• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

oSoLucky

Like I said earlier, the simple solution is to just nerf the shields or buff kinetic weapons. The best elemental weapons weren't used for their burn, like Fatebringer, VoC, or Mythoclast. Hell, the only elemental primary currently available, Zhalo, I forget that thing even has arc on it sometimes because it's just a plain good gun, I don't care about the element.

Endgame content should have something unique, and elements were that uniqueness.

On your edit, like I said, it made them unique, and it was still an added bonus to have the element, but not the biggest factor.

I've never tried to argue that elements were the primary reason that people used them, but it did affect other aspects of the game.

Whirlind's Curse is something unique on endgame primaries right now, as was Oracle Breaker, Wizard disorient, shooting through Knight shields, Cocoon, etc. Quillim's Terminus is still the best MG in the game to me because of Cocoon. All of those weapons do more damage against their own raid enemy types also. It's just more subtle than elements. I don't think we would have gotten Strikes readjusted to how they are today with elemental primaries still rampant.

I advocate for one of each type, but make them exotic. I'm not against the idea, just don't think there should be 20 of them running around.

Burns are the best part of the NFs. I was really bummed when they reduced the damage you did from 3x to 2x. Rainbow burn with Fatebringer and Gjallarhorn. It was so much fun.
That and I don't think they've ever had all 3 burns since Y1. Those were the best NFs ):

oSoLucky

Burns are the best part of the NFs. I was really bummed when they reduced the damage you did from 3x to 2x. Rainbow burn with Fatebringer and Gjallarhorn. It was so much fun.

Yeah. That Rainbow Burn Omnigul was one of the best strikes in the game. It was super high risk, high reward. It could be done in 10 minutes but you got 1 or 2 shot by almost everything. Fatebringer/Black Hammer/Gjallarhorn 24/7/365.

It would be nice if there were a permanent mode or playlist like that parallel to normal Heroics.

GorillaJu

vex_sivaclast__by_destinywarlock-dakt73h.png

http://destinywarlock.deviantart.com/art/VEX-SIVACLAST-639616301

This looks like something a Geth sniper would use in Mass Effect. Looks fucking sick.

oSoLucky

I neeeeeeed vault space.

Willing to pay American dollars.

I think vault space is a server storage issue, especially when multiplied times multiple millions of players. It's a big deal in MMOs and Diablo and apparently not an easy thing to solve based on the devs words. If enough players complain then they should eventually upgrade though.

Bungie, GIVE US MORE VAULT SPACE!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So did the normal raid last night and level 386, everything including exotics from chests decrypted at 384. 1 out of the three vanguard and faction packages last night dropped a 387 weapon, the rest were 384.

Is this just RNG or should I always be 384 when running the raid or leveling up factions this week. I feel like i had more 385+ stuff drop when i was leveling up my alts and was at 383-384.

My plan is to run the raid on my alts and just sit right at the edge of leveling up for all my faction and vanguard ranks.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Yeah. That Rainbow Burn Omnigul was one of the best strikes in the game. It was super high risk, high reward. It could be done in 10 minutes but you got 1 or 2 shot by almost everything. Fatebringer/Black Hammer/Gjallarhorn 24/7/365.

It would be nice if there were a permanent mode or playlist like that parallel to normal Heroics.

I've been championing for a Nightfall strike playlist for 1+ years now. It's not going to happen even though it should. We really need challenging PvE content that can be consumed in shorter bursts than raids. CoE was a valiant effort, but it doesn't cut it. Halo 5 really did well with Firefight variety that is not there in PoE/CoE.

Changes that would help the game:

-Remove 3oC, make exotics a possible drop from bosses and crucible matches in the same fashion without need to remember to hold X every so often.
-Variable, difficult PvE content similar to Diablo 3 rifts/grifts
-Reduce XP needed for Armor upgrades or get rid of XP need for any weapons/armor.
-Add a survival/PvE mode that is for 4+ players other than raids.

Silvard

Except the weapons from, let's use VoG as a perfect example, weren't used for the burns, but for how good they were. People used Fatebringer because of its perks and how smooth it was. People used VoC because it literally didn't move when you shot it. The weapons were good because they were good, not because they had burns on them. Those guns were just simply better than all the others, the burns had very little to do with that.

There was nothing negative about the burns and it gave the endgame weapons that uniqueness that they should have.

If they were good and desirable because of their non-burn characteristics, such as perks and stats, then there's no reason for them to have elements on top of that.

Elemental primaries were one of the worst ideas in year 1, I'm glad they corrected it. As I said, they rendered other guns irrelevant for burn content (which was almost all hard content outside of raid), including exotic primaries.

