• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Man, 2 more bosses in a raid is an INSANE amount of work for Bungie. Designing a GOOD encounter and make it fit in the raid is crazy hard. The raid is fine as is imo, Aksis phase 2 is the best boss this game has bar maybe Skolas back in the day anyway. Besides 2 more bosses would make the raid drag forever.

KF may be a more "complete experience" first time around but in terms of replayability it loses to WoTM 10 times to 1.

As is we got two bosses with remixed encounters, I wish there was another true "different" boss encounter as it seems rather light to me.

While I like it I don't see the longevity or desire to do it three times a week especially considering the fixed perks on weapons/gear. I mean I would imagine after five or so runs most players will have everything concerning rewards/gear (you can even re-roll the armor to fit your needs/builds) it has to offer sans for Perfected ornaments.

GhaleonEB

I forgot the Forge. Does that apply only to Heroic Raid?

I wish they'd offer more ways to get +390 gear for the PVE players. We did CoE yesterday, and it was disappointing that it gives only 385 gear from maxing the scorecard. It's starting to look like there isn't much to play at this point. I enjoy playing patrols the most, followed by the occasional heroic story missions and strikes, but due to the limited rewards there's little benefit in doing them, unless there's an ultra that might give you an exotic. Not to mention, that there are no PVE events that give you +390 gear.

Yeah, it's frustrating. Nearly the entire loot stream of any PvE activity is rendered useless. The heroic strikes should go to 400; it's ridiculous that regular Crucible matches drop gear up to 400 and the heroic strikes are capped at 385. At the very least skeleton keys should drop a lot more often.

Yeah, it's frustrating. Nearly the entire loot stream of any PvE activity is rendered useless. The heroic strikes should go to 400; it's ridiculous that regular Crucible matches drop gear up to 400 and the heroic strikes are capped at 385. At the very least skeleton keys should drop a lot more often.

I've thought about this before as well, considering the added difficulty modifiers in the Heroic Strike playlist and since Crucible offers weapons as end-of-match rewards strikes should in-turn offer armor rewards based on current LL up to 400 LL.

Reward wise you would have...

Crucible - Weapons and Class Items
Heroic Strikes - Armor
Archon's Forge - Ghosts and Artifacts

...which gives the players more options if they desire to reach max LL, don't like to raid, etc.

One of my favorite things to do in Destiny is run 10+ strikes in a row just for the gameplay, to play with different builds/loadouts, etc but since the rewards are lackluster you are reduced to the 3oC option for Exotic engram drops and Vanguard/Faction rewards for hopeful god-tier rolls on weapons.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Well, i am not sure if I agree that Heroic Strikes should drop gear above 385. You can finish them in like 7-10 minutes and they are super easy. Crucible games last around 10 minutes, are extremely challenging and usually drop stuff every 4-5 games. That's the same drop rate of Skeleton keys in Heroic Strikes. 4-5 games per key. And unlike Crucible which only drops weapons and class items, keys can give you specific gear that you need from chests along with a free high level ghost or artifact.

Then there are exotic engrams that also have a drop rate of around 5 strikes/crucible games. Then you have Nightfall which not only gives you 390+ gear but also has an increased chance of dropping keys. You can do them 3x per character.

You also have Archon forge that drops 390+ Ghosts, Artifacts and Class Items at a drop rate of one per three rounds.

Then you have the weekly crucible bounty you can easily finish in 7 games.

Then you have trials that drop 390+ gear every 3-4 games.

That is a lot of different ways to get to 400 without ever doing the raid.

TLDR:
PvE:
- Skeleton Keys from Heroic Raids.
- Exotic Engrams
- Nightfall
- Archon Forge
- Weekly Iron Bounties (very rare though)

PvP:
- Crucible Post Match Rewards
- Weekly Bounty
- Trials Post Match Rewards
- Exotic Engrams

Fistwell

If you need one more I'm happy to tag along. Just for key fragments and because I like running WotM :)
Yeah would mainly be playing for fun as well, although I guess I could scrape a cple more drops out of CM. So, 3 of us, just need 3 more.

Edit: doesnt look like its happening right now, another time guys!

Well, i am not sure if I agree that Heroic Strikes should drop gear above 385. You can finish them in like 7-10 minutes and they are super easy. Crucible games last around 10 minutes, are extremely challenging and usually drop stuff every 4-5 games.

How are they challenging? The loot drops randomly so there is no reward based challenge.

The Heroic Strike playlist should also drop rewards in the same fashion based on current LL.

With the right difficulty modifiers the Heroic Strike playlist can be somewhat of a challenge. Crucible for the most part seems like a casual experience through and through and matches generally go super quick as well.

SlimySnake

How are they challenging? The loot drops randomly so there is no reward based challenge.

The Heroic Strike playlist should also drop rewards in the same fashion based on current LL.

With the right difficulty modifiers the Heroic Strike playlist can be somewhat of a challenge. Crucible for the most part seems like a casual experience through and through and matches generally go super quick as well.

The skeleton keys are your reward. its better than dropping shit you dont need on the post match screen. you can take your skeleton key and open a chest with whatever is holding you back. plus, they can drop bonus artifacts and ghosts.

I meant challenging in the sense that you get your ass handed to you and its not a pleasant relaxing experience like heroic strikes. It's much easier to grind out strikes than grinding out PvP rounds even if the drops are random.

The skeleton keys are your reward. its better than dropping shit you dont need on the post match screen. you can take your skeleton key and open a chest with whatever is holding you back. plus, they can drop bonus artifacts and ghosts.

