• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Should I dismantle my Days of Iron gear? If a piece is fully leveled up, will I get more materials that from pieces that aren't leveled at all? And can I reclaim any of those pieces whenever I want, through the RoI book?

I've replaced most of the Days of Iron pieces with Iron Saga pieces and now they're just taking up space in my vault. I don't want to lose them forever, though. Or miss out on the materials I've already invested into them...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Deku - Yes Vanguard bounties are stuck in a rut
There was at least 5 days worth of bounty rotation before dupes came into play
Now within a FUCKING DAY, they might appear

Some are just tedious, like 15 attachable grenades, even if grenade attached to an enemy and the radius kills 4 more, it still counts as one

Like can you being back year 1, 1.5, 1.75, 2, 2.5 bounties please
I mean seriously why the fuck not, let's go visit the old places that never been seem for ages!
Like kills the Vex Time Gate Lord or that Baron in the Archives mission
Its like its just Cabal/Hive/Taken Leaders 10/10
Either Solar/Arc/Void abilities 30/30
Solar/Arc/Void Weapon kills 30/30
Then 20 melee kills or 15 attached grenades
Kill 5 enemies 5 times with Heavy or Kill 3 Enemies 7 times with Special
Kill 50 Hive/Taken/Cabal/Vex/Taken
Last is the Destination Planet and get 100 points

I have literally seen the same bounty appear back to back, skip a day and come back the day after
I think it was the 10 Taken Captain one

Just let loose and let us have the whole Bounty pool
It breaks up the monotony

Just picking up on last page about Micro transactions

Listen, Bungie can charge for cosmetics, there are allowed to do so
The thing is, you garden the whole cosmetic aspect is what is annoying

Last year you could earn all the masks except one...
This year you earn 3 from quest, 3 you purchase through bags (key item), and get 1 roll @ loot box per char and that's it
If they just made it like yes you can earn loot box but you'll have to grind say trade in 10 Rare loot bags for a box, it would at least make it feel like you can at least have a chance...

Right now, your stuck paying for old stuff which was free
Overwatch with it boxes at least if you play the game does fucking reward you per level you rank up
Yes you can shortcut and grab boxes with money, but there's a slow grind to earning everything without paying, just rakes time

I mean we all tried to guess Eva was going to rotate out masks or add at least 1-2 new ones (hell even last year masks in rotation for people who missed out)
Its the same fucking 3, Speaker, Rahool, Crota
OK I get Speaker and Rahool are for the quest at least swap out Crota with one of the old masks
So within the 14 day event you can at least earn all the old ones except the exclusive ones
Might he nice to throw in 2-3 of the new ones too

I'm literally closing in on 20 of those Rare loot bags, I'm just gonna collect and see if I can reach 100+ by the event for shits n giggles (yes I'm not a normal person playing Destiny)

I might request help from 2 fellow GAFfers if they are kind enough to let me shoot them in the face with Hand Canons in Rumble
Want to move on this Imprecation quest on all 3 guardians
Also 25 sword kills
Please help me out...

Zakalwe

Banned
Should I dismantle my Days of Iron gear? If a piece is fully leveled up, will I get more materials that from pieces that aren't leveled at all? And can I reclaim any of those pieces whenever I want, through the RoI book?

I've replaced most of the Days of Iron pieces with Iron Saga pieces and now they're just taking up space in my vault. I don't want to lose them forever, though. Or miss out on the materials I've already invested into them...

They give no mats regardless of level. You'll lose all invested mats. You can reclaim the level 3 versions from the book any time.

JJShadow

I don't know if it's technically possible, but I think a good way to indirectly nerf the Dark Drinekr cheesing on Aksys is to give him some kind of melee attack that procs if you get close to him once he's stunned

But knowing how Bungie works, they will just go the easy way and nerf DD damage -200%

GraveRobberX

You with get nothing back
No clue on the Ornaments/Silver Dust part either

If you do go reclaim another box after opening up your first box of said item it will always be 3 LL
You can change stats by rerolling as many times until you get the stats you one, but the perks are locked no matter what

LiK

I'm keeping them cuz I like that you can use ornaments to change their look. If I ever decide to trash them, better to infuse them into something else if they have high LL.

