• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Any thoughts on Steel Medulla versus OP?

I have been an inveterate fan of OP so far but I got a 400 SM last night and it seems very good (in general and especially against fallen).

I've been using OP/raid sniper/raid MG up to Aksis Phase 1 and then Imago (with explosive rounds) raid sniper and Raze lighter for Aksis Phase 2.

I could use SM for more flexibility in the heavy slot in the early raid...

Also any thoughts on the raid hand cannon? It's got similar base stats to Imago but I'm not sure I like the reactive reload-based perks - are they good? haven't levelled it up yet.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I use prime up to vosik then use medulla for the rest of the raid.

We managed to do 80% on aksis in one phase. Use the artifact which grants more sword ammo and go nuts with drinker.

Lima

Best raid load out for Vosik

Burning Eye
Ex Machina
Sleeper

After Vosik switch to Ghorn or Dark Drinker depending on your job for the final part. Then switch out the Ex Machina for your favorite triple tap sniper as the bonus damage doesn't proc on Aksis.

Opening: OP, Raid Sniper, Raid MG.

Vosik: OP, Raid Sniper, Raid MG / Raid Pulse, Raid Sniper, Dark-Drinker. Second setup is better for handling captains. I dont care for the sleeper here as vosik bounces around too much and headshots become hard.

Siege E.: Raid Pulse, Raid Sniper, Raid MG / Raid Pulse, Raid Sniper, Dark-Drinker. First setup is better for walker. Second setup if I'm killing Meksis.

Aksis 1: Raid Pulse, Raid Shotgun, Dark-Drinker.

Aksis 2: Raid Pulse, Triple-tap-casket-mag Sniper, Dark-Drinker.

I forgot the Forge. Does that apply only to Heroic Raid?

I wish they'd offer more ways to get +390 gear for the PVE players. We did CoE yesterday, and it was disappointing that it gives only 385 gear from maxing the scorecard. It's starting to look like there isn't much to play at this point. I enjoy playing patrols the most, followed by the occasional heroic story missions and strikes, but due to the limited rewards there's little benefit in doing them, unless there's an ultra that might give you an exotic. Not to mention, that there are no PVE events that give you +390 gear.

Hum... I have a friend that is 399 and has yet to do the HM raid.

Nightfall, Exotic Engrams, Other Engrams decrypting as exotics, Forge, Skeleton Key Chest. Those are your pve options. Way more options than Y1 and Y2.

Also, at 390, you are perfectly leveled for the raid.

Lima

Opening: OP, Raid Sniper, Raid MG.

Vosik: OP, Raid Sniper, Raid MG / Raid Pulse, Raid Sniper, Dark-Drinker. Second setup is better for handling captains. I dont care for the sleeper here as vosik bounces around too much and headshots become hard.

Siege E.: Raid Pulse, Raid Sniper, Raid MG / Raid Pulse, Raid Sniper, Dark-Drinker. First setup is better for walker. Second setup if I'm killing Meksis.

Aksis 1: Raid Pulse, Raid Shotgun, Dark-Drinker.

Aksis 2: Raid Pulse, Triple-tap-casket-mag Sniper, Dark-Drinker.

Raid LMG LUL

Thanks - some interesting load outs there!

I don't have DD yet, need more materials on Mars, but I would definitely use it if I had it!

IMHO - the raid LMG is fine and fun to use. For Vosiks, with OP, you basically don't need a heavy weapon....so it's ok to have it as a back up for an extra captain or whatever. Essentially I would choose OP for my exotic slot over gally.

At Death Jambroni, gally is probably best for easy clears of adds and captains.

Aksis - DD is the clear favourite but outside of that snipes do great boss DPS, so you can choose your heavy based on captain killing or boss DPS.

Edited to add - priorities probably change over time as well. When people are under-levelled then surviving adds was key so Gally was probably better...once people are up to level then boss DPS is probably more of a priority (to have less cycles and therefore less risk of a silly mistake or glitch).

Shiv47

Finally got a HM Aksis kill in last night, after not having tried it beyond the first day or two after HM dropped. We one-shotted phase 2, which was awesome. Got a 400 hand cannon, a 398 pulse, and a 399 artifact, so I was pretty happy with that. The helmet at 385 was a bit of a bummer. The other drops clawed my light level up to 396, so I can live with it.

Frostburn

Finally got a HM Aksis kill in last night, after not having tried it beyond the first day or two after HM dropped. We one-shotted phase 2, which was awesome. Got a 400 hand cannon, a 398 pulse, and a 399 artifact, so I was pretty happy with that. The helmet at 385 was a bit of a bummer. The other drops clawed my light level up to 396, so I can live with it.
Congrats on your first kill.

The helmet was the normal mode drop, since you did the HM raid you get rolls for both normal mode and hard mode at the same time. Normal gear is capped at 385.

I was there! I had no idea it was your first time tho. Good loot too.

Shiv47

Congrats on your first kill.

The helmet was the normal mode drop, since you did the HM raid you get rolls for both normal mode and hard mode at the same time. Normal gear is capped at 385.

Ah, I figured the helmet could drop at HM light levels as well. Hadn't looked into it.

I was there! I had no idea it was your first time tho. Good loot too.

