• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

Matt Frost

20+ years of great games from the worst? What a world to live in with that high a bar.

PS: Bungie owns Destiny IP.

Opinions, each their own. To ME, Bungie is a bad developer who stumbled on a gold mine, just that. They staff is shit and useless. But that is MY opinion. You have yours I have mine.

Waldini

Opinions, each their own. To ME, Bungie is a bad developer who stumbled on a gold mine, just that. They staff is shit and useless. But that is MY opinion. You have yours I have mine.

True.

My opinion? Your opinion is shit and downright insulting towards Bungie.

Know your stuff before smack-talking.

Lima

A true gamer at heart. I posted a healthy amount of shit in Destiny thread but god damn that is the dumbest shit I've ever seen posted in the Destiny community threads.

thabiz

I'm not a halo expert by any stretch of the imagination, but how exactly did bungie stumble upon it? Did they find it in a box when clearing out an office space? Did an employee find it in their grandparents basement? Was it anonymously emailed to them?

Melchiah

I wish they'd increase the faction rewards to 400, as it would give me more to play. It's beginning to look bleak, when Forge, ToC and Skeleton Keys are the only options for rewards, and I just don't enjoy playing Forge and strikes that much. Not to mention, the rarity of skeleton key and exotic drops. Raid is pretty much out of the equation due to the issues with scheduling one for our group, and I don't play PVP. Give me a reason to continue playing patrols, and I'm happy.

Well, it's the last day to grind for the new meta weapon. This is turning into one of the worst times to play crucible yet.

Hopefully Bungie acts quickly and removes or fixes HCR. As of right now, you don't loose gun fights to better skill or movement, you loose them to a single perk. It's a real shame.

Trakan

Well, it's the last day to grind for the new meta weapon. This is turning into one of the worst times to play crucible yet.

Hopefully Bungie acts quickly and removes or fixes HCR. As of right now, you don't loose gun fights to better skill or movement, you loose them to a single perk. It's a real shame.

SRL at the earliest if we're lucky.

I'm not a halo expert by any stretch of the imagination, but how exactly did bungie stumble upon it? Did they find it in a box when clearing out an office space? Did an employee find it in their grandparents basement? Was it anonymously emailed to them?

I heard they found it in a meteorite that crashed in their yard.

SRL at the earliest if we're lucky.

I just snagged TF2 for $30.

I really wanted to like First Light too, but head glitching, camping, and hard scoping made it a chore to play. Sure, we could have camped B, but that style of play in Destiny doesn't appeal to me. I understand Trials is supposed to be "win at all costs" but it just wasn't fun.

It really is too bad.

Allowing a single perk to dominate is just not acceptable (Shot Package, anyone?).

It really prevents a level playing field; you have to wait for RNG.

Flinch needs some adjustment. Getting hit by an HCR Dragon is brutal. I think Flinch needs to be adjusted way down on high ROF weapons and way up on high impact scouts. It is needed for challenging snipers but unnecessary everywhere else.

Waldini

Let's not give Bungie an ideas to nerf another weapon class to shit shall we?

They killed off Auto-Rifles.
They managed to (nearly) kill all Handcannons.
They managed to only have 2 decent Scout-Rifles.

I agree that the Clever Dragon is an annoyance in the Crucible right now but there's plenty of other weapons that can compete with the thing. It's because Iron Banner is around and people take the best they can. Despite the High Caliber Rounds being a pain in the ass the user is still required to be on point with every shot. Miss one and you give the enemy a chance to retaliate. IMO, it's not THAT bad.

I've seen plenty of Blind Perditions, Auto-Rifles or Handcannons that took me out with some well placed shots. A handcannon with Firefly or Explosive Rounds can knock your aim off-target ... a MIDA Multitool still hits like a truck. Thorn can still be a pain in the ass (DoT) and I can go on and on. Grasp of Malok, Blind Perdition, MIDA, Eyesaluna, Hawksaw, PDX, Palindrome or any other decent rolled Pulse/Auto/Handcannon can go against a Clever Dragon.

