• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Woah! :D

We made it in two attempts (first one was a test run) and in less than 20 minutes. Azolith, BLCKATK, Xion385, RichieS99, thank you for your help!

Leveling from 359 to 365, and knowing what to do definitely made it lot easier.

Also, thank you again Pandora, Raven and molnizzle for your patience and help teaching me the mechanics of Aksis the other day!

Couldn't be happier right now!

If both players are Empowered the one switching will grab the cannon and go thus making the non-empowered player where the player is switching to a Siva thrower.

Isn't that more complicated than having the empowered cannoneer move in the case of a double-up? The cannoneers frequently have to leave their side to kill their servitor anyway.

GRIP

Does anyone know if keeping a vanguard streak affects the Skeleton Key drop rate? Technically it is a legendary item.

I don't think it has any impact on that since the keys don't drop as legendary engrams.

And for anyone struggling with getting keys to drop, run the 320 playlist. In my experience (and it seems a few youtubers agree) they drop much more frequently.

X-Frame

For those that are using their Empowered to recharge teammate supers -- to confirm they need to reach the Servitor plate BEFORE the person slams Aksis?

Geez that seems incredibly tight in terms of time.

I guess you can position yourself to stand closer to the Servitor plate to get their quick as long as you're confident you can still reach Aksis.

We made it in two attempts (first one was a test run) and in less than 20 minutes. Azolith, BLCKATK, Xion385, RichieS99, thank you for your help!

Also, thank you again Pandora, Raven and molnizzle for your patience and help teaching me the mechanics of Aksis the other day!

Congrats

Isn't that more complicated than having the empowered cannoneer move in the case of a double-up? The cannoneers frequently have to leave their side to kill their servitor anyway.

I'm not following what you're getting at.

What I'm saying is, if both players in a position (left, mid, right) are Empowered the one who was designated to switch will take the cannon from that starting position and kill the corresponding servitor and then go to the position where there was not an Empowered player.

Basically if you are staying home (in your designated starting area - left, mid, right), Empowered or not (same position both players Empowered scenario) you will be responsible for throwing the Siva charge. In the perfect scenario it will be split with an Empowered on left, mid, and right from the get go allowing the Empowered to always throw and the non-empowered to grab the cannon.

This has been the general standard method, well, at least in my experience of keeping things organized and allowing players to know their roles given how situations can be flipped in an instant.

Raven117

Congratulations!!!! That first clear is really the biggest hurdle.

Just have first time players use Gally or Sleeper Cell. The experienced guy can run sword and will be the one to run canon and move if both are empowered.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Ran the raid four times, beat it twice... that's enough for me. But moreover, it's probably enough for my teammates as I absolutely suck at it. I'm not going near the heroic mode.

I'm not following what you're getting at.[...]

Ah; I'm used to the three highest-light doing the cannoning to maximize DPS, so ball-throwing and cannon-shooting are fixed roles throughout the fight; if two are empowered on a side then the person with the cannon becomes responsible for the uncovered spot.

Ah; I'm used to the three highest-light doing the cannoning to maximize DPS, so ball-throwing and cannon-shooting are fixed roles throughout the fight; if two are empowered on a side then the person with the cannon becomes responsible for the uncovered spot.

This is exactly what I'm saying.

Regarding cannons and DPS phase, usually players just drop the cannons in the middle of the arena and players pick them up and use them during the third and last DPS phase of each round.

I think this is the simplest setup for the fight.

We'll see how it pans out tomorrow but designated roles are typically best for raid bosses.

The true final boss, being able to course correct without coming off as a dick.

I struggle with this every time. I try to not go TOO in depth with the explanations and keep it simple, and take the more complicated mechanics on myself.

As for Silvards comment: I usually toss mine there because of how much I end up moving during the fight.

JJShadow

Ran the raid four times, beat it twice... that's enough for me. But moreover, it's probably enough for my teammates as I absolutely suck at it. I'm not going near the heroic mode.

Firsts raid clears are always difficult, I remember I completely sucked in my first raid attempts, constantly doing silly mistakes. As long as you raid with a nice group (this is, with GAFers), don't worry about doing mistakes, just enjoy it and you will become eventually better just by doing it over and over again

Yeah, my groups have always followed the fixed-role strategy as well, I find it less error-prone. If you assign the roles depending on who is Empowered, it becomes a bit of a chaos when no one is Empowered on your side

With the fixed-role strategy, if you're empowered and cannon-holder at the same time you have plenty of time to kill the Servitor and go back to your place thanks to that speed boost

This is exactly what I'm saying.

