• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

specdot

I'll be on tonight around 9:30 eastern for anyone looking for some Trials runs. Trying to go flawless in Y3 haven't done so yet. Anyone down shoot me an invite. SpecDotSign is my PSN. I sent out some invites as well. Im also looking for new people to play with in general.

Fistwell

Im doing the quest to get Shaxx weekly bounties and I have to do elimination. There currently is no elimination mode. Good stuff Bungie. Well done and bravo.

Seriously, what the fuck.

And I know Trials counts for it but don't you have to do that in a fireteam of 3 people? Jesus fuck.
I'm at that point as well, I have time to run some casual trials at some point in the next 5hrs if you want to do it, and if we find a 3rd. (PSN: ZonySUX)

I forgot to post yesterday but shoutout to Trakan and Zew for third flawless run this weekend. Been a while since we played together and was a damn good card.

I can deal with trials without revives. The no radar is still a huge bummer.

Raven117

We didn't beat phase 2, finally gave up when i had to go make dinner. Hopefully I can get a late night run in to beat it later because Halloween tomorrow, won't be playing much more before reset.

We will get it next time. The first few weeks of a hard raid are always tough as the community has to learn the ropes...

Not sure what is everyone's opinion on the new trials with no revives/radar, but I have to say I love this new setup. First off, the no radar allows for so much more counter play and react/counter-react flanks. Also, map awareness and knowledge actually play a big role in approaching an attack position. Team work is a larger component, since the team members have to communicate with each other about the opposing players position. It is very reminiscent of old arena-style control point FPS, in particular Halo 1 and 2 on console and quake for PC.

I have always hated radar for competitive multiplayer shooters, I feel it simplifies counter-play, and as a result, many maps are designed with a radar-friendly design. I prefer old school maps that are symmetrical, dynamic and allow for counter-play. COD in my mind really popularized constant radar for PVP, competitive multiplayer maps. It's a shame that FPS competitive players 10 years ago never relied on a radar system for competitive play and now everyone depends on the radar. Just my thoughts.

Obviously, the trials setup with no revives does affect the approach with no radar, and I'm not entirely sure this setup is the best possible combination. But, bringing back no radar into PVP and competitive play is a step in the right direction.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Probably some time gated quest..

I am starting to think there are no time gated quests this time around. All of the exotics in TTK had their own slot in the exotic inventory and this year, there are no empty exotic slots left. Looks like Optimus Prime was the only secret exotic quest.

Trakan

I am starting to think there are no time gated quests this time around. All of the exotics in TTK had their own slot in the exotic inventory and this year, there are no empty exotic slots left. Looks like Optimus Prime was the only secret exotic quest.

I'm don't think there was an empty slot in the kiosk for Black Spindle before it was released.

Gong

Not sure what is everyone's opinion on the new trials with no revives/radar, but I have to say I love this new setup. First off, the no radar allows for so much more counter play and react/counter-react flanks. Also, map awareness and knowledge actually play a big role in approaching an attack position. Team work is a larger component, since the team members have to communicate with each other about the opposing players position. It is very reminiscent of old arena-style control point FPS, in particular Halo 1 and 2 on console and quake for PC.

I have always hated radar for competitive multiplayer shooters, I feel it simplifies counter-play, and as a result, many maps are designed with a radar-friendly design. I prefer old school maps that are symmetrical, dynamic and allow for counter-play. COD in my mind really popularized constant radar for PVP, competitive multiplayer maps. It's a shame that FPS competitive players 10 years ago never relied on a radar system for competitive play and now everyone depends on the radar. Just my thoughts.

Obviously, the trials setup with no revives does affect the approach with no radar, and I'm not entirely sure this setup is the best possible combination. But, bringing back no radar into PVP and competitive play is a step in the right direction.

Great post, couldn't agree more. This weekend was refreshing and had an absolute blast with friends. Calling out constantly, winning far more 1v1 encounters than I'm used to in normal Trials even when down to last guardian standing was thrilling and made me feel 10ft tall.

