• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

people here who are 385 do nothing other than play Destiny.

8rZczQO.png

deadduck

Did everyone keep their 390 Outbreak Prime or use it to infuse another weapon?
I'm thinking of putting it into the raid scout, but it's already at 387. Probably not worth it.

A group I played in Trials put it into their LiTC eyesalunas.

Dunno why when you can get 387 drops and 400 is just around the corner.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No need to throw personal insults around. A lot of people here are parents and have jobs. Woody has 20 kids and plays one crucible match a day and he's 385+.

Lima

A group I played in Trials put it into their LiTC eyesalunas.

Dunno why when you can get 387 drops and 400 is just around the corner.

Because they did the quest multiple times.

I put one in the Blind Perdition from Trials and one in my Imago Loop. My favorite PvP and PvE weapon deserve to be 390.

people here who are 385 do nothing other than play Destiny.

I think this statement is a bit unfair.

For starters, Bungie doesn't do anyone favors by making the raid 3 days post release. If they wanted everyone to be more casual about chasing LL they should have launched the raid at least 1 week after like Vanilla.

Also, suggesting that someone doesn't have a family, job, or social obligations is just silly. Plenty of folks here in DGAF have all that AND more and are still high LL. You can achieve 385 by playing efficiently.

At the end of the day, putting down people that play something they love more than you is rude and unnecessary.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If you decide to run one particular strike over and over then yes it is, but if you run the Heroic Strike playlist and run the many other game-modes/alternatives to higher LL rewards as well then it isn't nearly as monotonous as a player could make it be.

While I agree that just running strikes is preferred and, honestly, fun because of the gameplay, it (i) still takes quite a bit of time and (ii) relies on your teammates not bailing or standing around AFK at the beginning. Bottom line is that there isn't a reason for Bungie to make the grind so long from 350 to 365.

Strider

It doesn't matter what activity you do getting to LL 365 is a pain in the ass. Saying people that have more time to play "break the game" is silly to me bc it really shouldn't be this big a deal in the first place. People shouldn't have to grind Sepiks 8 hours a day to be ready for the raid when it launches... and other people shouldnt have to play an hour or 2 a night hoping for a measly +1 LL boost.

I really really hope with destiny 2 they can finally realize that raising LL little by little is not fun and chasing quality gear at the end game is fun. Hell LL can go away forever for all I care...

The RoI content is fun/good... but man they dropped the ball hard with the leveling process.

Frenden

Banned

For starters, Bungie doesn't do anyone favors by making the raid 3 days post release. If they wanted everyone to be more casual about chasing LL they should have launched the raid at least 1 week after like Vanilla.

Also, suggesting that someone doesn't have a family, job, or social obligations is just silly. Plenty of folks here in DGAF have all that AND more and are still high LL. You can achieve 385 by playing efficiently.

At the end of the day, putting down people that play something they love more than you is rude and unnecessary.

Yup. 385+ on all three characters here. It was more to do with knowing where and when to burn mats/rank ups and stored exotic engrams than, er, not having a life (lol).

Lnkn52

Get a life APE....

Before IB, <370. After IB, >380. Just like Ape said, just play efficiently.

Also, try not to chase DGAF and their elite players like Ruthless and Wipe; who get all the great Weapons and LLs on day 0. You will only drive yourself mad and and sour the game for yourself too.

Also, this year of Destiny is not a rush for me. It's the last year for Vanilla and it seems that none of this stuff might not carry over. I just plan to have fun and beat the heroic raid and have the game on casual mode and hibernate till Destiny 2.

stn

Anyone new to the game looking for a coop partner to run through the story with? Xbone. Have mic and will gladly chat! I'd like to eventually join a clan and grind for gear, I just have no clue what I'm doing at the moment beyond shooting things.

Frenden

Banned
FWIW, and lots of DGAF pals I played with can attest, I was out of town for RoI launch. I got home the day before the raid landed, ground hard for one night, and went from LL 335 to LL 372 for the raid.

Magik

Calling people out who hit 385 early is rather silly. Speaking for myself, I hit 385 quickly because I accumulated a TON of materials over the last 6 months playing casually which made it easy to get faction packages. Coupled with a LOT of luck I was lucky to get artifacts and ghosts which made it easy to continue to progress.

And to echo what Ape said, its all about playing as efficiently as possible and hoping that RNG is kind to you.

If the progression aspect is still a huge issue for people, speak up and let Bungie know about it. Taking shots at people on DGAF isn't going to help you rank up any faster.

i feel the sting of the struggle to get to 365. currently stuck at 352 atm. only playing my hunter, filthy casual that i've become. but i think it's best to not to try and play catch up with the joneses. just have fun with the game and DGaf. that's my current MO.

A lot of levelling avenues now with Xur, trials, ib, raid, strikes. 385 is nothing 20 days after release.

Heck my Xbox char is 374 with probably 10 hours of total play time since ROI launched, if that.