Except with your method the empowered status determines who picks up the cannon or not— unless I'm misreading —which was the thing I was trying to comment on originally.

Regarding cannons and DPS phase, usually players just drop the cannons in the middle of the arena and players pick them up and use them during the third and last DPS phase of each round.

I know that that's common, but I just keep it with me so I can shoot it on the way to any WoL bubble; it's easy to keep track of. Getting it to the middle and then myself there to get one again just adds to the chaos.

Hedgey

I've gotten 28 new followers on my Twitch over the past two weeks. Thank you so much to everyone that has checked out my stream for Trials! I hope to see more and more of you.

I'll be streaming again tonight around 6PM EST if anyone is interested in a Trials carry/funrun.

www.twitch.tv/hedgey

<3

First, someone wishing that an item dropped more frequently is hardly acting entitled. The mere act of asking for something doesn't mean you are acting entitled.

Second of all, the worst justification for something is that it's "always been that way". Well, why can't things improve? When Destiny came out, drops weren't guaranteed at the end of strikes. Then Bungie improved strikes by giving us guaranteed loot. Was this a mistake because, previously, it had never been that way? That's just silly.

I don't think it's entitlement, just people thinking a new mechanic (skeleton key) would make things a bit easier. For some, it will be...Just play a bunch, and eventually you will get a key, and eventually you will get the item you want. BUT, for those who don't mind a bit of a grind, it will be harder. No running the strike over and over to almost guarantee that item in one play session.

Saying the key should be a guaranteed drop for each nightfall on top of rewards isn't entitlement? Well damn. The verbiage was specific.

Improvement is always welcome. But how would you improve this without just giving the strike loot away? In my experience nightfall has an increased drop rate for keys. Same as strike specific loot before keys came around. The risk/reward system is there for a reason. Is it perfect? Nope. But it functions well. And this is coming from someone whose done taniks over 100 times in heroic and didn't see his cloak until he finally showed up in nightfall again some 40-something weeks later. Trust me, keys would've made my day. Keys already make it all easier and to demand that they be given.....cmon.

Silvard

Because there is a 50% chance Aksis will teleport to the middle for third DPS phase.

You can concentrate your buffs in a single spot and still hit him on the left or right.

I struggle with this every time. I try to not go TOO in depth with the explanations and keep it simple, and take the more complicated mechanics on myself.

As for Silvards comment: I usually toss mine there because of how much I end up moving during the fight.

Yeah but can't you just move with your cannon instead?

Yeah but can't you just move with your cannon instead?
I primary to DPS the boss before the third teleport and have been guilty of losing track if I drop it anywhere but the middle. Especially if I'm DPSing while he's say front mid, I'm empowered rear, do the slam then have to rotate. Simpler for me - I run with a few guys that keep theirs all the time and it works for them. Just not for me.

Except with your method the empowered status determines who picks up the cannon or not&#8212; unless I'm misreading &#8212;which was the thing I was trying to comment on originally.

I know that that's common, but I just keep it with me so I can shoot it on the way to any WoL bubble; it's easy to keep track of. Getting it to the middle and then myself there to get one again just adds to the chaos.

Yes, in a normal round (Empowered left, mid, and right) the Empowered will throw Siva charge and the other player will be on cannon/servitor duty.

When both players are Empowered in one position an Empowered player will have to pick up the cannon, kill servitor, and go to position that lacked an Empowered player.

Regarding dropping the cannons, I guess it is debatable whether or not it is worthwhile to DPS during the first two teleporting phases (I say yes it is). Generally you are going to have your Tethers and WoL during the third/last DPS phase which is when you want to use the cannons so if you are holding onto them you are either using them at not the most effective time or are not DPSing with a high impact sniper/RL, etc during the first two teleports.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Firsts raid clears are always difficult, I remember I completely sucked in my first raid attempts, constantly doing silly mistakes. As long as you raid with a nice group (this is, with GAFers), don't worry about doing mistakes, just enjoy it and you will become eventually better just by doing it over and over again

Oh, the groups have been great. Just not fun for me either. And if we can get to 400 without raid, I'm fine with never going near it again.