Shito

If they were good and desirable because of their non-burn characteristics, such as perks and stats, then there's no reason for them to have elements on top of that.

Elemental primaries were one of the worst ideas in year 1, I'm glad they corrected it. As I said, they rendered other guns irrelevant for burn content (which was almost all hard content outside of raid), including exotic primaries.
If they didn't have an element, people would have still only used FB and VoC, just like people massively used HJ in Y2...
Heck, I have to force myself to use something else in Y3!

Trakan

Elemental primaries were great. They really had something special with Y1 Destiny and they had to go and screw it up.

If they didn't have an element, people would have still only used FB and VoC, just like people massively used HJ in Y2...
Heck, I have to force myself to use something else in Y3!

This is a great point. So much for not having one gun dominate anymore.

GunnerZ

It kinda bums me out that the Astrocyte Verse has such a garbage perk, an exotic that looks that good deserves a much better perk. Hoping bungie will rework it.

hoggert

Not a DPS fight he said

Eh, Outbreak Prime does have Sign of Four as a hidden perk and the mites do help a little, but eehhhh if you have OP chances are you have a Ghally, an exotic sword, a high impact triple tap sniper, and/or one of the raid primaries and/or are saving your primary slot for something that can 1-2 shot the shanks at 380+ so why the hell would you be using the OP anyway lol

Edit: I forgot about Sleeper... but that thing kills me more on freak accident ricochets more then dying to bombing adds/sudden bubbles/teammates walking in front of me though.

Ambitious

May I join? I have a hunter at 365 and haven't done any raids before so might need to be carried at points. If you still have a slot spare when you're starting and don't mind the carrying then I'm down.

PSN: lordvonbolt

Cool. Looks like everyone's down for all three raids, so I might as well merge the lists.

VoG + CE + KF - late afternoon/evening (EU time)
1. Ambitious
2. Zakalwe
3. Silvard
4. xuchu
5. lvb

I'm still stuck at work. Could we start between two hours from now and three hours from now?

Lima

Warlcoks are useful in the raid someone said :p

I will stand by that statement. They are useful to one cycle the opening when no one has supers yet and they add valuable DPS to your average team (read pretty much every team that is not these guys) for Aksis. Obviously my optimal team wouldn't have a dirty Warlock in there but gaming time is so limited for my regular peeps these days that I rarely get to play with them anyway.

One thing is for sure though. A Warlock is much more useful in the raid than the Outbreak Prime.

Eh, Outbreak Prime does have Sign of Four as a hidden perk and the mites do help a little, but eehhhh if you have OP chances are you have a Ghally, an exotic sword, a high impact triple tap sniper, and/or one of the raid primaries and/or are saving your primary slot for something that can 1-2 shot the shanks at 380+ so why the hell would you be using the OP anyway lol

Edit: I forgot about Sleeper... but that thing kills me more on freak accident ricochets more then dying to bombing adds/sudden bubbles/teammates walking in front of me though.
For Aksis, I had hung up my ghjallahorn for Sleeper. But as of last night... Sleeper is getting shelved because Dark Drinker is an even better option.

I will stand by that statement. They are useful to one cycle the opening when no one has supers yet and they add valuable DPS to your average team (read pretty much every team that is not these guys) for Aksis. Obviously my optimal team wouldn't have a dirty Warlock in there but gaming time is so limited for my regular peeps these days that I rarely get to play with them anyway.

One thing is for sure though. A Warlock is much more useful in the raid than the Outbreak Prime.

lol

For an exotic that takes so much work to get, it sure is underwhelming. A fun weapon to use nonetheless, it's great for patrols :p

ch4fx_

Like, ToM was easily the best thing for Oryx, but any other weapon worked fine as long as you were good.

It doesn't matter.

But you aren't being efficient enough unless you use this. /s

Some people just need to tell others what to do. Makes them feel like they know better. It's pretty fucking tiresome and sad.

Agreed. I find it super odd to belittle others for using something they like.

SlimySnake

People underestimate warlocks in pretty much every raid because they were useless in VoG and Crota's end.

But I have learned that Nova bombs are awesome and can be used to one shot captains in this raid.

In Oryx's Hard mode fight, I would equip my Nova bomb helmet and have a nova bomb ready for three out of the four ogres. Nova bombs took at least half of their health allowing me to move to the next ogre without shooting a single bullet. sometimes i would have a nova bomb for the vessel or the hard mode knights.

they also do 38k damage to the Aksis without a teather or weapons of light. so like 60k with weapons and teather. very effective for the final phase when hes down to 5% health.

