• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

nowai

Reposting. Is this worth using or stick with OG hung jury?

Top of page!

Thanks...for the tip

In PvP, the 14 impact archetype just can't compete with 7 impact (PDX-45/Hawksaw) or 4 impact (Grasp) because they still require 3 headshots to kill.

In the amount of time you can fire three shots with your Pilgrim, a PDX-45 user can fire 4 and a Grasp user can fire 5-6.

Bungie has had lots of problems trying to balance higher impact pulse rifles, because if they buff them, they can two shot head shot like the old Messenger or Red Death pre nerf.

SeanR1221

In PvP, the 14 impact archetype just can't compete with 7 impact (PDX-45/Hawksaw) or 4 impact (Grasp) because they still require 3 headshots to kill.

In the amount of time you can fire three shots with your Pilgrim, a PDX-45 user can fire 4 and a Grasp user can fire 5-6.

Bungie has had lots of problems trying to balance higher impact pulse rifles, because if they buff them, they can two shot head shot like the old Messenger or Red Death pre nerf.

Ah that's a bummer. I just remember chasing this gun back in the day and the roll seemed good.

Sticking with the trusty hung jury it is then!

Clunker

So here's a weird request: I'm off work on Monday and wanted to put together a blind newbie run on WotM at 10am Eastern. Open to anyone on Xbox who's 355LL or higher and either hasn't done the raid at all or is cool with running with a pack of newbies and letting us figure things out blind.

I just hit 360 and my hope is to 1) experience the first few encounters of the raid blind and at our own pace, and 2) maybe find some gear drops to help us push into the 365 range, all while 3) keeping us to a 3-4 hour limit and not feeling like we have to burn the whole day on a raid. I'm OK with not finishing the raid as I think we'll be too low on LL but that doesn't mean we can't start the raid!

I made a the100.io game here, if you want to join (https://www.the100.io/game/776904), or throw me a line here. Raid noobs unite!

Hedgey

Looking for one titan, one warlock for monitors from fresh.
LFG is full of people already done it. =( I wanna get a second one.

PSN is Hedgeyy

Seibmoz

So here's a weird request: I'm off work on Monday and wanted to put together a blind newbie run on WotM at 10am Eastern. Open to anyone on Xbox who's 355LL or higher and either hasn't done the raid at all or is cool with running with a pack of newbies and letting us figure things out blind.

I just hit 360 and my hope is to 1) experience the first few encounters of the raid blind and at our own pace, and 2) maybe find some gear drops to help us push into the 365 range, all while 3) keeping us to a 3-4 hour limit and not feeling like we have to burn the whole day on a raid. I'm OK with not finishing the raid as I think we'll be too low on LL but that doesn't mean we can't start the raid!

I made a the100.io game here, if you want to join (https://www.the100.io/game/776904), or throw me a line here. Raid noobs unite!
In not a raid newbie but if you guys need any help I'll be on all day Monday. Message my GT: Dr ChadMan

Deku Tree

Is there some trick to finding assassination patrols? just go to orbit and keep trying?

Yeah. They are rare. Notice that there are only three areas in the plaugelands that you can get to via sparrow that have patrol beacons. It's not worth it to walk over to the old cosmodrome area. Just sparrow to all three areas and then go to oribit.

If there are two or more of the same patrols in an area then Picking up one of them and abandoning it makes the other one change.

Yeah. They are rare. Notice that there are only three areas in the plaugelands that you can get to via sparrow that have patrol beacons. It's not worth it to walk over to the old cosmodrome area. Just sparrow to all three areas and then go to oribit.

If there are two or more of the same patrols in an area then Picking up one of them and abandoning it makes the other one change.

Cool, thanks.

Jinjo

Actually, The Divide and Rocket Yard spawn a lot of Quarantine and Assassination missions so imo it is worth to check out there if you need those.

SpecX

Has Bungie acknowledged the grimoire score difference between characters? Any plans to fix or is this the new way?

Has Bungie acknowledged the grimoire score difference between characters? Any plans to fix or is this the new way?

It was acknowledged in either the recent hot fix patch notes or weekly update. I think it is on their list of things to fix. Well annoying.

Deku Tree

Actually, The Divide and Rocket Yard spawn a lot of Quarantine and Assassination missions so imo it is worth to check out there if you need those.

I think it's just random.

Quarantine patrols are very frequent everywhere. The assasination patrols are more rare.

I went to the divide etc looking for assasination patrols a bunch and it didnt feel like they were more frequent over there to me.

Not worth walking through IMO.

Kalamari

When life gives you lemons... say fuck the lemons and bail.

I feel like running the OP quest, but I just ate a huge lunch and I think I need a nap or else I will doze off mid sesh.

LiK

Worst patrol quest is investigate the anomaly underground. That longass trek and annoying Walker fight just to scan something. Once is enough.

Conquered your fucking lag-filled sweat-a-thon Bungie.

Now give me the Hunter cape.....

0MRWSnk.jpg

JJShadow

Finally, Aksys down! Thank you so much to Ryuuga, Sheppard and LifEndz for the excellent coordination and such a great job, as well as zombiemortar and Strangelove77 for all those unsuccessful attempts, including that one when we got it at 1% and we failed haha

That was awesome guys, I've trying to kill this bitch for 3 days and finally we got it!

GhaleonEB

Just finished the Rise of Iron campaign. It's shorter than The Taken King, but I think it's probably of higher quality overall; the last mission is the best in the game so far. Certainly the production values got kicked up another notch. It's absolutely gorgeous from end to end. Destiny remains a technical marvel, polished as all hell.

Starting a new character over and going through the campaign from scratch has been a lot of fun. Despite seeing it accumulate over the past couple years, I was still taken aback at just how much there is to the game right now. Over 50 story missions, the strikes on top of them, and that's before any of the other quests. There are enough destinations, characters and story threads to make the game feel very fleshed out. The skinny boy from launch has grown up.