After all the un-needed nerfs I'm really anxious ... I agree that some things need tuning but ... what was the point in nerfing the Twilight Garrisson again?

Let's not give Bungie an ideas to nerf another weapon class to shit shall we?

HCR needs a nerf. The low impact PR archetype does not. CD without HCR is a worse, stats wise only, Grasp.

You are absolutely right. There are other weapons that can compete with CD, but there are not other weapons that compete with a CD + HCR. Every gun battle I have lost to a CD has HCR. You can tell the difference. It's dumb.

Guns like Red Death and Blind Perdition have HCR too, but you can't fire them fast enough to cause the same amount of flinch a CD can.

Nerf HCR or remove it from the CD perk pool completely. "Competitive" PvP was already a joke in Destiny and now it's an even bigger one.

I heard they had outside help...
tumblr_n71d3tLEmT1qzh2aio1_1280.gif

Waldini

HCR needs a nerf. The low impact PR archetype does not. CD without HCR is a worse, stats wise only, Grasp.

You are absolutely right. There are other weapons that can compete with CD, but there are not other weapons that compete with a CD + HCR. Every gun battle I have lost to a CD has HCR. You can tell the difference. It's dumb.

Guns like Red Death and Blind Perdition have HCR too, but you can't fire them fast enough to cause the same amount of flinch a CD can.

Nerf HCR or remove it from the CD perk pool completely. "Competitive" PvP was already a joke in Destiny and now it's an even bigger one.

Instead of nerfing just one weapon ... buff others.

Don't get me wrong ... but posts like this come across as a scream to nerf it because it's the main reason people get killed in PvP. I understand your reasoning though. However, would it solve the HCR problem if you added a counter measure to an Artifact? Instead of having the counter for DoT effects ... add one in to reduce flincing? Besides, isn't this what Destiny should be about? Grinding for that specific weapon that stands out? If you patch it again ... whats the point of putting so many hours in it anyway? People grinded the shit out of Omnigul and some of them have insane rolls. Now in the hands of a good PvP player that thing wastes everything. In the end, every weapon you have is deadly in the hands of the right user. I've seen people waste me with TLW when I'm carrying BP or CD.

That being said ... I question the way Bungie makes changes to PvP/PvE. What was the need to nerf snipers? Or the Twilight Garisson? Or the Hawkmoon/TLW? What was the reason autorifles were nerfed in the first place? Because the SUROS stood out?

Its fear that's running through my veins. Fear of another weapon patch that destroys the weapons I love to play with.

I love Destiny and I love PvP ... but for me, it's simple. Kill or be killed. No matter the weapon. Can't keep owning all the time.

stay gold

I ended up getting a few really good HCR rolls, but I'd be more than happy for them to nerf it. Flinch is a shit mechanic - I guess it has a place on snipers but even there they've gone way to far.

Instead of nerfing just one weapon ... buff others.

Don't get me wrong ... but posts like this come across as a scream to nerf it because it's the main reason people get killed in PvP. I understand your reasoning though. However, would it solve the HCR problem if you added a counter measure to an Artifact? Instead of having the counter for DoT effects ... add one in to reduce flincing?

That being said ... I question the way Bungie makes changes to PvP/PvE. What was the need to nerf snipers? Or the Twilight Garisson? Or the Hawkmoon/TLW? What was the reason autorifles were nerfed in the first place? Because the SUROS stood out?

Its fear that's running through my veins. I love Destiny and I love PvP ... but for me, it's simple. Kill or be killed. No matter the weapon. Can't keep owning all the time.

In a Destiny with perfect balance I would agree but this is actually not the case. Also, I don't often if ever call for nerfs in this game. I have played a lot of crucible, roughly 42 days, so I do feel justified in my assessment.