I primary to DPS the boss before the third teleport and have been guilty of losing track if I drop it anywhere but the middle. Especially if I'm DPSing while he's say front mid, I'm empowered rear, do the slam then have to rotate. Simpler for me - I run with a few guys that keep theirs all the time and it works for them. Just not for me.

Guilty. It's my canon and I take it everywhere. I'll put it down sometimes, but then pick it up again before moving.

Last night I had to do two canons, so I did drop one in the middle, and went back for the other. I don't think anyone ever picked up the middle one.

Regarding dropping the cannons[...]

I'll drop it and use a sniper— I just drop it and then pick it up again when it's time to move.

I will use the cannon during the first two phases when running Sunsinger— fusion grenade/viking funeral spam radiance with a sword does really well in the last phase. Feels like this does more damage than sniping for two phases and cannon + spam in the last phase, but I haven't run the numbers. Look forward to multiple radiances when people get better at reliably hitting the supercharge.

Got DDoS'ed with a 7-0 no mercy card...people sure do take the lighthouse seriously...

I feel like I got DOS'd last night— in the middle of a fun-only bounty
always-scrubby
run, in the middle of a match in which they were moping the floor with us through excellent and aggressive fusion rifling. A DOS would make no sense, except that my Xbox is on its own IP from the rest of the house (and other Xbox)— every thing else stayed up (including other console playing Destiny), but I got kicked out of party-chat, Destiny, my XBox couldn't talk to licensing servers, etc. Reboots didn't fix it, but moving it behind my firewall did.

Oh, the groups have been great. Just not fun for me either. And if we can get to 400 without raid, I'm fine with never going near it again.

If it's a hard 400 LL cap then it might be a little time consuming with a little RNG luck trying to get to a 400 LL but still very doable.

If it's a soft 400 LL cap (meaning gear will drop 2-3 LL above 400) then it will be easier and less time consuming considering you could say make up for having a 397 Ghost by having a 402 primary and 401 leg armor, for example.

There are two accomplishments in the Rise of Iron Record Book that are tied directly to the Hard Mode WOTM raid and/or Challenge Mode. So if completing the book is important to you, you will have to give it a go.

Edit: Actually there is a whole page of accomplishments that will require running the raid multiple times now that I think about it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Datto's Black Spindle results are in for Aksis.

0fAGfeQ.jpg

It's your best option if you dont have dark drinker and obviously arent on cannon duty.

It's crazy how 3 Dark Drinkers and 3 Cannons can potentially do nearly 4.5 million damage to aksis in just the dps phase. You can easily beat him in under 2 phases.

DD has to be the preferred weapon for hard mode raids in the first week or so.

Vic_Viper

Finally finished the Thorn Quest and also got a 365 ghost! That took forever lol. Got a really cool chest piece for my Warlock too called the Starfire Protocol.

Deku Tree

0fAGfeQ.jpg

It's your best option if you dont have dark drinker and obviously arent on cannon duty.

It's crazy how 3 Dark Drinkers and 3 Cannons can potentially do nearly 4.5 million damage to aksis in just the dps phase. You can easily beat him in under 2 phases.

OMG Dark Drinker FTW

Searching for two people with whom to finish my Trials of Osiris ticket. I have five wins and one loss. I really want to finish it before the reset. I'm light level 362, PS4.

JJShadow

If someone needs that last minute Aksys kill before tomorrow's reset I'll be available to help for the next 2-3 hours, just throw me an invite

PSN is JJShadow77

I'll drop it and use a sniper&#8212; I just drop it and then pick it up again when it's time to move.

I will use the cannon during the first two phases when running Sunsinger&#8212; fusion grenade/viking funeral spam radiance with a sword does really well in the last phase. Feels like this does more damage than sniping for two phases and cannon + spam in the last phase, but I haven't run the numbers. Look forward to multiple radiances when people get better at reliably hitting the supercharge.

Ultimately, there are more than one way to do this encounter successfully and I certainly don't want to come off as "this way or that way being the best and only way," well, other than slicing and dicing the captains, that is.

Whatever works best/most efficient for each fireteam is what they should go with.

Pics_nao

Fucking fuck, man. Shadow Thief is such a good fucking song. Hate walkers so much but I love running this strike just to hear that fucking music.

LifEndz

0fAGfeQ.jpg

Dark Drinker and weapons of light for the win.

platocplx

On Aksis, Anyone employing a strategy where the people with cannons are the empowered guardians? Seems like it could solve the issue of not having people positioned to slam into aksis's back.

Top Bottom