Going forward I'd either like Bungie to make this a monthly thing or maybe have 2 playlists for those of us who want this new and fun challenge and let those obsessed with ELO and their precious k/d ratio fight it out in increasingly difficult games that have sucked the fun out of trials for the likes of me who just want something fun and a realistic chance of 7 wins with my friends.

Feorax

All this talk of awesome trials is making me feel like it's time to jump in for y3.

Anyone want to run a card or two?

PSN; MattIgoe

As a really shitty trials player, I kind of liked this mode because for once I was actually able to kill people. I didn't get sniped or shotgunned in the face at every turn as usual.
There was also a lot less use of grenades. I wasn't running from skip grenades or getting shocked by a lightning grenade in the face from across the wall it was stuck to every round.

I say this as someone who was carried yesterday of course, but I've been carried before in regular trials and I usually get no kills.
And I do agree that this shouldn't have been the trials default. It should have been its own thing. Trials needs to stay what it is more or less.

I have a trials card with 5 wins, no losses and I still have the boon for one loss not counting. Can anyone help me/carry me to get at least 7 wins so I can get a weapon? I do not foresee the lighthouse in my future. I'd really appreciate it.

Also, anyone else need a hm Aksis phase 2 kill?
I still have it pending.

SpecX

Void kills in crucible for this thorn bounty, wish I would've kept my Word of Crota. Thanks Bungie!

If you still have it, Atheon's Epilogue will make this a piece of cake. I loaded up with this, a void fusion, and Truth. Got this step of the bounty knocked out in about 10 matches with how bad I am in PvP. I remember this part being much harder in Vanilla though, did they change it? I remember it being closer to TLW quest where kills increase the percentage and deaths reduced it for some reason.

First off, Destiny PvP was NOT designed with no radar in mind. The maps are especially not built for it. Whoever says you need more map awareness and knowledge is false. You always need map awareness regardless.

The intent of a battle is for 2 teams to charge at each other. This inferno trials mode promotes camping and shotguns, either their spawn or the Cap Zone. Camping then promotes supers. With all the nerfs, Destiny already became a super passive game compared to release (sad face) and Inferno trials is as passive as it gets.

I run about 10 cards a weekend and get 1-2 Overtimes max. I've easily gotten over 20 overtime rounds this weekend. It really doesn't take much skill to kill via RNG so I don't see how that's fun. It would be fun as a seperate mode but not for something like Trials. This should have been a weekly event with a seperate card you have to buy to try to get the Emblem and other goodies.

I've always wanted to try no revives because that would be fun to try but no radar alone in Destiny makes for a very bad game. This really just promotes everything that Trials shouldn't be about: Camping, Shotgunning, No orb control and a lot of luck. The only good thing is that a lot of people that aren't as good at PvP have chances to get some loot this weekend so I'm happy for that fact.

This weekend's stats shows it all:
5LPT8gy.jpg

Pretty disgusting when it's usually about 50/50 shotty/sniper.

I also believe HCs are only up because of 1 thing, shotguns, which promotes TLW regardless of how bad it is now. It's the biggest counter we have to shotguns.

SpecX

Rate this guns for me, been having some good PvP success and trying to see what the feel is for it:

The Waltz
Pulse Rifle
Column 1: MD-Reflex/ Quick Draw / OEG
Column 2: Extended Mag / Hip Fire
Column 3: Perfect Balance / Feeding Frnzy
Column 4: Rodeo

Bold is how I'm using it.

SlimySnake

If you still have it, Atheon's Epilogue will make this a piece of cake. I loaded up with this, a void fusion, and Truth. Got this step of the bounty knocked out in about 10 matches with how bad I am in PvP. I remember this part being much harder in Vanilla though, did they change it? I remember it being closer to TLW quest where kills increase the percentage and deaths reduced it for some reason.

Yep.

Use Void Damage to defeat Guardians in the Crucible. Death will slow your progress.
Requires 500 points. 5 points are gained per kill, 2 lost per death (meaning that progress is made as long as the average ratio of void kills to deaths is sustained above 0.4).
Kills must be made with a weapon or skill that does Void damage. Assists do not count.