I meant challenging in the sense that you get your ass handed to you and its not a pleasant relaxing experience like heroic strikes. It's much easier to grind out strikes than grinding out PvP rounds even if the drops are random.

Umm, infusion?

Skeleton Key Strike Hoard chests are very limited as far what types of gear you can get (no leg or chest armor).

Crucible is a goldmine for 400 LL weapon/class item infusion fodder.

Crucible has been a rather harmless experience for myself. You win some, you lose some, you have good games, you have bad games and a lot of in-between. So what, who cares? The rewards are random anyways.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

This x10000.

For a game who's lead PvP designer said not to take it seriously when playing, they sure do push players towards PvP to increase light level. Bungie needs to create a PvE activity that has matchmaking, is challenging in gun skill, and drops LL gear up to 400 on a regular basis.

Also exotics should only decrypt at 400 if you are 399.

Mindlog

There's an entire page in my vault with just SRL armor. For giggles. No Dpulicates.
I stare at the page and wonder, 'What's the point.'

SRL armor is completely useless since it can't be infused and loot drops at your LL. Was it the same way during SRL?

There's an entire page in my vault with just SRL armor. For giggles. No Dpulicates.
I stare at the page and wonder, 'What's the point.'

SRL armor is completely useless since it can't be infused and loot drops at your LL. Was it the same way during SRL?

I believe that's how it worked last year. That's why you finish first and then swap to your highest gear before the reward screen pops up.

SlimySnake

Umm, infusion?

Skeleton Key Strike Hoard chests are very limited as far what types of gear you can get (no leg or chest armor).

Crucible is a goldmine for 400 LL weapon/class item infusion fodder.

Crucible has been a rather harmless experience for myself. You win some, you lose some, you have good games, you have bad games and a lot of in-between. So what, who cares? The rewards are random anyways.

I am not sure what we are arguing anymore. I am perfectly fine with Crucible drops. I do use them for infusing my old weapons. I enjoy crucible myself at times. I was originally trying to tell Ghaleon that PvE has at least four or five different ways for you to hit 400 without ever touching the raid.

I wouldnt call strike chests VERY limited when they are only missing 2 out of 10 things you need to hit max level. What would you call crucible then which is missing 6 out of the 10 things you need to hit max level?

We can agree to disagree on whether crucible is more challenging than heroic strikes. it doesnt matter. i like the reward drops in crucible. they are a huge improvement over year 1 and year 2. they are rewarding and encourage noobs to suffer through getting shottied over and over again.

It took me a week to get a chest piece which was the only thing holding me from hitting 400. My last chest engram had decrypted to a 399 chest. A full week and god knows how many exotic engrams, crucible weapons, nightfalls, and useless skeletons keys later, I finally got another chest engram that decrypted to 400. So yes, i know how frustrating it can be and i'd appreciate if strike hoards contained chests and leg armors, but going back to Ghaleon's post there should be many different ways to hit 400 or at least 399 relatively quickly without ever doing the raid.

I am not sure what we are arguing anymore. I am perfectly fine with Crucible drops. I do use them for infusing my old weapons. I enjoy crucible myself at times. I was originally trying to tell Ghaleon that PvE has at least four or five different ways for you to hit 400 without ever touching the raid.

I wouldnt call strike chests VERY limited when they are only missing 2 out of 10 things you need to hit max level. What would you call crucible then which is missing 6 out of the 10 things you need to hit max level?

We can agree to disagree on whether crucible is more challenging than heroic strikes. it doesnt matter. i like the reward drops in crucible. they are a huge improvement over year 1 and year 2. they are rewarding and encourage noobs to suffer through getting shottied over and over again.

It took me a week to get a chest piece which was the only thing holding me from hitting 400. My last chest engram had decrypted to a 399 chest. A full week and god knows how many exotic engrams, crucible weapons, nightfalls, and useless skeletons keys later, I finally got another chest engram that decrypted to 400. So yes, i know how frustrating it can be and i'd appreciate if strike hoards contained chests and leg armors, but going back to Ghaleon's post there should be many different ways to hit 400 or at least 399 relatively quickly without ever doing the raid.

I thought we were talking about Heroic Strikes potentially dropping armor based on current LL and up to 400 LL. It seems logical considering Crucible rewards Weapons/Class items up to 400 LL at random and Archon's Forge does the same for Ghosts, Artifacts, and Class Items with no challenge involved for any of it.

The reality is Bungie has given the player very little incentive to play one of their game modes (Heroic Strike Playlist).

I don't care as I have three 400 LL characters and about 50 Exotic engrams in the vault but the more paths to increase and max out LL the better while also giving incentive to the player to play different modes and feel rewarded as well.

Tried out the 4th Horseman cheese on Phogoth and man people weren't lying. With blessing I killed him in 2 and a half clips before one of my friends even made it into into the room.

Think I'll be farming the NF for keys this week

Deku Tree

Tried out the 4th Horseman cheese on Phogoth and man people weren't lying. With blessing I killed him in 2 and a half clips before one of my friends even made it into into the room.

How long does the whole strike take with the 4th Horseman cheese?

How long does the whole strike take with the 4th Horseman cheese?

Did it last night in somewhere around 10-15min I believe, I'll pay more attention next time. And we also wiped once at phase 3 of the locked door like dumbasses which made it slower than it should have been. Once I'm in Phogoth's room it's about 10 seconds to dps him down by myself

Born2Live

Might have to give this a go. Been playing strikes for the past 2 and a half hours and not had one key drop.

Top Bottom