• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Hold up, so you can use your sword on Aksis?
I've never seen anyone do it in any of the groups I've raided with so I never considered it.
I think I saw that a full clip of Dark Drinker does almost 500k damage. That's real. I want to try it out, will definitely be my next heavy weapon to level.

Axoman

I do hope 400 is a crawl to get to. I think all but the very very very last piece of content should be somewhat attainable at a steady pace but the last 1% should be the real grind. I want CM to be 410 solid and us to always be "underleveled" for it. Keep the difficulty and make the loot something great to chase.

I for one, do not prefer this at all. Forced under level is cheap and not fun.

If you want to make it harder, just dismantle any gear you get over 389 moving forward. That way you'll always be under leveled and make it harder for yourself.

I think I saw that a full clip of Dark Drinker does almost 500k damage. That's real. I want to try it out, will definitely be my next heavy weapon to level.

Yeah dark drinker is almost twice any other weapon (Gally, exotic solar sword or stimulant).

I wonder if it's a "glitch" because he had many legs so each spin of the sword hits him twice, whereas presumably the per spin DPS is set assuming each target is hit once.

Datto shows that you can get a slight damage buff from the solar sword because you can do a main hit on his body but also a glancing blow on his leg. (An extra 2k per leg stroke).

I don't know if there are many dark drinkers out there...but a fireteam of 6 would absolutely melt him.

Edit -hadnt noticed that the sword name and poster name AND topic aligned so nicely. Dark (drinker) is the way indeed.

A full clip of Dark-Drinker does more damage than Sleeper Simulant. I love using my Warlock in this raid, Stormtrance is great for clearing adds and killing captains.

Vic_Viper

Anyone know why there is a quest marker on Shiro but when talking to him nothing happens? Just started yesterday and I already picked up his weekly plaugelands mission.

Mrgamer

Awesome. I'm gonna create separate lists, in case anyone would rather just run one or two of them.

Vault of Glass - late afternoon/evening (EU time)
1. Ambitious
2. Zakalwe

Crota's End - late afternoon/evening (EU time)
1. Ambitious
2. Zakalwe

King's Fall - late afternoon/evening (EU time)
1. Ambitious
2. Zakalwe

Im down for it psn v1br4t1ons

Anyone know why there is a quest marker on Shiro but when talking to him nothing happens? Just started yesterday and I already picked up his weekly plaugelands mission.

Are you doing the Thorn quest? This happened to me when I was doing that quest. It went away once I finished it.

SpecX

Me personally, no :(. But I have noticed a few people on my friends list with the Hunters cloak, so I know it's out there.
somewhere.

They seem to be the rarest slot from my raid group's experience.

I've only gotten the hunter cloak to drop so far. But I've been pretty lucky in getting all the other normal armor for three characters so I'm not complaining. I'll be replacing all this normal gear anyway.

Now that you mentioned it, I looked at my Hunter's inventory and have the cloak. Maybe this is dropping more than on the other classes?

I got the Titan's class item last week, only thing I'm missing it's the helmet. I know most people don't like the raid gear, but I freaking love how the whole armour set looks on my Titan

Lucky! Same here. I love the look on my Titan, way better than VoG and the Hive raid armor sets. I'm wondering if the HM set will look different or will it just be a different color with a "Harrowed" like name in front.

ocean

Banned
I used Dark Drinker in my last run and it was the most fun I've ever had in that fight. During the first stun I'd shoot Aksis with my primary (Raid Scout Rifle), then snipe him during second stun, and then used Dark Drinker during third stun.

I ended up doing 2 million damage without ever shooting a cannon. I don't think Dark Drinker is minmax optimal for that fight but it's really freaking fun so whatever. Not like this fight is hard enough to require very specific loadouts, go with whatever feels more fun for you.

Hold up, so you can use your sword on Aksis?
I've never seen anyone do it in any of the groups I've raided with so I never considered it.
Can confirm. It does an insane amount of damage. We had two swords being used on each 3rd teleport phase. Final boss is easy mode.