GraveRobberX

I don't know if it's technically possible, but I think a good way to indirectly nerf the Dark Drinekr cheesing on Aksys is to give him some kind of melee attack that procs if you get close to him once he's stunned

But knowing how Bungie works, they will just go the easy way and nerf DD damage -200%

"Swords were seen as too bountiful in Hard Mode, surpassing every other weapon used
The meta was too strong, Guardians weilding there elemental lightsabers
We feel like for Guardians that don't have swords, it makes them vulnerable from going into the fight and become Legend or even being asked to join
So in the next update Swords will get a -20% damage decrease overall
Ammo count will lose 10 (can be recovered by equipping Sword Artifact)
WotM Aksis will have a buff applied where he takes -25% damage from swords, so a total of -45% for Sword damage
We will continue watching the situation, we listen to what the community is saying
Stay safe Guardian
Oh by the way, all this applies to the Canon Captain too!..."

Deku Tree

A melee slam against Aksis would be unfair to the player that is dunking him especially in HM with no revives. When Aksis is stunned then the dude is stunned.

Reducing Ammo I think is also unfair. They might give Aksis a huge damage reduction against swords.... Oracles in VoG have a huge damage reduction against Hand Cannons. Who knows. It is unclear whether or not Bungie cares that swords do more damage against Aksis than other weapons. It's not a cheese, it just speeds things up a little.

spyder_ur

I don't see any issue with sword damage. It makes sense since it's a melee weapon. You still have to get in position to use it, which is more difficult than sniping or horning from wherever you ended up, and you lose seconds of DPS if you're not quick.

I would assume that those calculations are based on optimal use - maximum DPS time, hitting crits, having ammo, etc. That's not always the case, so use what you're comfortable with.

I'd be curious how the raid sniper and HMG measure up, though. I've been using the sniper - I just hate the scope (dislike basically any non-conventional sniper scopes in this game).

We know you love dat scout...

And we know you leave ammo in the cannon ;P (jk that's usually never you lol)

I saw that... my brother was like WTF happened to your clan name... i look at my name and was like " Pete... cat... huhhhhhh?!" lol what is that

Scout for life!
...and Pete is my cat, it says on Bungie that Nico did it, but I'm unsure.

Mindlog

I don't see any issue with sword damage. It makes sense since it's a melee weapon.
I was never worried about a sword nerf. Now I am. Bunge never nerfed Red Death and the like during the Crota fight, but they do like nerfing weapons that work. Can't have something that works because that means too many people will be using that.
Your in the minority because overreacting about something doesn't make it so. It has only been cosmetics which is exactly what they have always said. Both the boosters and leveling don't give an advantage at all.

If it changes than that's the time to show the outrage but being outraged about everything they do is not the way to handle this. Microtransaction isn't ideal but they have handled it fine so far and until they step out and actually make it game affecting than that's different.
It's a brilliant strategy. Even though Bungie sells more than just cosmetics that can still pretend they're sticking to their plan by selling just mostly cosmetics.

Then the live team can create more events that are centered on cosmetic rewards.
Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we’ll announce later this year. It has been, and continues to be, our goal to deliver updates to the game. Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests.
HSt5Tma.gif

spyder_ur

It's a brilliant strategy. Even though Bungie sells more than just cosmetics that can still pretend they're sticking to their plan by selling just mostly cosmetics.

Then the live team can create more events that are centered on cosmetic rewards.

HSt5Tma.gif

Bingo, this is what I've been saying.

The MTs aren't a big deal to me, but I wouldn't have any issue at all if they were, as promised, delivering meaningful content on a regular basis. They don't seem capable, or at least inclined, to do that.

It's quite clear to me that in terms of ongoing support, the moment that Destiny introduced MTs was the moment that the priority of the live team (if not Bungie at large) became to develop events specifically to sell more of them, rather than create compelling experiences. The orientation changed, and it's a bit of a bummer to me personally.

You with get nothing back
No clue on the Ornaments/Silver Dust part either

If you do go reclaim another box after opening up your first box of said item it will always be 3 LL
You can change stats by rerolling as many times until you get the stats you one, but the perks are locked no matter what

I'm keeping them cuz I like that you can use ornaments to change their look. If I ever decide to trash them, better to infuse them into something else if they have high LL.

Thanks, my dudes. I'm going to dismantle the ones I haven't applied ornaments to yet. I need dat vault space and Bungie has no fix in sight for this. It's hard having 3 characters and only 108 slots for armor. Weapons are full too, obviously.

Nicodemic

Freakin Nico hijacked my clan....for sure thought it was Weteha... Unless it's a false flag operation...

