• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

I'm pretty much back to the point where I'll just do Trials on the weekends, and login for the daily pvp just to get the passage coin and get that workout in.

I don't have all the hard raid gear yet but that'll come with the Challenge Mode.

Oh I guess I will do 15 strikes for the book this week while trying to get the Candlelight shader but that's about it.

Also, if the next IB isn't Supremacy, that'll be a huge bummer. I'll only play for gear and Clever Dragon.

Last night my fireteam with an average light level of 380 kept getting paired up on the first round against 400 flawless emblem fireteams in ToO. Seems like the only people playing now are super serious players.

Bungie seems to have already lost the casual crowd. No idea how this game will go on for another year.

It's been that way since before RoI. Trials is hardcore only territory now.
The only reason for the average player to go in there is to do trials bounties, which dont tend to give good loot either. All the good shit is locked at 5 and 7 wins, which only those who consistently get 5 and 7 wins will ever get.

CREMSteve

Yeah. Some people still get scared/nervous when they get empowered and have to slam on Aksis. They don't say it, but it's obvious when someone is uncomfortable doing that part. The same people almost always screw up. Eventually the smoothest run is sometimes by total luck - those people never got empowered or they get empowered but never had to slam.
Those are the "2-3 hours stuck on Aksis" runs.
We had one of those this past week. It was pretty painful. It's runs like those when I can understand why my wife hates Destiny. When you are sitting there playing all damn day on one activity that should be doable in less than two hours, you should probably just call it quits and try again with a different group another time.

That said, the mechanics aren't actually that difficult, it's all based on timing and if you lose focus on that aspect, you're in trouble.

Count me in. Let's do this.
Nice, that's two. Anyone else interested?

I can do 1 run.
That's three!

Hedera

We had one of those this past week. It was pretty painful. It's runs like those when I can understand why my wife hates Destiny. When you are sitting there playing all damn day on one activity that should be doable in less than two hours, you should probably just call it quits and try again with a different group another time.

That said, the mechanics aren't actually that difficult, it's all based on timing and if you lose focus on that aspect, you're in trouble.

That's three!
I can do a run or 2.

PSN: hedera_

The only reason for the average player to go in there is to do trials bounties, which dont tend to give good loot either. All the good shit is locked at 5 and 7 wins, which only those who consistently get 5 and 7 wins will ever get.

When was Trials not for the most hardcore? It was billed as the "ultra competitive" end game PvP mode from the start.

I understand that it's frustrating to loose at Trials, but the only way to get better is to play more PvP and practice. I went to the Lighthouse only 15 times in year one. In TTK I made an effort to get better and keep trying. I ended Year Two with 94 Flawless runs. Yes, it's tough and yes you will fail a lot, but that's the nature of PvP.

When was Trials not for the most hardcore? It was billed as the "ultra competitive" end game PvP mode from the start.

I understand that it's frustrating to loose at Trials, but the only way to get better is to play more PvP and practice. I went to the Lighthouse only 15 times in year one. In TTK I made an effort to get better and keep trying. I ended Year Two with 94 Flawless runs. Yes, it's tough and yes you will fail a lot, but that's the nature of PvP.

I guess it just anecdotal. It wasn't very hard to get 5 wins for me in year one, but it's impossible now.
I never went to the lighthouse, but I could at least walk out of there with some cool gear.
Pvp is just really difficult in Destiny for me. As soon as you get comfortable with certain weapons or skills the game gets rebalanced and you have to learn other ways to be just as good as everyone else.
Personally, I'm not a pulse rifle/shotgun fan.
I guess I'm just getting bitter about it.

Xeroblade

Finally got to 5 wins last night in Trials, got my emblem and 400 boots, then proceeded to lose 2 games after that to kill the card lol. I bet we will get IB next week, then challenge mode after that, then 2 weeks of nothing and then SRL. So much fun to be had. :/

So I got my Weapon Pins yesterday:

TLW
Suros Regime
GHorn
Surprise

The Surprise was another fucking GHorn.

I looked at what other people got and it can be different like Thorn. Pretty damn lame to get 2 of the same thing, regardless that they're the 2 different colors. Fuck.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah. Some people still get scared/nervous when they get empowered and have to slam on Aksis. They don't say it, but it's obvious when someone is uncomfortable doing that part. The same people almost always screw up. Eventually the smoothest run is sometimes by total luck - those people never got empowered or they get empowered but never had to slam.
Those are the "2-3 hours stuck on Aksis" runs.