TLW quest was worse though.

WeTeHa

Thanks for confirming. I remember losing a controller to this stupid quest, but you're right TLW quest is much much worse. It's honestly the only quest I have left from TTK that I have 0 interest in completing.

With all the nerfs TLW had the quest sucks pretty bad now, I can imagine. However, just wait till SRL is around again, equip TLW and run races. Easy quest completion.

SpecX

With all the nerfs TLW had the quest sucks pretty bad now, I can imagine. However, just wait till SRL is around again, equip TLW and run races. Easy quest completion.

That's honestly my plan at this point. Buddy of mine did exactly that last year and got through the quest. He still to this day brags that he has the chaperone shotgun and I don't.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Bungie doesn't know how to balance that's all. Everything is always an ongoing experiment for them. This mode would be fine by itself. Like x said. I think I had more overtime games this week than all of year one and two pvp combined. People are not afraid to find a hiding spot, build Supers and then finally make a move.

SlimySnake

Thanks for confirming. I remember losing a controller to this stupid quest, but you're right TLW quest is much much worse. It's honestly the only quest I have left from TTK that I have 0 interest in completing.

I did it just before ROI and it was one of the most frustrating things i have ever done in any game. There is no way to do it legit. You will lose pretty much every 1v1 battle with the last word. I tried to do it legit for two weeks and made 0 progress. One time i got up to 45% after an insane 11 killstreak with my shotgun but went all the way down to 0% after a string of of 1 kdr games.

They key is to play Mayhem Clash and only equip when you have your super charged. Even with your super, play conservatively and immediately switch out the last word after you have used your super. This quest is all about streaks, so by switching out the last word you have essentially kept the streak going.

I joined a gaf Mayhem Clash train and went from 0% to 90% in around five games. I died a couple of times in the 90s so spent the last few games hiding in the corner completely bitching out on my team as they tried to win the game to get that 3% bonus.

Check the progress on the destiny app to see a more detailed progress report. You are basically supposed to get 1500 points and even though the ingame quest will show you have made no progress, the app will show the actual number of points you have earned.

In the end, it felt great to finally get it done so I would recommend doing it the next time Mayhem clash comes around. i have yet to use the chaperone though lol.

Bungie doesn't know how to balance that's all. Everything is always an ongoing experiment for them. This mode would be fine by itself. Like x said. I think I had more overtime games this week than all of year one and two pvp combined. People are not afraid to find a hiding spot, build Supers and then finally make a move.

I agree completely, that Bungie does not know how to balance the crucible and PVP aspect of Destiny, whether this is partly a design decision or sheer incompetence on their part is hard to tell. I find a huge problem with PVP and shotguns being so strong has to do with movement speed, both vertical and horizontal speeds.

Our guardians move very fast in the crucible: able to jump, slide, evade and cover large distance in very quick time. However, our primary guns really can only really kill from being on the ground, needing us to be more stationary, thus shotguns being able to kill in the air, on ground and with fast movement speed make sense to use given the gameplay.

SpecX

I did it just before ROI and it was one of the most frustrating things i have ever done in any game. There is no way to do it legit. You will lose pretty much every 1v1 battle with the last word. I tried to do it legit for two weeks and made 0 progress. One time i got up to 45% after an insane 11 killstreak with my shotgun but went all the way down to 0% after a string of of 1 kdr games.

They key is to play Mayhem Clash and only equip when you have your super charged. Even with your super, play conservatively and immediately switch out the last word after you have used your super. This quest is all about streaks, so by switching out the last word you have essentially kept the streak going.

I joined a gaf Mayhem Clash train and went from 0% to 90% in around five games. I died a couple of times in the 90s so spent the last few games hiding in the corner completely bitching out on my team as they tried to win the game to get that 3% bonus.

Check the progress on the destiny app to see a more detailed progress report. You are basically supposed to get 1500 points and even though the ingame quest will show you have made no progress, the app will show the actual number of points you have earned.

In the end, it felt great to finally get it done so I would recommend doing it the next time Mayhem clash comes around. i have yet to use the chaperone though lol.