....This is what happens when you have 6 admins with only 9 members.

Are you sure it's not your cat? The october moon can have some pretty interesting effects on pets... ;-)

"Swords were seen as too bountiful in Hard Mode, surpassing every other weapon used
The meta was too strong, Guardians weilding there elemental lightsabers
We feel like for Guardians that don't have swords, it makes them vulnerable from going into the fight and become Legend or even being asked to join
So in the next update Swords will get a -20% damage decrease overall
Ammo count will lose 10 (can be recovered by equipping Sword Artifact)
WotM Aksis will have a buff applied where he takes -25% damage from swords, so a total of -45% for Sword damage
We will continue watching the situation, we listen to what the community is saying
Stay safe Guardian
Oh by the way, all this applies to the Canon Captain too!..."

If this happened, it would be the epitome of the "No Fun Allowed" meme that gets posted here on Gaf so much. Jeez, please don't let this be in the Thursday Bungie update before they release challenge mode...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which shader you use is personal preference. If you are using a weapon that does 20,000 damage instead of a weapon that does 200,000 damage, then yes, you are doing it wrong. That's not to say the encounter cannot still be beaten - we can all carry weaker group members. But if everyone decided to use the 20,000 damage weapon, then it's going to be hard to do the boss.

I don't care what weapon someone uses as long as enough people are using high DPS weapons so that the fight is won. I have to say, though, that if I am willfully using a low DPS weapon instead of a high DPS weapon, simply out of personal preference, then I think I come off as a bit selfish :) I mean, the fight is like 5 minutes long. I can use whatever I want the other 99.9999% of the time I play, but if I am working together with 5 other people to get the job done, then I want to help as much as I can. I don't understand why everyone wouldn't want to help out the team as much as possible, but then again, I also don't understand why people join strikes and just go AFK.

How else are you supposed to be an elitist if you aren't belittling others over their personal preference? ...In a video game, nonetheless.
Right. I watched a video posted here just yesterday where someone was using genesis chain on the last phase of aksis when he was down to his last 5% health. They obviously couldn't do enough damage but it was hilarious to see fusion rifle being equipped in the final fight. They still didn't switch to it or their heavy and kept reloading genesis chain.

Now it's a very noob mistake but if people who post on gaf don't know any better then it's ok to explain which weapon types you should be using at specific parts of the raid.

I remember trying to do oryx hard mode and struggling for hours until we found out that one of our guys was using a shotgun all that time. The moment we made him switch out his shotty and rocket launcher with sniper rifle, the ogres started going down faster, the knights were no longer a problem and oryx staggered in a couple if seconds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Swords don't trivialize the Aksis fight nor is a single one necessary to complete. The most difficult component of the fight by far has nothing to do with DPS anyway and even on hard mode you get more cycles of breathing room than necessary. You can miss an entire DPS cycle and still complete the fight with one to spare. I don't think I get why anyone is even referring to a potential nerf. The vast majority of damage to Aksis comes from cannons so I'm not clear on why anyone thinks Bungie cares what weapons the remaining people use unless you are operating under the assumption that they are vindictive rather than just misguided. Anyway
Oh, that explains it. No one ever explained that aspect of the fight to me. Thanks.
Yea, I just thought tethering would make him weaker overall, didn't know it affected the crits. Of course, I never really leveled up my NS subclass so I didn't really know some of the advantages of tether outside controlling adds and annoying me in PVP. Heh
So someone who knows more than me, please help me sort this out but I think you were given some misinformation here.

Tethers make all damage numbers turn yellow like regular crits are, but they don't "turn all shots into crits." For maximum damage you should still be headshotting (or whatever-shotting depending on the target) a tethered target. If headshotting and bodyshotting a tethered target does the same amount of damage that would be complete news to me and I'd be shocked that I had never noticed it before.

Tethering isn't really a particular component of the strategy any more than "you should be using tethers while damaging Aksis no matter what." Dark-Drinker simply does the most damage for this particular encounter outright, tether or no tether, crits or no crits. Compared to the other weapons attacking under those weapons' ideal circumstances, Dark-Drinker does the most damage.

The strategy also involves putting a Weapons of Light bubble essentially on top of Aksis for the spinners to stay inside the whole time they are hurting him, which I don't think I saw mentioned.