For Aksis, I had hung up my ghjallahorn for Sleeper. But as of last night... Sleeper is getting shelved because Dark Drinker is an even better option.

lol this. I did over 3 million damage to aksis last night and only had the shock cannon once. Most of the time i had run out of heavy ammo by the time we got the weapons and tether up so it would have been well over 4 million if i had waited till the last phase.

oSoLucky

Weren't people saying that Stormcallers were great in this raid when it first released lol? What changed that?

Light level means using all available tools for dps on the boss instead of needing a super for adds/Captains. I still stand by a Praxic Fire Sunsinger being extremely underrated on Vosik/Aksis and Stormcaller being great on Death Machine. My Fusion Grenades hit for right around 20k each + a couple thousand from the burn + 15% extra damage on the boss for everyone. That's more than my Triple Tap 1KYS(since I use Raze-Lighter for the Captains and not Sleeper). If there's already WoL/Tether up then that's and a Sunbreaker punching are the only damage buffs left.

Also, VW is good for Death Machine if you'd rather go Ophidian/Obsidian and you can have perma Axion Bolts or Nova Bombs.

Mrcapcom

People underestimate warlocks in pretty much every raid because they were useless in VoG and Crota's end.

But I have learned that Nova bombs are awesome and can be used to one shot captains in this raid.

In Oryx's Hard mode fight, I would equip my Nova bomb helmet and have a nova bomb ready for three out of the four ogres. Nova bombs took at least half of their health allowing me to move to the next ogre without shooting a single bullet. sometimes i would have a nova bomb for the vessel or the hard mode knights.

they also do 38k damage to the Aksis without a teather or weapons of light. so like 60k with weapons and teather. very effective for the final phase when hes down to 5% health.

Whats more DPS the Nova bomb combo (whats the best load out) or Stormcaller? I want to get back into my Warlock

SpecX

Has anyone got a class item from this raid yet? Got the chest and helmet to go with my gauntlets and boots last night, but need the class item for that shader. I previewed the hard mode shader and can wait to get it.

hoggert

Stormtrance isn't bad for add clearing on Siege Engine.

Speaking of Aksis and Shanks... it still annoys me there's no crit spots on any variety of shank. Fuck them and minotaurs.

ch4fx_

Has anyone got a class item from this raid yet? Got the chest and helmet to go with my gauntlets and boots last night, but need the class item for that shader. I previewed the hard mode shader and can wait to get it.

Me personally, no :(. But I have noticed a few people on my friends list with the Hunters cloak, so I know it's out there.
somewhere.

Some people just need to tell others what to do. Makes them feel like they know better. It's pretty fucking tiresome and sad.

Its funny because this is like the most forgiving raid final boss so far in terms of dps. You can easily two cycle him (which my group did using the outbreak prime yesterday) but there's 4 pillars that you can use, aka 5 chances at dps. But hey if you use a certain gun you are an idiot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weren't people saying that Stormcallers were great in this raid when it first released lol? What changed that?

Nothing changed. It's a running joke to make fun of warlocks as a class, some people take it too seriously.

Also, use whatever guns you like and whatever strategy you prefer. It's a video game, have fun.

Whats more DPS the Nova bomb combo (whats the best load out) or Stormcaller? I want to get back into my Warlock

Voidwalker is good for the Archpriest. Stormcaller for Zamboni.

Final boss you can run stormcaller to clear captains and adds, or stay sunsinger to buff the damage with viking funeral.

That's just being optimum, you could run whatever you like tbh...the raid is easy there is nothing that you absolutely need to have in order to be successful.

GorillaJu

IMO it's not really about DPS so much as it is about utility. Stormcaller clears adds during the Zamboni, Voidwalker can nova bomb captains in Aksis phase 1/2.

Any class can use swords and gjallahorns and shit so in the end it really doesn't matter.

They seem to be the rarest slot from my raid group's experience.

I've only gotten the hunter cloak to drop so far. But I've been pretty lucky in getting all the other normal armor for three characters so I'm not complaining. I'll be replacing all this normal gear anyway.

SlimySnake

tbh i dont know. I never used the stormcaller for this raid because it basically locks you up for 30 seconds. where as, a nova bomb is like a 1 second super that takes out enemies fast and leaves you free to throw bombs, do DPS to the bosses, carry stuff etc.

it's why i use fist of havoc in this raid if we have another titan on the team. takes out captains in one hit and lets me get in an easy 50k hit during the dps phase or whenever he teleports next to me when i am empowered.

JJShadow

I got the Titan's class item last week, only thing I'm missing it's the helmet. I know most people don't like the raid gear, but I freaking love how the whole armour set looks on my Titan

Hold up, so you can use your sword on Aksis?
I've never seen anyone do it in any of the groups I've raided with so I never considered it.

Yes you can, and you don't even need to be on top of him, just hit him on the legs for some nice critical damage

Top Bottom