• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Zocano

Really tho it's gotta stop. Its impacting my enjoyability of the game now. My biggest issue is everyone was fine with cosmetics being micro transactions. But look what they did with ornaments. They will..well they already have put some of the best looking items behind pay walls. This is an issue that must be talked about more. And then you add the fucking rng factor to the micro transactions.

The second they see it's successful to make light cosmetics microtransactions, they will make the infrastructure to make more and more shit cosmetic applicable. That's why the ornaments happened. It makes perfect sense business wise especially when the playerbases generally are more accepting of any sort of cosmetic monetization. Just look at Overwatch. I think the lootbox system is fucking garbage exploitative shit and will never spend a dollar on it but people it eat up and consider it, largely, acceptable. Welcome to the AAA space.

The second they see it's successful to make light cosmetics microtransactions, they will make the infrastructure to make more and more shit cosmetic applicable. That's why the ornaments happened. It makes perfect sense business wise especially when the playerbases generally are more accepting of any sort of cosmetic monetization. Just look at Overwatch. I think the lootbox system is fucking garbage exploitative shit and will never spend a dollar on it but people it eat up and consider it, largely, acceptable. Welcome to the AAA space.
There's still time to send a message to Bungie. But the window is closing fast and when I mean fast like there's only like a little light peaking through the darkness and there's no Traveler here to save us.

This isNot being an alarmist.

Number45

I have zero issues with them putting the best looking cosmetic items behind a paywall - but I do take issue with having to pay for a CHANCE at that item. Until they do something about that, my additional investment in the game will be minimal (basically only when I know I will be paying for something that I want).

GhaleonEB

Great raid run, thanks for inviting me. It took a bit to get going but when we cracked the last boss, we cracked it good. I went up five levels from all the loot.

I'm officially scared for destiny 2 and how the micro transactions will work. Every event since silver launched has pushed the boundary more and more. The community proceeds to just roll over and take it.

The "live team's events* have been horse shit. Don't try to justifie they have been. This current event feels like a fundraiser for a fundraiser.
I've objected pretty loudly to what they did with several of the past events, and with features like chroma. But I'm not even aware of what you have to spend money on for Festival of the Lost - haven't been to Eververse - and I've been having a hoot with it every day working on quests since it came out. The broom is awesome.

I have zero issues with them putting the best looking cosmetic items behind a paywall - but I do take issue with having to pay for a CHANCE at that item. Until they do something about that, my additional investment in the game will be minimal (basically only when I know I will be paying for something that I want).
I have a huge issue with both. Ornaments/silver dust are a garbage system. I haven't even gone into the fact we only get one shot a week at them for free. Compared to earlier in the year for 3 boxes.

Great raid run, thanks for inviting me. It took a bit to get going but when we cracked the last boss, we cracked it good. I went up five levels from all the loot.

I've objected pretty loudly to what they did with several of the past events, and with features like chroma. But I'm not even aware of what you have to spend money on for Festival of the Lost - haven't been to Eververse - and I've been having a hoot with it every day working on quests since it came out. The broom is awesome.
Cant disagree with the broom. To bad it's only for the duration of the event.
This Reddit post explains Bungies aggression with micro transactions well and the differences between FoTL 2016 and 2015. It's a good read.

I'm not sure about the hoot with quests since they're pretty standard small stuff like super standard. Remember last years jumping off the tower with Atheon's mask? I feel like the fun was taken out of this years FoTL.
The broom and the raisin quest are my highlights and only one can stay with you.

kidko

No problem!

1. Helmster
2. Suichitwilight13
3. Kidklovius
4. Djice9

Looking for 2 more for normal mode, doing monitors.

Sorry, yes, that's the one I was replying to. If you've got room I'd love to join.

This was a super great raid group. Helmster was a patient and well spoken leader and everyone was cool about me learning the mechanics for the first time. I had a blast; great way to start off a birthday! Thanks!