(My character is not raiding the vault for gear to leapfrog light levels. I wanted to see how the game is from the bottom-up, so she's earning all her own gear.)

Bungie did a pretty good job grafting the pieces together. Missions from the base game flow into The Dark Below and House of Wolves campaigns (both of which start with a mission from the base game as the lead-in), giving them continuity. The seeds of Oryx planted in the game are even more apparent now and makes things feel more cohesive.

It's clever how Bungie pivoted from talking about enemies of Darkness in the shipping game, to showing them in The Taken King. Enemies throw darkness at us or use it to smother the environment. Those spawn ball things tag you as 'shadow touched', Witches use darkness to hide in the murk, captains throw balls of blinding night at us, Oryx drains light. My hope is the game continues this show vs. tell approach to story. A "creature of the dark" actually makes sense in a non-cliche way now.

Still, big seams show. The quality of the missions leaps between campaign branches. Events in one campaign lead into things that might not have happened in another. Characters alternate between muted and passive - Cayde is a big example - taking on personality suddenly as we get to the TTK.

Some other oddities my Guardian ran into:

• During The Taken King, there are a *lot* of references to killing Crota in the raid, something this character never did. We go "back" to Crota's temple, when I'd never been there. It made me realize how odd that story might seem to someone who never raided, which is most players.
  • The House of Wolves campaign unlocks at the same time as TTK's - meaning we can watch the queen and her ship get destroyed and then have her capture the House of Wolves bad guy. (I did them in the normal order, but that's an option.)
  • Features come and go. The Ghost goes mute for the HoW and TDB campaigns, the scanning of the environment for lore pops up in TTK missions, then gets dropped again in the Rise of Iron campaign. I really hoped it would come back.
  • Story threads seem to pop up and drop, but without any feeling of progress. The world evolved a bit between expansions, but it remains static as we go through the campaign. It's an interesting problem for Destiny and I'm not sure how to solve it.
  • TDB campaign rewards you with a legendary item that requires level 40 to equip, when I was level ~12 or so. Completing HoW rewards a the legendary Vestian Dynasty, which requires level 16 to equip, when I was 24 or so. (It was also below my light level, and thus sharded.) Rewards are very uneven.
  • The grindy Taken War missions jump out even more. High value targets, kill zillions of Fallen for Variks, kill tons of Taken Champions (half of which don't even drop any loot *at all* when killed). There's far too much between actual missions, and given the volume of content in the game now feel even more like the roadblocks they were when TTK shipped. They really stick out.
  • Taken are already running around everywhere when the game starts, which makes their arrival when TTK campaign starts feel strange. It's not an event when they appear - we've already been fighting them from the beginning.

Not being allowed to choose higher difficulties to play was frustrating. The option was there until TTK came out. Right now, you outpace the recommended level very early on, by mission 4 or so. I spent most of the campaign, until TTK, 4-6 levels over the recommended light. I liked to play Halo with Heroic as the floor, and more often than not on Legendary. This is like playing between Normal and Easy most of the time.

CtLL8ILVIAEFhwO.jpg

There needs to be something in between these. Partly as a consequence, all of the gear rewards at the end of missions were far below the gear I had. They were worthless rewards after the 5th mission or so.

Progression was the biggest revelation. It really is fun being able to move forward no matter what activity I did. Every activity was advancing a quest, or dropping better gear, or notching bounties. The feeling of forward momentum is strong straight through Rise of Iron. It's night and day to how the game shipped.

Loot is amazingly generous now. Motes, engrams, legendary engrams, etc. all rain for every activity. Cashing in bounties, missions finishing, quest completions, public events. It's great.

But as with the story, there are odd seams and issues I did not expect.

The first is...gear drops early on are actually too frequent. At every mission, gear was dropping with light levels bumped up 3-4 points over my existing gear. The only times I ever actually leveled gear prior to the tail end of TTK was when I cashed in several bounties in a row, and then I'd use something for a mission or two and then swap it out. It made all of the gear feel disposable, and rather than be excited at a new drop, it was just rote to check light and swap it out without caring about what else the gear did, since it was very, very temporary. I think having gear drop ~30%-50% less often but with larger jumps would have been more satisfying. Drops would be more of an event, and I'd have gotten to level and use a weapon longer and come to value them more.

I also ran into a total drought on scout riles.

Ctqr0QHUkAAAZUG.jpg

I used this scout rifle from the middle of The Taken King all the way through to the end of Rise of Iron, including most of the Taken War mission (still have some to wrap up). Dregs took half a clip or more to kill on the last mission. I somehow beat the last level while 9 light levels under the recommendation, and with that POS gun. Paradoxically, I actually enjoyed it more - I finally had my (accidental) Legendary mode.

After I beat the last Rise of Iron level, I got my reward:

Cttl6XKUAAAufFi.jpg

I was more excited about this than the
exotic sword.
It jumped me eight light levels. :lol

That's a lot of negativity, but the reality is I've loved going through the game again. The game is just crazy polished, the gunplay is still unmatched, and still great to run into other players and do stuff together. The foundation for the game was always solid, but it's so fleshed out right now that it's bursting at the seams for a new character to go through.

Campaign wrapped (more on RoI later, but I really loved the campaign), I have an absurd number of things to work on:

Cttmf8UUIAAGCca.jpg

Lastly, I missed the memo that sidearms are beastly in PvE now, but having a weak primary pushed me to secondaries, and holy crap are they great. I used them to beast through so many missions. They're the new shotgun meta. I'm okay with that. (For the love of god don't let Sage or anyone else nerf them; Bungie has been doing this to anything that starts being fun in PvE.)

Top Bottom