Not to mention it's a lot of fun to use. Spinning Aksis to death is a good time.

ocean

Banned
Light level means using all available tools for dps on the boss instead of needing a super for adds/Captains. I still stand by a Praxic Fire Sunsinger being extremely underrated on Vosik/Aksis and Stormcaller being great on Death Machine. My Fusion Grenades hit for right around 20k each + a couple thousand from the burn + 15% extra damage on the boss for everyone. That's more than my Triple Tap 1KYS(since I use Raze-Lighter for the Captains and not Sleeper). If there's already WoL/Tether up then that's and a Sunbreaker punching are the only damage buffs left.

Also, VW is good for Death Machine if you'd rather go Ophidian/Obsidian and you can have perma Axion Bolts or Nova Bombs.

If you wanna spam Fusion Grenades, Starfire Protocol is better than Praxic Fire btw. You'll be able to chuck 2-3 more grenades assuming Tier 5 Discipline if I recall correctly, and you get proper Special/Heavy ammo perks.

I used Dark Drinker in my last run and it was the most fun I've ever had in that fight. During the first stun I'd shoot Aksis with my primary (Raid Scout Rifle), then snipe him during second stun, and then used Dark Drinker during third stun.

I ended up doing 2 million damage without ever shooting a cannon. I don't think Dark Drinker is minmax optimal for that fight but it's really freaking fun so whatever. Not like this fight is hard enough to require very specific loadouts, go with whatever feels more fun for you.

I always use Razelighter, might have to take out the Dark Drinker. Way more fun to use.

ocean

Banned
I always use Razelighter, might have to take out the Dark Drinker. Way more fun to use.

I always used Raze - and tbh it's far more reliable vs. Captains. R2 attack would either kill a Captain or leave him with a silver of health (an R1 attack) away from death. Whereas with Dark I'd occasionally whiff damage and need 2-3 R2 attacks.

But once you stand in front of Aksis? Mygoodness it's too good. Specially once I figured out that since there's no crit I have no reason to wait for a stun. If I'm right side and he teleports right, I can start swording him right away even before the empowered guy slams him. If I run out of ammo before he teleports out again I'll just whip out sniper and keep up the DPS.

But yeah the only heavy weapons I'd even consider for Aksis are Raze and Dark. Nothing else makes sense to me.

vex_sivaclast__by_destinywarlock-dakt73h.png

http://destinywarlock.deviantart.com/art/VEX-SIVACLAST-639616301

I need this in my life. Who's in charge?

You can use a sword on aksis during the damage phases (although empowered people should not hang around) but don't use it when he jumps up at 1%, I tried blading him at the end and he killed me :( we had more than enough DPS for other people to kill him, but I imagine if everyone went up to sword him it would be a wipe.

Datto did some math apparently and dark drinker does nearly 50% more overall damage than raze on aksis due to multiple body parts, although raze would do more on captains.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/56t4w7/dattos_video_on_comparing_swords_vs_sleeper/

I still prefer raze for captains since R2 on drinker pushes t hem away and you need two swings, whereas with raze at 385+ you can 1 shot solar captains with a single R2 (R2 + R1 for other captains). Also equip the RoI artifact that lets you block better with a sword, the artifact also increases your sword ammo.

Mindlog

If you wanna spam Fusion Grenades, Starfire Protocol is better than Praxic Fire btw. You'll be able to chuck 2-3 more grenades assuming Tier 5 Discipline if I recall correctly, and you get proper Special/Heavy ammo perks.
I infused my Starfire for the same use. The primary benefit is being able to sprinkle in grenades through the first two damage phases.

Reached ~2.5m with a few cannon shots and Dark Drinker. This was my first attempt using the combo so all in all it went pretty well. Lots of room for optimizing.

Hedgey

Been sitting in Archon's Forge for about 40 minutes, did two offerings by myself (just fused) and DAAAMN is it hard by yourself. I was constantly getting denied axes and the waves took quite a bit longer than usual.