Number45

I have a huge issue with both. Ornaments/silver dust are a garbage system. I haven't even gone into the fact we only get one shot a week at them for free. Compared to earlier in the year for 3 boxes.
They need money to support a game that requires infrastructure to support, but doesn't charge a subscription fee. Is it ALL micro-transactions that you take issue with, or in this case just because it's locking content that you specifically want behind further payments?

I'm always amazed and impressed at games that don't charge subscription fees yet continue to provide infrastructure and new content. If they need get people to pay money for hats in the process I don't see a problem with that. Frankly they could charge a million silver for cosmetic items and I would see no issue with it.

Pay to win stuff I can understand the apprehension, but not for purely cosmetic items.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, Destiny has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment for the same cost as other games that might have given me just a fraction of that. Even including expansions it's the best value game I've played possibly ever.

They need money to support a game that requires infrastructure to support, but doesn't charge a subscription fee. Is it ALL micro-transactions that you take issue with, or in this case just because it's locking content that you specifically want behind further payments?

I'm always amazed and impressed at games that don't charge subscription fees yet continue to provide infrastructure and new content. If they need get people to pay money for hats in the process I don't see a problem with that. Frankly they could charge a million silver for cosmetic items and I would see no issue with it.

Pay to win stuff I can understand the apprehension, but not for purely cosmetic items.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, Destiny has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment for the same cost as other games that might have given me just a fraction of that. Even including expansions it's the best value game I've played possibly ever.
They got money from dlcs. New content as in reusing the same areas and armor? They have ways to pay for this game. This isn't Bungie's first rodeo in game development. Personally that's an excuse and not a reason. If Bungie was truly worried about not having money to run this game. Micro-transactions would've been there from the start. Tho maybe I'm giving to much credit to Bungie here considering how much of a fiasco this game has been since before it launched.

I have an issue with how aggressive the micro-transactions have become in Destiny and how it doesn't look like it's slowing down anytime in the near future. Just cause it's "cosmestics" now doesn't mean it will remain that way forever. Also I wanna point out there's also rep boosters now which aren't cosmetics. And Bungie slowed down the rate at which you lvl up subclasses and got rid of NF booster. Tho this is minor for me considering rep booster aren't hard to come by for now.

Let's go with discussing locking content behind paywalls that I want. So we spend money on these emotes and shit for these "events". Is it right for them to put Y2 masks behind a paywall? You only have 3 chances to get them for free. That's it. Now you have to pay for Y2 masks to get the rest and plus the ghosts/sparrow. Basically choking off the purpose of the event itself.

Not to sound harsh here, but I really could careless how many hours you've played this game. That shouldn't stop the game and developer from being criticized when they're being anti-consumer

Number45

Not to sound harsh here, but I really could careless how many hours you've played this game. That shouldn't stop the game and developer from being criticized when they're being anti-consumer
I'm just stating why I have no issue with these micro transactions - I understand that they need money to keep delivering the game and that they're not getting it from subs. What other games provide this but don't use them? Serious question, I'm not sure - Diablo is an example I can think of, but that's it.

I can't agree that something you need take zero notice of is aggressive either. I concede on the rep boosters (and some of the packages that contain items that can be infused) and I stated that in my original post.

I'm just stating why I have no issue with these micro transactions - I understand that they need money to keep delivering the game and that they're not getting it from subs. What other games provide this but don't use them? Serious question, I'm not sure - Diablo is an example I can think of, but that's it.

I can't agree that something you need take zero notice of is aggressive either. I concede on the rep boosters (and some of the packages that contain items that can be infused) and I stated that in my original post.

Im not talking about other games. I'm talking about Destiny. So it's ok for them to make an event worse then last years? It's fine that we spent our money for these events. Yet they're worse then what we got last year. Clearly we're at an impasse, but I really don't think your giving good points on how Bungie is handling these micro transactions in a good way.