Yeah, someone on here explained using the super tactic, but I just don't have the urge to deal with that frustration. Didn't they nerf the chaperone as well? It's things like this that really bugs me about Bungie. Don't put up these near impossible barriers to overcome for shit rewards.

I agree completely, that Bungie does not know how to balance the crucible and PVP aspect of Destiny, whether this is partly a design decision or sheer incompetence on their part is hard to tell. I find a huge problem with PVP and shotguns being so strong has to do with movement speed, both vertical and horizontal speeds.

Our guardians move very fast in the crucible: able to jump, slide, evade and cover large distance in very quick time. However, our primary guns really can only really kill from being on the ground, needing us to be more stationary, thus shotguns being able to kill in the air, on ground and with fast movement speed make sense to use given the gameplay.

I hope with the delay of Destiny 2 and talks about it dropped D1 with a whole new feel means Bungie has their shit together next time around. They really let things get out of control with Destiny and every "fix" or "balance" does more harm than good at this point.

vin-buc

First off, Destiny PvP was NOT designed with no radar in mind. The maps are especially not built for it. Whoever says you need more map awareness and knowledge is false. You always need map awareness regardless.

The intent of a battle is for 2 teams to charge at each other. This inferno trials mode promotes camping and shotguns, either their spawn or the Cap Zone. Camping then promotes supers. With all the nerfs, Destiny already became a super passive game compared to release (sad face) and Inferno trials is as passive as it gets.

I run about 10 cards a weekend and get 1-2 Overtimes max. I've easily gotten over 20 overtime rounds this weekend. It really doesn't take much skill to kill via RNG so I don't see how that's fun. It would be fun as a seperate mode but not for something like Trials. This should have been a weekly event with a seperate card you have to buy to try to get the Emblem and other goodies.

I've always wanted to try no revives because that would be fun to try but no radar alone in Destiny makes for a very bad game. This really just promotes everything that Trials shouldn't be about: Camping, Shotgunning, No orb control and a lot of luck. The only good thing is that a lot of people that aren't as good at PvP have chances to get some loot this weekend so I'm happy for that fact.

5LPT8gy.jpg

I also believe HCs are only up because of 1 thing, shotguns, which promotes TLW regardless of how bad it is now. It's the biggest counter we have to shotguns.

Even though I had a great time running trials because of no radar/revives - you have excellent points (I did enjoy aiming down sights with my Grasp checking corners). The primary being about not being that great in PVP (which I would change to say "not that great in normal trials" :p). And thank you for actually being happy for us - in all sincerity. I know the really good players around here help us try hards out - putting your own stats on the line to take us deep on the card.

Being new to Destiny and running trials for only a few weeks now - there's definitely a steep learning curve (for me) due to the meta of normal trials (other than getting kills) - managing orbs, not getting pic'd, and knowing to collapse - all in sync with your team when you have the advantage. All of these parts were eliminated because what we basically had this weekend was Hardcore TDM.

Controlling the CP was what we did if the opposing living players were disadvantaged and hiding (we were running through 60% trying to find/call them out). However, while this is true - there is similar camping in normal trials around the orbs. So camping spots were switched from team orbs to the CP with the caveat being that if the match went into overtime one team is better positioned then the other. With that being said - we got rushed (and likewise) we rushed the CP when it was necessary and I didn't see camping really paying off for anyone during my 12 matches. But a counter to this is that the radar also promotes camping because in a normal Trials encounter - opponents will stand-off and try to get the best angle (read: head glitch) on each other once the radar is lit up red.

There are some really good snipers out there. I actually tried to snipe (with ok success) before I got my supreme roll matador. Most of my normal trials encounters would be getting team shotted with primaries then rushed and killed with shotties. The stats don't lie (ratio for shottie : sniper this weekend) but it does feel like a breath of fresh air not to get hard scoped coming through a door/hall because a sniper sees you coming on the radar which imo doesn't take that much skill.

I don't want this every week tbh since it deviates from the "spirit" of trials. Personally, i want to excel in normal trials but this was a nice distraction.

And everything I said above is my analysis from my very limited time playing trials.