Tethers make all damage numbers turn yellow like regular crits are, but they don't "turn all shots into crits." For maximum damage you should still be headshotting (or whatever-shotting depending on the target) a tethered target. If headshotting and bodyshotting a tethered target does the same amount of damage that would be complete news to me and I'd be shocked that I had never noticed it before.

I dont think that's accurate...

Here's why: When i use If Materia on a tethered boss, or Outbreak Prime every single bullet regardless of where it hits counts (i aim for the big spider butt with the If Materia) as a precision hit, aka a crit. The perks proc every single time. The yellow numbers are there because it makes the entire boss a critical shot for the duration of the tether.

Edit: I could be wrong... i'm looking for absolute answers and cant find any. Doesn't help that i main a Titan lol.

Bingo, this is what I've been saying.

The MTs aren't a big deal to me, but I wouldn't have any issue at all if they were, as promised, delivering meaningful content on a regular basis. They don't seem capable, or at least inclined, to do that.

It's quite clear to me that in terms of ongoing support, the moment that Destiny introduced MTs was the moment that the priority of the live team (if not Bungie at large) became to develop events specifically to sell more of them, rather than create compelling experiences. The orientation changed, and it's a bit of a bummer to me personally.
Exactly

Mindlog

I wonder if other damage buffs like melting point and viking funeral also count as crits. Will be easy enough to test later.

A sunsinger using its super offensively during the damage phase is also very helpful.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont think that's accurate...

Here's why: When i use If Materia on a tethered boss, or Outbreak Prime every single bullet regardless of where it hits counts (i aim for the big spider butt with the If Materia) as a precision hit, aka a crit. The perks proc every single time. The yellow numbers are there because it makes the entire boss a critical shot for the duration of the tether.
No Teather just does 35% more damage, it doesnt make every shot a critical even if the If Materia thinks its a critical hit.

Here is what i found using a quick search. Not sure how accurate this is, but it lines up with my damage output to Aksis. Notice how high the multiplier goes for Sniper Rifles. There is no way a tether with its 35% bonus damage is the same as doing 5x damage with a Sniper Crit.

Critical hit multipliers for the following weapons are as follows:
Assault Rifles: 2.5x
Pulse Rifles: 3x
Hand Cannons: 3x
Scout Rifles: 3x
Sniper Rifles: 5x
Fusion Rifles: EDIT: No crit multiplier (thank you all for clearing this up!)
Shotguns: 2x? (still iffy about this, it's pretty damn hard to get just a single pellet to score a crit)
Machine Guns: 2.5x

Interesting numbers here. Also, is the Eirene RR4 sniper rifle in the same damage class as the Event Horizon? Was surprised to see how that ranked sixth for damage.

No, it's in the 1000-Yard Stare family. I think it ranks so high because the gunsmith has had a number of them with triple-tap/casket mag.

Lima

Body shots don't count as crits on a tethered target. Same for melting point and Viking funeral burn.

That said the optimal team for Aksis is 3 Hunters all running golden gun with nighthawk, 2 Titans with WoL bubble (one under Aksis and one for the cannon guy) and a Sunbreaker Titan with Skullfort or Thagomizers to get a second melee charge. He should be running near max strength and simmering flames.

The team should also be experienced and quick with the supercharge mechanic, something that I found really lacking when joining random teams.

Upon throwing the last bomb to take down his shield the two Titans put down their bubble and the Hunters pop golden gun and hit him with WoL buff before he even teleports for the first time. Then they wait until they see him burning from melting point before firing it at him after every teleport.

He goes down like a bitch in one damage phase. That's what I call ideal.

No Teather just does 35% more damage, it doesnt make every shot a critical even if the If Materia thinks its a critical hit.

Here is what i found using a quick search. Not sure how accurate this is, but it lines up with my damage output to Aksis. Notice how high the multiplier goes for Sniper Rifles. There is no way a tether with its 35% bonus damage is the same as doing 5x damage with a Sniper Crit.

Critical hit multipliers for the following weapons are as follows:
Assault Rifles: 2.5x
Pulse Rifles: 3x
Hand Cannons: 3x
Scout Rifles: 3x
Sniper Rifles: 5x
Fusion Rifles: EDIT: No crit multiplier (thank you all for clearing this up!)
Shotguns: 2x? (still iffy about this, it's pretty damn hard to get just a single pellet to score a crit)
Machine Guns: 2.5x

Ok so it's just a damage buff and allows all weapons to proc critical functions regardless or area of enemy hit... makes more sense now.

Top Bottom