I like that you can screw up at least two dunks and still have enough time to DPS Aksis granted people arent dying in your team. I wont lie, I get scared whenever i become empowered but I think i have messed up just once or twice in my 10 or 15 aksis kills. What people dont realize is that you can dunk as long as you are over him. You dont have to wait for the prompt to appear.

Another thing i have seen is that people are so focused on doing DPS on the first two teleports, they dont communicate and cover their side. All you have to do is just tell people to get to their spots before each teleport. Doing a countdown before throwing the last bomb also helps.

it's the easiest final raid boss fight in the game. the guy doesnt even fight back. and there is actually room for error.

Just did the 2 this morning, because I had to run to work. Not sure if I have it in me to do another later... most likely not.

Still love Destiny, but the honeymoon phase of RoI is coming to an end for me. I've really been enjoying Battlefield 1 lately, and will probably be putting more time into it now.

Unfortunately I'm beginning to feel the same. I love the WotM raid but it is extremely short with basically only two bosses. The idea of fixed weapon and armor perks on raid gear/rewards even though I like most of the former does the raid no favors as far as replayability goes as there is very little incentive to continue playing it weekly once you have everything sans for the fun factor of the gunplay/gameplay. I also love the RoI expansion setting but wish it was more like TTK expansion in size and scope.

Looking forward to the SRL in December and Challenge modes in WotM I guess before then.

FotL however continues to be a useless event for myself with the masks effecting playing the game in a negative way should you, well, want to wear them. They had a year to add a mask slot similarly to ornaments and did not. Kinda mind-boggling really.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well there are drops up to 390 from the bounties so if you are at 380 that is pretty good loot. Post-round random rewards can be up to 400.

But it is a bit of a misconception that Trials was ever intended to offer much of anything to casual players. It's been positioned explicitly as the lone hardcore PvP mode in Destiny from its inception, whereas Iron Banner is the "power enabled mode for everyone."

I have been to the Lighthouse two times, both in year 1. I got 5 wins with kreep and dorssom last night, using my decidedly suboptimal loadout, and got the fancy FotL emblem and 400 boots. Was pretty ecstatic.

That's three!
I have found that having everyone switch to max agility in their perks at the outset of Aksis makes a small but palpable impact on reliably getting the slams.

Wish I could join you guys.

spyder_ur

That's three!

I can join. Though I don't like that Hudson character...

Number45

TLW
Suros Regime
GHorn
Surprise

I looked at what other people got and it can be different like Thorn. Pretty damn lame to get 2 of the same thing, regardless that they're the 2 different colors. Fuck.
Ugh, that sucks. I was going to buy these, but by the time I'd made my mind up they were sold out.

TLW
Suros Regime
GHorn
Surprise

Aside from the $40 price point, that is also what made me decide not to buy. Thorn and Sleeper are the two coolest in the pack but you can't get both. So fuck that. Should have been a choose the ones you want deal, and then the last one is rng. That way the least popular will still be sold.

Feorax

What hours and days are you typically available?

Doing a lot of shift work those days so it's a difficult one. Typically if I'm available it will likely be early in the week, since any weekends off are spent with the family. Just one of those things though.

Spent this morning watching video guides to the raid and the HM changes, so feel a bit more prepared for when I do get the chance, although to be honest, the videos I've seen really make it look like I'm not missing much at all.

FotL however continues to be a useless event for myself with the masks effecting playing the game in a negative way should you, well, want to wear them. They had a year to add a mask slot similarly to ornaments and did not. Kinda mind-boggling really.

Completely agree. Don't see the point of it.

TLW
Suros Regime
GHorn
Surprise

The Iron Gjallarhorn possibility is why I ultimately decided to not buy this set. Sleeper Simulant is obviously the best.

vin-buc

Have pulse rifles been rebalanced/nerfed? My 399 Grasp with PB, CB and Glass Half Full took pretty much a full clip to take anyone down in Trials last night.

stn

Level 29 titan, about to beat the main campaign soon. I think I finally "get" this game. Also played my first strike the other day, it was fun! Looking for some good teammates to play and/or form a clan (or join a clan, if someone wants me). Platform is XBO. Any takers?