Lee

Ahk4rQJ.png

Giving away an extra code for this emblem to one of you lovely people.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1286480.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lee, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Heart of the Foundation Emblem Code -- MB-686EBD616BE890A8 - Taken by vin-buc. 32 entrants total.

t1476299359z1.png

I run raze lighter as well. So good for getting captains down. Then my 1kys and raid scout or hung jury for the first 2 teleport. Then to all out with sword for final. Pop synth whilst on platform then repeat

eggydoo

I always used Raze - and tbh it's far more reliable vs. Captains. R2 attack would either kill a Captain or leave him with a silver of health (an R1 attack) away from death. Whereas with Dark I'd occasionally whiff damage and need 2-3 R2 attacks.

Not sure what LL you are but it only takes one R2 for me with Dark Drinker to take down the captain. I am 378 and my Dark Drink is 379.

Arrrammis

I have been running Raze Lighter, but after watching Datto's video on the swords against Aksis, I might finally finish the dark drinker quest (just need the final strike, maybe do that this evening). Does more damage than sleeper simulant and ~100k more than Raze Lighter, definitely worth a shot.

I know Gaf kinda hates Datto for his attitude, but I still really appreciate how technical and in-depth he goes into testing for this kind of video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBa5XNliXE

Yeah dark drinker is almost twice any other weapon (Gally, exotic solar sword or stimulant).

I wonder if it's a "glitch" because he had many legs so each spin of the sword hits him twice, whereas presumably the per spin DPS is set assuming each target is hit once.

Datto shows that you can get a slight damage buff from the solar sword because you can do a main hit on his body but also a glancing blow on his leg. (An extra 2k per leg stroke).

I don't know if there are many dark drinkers out there...but a fireteam of 6 would absolutely melt him.

Edit -hadnt noticed that the sword name and poster name AND topic aligned so nicely. Dark (drinker) is the way indeed.
LOL.

JJShadow

If anyone needs a hand or some guidance/sherpa'ing with the raid (or just needs to fill a spot) this afternoon let me know, I'll be available to help

PSN is JJShadow77

I infused my Starfire for the same use. The primary benefit is being able to sprinkle in grenades through the first two damage phases.

Reached ~2.5m with a few cannon shots and Dark Drinker. This was my first attempt using the combo so all in all it went pretty well. Lots of room for optimizing.
2.5 million is incredible. Hard Mode is going to require a jump in DPS and this might be the best way to get it.

Kalamari

Bungie is deathly afraid of letting players have a PDX with Perfect Balance, CounterBalance, and Rifled Barrel. More afraid than talking to girls that aren't their anime pillows.

the wrong people

Raze lighter everything.

I heard something about the Void exotic sword doing more dps than Raze lighter, lemme see if I can find it.

Ruze789

Which weapons should I go back and try to get, to be a useful player moving forward?

All this talk of Raze Lighter and Dark Drinker is making me see I should do those.

I had a decent amount of Year 1 Exotics but never got any raid weapons, and didn't play anything past TDB until RoI came out. I breezed through the story/ main quest stuff just to get to RoI.

I am currently getting the Y3 Gjallarhorn, I know that's always useful.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which weapons should I go back and try to get, to be a useful player moving forward?

All this talk of Raze Lighter and Dark Drinker is making me see I should do those.

I had a decent amount of Year 1 Exotics but never got any raid weapons, and didn't play anything past TDB until RoI came out. I breezed through the story/ main quest stuff just to get to RoI.

I am currently getting the Y3 Gjallarhorn, I know that's always useful.

Most year 1 raid gear is useless due to light level cap. As for Year 2 exotics:

- Raze Lighter for captains
- Dark Drinker for Aksis
- Gjallahorn for all bosses
- Black Spindle for all bosses
- Sleeper Cell for all bosses
- Tlaloc if you like playing as a Sunsinger warlock
- No Time To Explain is great as well

All these weapons can be gotten doing their specific quests. Sword quests will take you like 4-6 hours though. Black Spindle is probably the easiest to get.

There are others great weapons like Zhalo, Mida and Hawkmoon that will drop from exotic engrams.

Top Bottom