SlimySnake

I still dont understand why they dont keep PvP and PvE separate. I think the fact that people had Jade Rabbit a year before I did and kept killing me with it just proves that RNG breaks PvP. I had someone practically snipe me with a Matador with Rifled Barrel, RangeFinder and some other Range perk. I am rolling with a god roll myself, but it's just not fair to others.

Just have something like CoD where you get weapons as you level up. Everyone fights with the same perks and stats. It's more balanced and removes the headache of nerfing PvE weapons to make them work in PvP. it also gives everyone access to weapons, especially exotics that can be extremely hard to come by in PvE.

You will never have to worry about the Vex getting nerfed in PvE because it would melt in PvP. They will be separate and the hardest to get weapon in the game will remain the best weapon in PvE.

vctor182

Exotic weapons are mostly a joke now and are outclassed by legendaries in PvP. Some are still useful in PvE because they are oriented for PvE content like Black Hammer, Sleeper, Gjallarhorn the exotic swords. Using PvP oriented exotics like Thorn, TLW, Chaperone, NLB should not make you feel like you're giving an advantage to your opponents.

Mindlog

Which one is better in terms of total DPS especially during Aksis phase 2 : Eirene rr4+CasketMag+TripleTap or Ex Machina ?
The first is probably better, but the second is never a bad choice. Either one will give you more than enough performance through multiple encounters with the Machina getting an edge vs Fallen.

WeTeHa

Which one is better in terms of total DPS especially during Aksis phase 2 : Eirene rr4+CasketMag+TripleTap or Ex Machina ?

Probably not a big difference. I prefer running tripletap+casket mag for pretty much everything with the stupid sniper ammo nerf. You essentially get 2 additional free rounds per magazine. helps me with special ammo.

platocplx

5LPT8gy.jpg

For what its worth i made it to the lighthouse this weekend just using a tresspasser lol. I refuse the meta. lol but the shot gun use was based soley on tons of flanks and if they dont get the drop on you you kinda know where they are you can take em out.

I understand the design of no radar, because the FOV is narrow in the game so you literally can miss someone right next to you.

Def was an experience i dont mind them doing it just to switch things up.

Exotic weapons are mostly a joke now and are outclassed by legendaries in PvP. Some are still useful in PvE because they are oriented for PvE content like Black Hammer, Sleeper, Gjallarhorn the exotic swords. Using PvP oriented exotics like Thorn, TLW, Chaperone, NLB should not make you feel like you're giving an advantage to your opponents.

exotics arent meant to be the overall best weapons, but they have unique abilities that can make them very good in PVP they just fit a style of player and not always just an easy way to a win and i like that about exotics. Once you master them they can outclass many legendaries.

Trakan

5LPT8gy.jpg

I ran 3 cards this week and my experience was mostly the opposite. You need way more map awareness as there isn't a mechanic in the top corner of your screen telling you someone is near. I didn't run into many teams camping at all. There was an occasional player or two who hid in a corner to get a free shotgun kill though. In fact, the one team that did beat us in a game only did so by rushing the shit out of us from every angle. I only ran into one or two rounds that actually made it to time limit. The rounds this week felt much faster than normal because nobody could be revived. Rounds didn't last long enough for the enemy team to even gain super.

As for the sniper vs. shotgun statistics this week, well, you can't really flank and rush with a sniper. I also think this map had everything to do with it. If it was no radar/revives on Widow's Court, do you think the numbers would have been the same?

I didn't think I'd like it at first but I really do and I hope it returns in the future with more frequency than Halloween of next year or even rotating maps.

For the FotL quest, do i need to be speaker mask for the whole strike or can i throw it on at the end and get credit?