If people want to pay for pretty stuff I don't have too much of a problem with it. It's certainly annoying, but it's still all just cosmetics afaik.

I sure want ghost ghost, but I'm not paying a penny simply for a chance to possibly get it.

TP-DK

Cant disagree with the broom. To bad it's only for the duration of the event.
This Reddit post explains Bungies aggression with micro transactions well and the differences between FoTL 2016 and 2015. It's a good read.

I'm not sure about the hoot with quests since they're pretty standard small stuff like super standard. Remember last years jumping off the tower with Atheon's mask? I feel like the fun was taken out of this years FoTL.
The broom and the raisin quest are my highlights and only one can stay with you.

What is the raisin quest?

What is the raisin quest?
Start this quest you need a Tiny Box of Raisins. You get this from the beginning quest of FOTL from Eva Levante. Eris Morn will then give you a Tiny Box of Raisins instead of Candy like everyone else.
Step 2: Take the "Tiny Box of Raisins" to The Speaker. He will let you combine the "Tiny Box of Raisins" and 25 Motes to make "Ascendant Raisins". (This step can be skipped if you already had a Ascendant Raisins because you kept your old "Tiny Box of Raisins" from last year.)
Step 3: Take the "Ascendant Raisins" to Zavala and he will let you trade it for "Salted Sweets".
Step 4: Take the "Salted Sweets" to Master Rahool (Cryptarch) and he will let you trade it for "Winged Chew".
Step 5: Take the "Winged Chew" to Amanda Holiday and she will let you trade them for "Splice Drops".
Step 6: Take the "Splice Drops" to Cayde-6 and he will let you trade them for "Unchocolate".
Step 7: Take the "Unchocolate" to Eris Morn and she will give you a "Bag of Treats"
Step 8: Open the "Bag of Treats" and receive your new "Superblack" Shader and your delicious "Piece of Celery"
*stolen from reddit*

Number45

Im not talking about other games. I'm talking about Destiny. So it's ok for them to make an event worse then last years? It's fine that we spent our money for these events. Yet they're worse then what we got last year. Clearly we're at an impasse, but I really don't think your giving good points on how Bungie is handling these micro transactions in a good way.
My initial comment was that I have zero issues with micro transactions for cosmetic items. Aside from disagreeing that they're positioned aggressively (the only point at which I'd agree with that is that Eververse is always front and centre when you go to the vendor sections of the site/app) I'm not blanket defending them at all. If I logged in each week to be blasted with huge amounts of messages related to Eververse it would piss me off no end, but that doesn't happen.

I can login daily without feeling any impact of the micro transactions. I only know they exist from week to week because I get one as a reward for doing something that I'm going to do anyway for marks.

If I see someone wearing something cool I'll check out what it might cost me and if I feel like paying it I will. If I find I only have a chance at that item, then I won't go any further.

I'm enjoying Festival of the Lost. I don't recall it being significantly better than this last year - I guess the fact that you're not getting masks as drops is what you're talking about? It should be pretty clear that I'm not too fussed about the cosmetic stuff by now.

hitlerat

Hey Guys,

I´m doing Outbreak Prime quest (the part I need tuning the engine for the first time)

Is it possible to do that with people that already did that? Because all my friends already completed the quest and Im wondering if I will need to find other people to help.

Thanks

My initial comment was that I have zero issues with micro transactions for cosmetic items. Aside from disagreeing that they're positioned aggressively (the only point at which I'd agree with that is that Eververse is always front and centre when you go to the vendor sections of the site/app) I'm not blanket defending them at all. If I logged in each week to be blasted with huge amounts of messages related to Eververse it would piss me off no end, but that doesn't happen.

I can login daily without feeling any impact of the micro transactions. I only know they exist from week to week because I get one as a reward for doing something that I'm going to do anyway for marks.

If I see someone wearing something cool I'll check out what it might cost me and if I feel like paying it I will. If I find I only have a chance at that item, then I won't go any further.

