I'll probably infuse the second one (once I get it) into eg the raid scout rifle though, raid scout is fantastic for PvE bosses with that huge mag.

Unconfirmed what LL it'll go to, right? I'll likely just keep a couple engrams of each type around

Lima

No health removed? Swarms? Stable? Boss-looking? SOLD

The gun also does some bad damage and is pretty garbage.

Whenever I'm in a raid group and I hear people fire Outbreak's at Aksis, something inside of me dies. Pls use Ghorn or Sleeper you fucking idiot.

Trakan

Whenever I'm in a raid group and I hear people fire Outbreak's at Aksis, something inside of me dies. Pls use Ghorn or Sleeper you fucking idiot.

My group has been testing out OP/Snipers/Raid rocket launcher and I'm pretty impressed by the damage. We can nearly 2 cycle Aksis. Gjallarhorn is better for captains for sure though.

Kalamari

I'm pretty sure that Bungie will have some sort of plan to prevent players from skyrocketing to 400 once HM releases. At first they will ignore it, act like it's working as intended the first week, then they will admit it's a bug a week later, then they'll finally change it in another 2 weeks after using the "deeply embedded and difficult to fix" bug excuse.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian posted a terrific guide about leveling up in ROI that people should really check out if they are struggling to increase their LL.
Thank you. :) This is at the top of the OP and I do stand by it, though when Bungie makes progression easier gamewide in just over a week it will be pretty irrelevant itself.

Here are some things I would stress:

The people who very rapidly made it to a raid-friendly level right at launch and furthered to 385 likely did invest a ton of hours into the game after RoI dropped as well as doing specific things in advance to prepare for certain boosts that helped a lot at particular LL thresholds.

At the same time, maximizing efficiency with community knowledge did make it possible to ascend to ~370+ quite rapidly with very targeted acitivites and limited playtime, especially once the first weekend of Trials and now Iron Banner were introduced.

Ocean hit the nail on the head when he noted that the people most attuned to the min-maxing strategies also happen to be the sort that enjoy playing Destiny frequently for extended hours, which compounds the effect to an observer.

I do still stand by my note at the bottom of the guide specifying how unnecessary it is to rush and how irrelevant having done so will eventually be, if being "firstish" wasn't actually something you were aiming for in the first place. The community won't leave anyone behind and it will become easier, not harder, to progress the longer you wait.

Just in case it is still news to anyone, Bungie is actually codifying this sentiment so it will soon be true in the mechanical sense as well as the philosophical sense:
When the Heroic Raid is released, many Activities and all Engrams will increase their maximum Light, making it easier overall to progress.

All this said, here are some practical things I would mention to anyone who still feels like they're struggling in the here and now and want to get further quicker:

• If you're in a ~350-365 position and are finding drops completely anemic (and only coming at +1 your current gear from blues), you're likely being hamstrung by your Artifact, Ghost or both. Sadly these slots are something you can't specifically target for progression which makes them big bottlenecks even into higher light levels. You can get them from decrypting Class Item engrams (ALWAYS check the LL if you see something become an artifact), ranking up Crucible/Vanguard/Faction in the case of ghosts, ranking up Eris in the case of Artifacts, and most reliably, from a certain checkpoint in the raid described below. This bottleneck is likely to be much less important when Bungie implements their stated changes.
  • Don't neglect your Daily Heroic Story or a Public Event per character per day. That's 4 guaranteed legendary engrams per day which can both pop up to 365 or become Exotics which can go well beyond that. And indeed Class Item engrams can even become high light artifacts. Remembering to do this can get you over some tougher humps.
  • While the grind feels (and is to a certain extent) pretty onerous getting from 350 to around 370, it can't be overstated how much having one character over 370 enables your other characters to reach the same level rapidly and trivially. Having three characters at this level then reciprocally makes it easier to focus on raising an indvidual character even higher. Because of this factor, it is my opinion that the status quo is actually the most generous Bungie has ever been in terms of progression, at least when a raid was involved.
  • The next-to-last checkpoint in the raid offers a guaranteed (or nearly so) Ghost or Artifact. Frankly, this checkpoint can be cleared at LLs as low as 350 with knowledgeable members in the group. If all others in the group are 370+, two 350s could be taken without issue. With one or more 380s, the lowest-end members become even less of a hindrance. This is an incredibly relevant method of getting past that snag with low light artifacts holding you back. Coming back in to that final boss checkpoint when you'd raised your light a little more and readied yourself for the fight is also damn satsifying.
  • Trials of Osiris and Iron Banner both provide a ton of avenues for progression without requiring extended successes. In particular, the bounties directly reward high-light loot. Trials bounties require only round (not match) wins and can technically be completed for progression without even once scoring a card better than 0-3.
  • All of the raid drops, which are generous to start with compared to previous raids, begin at 365. The raid is also fun, quick with a knowledgeable group, and repeatable (even by the same character) for shots at progression thanks to a much-improved shard mechanic called SIVA Cache Keys, which are used by choice for additional rolls at the particular loot from an individual checkpoint- so if you know you need, say, a Heavy Weapon or Class Item in particular to progress, you can save them for the relevant checkpoint. Watch for newbie raid sign-ups to get a shot at all of this in a stress-free environment.
I could go on but it's an absolutely beautiful day in NYC and I'm walking over to Central Park.

ch4fx_

Sorry for being one of those "fucking idiots" :(.

Top Bottom