Yup - threw it on w a millisecond to spare! Got a shitty Crota mask in my package. I want a Ghost Ghost!! :)

blamite

I'm basically 100% convinced that as soon as Bungie finishes making it, they're gonna patch in a Black Spindle-style alternate ending for that mission where you start by the Ketch outside the wall, where you go inside it and kill a boss for some new weapon.

vctor182

exotics arent meant to be the overall best weapons, but they have unique abilities that can make them very good in PVP they just fit a style of player and not always just an easy way to a win and i like that about exotics. Once you master them they can outclass many legendaries.
That's the thing, their unique abilities are so nerfed now that they don't even matter. I love my Chaperone, I used to win 1v1 battles against Universal Remote in Y2 but now I'm getting killed all the time by Matadors at the same range I used to kill UR users. The Ill Will hand cannon is much better that The First Curse if you get one with rifled barrel. Palindrome and Eyasluna are better than Hawkmoon. Every other HC is better than Thorn now. Why would I equip an exotic pulse rifle if I have a Hawksaw, PDX-45, Grasp, Clever Dragon? How many times have I killed someone with a ricochet round from Hard Light? What about the joke it is now the Focus Fire perk from Suros Regime, I actually do less DPS in a meta where DPS is all about. Full Auto Invective is a waste because my first shot never kills a Matador user from range. The long range kills I can do with my Saladins Vigil put Telesto and Plan C to shame
I think that the only exotic guns that are worth using now are the Scout Rifles, but they only really shine in larger maps. There's really no point in using Exotics now, they have become guns with very situational perks where once in a blue moon during a match that perk will be the difference between winning or losing the duel but the rest of the time it will be outclassed by a legendary counterpart.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I ran 3 cards this week and my experience was mostly the opposite. You need way more map awareness as there isn't a mechanic in the top corner of your screen telling you someone is near. I didn't run into many teams camping at all. There was an occasional player or two who hid in a corner to get a free shotgun kill though. In fact, the one team that did beat us in a game only did so by rushing the shit out of us from every angle. I only ran into one or two rounds that actually made it to time limit. The rounds this week felt much faster than normal because nobody could be revived. Rounds didn't last long enough for the enemy team to even gain super.

As for the sniper vs. shotgun statistics this week, well, you can't really flank and rush with a sniper. I also think this map had everything to do with it. If it was no radar/revives on Widow's Court, do you think the numbers would have been the same?

I didn't think I'd like it at first but I really do and I hope it returns in the future with more frequency than Halloween of next year or even rotating maps.

My experience was this too. I haven't seen a single OT round yet.

This is the best trials in a long, long time.

CREMSteve

I have a trials card with 5 wins, no losses and I still have the boon for one loss not counting. Can anyone help me/carry me to get at least 7 wins so I can get a weapon? I do not foresee the lighthouse in my future. I'd really appreciate it.

Also, anyone else need a hm Aksis phase 2 kill?
I still have it pending.
I have the Aksis 2 HM checkpoint as well. Not sure if I'm going to get any playtime in today though, being Halloween and all.

JHall

Bungie has never been able to balance weapons. Halo CE would be the closest because every weapon had a role and it was a relatively small sandbox.

ll_J0N_ll

That's the thing, their unique abilities are so nerfed now that they don't even matter. I love my Chaperone, I used to win 1v1 battles against Universal Remote in Y2 but now I'm getting killed all the time by Matadors at the same range I used to kill UR users. The Ill Will hand cannon is much better that The First Curse if you get one with rifled barrel. Palindrome and Eyasluna are better than Hawkmoon. Every other HC is better than Thorn now. Why would I equip an exotic pulse rifle if I have a Hawksaw, PDX-45, Grasp, Clever Dragon? How many times have I killed someone with a ricochet round from Hard Light? What about the joke it is now the Focus Fire perk from Suros Regime, I actually do less DPS in a meta where DPS is all about. Full Auto Invective is a waste because my first shot never kills a Matador user from range. The long range kills I can do with my Saladins Vigil put Telesto and Plan C to shame
I think that the only exotic guns that are worth using now are the Scout Rifles, but they only really shine in larger maps. There's really no point in using Exotics now, they have become guns with very situational perks where once in a blue moon during a match that perk will be the difference between winning or losing the duel but the rest of the time it will be outclassed by a legendary counterpart.

With artifacts that give exotic perks they eliminated half the exotic armor ones too :(

RIP Exotics

Top Bottom