Yeah, thanks to you and the others for the smooth run! Had done it on normal a few times, so it was just a matter of getting round to doing it on hard. Should have done it much sooner, given how relatively easy it was.

vin-buc

I went into the HM raid last night and we were able to finish it with Vosik CM in roughly 1h 45m. I was 395 going in and i came out at 399:

CM Emblem (i love it)
Ex Machina: 400
Zhalo SC (exotic drop): 400
If Materia: 400
Ghost Shell: 400
Spliced Helmet: 400
Exotic Helmet (drop): 400
Spliced Boots: 400
Artifact: 398

I still need gauntlets/chest/cloak (i got an exotic titan gauntlet at 399 to drop). I'm a bit bummed i didn't get the Steel Medulla or the Sidearm but whatever. I got the mechanics completely down and I only died about 3 times during the whole raid. Gonna keep trying to grind this to get 400 weapons to infuse.

Ah, I figured the helmet could drop at HM light levels as well. Hadn't looked into it.

It can as well - potentially you could get a double drop with a normal helmet at 385 and a spliced version at 390+

Molnizzle - is burning eye really that good? (I have no idea as I won't get one).

Trying to work out why you are using that as your primary (as opposed to OP, SM or another popular scout like the old Hung Jury?)

Edit - that sounds like a great run!

My loot haul was:-

2 X 399 LMG
400 Ex machina
400 Side arm
400 Side arm
400 ghost
400 Steel Medulla
400 Fever and Remedy

So I did really well on guns, but bad on armour. Currently I "only" have the HM hat and nothing else...

Lima

Molnizzle - is burning eye really that good? (I have no idea as I won't get one).

It's the fastest rate of fire scout in the game that can still one shot shanks due to explosive bullets.

Speaking of explosive bullets they are just that good in the raid because you can either body shot dregs and vandals or go for a headshot and kill them with the explosive damage which doesn't spawn the red orbs of doom and gloom.

Basically it's the best PvE primary now.

It's the fastest rate of fire scout in the game that can still one shot shanks due to explosive bullets.

Speaking of explosive bullets they are just that good in the raid because you can either body shot dregs and vandals or go for a headshot and kill them with the explosive damage which doesn't spawn the red orbs of doom and gloom.

I really want one. :(

Ah I see - thanks! I think my Imago Loop does all of that but with more style though ;-)

LiK

393 now and I still haven't done HM. hopefully I can join a Protato group this weekend for quick kill. I don't even care if it's a full raid. Just wanna get that trophy and focus on PVP.

Born2Live

Burning Eye is awesome. Is it the same archetype as Cryptic Dragon?

Dalek

Is this a good roll for a sniper rifle?

Seventh Sense
Underdog
Life Support Skip Rounds
Perfect Balance Firefly

I got it from Nightfall, and it's my highest light level special. So if it's not good I'll just use it for infusing.

vctor182

Well hot damn! thank you Shaxx!

xhd2MK4.jpg

deafmedal

i'll just be DPS and you guys can let me know what to do in CM.
when you wanna run? we usually do a run around 9 est on Fridays and then Harlan and I try for a run on Sat/Sun, so lemme know when is good for you and we'll try to make it happen👍

LiK

when you wanna run? we usually do a run around 9 est on Fridays and then Harlan and I try for a run on Sat/Sun, so lemme know when is good for you and we'll try to make it happen👍

Yea, I'll let you guys know in the group chat if I can make it to one of them.

While I like the WotM setting, I really wish there were at least one more different boss encounter (really think it needs two more) in addition to what's already there and also the raid could have used a timed sparrow escape either in the middle or at the end (think warthog trench run) to complete it (especially with the idea of the SRL being a major event coming soon).

I guess folks will keep coming back for the CM ornaments for their characters but it really isn't setup to run it three times per week considering the fixed nature of the perks on weapon/gear rewards.

The KF raid is a much more complete experience for myself.

I wish the last two expansions were switched in regards to size and scope mostly because of the RoI/WotM setting.

A decent send-off in any case.

While I like the WotM setting, I really wish there were at least one more different boss encounter (really think it needs two more) in addition to what's already there and also the raid could have used a timed sparrow escape either in the middle or at the end (think warthog trench run) to complete it (especially with the idea of the SRL being a major event coming soon).

I guess folks will keep coming back for the CM ornaments for their characters but it really isn't setup to run it three times per week considering the fixed nature of the perks on weapon/gear rewards.

The KF raid is a much more complete experience for myself.

I wish the last two expansions were switched in regards to size and scope mostly because of the RoI/WotM setting.

A decent send-off in any case.

Man, 2 more bosses in a raid is an INSANE amount of work for Bungie. Designing a GOOD encounter and make it fit in the raid is crazy hard. The raid is fine as is imo, Aksis phase 2 is the best boss this game has bar maybe Skolas back in the day anyway. Besides 2 more bosses would make the raid drag forever.

KF may be a more "complete experience" first time around but in terms of replayability it loses to WoTM 10 times to 1.

Deku Tree

I feel like WotM is the best or second best Destiny raid. Not sure if it's better than VoG TBH. The length is great.

Most hardcore raiders don't want a raid with 1-2 more encounters that for most groups needs to be completed in multiple sessions.

Top Bottom