E92 M3

I had this question in a party today and got laughed at by Jigga and Bishop but they didn't really answer it. I hate my Warlock and would spend $90 to remake him with the subclass boosts. Can you buy it three times and fully level all 3 subclasses?

Yeah, you can do that, but don't forget that stats will get deleted as well if you care.

Those who are 385+ like myself obviously had to have some kind of luck with RNG. Also, since ROI launched, when I wasn't asleep or at work I was playing Destiny. I didn't have piles and piles of consumables to turn in for rep, like most others here.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So what if people are putting in time with the game anyway. I'm not going to get mad if I play some game and people who play it more than I do reap the benefits of that. It's expected and common sense. You shouldn't be mad and surprised people are ahead of you when they set aside whatever time they have to get to that point.

Dave_6

My RNG has been fucking awful. I've used easily 100+ 3oC and gotten maybe 10 exotic engrams. Very few ghosts and artifacts too.

Everything on my Hunter is 375ish except my boots which are 369. RNG strikes again when IB won't drop any.

Deku Tree

I have 3x 386 characters and I feel like I haven't played this expansion that much. At least compared to the time that I put into previous expansions.

Once you get one character up there then the second and third are a lot easier because of infusion.

I got my first character up to 365 grinding omnigul for 1-2 hours. Then I got my second and third up there right away with infusion. I got my first character over 370 by spending 1-2 hours donating heavy synth to factions and buying it from xur. Then all my raid drops were higher because my LL was higher. Then I got good drops from NF and raids. Doing the OP quest the first night helped a lot because it raised my LL wearing a 390 primary which raise my drops LL.

Then I got a lot of help from playing IB this week. I got three characters to rank 5 and I did most of the bounties and I got good post match rewards.

But otherwise I didn't grind much else.

hitlerat

Hey guys,

Got 2 Silvered Dread from IB:

Smallbore / Reinforced Barrel
Speed Reload / Snapshot
Hidden Hand / Persistence

x

Perfect Balance / Braced Frame
Speed Reload / Field Scout
Hidden Hand / Grenadier

Which one is better to PvE ?

Frenden

Banned
Get some distance on a bolt and then turn around and slide directly at it. Being hit during a forward slide does a fraction of the usual damage.

At this point 380 isn't unusual. I was a bit behind the curve and I gained maybe 15 levels over the last week thanks to Iron Banner. I played some extra after I was done getting rank 5 but all up it was maybe 8 hours to get all characters to level 5. Once the ball gets rolling the gains are exponential (-ish). Iron Banana keeps giving you higher level stuff until you hit 385 or so. One hour a night is feasible unless you have other commitments but I can understand for some it's a pipe dream.

Getting to the 380s super fast is more of a matter of utilizing currency. If you didn't have any it's slow if you did well you could have gotten there in a night. IB gets around that for a limited time.

Lima

Yeah, you can do that, but don't forget that stats will get deleted as well if you care.

Thanks. Might actually do it then.

Btw do we have any news about a PS4 Pro patch? I think that would get me to finally start playing Destiny on Playstation.

Xur and vendors can make you start off at 350.
Trials gold can be done 4/7 days a week. Play heroic strikes for some good stuff first. Use motes/armor parts/weapon parts/heavy synthetic (strange coins via xur) to level up factions. Make sure you have class items for the extra rep boosts when you turn in bounties/quests (vanguard for pve and plague land bounties, Crucible for pvp and iron banner/trials). Make sure you CHOOSE your rank up packages wisely and in the order that makes sense.
Shaxxfall and nightfall.

Don't be afraid to use your mats.

And this week has something extra helpful, IRON BANNER. 100 marks per char and 4 great rewards. Save shaxxfall, rank up packages, gold bounty, iron banner bounties until it best suits you. Not to mention 3oC per activity. So also legendary and exotic engrams.

If you're below 365, it's a lot easier because of legendary engrams. Always know what each individual gear and weapon light is. If you're 365 with a 370 primary, and everything else is pretty much 364-366 and you choose Weapon Package, you have a 33% chance to fail meaning a primary that'll be 366 or 367. It makes sense to choose gear package in this case.

Once you rank up some gear maybe you're short chest to get the next rank up. Use exotic chest engram or more gear reward bountied / rank up.

If you've been playing since ROI you've hopefully popped 3oC and save them until 365+ otherwise that's a pretty big gap to fill.

Trials Gold can be done 12 times in one weekend. Excellent source of light plus 3oC plus it can drop old gear at high light plus if you can get the 5 and 7 win packages.

ocean

Banned
Ranking up quickly will depend more on how you play than how many hours you put in. Guaranteed. Of course, it just so happens that the kind of player who knows how to best maximize his time for progress tends to be the kind who spends tons of hours.