I'm enjoying Festival of the Lost. I don't recall it being significantly better than this last year - I guess the fact that you're not getting masks as drops is what you're talking about? It should be pretty clear that I'm not too fussed about the cosmetic stuff by now.
Mask are a major part of the event so yeah.....just because you don't care about cosmetic items doesn't mean it's not a valid point. In year one you could get all the masks, but the blue skull with no money. Now you can't. How is that not worse?

There's one major thing that would appease me is the return of smart loot. But Bungie would never do that, cause that would mean less money for them.

Jabronium

Hey Guys,

I´m doing Outbreak Prime quest (the part I need tuning the engine for the first time)

Is it possible to do that with people that already did that? Because all my friends already completed the quest and Im wondering if I will need to find other people to help.

Thanks

Yes, it should be possible. Shiro sells replicas of the engine at the different stages so people who've already done the quest can help on those steps.

Zakalwe

Banned
The microtransactions aren't surprising, and they're only cosmetic (aside from the boosters which don't really matter), but perhaps this is some kind of resigned acceptance.

All I know is they're not bothering me.

SadlerX84

that was not a "bug", they just didn't do enough damage. Sometimes his health display lags a little but still if he dies, he dies. Why is someone using a primary on aksis in the last phase? If 3-4 people were shooting him with primaries they would definitely not do enough damage. Why does someone have a fusion rifle equipped?

Best aksis loadout is a good primary like raid pulse or chaos dogma or a handcannon
Sniper rifle in secondary
dark drinker in heavy, gally or sleeper would be runner ups

4-6x dark drinkers on aksis melts him, and sniper for the very last 2%. Primary is fine for first two aksis teleports but should be using sniper on him as much as possible and dark drinkers on third.

We beat him fine next try so that wasn't the problem. (Got HM Pulse rifle which is awesome)

I cut the video alittle short but two of the raid members said no damage numbers were popping up towards the last slither of health.

So something definitely wasn't working as intended.

Deku Tree

Has anyone else noticed that in the last 1-2 weeks the available vanguard bounties have become very repetitive and always the worst ones?

Jabronium

Last night I got one of the towel-less Titan marks, praise the sun. Where does one acquire a Hunter scarf? Faction packages, Archon's Forge, or just random from engrams?

So it appears as if I'm on permanent red-bar connection whenever I try to play Destiny.

[...]

Can you at least temporarily snake an Ethernet cable between router and Xbox to rule out wifi as the problem? If problem persists, plug Xbox straight into modem to rule out router? If either of those don't work then it is your ISP or your Xbox.

Nothus

I'll admit to being disappointed about some of the cooler FoTL items (effectively) being behind a paywall, but at the same time I can't complain too much because if it weren't for Eververse then we probably never would have had the SRL, which was freaking awesome.
The April update, which included new content, was also completely free thanks to the money generated through Eververse.

All of the items are purely cosmetic, and even then if it's an ornament you're pissed about, just save up your silver dust and buy it when Xur eventually sells the one you want.

If I miss out on a few paper masks or a ghost shell, it's a small price to pay for the free content updates that Bungie throw our way. Hopefully SRL makes a return in the new year, I can't wait.

Has anyone else noticed that in the last 1-2 weeks the available vanguard bounties have become very repetitive and always the worst ones?

Personally i think all the bounties are pretty trash. There really arent many fun ones. Id love to see a "Solo a Heroic level Strike or Nightfall" or "Complete 25 Crucible matches using only your primary weapon" etc.

Hell, on the topic... i'd LOVE to play in a primary weapon only Crucible playlist that barred universal remote and no land beyond. I'd never fucking leave lol.

I'll admit to being disappointed about some of the cooler FoTL items (effectively) being behind a paywall, but at the same time I can't complain too much because if it weren't for Eververse then we probably never would have had the SRL, which was freaking awesome.
The April update, which included new content, was also completely free thanks to the money generated through Eververse.