Buffing other weapons will not fix HCR. The perk itself has no business in PVP. When you're hit with HCR your aim goes to crap. A stronger primary doesn't help if I am affected by flinch.

Creating an artifact for a specific problem is not a real solution. It just means I now have to run it instead of the artifact(s) I want to run.

Waldini

I ended up getting a few really good HCR rolls, but I'd be more than happy for them to nerf it. Flinch is a shit mechanic - I guess it has a place on snipers but even there they've gone way to far.

Player gets killed by "OP" weapon.
Wants nerf.

Bungie nerfs.
Bungie destroys certain weapon class.
Bungie nerfs other, not needed, stuff.

Even those people with God-rolled weapons get killed in PvP. Now that there's Iron Banner around people tend to equip themselves with the best weapons/armor they have. Shoulder Charging a T12 Guardian and ended up NOT killing him was a shock for me back in the day.

I guess you'll always have these type of discussion. People wanting a nerf and people (like me) who don't. I'd rather have Bungie fix the horrendous lag or SBMM instead of nerfing weapons. Because I really, really do not like getting killed by a warping Guardian who I didn't see. Well, I did ... but according to the kill-cam he's standing still on the other side of the map. DDoS, random Fireteam kicks, being logged out in Trials ... to name a few.

In a Destiny with perfect balance I would agree but this is actually not the case. Also, I don't often if ever call for nerfs in this game. I have played a lot of crucible, roughly 42 days, so I do feel justified in my assessment.

Buffing other weapons will not fix HCR. The perk itself has no business in PVP. When you're hit with HCR your aim goes to crap. A stronger primary doesn't help if I am affected by flinch.

Creating an artifact for a specific problem is not a real solution. It just means I now have to run it instead of the artifact(s) I want to run.

Just give it time. Eventually, people will switch back to other weapons. In Iron Banner or Trials of Osiris you'll see this weapon mostly. When the BP was "found" and was confirmed it had god-rolls it was prominent in PvP aswell. Now, it's the CD's turn. It'll pass in time.

stay gold

I don't want the weapon nerfed though (I've said many times most weapons in the game need buffing), I just think a perk that increases flinch is kinda dumb.

Stuff like flinch and bloom, imo, takes away skill and inserts randomness in it's place, I can't get behind that.

Defuser

Striker Titans with twilight garrison skate speed, high armor and recovery coupled with Juggernaut, HCR Clever Dragon, Max range Matador, Truth and Lightning Grenades are the most sweatiest pieces of shit. Fuck them.

Just give it time. Eventually, people will switch back to other weapons. In Iron Banner or Trials of Osiris you'll see this weapon mostly. When the BP was "found" and was confirmed it had god-rolls it was prominent in PvP aswell. Now, it's the CD's turn. It'll pass in time.

No thanks. I've played more than enough Destiny PvP to know when something is broken. Letting things go is how we had Sunsingers, Thorn, Sunbreakers, Shot package, etc running rampant for so long. People will not switch back. Maybe in lower Elo they do, but at the higher level you will always have the best of the best using the meta.

Nerfs are not always a bad thing. I am calling for a mechanic and perk that has no place in PvP.

Stuff like flinch and bloom, imo, takes away skill and inserts randomness in it's place, I can't get behind that.

Exactly this. You get it.

Lima

The only thing ever broken in PvP was the Vex Mythoclast. I got it the first week hard mode was available and oh boy with aggressive ball that bitch hit for 56 to the head (even higher with crowd control). A popular heavy machine gun at that time, The Swarm, hit for 63. Just think about that for a second.

Good times.

If we nerf HCR I hope Bungie takes a long hard look at primaries to make other primaries viable again.

I also hope they nerf shotgun range (1HK from 8m away seems bullshit and even worse when rangefinder is on) and also remove that danger close perk (I think that's the 25% extra melee damage after landing a hit with the shotgun).