I gotta say, as a way more casual player than most of this thread tends to be, I'm loving it all. I was pretty hardcore in year 1, all but dropped out in year 2, but I'm really enjoying myself in RoI. I just hit 378, just got Thorn, and I'm about ready to hit the raid for the first time, hopefully this week, if there's a noob raid at some point.

What I'd really like is to finish the Shaxx bounty quest line. I never did that in year two. I'm up to the Weapons Master part, but I'm having a hard time with the pulse rifle step. Is Juju the best weapon to use, probably? And what's the best mode for it, Control maybe since the matches are so long?

Level 29 titan, about to beat the main campaign soon. I think I finally "get" this game. Also played my first strike the other day, it was fun! Looking for some good teammates to play and/or form a clan (or join a clan, if someone wants me). Platform is XBO. Any takers?

I am on XB1, GT same as here. Add me if you like.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yeesh, Get full Spliced Set, and your eyes get Radiated with Nuclear Fallout on Warlock...

8XcEqAM.jpg

What I'd really like is to finish the Shaxx bounty quest line. I never did that in year two. I'm up to the Weapons Master part, but I'm having a hard time with the pulse rifle step. Is Juju the best weapon to use, probably? And what's the best mode for it, Control maybe since the matches are so long?

Bad Juju isn't a terrible option— arguably the best exotic pulse rifle you could use. Best ones are legendaries with good rolls. Rift might be the best option, and don't play the objective.

Don't think any of the vendors have a great PR for sale right now. FWC, Crucible, and Gunsmith (PDX45) could provide good rolls on rank-up/armsday, and Hawksaws still drop from engrams.

Yeesh, Get full Spliced Set, and your eyes get Radiated with Nuclear Fallout on Warlock...

**edited for peoples eyes**

That does look very bright - why doesn't the raid hat take shaders!? I usually run a black shader so it's ok for me, but it seems a weird decision.

EDIT - completely OT comment but after 3 years of play, and various shardings to keep the best perks/guns and historic sets...I don't have a single Arc heavy! Well I have one, a year 1 BTRD with battle runner and army of one.

I have 5 solar machine guns, 10 solar rocket launchers (including 3 Ghorns), 7 void machine guns and 3 void RL's.

I could of course just print a Thunderlord out of the kiosk....

Mr Rivuz

Is the extra light point you sometimes get from infusing completely random? I am stuck at 399 for the chest armor, is there a small hope to see it reach 400 by just keeping infusing it in other chest armors?

Dalek

I myself have never done Trials because I don't think I'm good enough. That said-I see there is the requirement in the ROI book to do a Trials passage. maybe even 5 of them are required? How much is that going to hurt me?

BLCKATK

I myself have never done Trials because I don't think I'm good enough. That said-I see there is the requirement in the ROI book to do a Trials passage. maybe even 5 of them are required? How much is that going to hurt me?

It's not going to hurt you at all really. Maybe in those 5 trials passages you get some loot, maybe enough wins for some of the new set or weapons, maybe you don't. It's worth giving it a try.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Doing a lot of shift work those days so it's a difficult one. Typically if I'm available it will likely be early in the week, since any weekends off are spent with the family. Just one of those things though.
Early in the week i.e. Monday-Wednesday? Do you have typical hours you could block off?
to be honest, the videos I've seen really make it look like I'm not missing much at all.
huh?

Mindlog

Is the extra light point you sometimes get from infusing completely random? I am stuck at 399 for the chest armor, is there a small hope to see it reach 400 by just keeping infusing it in other chest armors?
I recall reading somewhere that it's an artifact when infusing from an item with a light level ending in 1. (371, 381, 391)

The first Youtube video I found supports this theory. Unfortunately it's unlikely that infusing your 399 chest into others will give you that last bit of light you need.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i started doing trials again this year after a horrific experience with them last year on bannerfall and i gotta say it's a really good place to get some high level armor pieces.

The drop rate is somewhere from 3-5 games so even if you suck and lose 5-0 three times in a row you can potentially earn a higher light level armor piece in 15 minutes.

It sucks that the gold tier bounty is capped at 390 though.

Top Bottom