All of the items are purely cosmetic, and even then if it's an ornament you're pissed about, just save up your silver dust and buy it when Xur eventually sells the one you want.

If I miss out on a few paper masks or a ghost shell, it's a small price to pay for the free content updates that Bungie throw our way. Hopefully SRL makes a return in the new year, I can't wait.
The April content was reused assets. And the story was just held back from TTK. SRL was in the works befor eve.....
If Bungie needs micro-transactions just to do simple updates like weapons and subclass balancing then something is very wrong.

Whatever clearly I'm in the minority. I hope Bungie just goes all the way then, cause clearly mostly everyone is fine with it right now. Well just keep making excuses after excuses. Until it's far to late.

Nothus

The April content was reused assets. And the story was just held back from TTK. SRL was in the works befor eve.....

Whatever clearly I'm in the minority. I hope Bungie just goes all the way then, cause clearly mostly everyone is fine with it right now. Well just keep making excuses after excuses. Until it's far to late.

If they suddenly switched it up and started selling weapons, or armour, or anything else that effectively made the game 'pay to win' then that would be a completely different issue and one I would certainly have a problem with.
But when Bungie first started all of this they explicitly said it would be for cosmetic items only, and so far they've stuck to their word.

If they suddenly switched it up and started selling weapons, or armour, or anything else that effectively made the game 'pay to win' then that would be a completely different issue and one I would certainly have a problem with.
But when Bungie first started all of this they explicitly said it would be for cosmetic items only, and so far they've stuck to their word.
It's not tho rep boosters were introduced. So they broke their word right there even if it's small.

Lol at saving up for ornaments it will take you at least 5 weeks to get one from Xur.

TP-DK

Start this quest you need a Tiny Box of Raisins. You get this from the beginning quest of FOTL from Eva Levante. Eris Morn will then give you a Tiny Box of Raisins instead of Candy like everyone else.
Step 2: Take the "Tiny Box of Raisins" to The Speaker. He will let you combine the "Tiny Box of Raisins" and 25 Motes to make "Ascendant Raisins". (This step can be skipped if you already had a Ascendant Raisins because you kept your old "Tiny Box of Raisins" from last year.)
Step 3: Take the "Ascendant Raisins" to Zavala and he will let you trade it for "Salted Sweets".
Step 4: Take the "Salted Sweets" to Master Rahool (Cryptarch) and he will let you trade it for "Winged Chew".
Step 5: Take the "Winged Chew" to Amanda Holiday and she will let you trade them for "Splice Drops".
Step 6: Take the "Splice Drops" to Cayde-6 and he will let you trade them for "Unchocolate".
Step 7: Take the "Unchocolate" to Eris Morn and she will give you a "Bag of Treats"
Step 8: Open the "Bag of Treats" and receive your new "Superblack" Shader and your delicious "Piece of Celery"
*stolen from reddit*

Thanks a lot for posting that! I had no idea about this at all.

Ruze789

Last night I got one of the towel-less Titan marks, praise the sun. Where does one acquire a Hunter scarf? Faction packages, Archon's Forge, or just random from engrams?

I got that last night too, I was pretty excited!

I'm pretty sure that I had the Hunter scarf but scrapped it since I didn't like the roll, plus it really shows how oddly elongated/ overly narrow a lot of the female Hunter helmets are. I don't remember where it came from though.

Number45

Got Mark of the Risen last night (from an engram, I think). It's just a belt, no towel. Weirdly enough, that's the most excited I've gotten about a drop since my Y1 G-horn.
Nice, I'll keep an eye out for this. Thought I saw no mark on a random I played an heroic with earlier in the week but assumed I was mistaken.

Freakin Nico hijacked my clan....for sure thought it was Weteha... Unless it's a false flag operation...

....This is what happens when you have 6 admins with only 9 members.

Top Bottom