I mean the meta right now in IB seems to be CDs or their ilk and then everybody slide shotgunning or hiding in doorways with shotguns. If you want to crack down on one aspect then you should crack down on the other.

This DLC have been extremely short... gave light too easily, so easily that the challenges werent needed (just for the emblem), the raid was short and easy, Bungie needs a good story writer and script writer fast, there is no point for me playing anymore except Trials (becoming quite good at it). And killing with Tresspasser and killing with a Warlock on Crucible. Only the crucible now that I think about it. Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, The Last Guardian, Dark Souls 3 DLC, Final Fantasy XV will have to do the trick

I don't have a problem with the raid difficulty, imo Kings Fall HM was way too difficult and turned me away from Destiny. I'd say the only thing wrong with WOTM is the variety of loot, they need to triple the item drops so there are multiple sets of gears per class, maybe one tuned for each sub spec or just general variety drops. Right now you get very quickly to the point where you need absolutely nothing from the entire raid. Stats min/maxing is not something most people give a shit about.

I haven't played Destiny in 4 days and didn't raid at all this week, didn't even bother with CM since I knew it would be a clusterfuck (for me). I enjoyed IB, was quick to get to rank 5 on all chars, and I'll play Destiny a few hours a month now until realistically Destiny 2. Look forward to SRL though, never put much time into it last year. I'd like to say any April update would find me coming back but realistically it probably won't.

Feorax

Raid gear has been pretty terrible since Crota's end. Nothing of the new raid gear, nor anything from King's fall, amounted to anything but infusion fodder.

Raid gear was one of Bungie's many victims when it came to trying to balance the game by removing the fun. I still have my Vision in the vault, purely because sometimes I want to just break it out and have a bit of fun in Y1 areas.

FinKL

Response to question 1 and 2 is: Bungie.

Why cant Activision give this IP to Blizzard? Bungie is one of the worst developers out there. The only bad thing about Destiny are the developers who make it...

That's a little sensationalist?

The progression to make Destiny more casual friendly every year has been a blessing IMO. The sad part is, I still put in a lot of hours into it even though things are pretty much given to you.

Seriously, trying to do King's Fall then KF HM turned me off. WoTM is just right, and the down time between every encounter is better and the jumping puzzle not as hard. The meat are the raid encounters so getting to it faster is better to me.

I remember pulling my hair out trying to do get 10 Kills/Assist IB Bounty OR Machine Lord. Now I can just play IB and get it done after matches w/o changing the way I play, that's awesome.

Proof that this nerf is incoming...
After getting only a scattering of very weak Clever Dragons all week (and none with HCR), I get the following in back to back matches:

#1 Send It/HLS - HCR - HS
Then
#2 HF - HCR - HH

As of right now, you don't loose gun fights to better skill or movement, you loose them to a single perk. It's a real shame.

It's funny, I remember reading (here and elsewhere) last year how worthless HCR was— when I found it to be very effective in keeping me alive in 1v1 gun fights.

If it becomes a mandatory perk (seems to have) then it should be nerfed or swapped out on the high RoF pulses (replace with
Guerrilla Fighter or Exhumed
).

I still prefer my grasp to my hcr dragon.

What is the grasp roll? I am trying find a new carrot on a stick and getting a good Grasp roll is one of those carrots. I have only gotten one grasp which I deleted because it had guerrilla fighter, a perk that I don't even think works.

stay gold

If we nerf HCR I hope Bungie takes a long hard look at primaries to make other primaries viable again.

I also hope they nerf shotgun range (1HK from 8m away seems bullshit and even worse when rangefinder is on) and also remove that danger close perk (I think that's the 25% extra melee damage after landing a hit with the shotgun).

I mean the meta right now in IB seems to be CDs or their ilk and then everybody slide shotgunning or hiding in doorways with shotguns. If you want to crack down on one aspect then you should crack down on the other.