At any rate, and ignoring the "anybody who goes quicker than me has no life" spirit at bay, some tips for people who are struggling to crack the 350s:

- Heroic Strikes will always give you 2 Rare (blue) items when you kill the boss. These items have a good chance of being at/above your currently-equipped Light, all the way to 365. You have no say over which kind of drop you get, but over time these will bump you up noticeably.
- Crucible matches have a low but steady chance of giving you an legendary weapon (no armor outside of IB/Trials), at/above your current equipped Light.

Where you want to be a little more discerning:

- Faction rank up packages let you chose between weapons and armor. You want to hedge your chances and try and shoot for the biggest jump possible. So if you're 351 Light and all your armor is in the 350-352 range, but your best primary weapon is 347.... buy the Weapons package at that faction. It's not guaranteed you'll get a Primary, but it's still worth shooting for. Drops are calculated against your *Average* Light - so always shoot for replacing your lowest piece.

- Likewise with Exotic engrams. If you're 350 but your Helmet is 353....... DO NOT decrypt your Exotic Helm engram. Chances are, it'll decrypt to 352 or something, since it'll be 1-2 Light higher than your *AVERAGE*. Basically, never use Exotic Engrams for slots where you already have gear at a Light level which is higher than your average. I stored Exotic Engrams in the Vault until one of my slots started holding me back. So if I had an Exotic Heavy engram I'd just sit on it until my Heavy Weapon was my lowest Light item by a few points, and *then* use it.

So let's say you're running Iron Banner for 2 hours today. You pop a Crucible booster and an Exotic engram every other game. By the end of your two hours, you'll have made 1-2 Exotic Engrams, probably ranked up Crucible for a Shaxx package, probably ranked up your faction for another package, certainly gotten a few Iron Banner drops, maybe finished your Shaxx weekly bounty if you hadn't already.... that's multiple sources of potential upgrades in just a single sitting.

I won't lie: most of us who are 380+ now skipped the 340-365 grind entirely in just a few hours with a farming method which has since been patched out. I am not at all surprised it's taking so long now. But the better you understand the ways which optimize progress the quicker you'll be Raid ready :)

Raven117

yeah it sucks but you know the fix is right around the corner, and the fix is fairly trivial

- blue engrams cap out at 365 light instead of 340. BAM, people will just fly from 320 to 365 since blue engrams rain down in certain activities.

- purple engrams cap out at 385 light instead of 365. while rarer, you can at least buy them for X legendary marks.

- inject new source of ghosts and artifacts, bungie has already said this is going to be coming soon (probably hard mode update).

Its par for the course for MMOs and bungies, make stuff a bit more grindy for early adopters and then a few weeks or months later make it a lot easier. Just like anyone who took their time in the first 3 weeks was able to skip the faction grind from 365 to 385 and just run iron banana and boost themselves up via the quests/bounties, I suspect in 7-10 days we'll see this problem resolved as well.

I don't really like the way its structured but I can understand, if everyone was 385 a few days after ROI launched it would have made the raid trivial, since its far easier at 385 than 365. On the other hand when hard mode launches normal mode is gonna be a bit of a joke, but 385 will still be difficult for hard mode raid I imagine, the equivalent of going into normal with 365.

Yup, I always take the position that unless I 100% have to be leveled for something in a short amount of time (like the first week of the raid...and pretty much only that), I always stock pile my resources and the like.

Same reason I stock pile guns and armor...you never know what the next flavor of the month is going to be.

WipedOut

Get a life APE....

Before IB, <370. After IB, >380. Just like Ape said, just play efficiently.

Also, try not to chase DGAF and their elite players like Ruthless and Wipe; who get all the great Weapons and LLs on day 0. You will only drive yourself mad and and sour the game for yourself too.

Also, this year of Destiny is not a rush for me. It's the last year for Vanilla and it seems that none of this stuff might not carry over. I just plan to have fun and beat the heroic raid and have the game on casual mode and hibernate till Destiny 2.

Hey, I was only 370 the day the raid came out.

Xeroblade

The WOTM raid only drops up to 385 correct? No drops above that? Wondering if its even worth raiding being LL 386 anymore until hard mode drops.

They need better quest rewards. You got some decent stuff to get you rolling in TTK like that 310 artifact and that quest that gave you a 300 special. Spindle being 310 at the kiosk (rip). Keep in mind blue engrams got you basically raid ready too.

Bungie goofed pretty freaking hard with the RoI progression system

Arrrammis

The WOTM raid only drops up to 385 correct? No drops above that? Wondering if its even worth raiding being LL 386 anymore until hard mode drops.

The raid only drops up to 385 as far as I have seen, but I keep doing it for the drops. I haven't gotten the full armor set yet, and the perks on some of that armor (especially the gloves) are pretty great.

Deku Tree

Yup. When you are 385+ then all raid drops are 384 or 385.

It's worth it to raid for fun and to get a specific piece that you might be missing and to try and get the shader. Also for infusion to your other characters. Also for infusion to your other characters.

Top Bottom