Shotguns will fall in line when primaries are buffed tbh, their current OHK range is pretty much what you'd expect. The problem is more how easy you can go from 20m to 8m without being killed by most primaries, I've already noticed less warrioring in my IB games due to how a CD can fuck you up. They need to bring everything else up to this standard, for hand cannons it's as simple as getting rid of bloom, other stuff needs buffing.

Kalamari

This has been the consensus since Halo: Reach, I don't know why Bungie is so determined to make bloom work since it's an inherently flawed mechanic. It will be interesting to see if it's a part of Destiny 2. It will be a good indicator of whether to buy or not to buy the game.

Trakan

There's too many things that need to be done in order to bring MP back to what it was. High ROF pulse rifles have dominated for over a year now. There was a time when the mid ROF pulses were good too but I remember using Timepiece during that week before TTK with the 2.0 update and it was ridiculous.

A small list of what they need to do:

Get rid of ghost bullets on handcannons entirely and stop making them rely on the range stat. They should just make the range stat affect damage falloff and nothing else.
Fix TLW's hipfire/headshot damage, restore Hawkmoon to what it was.
Buff the high impact pulse rifles back to what they were and put Pilgrim back in that archetype.
Autorifles need some love but I'm not sure how. They were far too good for their ease of use back in the days where Suros reigned supreme.
Sniper AA is still a problem IMO.

Basically they need to completely un-do the range patch from like a year ago. It literally fucked up EVERYTHING.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Right now you get very quickly to the point where you need absolutely nothing from the entire raid. Stats min/maxing is not something most people give a shit about..

Exactly. I did one clear of HM WOTM, got all of the weapons besides the HC, and decided that I was done with WOTM forever. They need some better loot there that is harder to get. One of the reasons VoG was so great were the weapons - there was always something to chase, some reason to do VoG this week. "Well, maybe this is the I get the FB, VM, etc". I don't mind there being a mechanic in the game where we don't NEED to raid to progress; but at the same time, I'd like some reason to keep raiding other than to keep raiding.

SpecX

Got nothing for actually doing good. :(

Had the same thing happen yesterday. Played hard and topped the board with the high score. Everyone on the team got a legendary item and I got a blue. Some times RNG is a complete asshole.

Exactly. I did one clear of HM WOTM, got all of the weapons besides the HC, and decided that I was done with WOTM forever. They need some better loot there that is harder to get. One of the reasons VoG was so great were the weapons - there was always something to chase, some reason to do VoG this week. "Well, maybe this is the I get the FB, VM, etc". I don't mind there being a mechanic in the game where we don't NEED to raid to progress; but at the same time, I'd like some reason to keep raiding other than to keep raiding.

I want them to bring back post game Exotic rewards. Getting all your exotics from 3ofC engrams is no longer fun and takes away from the excitement. I remember always wanting to see the great random post game reward screen and now most people return to orbit before that hits to rush to the next game.

Feorax

I have an HM Aksis phase 2 checkpoint, in case anyone else still needs to get it done before reset. CM or not, I don't care.

I'm up for that. Got that far earlier this week but we were burnt out by that point and kept making silly mistakes.

PSN is MattIgoe. Just shoot me a FR when you're ready, I'll just be playing IB in the meantime.

I don't really care about the Clever Dragon too much. It's got a cool look, but I still prefer my Aegis. That being said, Bungie really wants me to use the CD because I'm only getting pulse and the boots from post-match drops.

I've had 1 heavy machine gun drop since last Tuesday. It's kind of holding me back.

vctor182

I don't really care about the Clever Dragon too much. It's got a cool look, but I still prefer my Aegis. That being said, Bungie really wants me to use the CD because I'm only getting pulse and the boots from post-match drops.

I've had 1 heavy machine gun drop since last Tuesday. It's kind of holding me back.
For me it's more that I need the primary drops for infusion to my primaries, the vendor CD is pretty good already

Top Bottom