• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT43| Just What the Doctor Ordered

lt519

Cool write up Ghal, seems like you'll be joining us faster than you expected when you restarted your character. Playing through it in its entirety is something I've wanted to do for a while. The new expansions have been fun in that you are constantly equipping and trying out new gear as you head towards max light level. And your right, the game is stunningly beautiful and is super smooth. Playing a game like No Man's Sky and or Fallout 4 and coming back to Destiny is unbelievable.

Whelp, clan just tried the raid
final boss second phase
in earnest after our half-hearted attempt last night. We figured out the mechanics, man they are a doozy and require quite a bit of coordination. Unfortunately our current strategy is not getting enough DPS. We've made it through a few phases but barely tickled the boss. I think we are going to throw in the towel and look at what the rest of the Destiny world is doing to beat it. We have 3 people over 370 and 3 under 370 and it just seems that add control gets out of hand and we can't do enough boss DPS.

I've been wanting to give the campaign a run through again but it's a big time commitment and i've been too distracted. I just want to sit down and do it start to finish and not be interrupted by nonsense.

I wish Dreg's Promise wasn't exotic either because i really like using it out on patrol. Just not enough to give up Bolt Caster.

daedalius

Good post ghal, my wife and I really enjoyed the ROI campaign as well.

I usually also play halo on heroic or legendary, it would be nice if destiny had an in between hard for when you're low level on those early missions. Or if you could toggle on modifiers and difficulties or something, to give yourself a better chance at a reward.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So anyone need a GraveRobberX?

I need 3 Nightfalls
Warlock (373) & Titan (371) need to do full raid, hopefully with monitors
Anyone need me before I go LFG?

GhaleonEB

Cool write up Ghal, seems like you'll be joining us faster than you expected when you restarted your character. Playing through it in its entirety is something I've wanted to do for a while. The new expansions have been fun in that you are constantly equipping and trying out new gear as you head towards max light level. And your right, the game is stunningly beautiful and is super smooth. Playing a game like No Man's Sky and or Fallout 4 and coming back to Destiny is unbelievable.

Yeah, it really is. I think the technical polish in Destiny is under-appreciated. Playing through to this point took over a week, but I also played for several hours every day; Destiny re-hooked me.

I'm going fo chip away at missions for a few days, then look into getting back into the groove with DGAF. I'll need help with Nightfalls! :D

Deku Tree

Sleeper Simulant > Gjallarhorn for the final part of the raid. Good Lord what a difference.

Sleeper is the DPS champ when you hit your crits. No question about it. There was a post on reddit about it the other day and the player said that Sleeper does like 50K crit damage and a Ghorn shot does around 30K crit damage. And you get 9 Sleeper shots vs 5-6 Ghorn shots.

But keep in mind that Sleeper needs to charge so it's slower. It is harder to hit moving targets with Sleeper. And you have to worry about hitting crits with Sleeper, alternatively you just point Ghorn at the boss and shoot.

Usually for the groups that I have been in doing WotM this week DPS has not been a problem, so I would say Ghorn is better because it gives you more versatility and it's easier to kill captains with Ghorn.

Also your raid took 5 hours to complete.

deafmedal

Hello, we are looking for 2 PSN guardians to help with finishing the raid from phase 1. Experience preferred and ~370ish light if possible.

1. me
2. Harlan
3. OMGBees
4. McArkus
5. ???
6. ???

Starting when full!

Is there any reason not to use a skeleton key at the end of a strike? I've been stuck on LL 352 for a while and wondering if it'll be worth it to use now

Deku Tree

Is there any reason not to use a skeleton key at the end of a strike? I've been stuck on LL 352 for a while and wondering if it'll be worth it to use now

Each strike has different unique strike loot. There is a guide on reddit about which strikes drop what. The Keys are rare so you want to use the keys to open the chest where you have a chance to get the loot that you are interested in getting. Also Strike chest loot goes up to 385. So you may benefit from waiting until you are 365 or higher to use your skelton keys.

XAL

Infuse the already decrypted blues that the heroic strike bosses drop.

After you're 365 then use treasure keys.

The only way you can get past 365 is infusing exotics from engrams, raid gear, naturally rolling your faction vendors, and skeleton key loot.

Blue engrams stop decoding at 340 and purples stop decoding at 365.

Zakalwe

Banned
It melts everything. So good.

As expected haha. Taking two people through who never did it before, and our clan doesn't raid as a whole all that much haha. We had a blast though, which is all that matters! :p

And charges your abilities in seconds. It's beastly.

In PvP, the 14 impact archetype just can't compete with 7 impact (PDX-45/Hawksaw) or 4 impact (Grasp) because they still require 3 headshots to kill.

I don't really think this is true. I've had about 5-6 Hawksaws, a Grasp and a PDX-45, and while I don't have a single bad thing to say about them I've got a PDX-41 with Hammer Forged & Perfect Balance that I use over all of them. I don't think that tiny RoF bump on the others automatically negates the double impact and extra range unless you're a deadshot who lands all 9 head shots every time. And getting a Grasp to drop with the near or at max stability you can more easily get from the others takes a minor miracle. It really all comes down to the roll.

All that being said, I don't like the feel of the Hopscotch much for some reason, even though I've got one where the numbers say it should be about as good if not better than my PDX. I've had a couple of 100% stability rolls that I just don't want to use.

Doberu

anyone doing the pulse quest. I need 3 strikes to complete. and I'm willing to stick around for the rest. I'm a hunter and on psn.

molnizzle

I really wish that rewards were based on your maximum possible light instead of your actual current light. Forces you to decide between your PvP or PvE gear to level up first. Then it's frustrating when you have to do Crucible with gear you don't like using in PvP just in case you get some rewards at the end.

Was hoping this would be addressed in this expansion. =/

I really wish that rewards were based on your maximum possible light instead of your actual current light. Forces you to decide between your PvP or PvE gear to level up first. Then it's frustrating when you have to do Crucible with gear you don't like using in PvP just in case you get some rewards at the end.

Or you could just throw all your marks shards and motes into one gear set and end up broke like me.

lt519

That is a really good idea actually.

The more I think about it the more I am bummed about the DPS check of the final boss. We've got the mechanics nailed but artificially bumping the last fight to 380 seemed unnecessary.

Yeah, it really is. I think the technical polish in Destiny is under-appreciated. Playing through to this point took over a week, but I also played for several hours every day; Destiny re-hooked me.

I'm going fo chip away at missions for a few days, then look into getting back into the groove with DGAF. I'll need help with Nightfalls! :D

Unfortunately the new raid fails on this regard. A particular section on the raid that lasts 10 minutes or so if you do it correctly has the fps consistently at the teens. My fps actually hit 0 once in this section when i triggered firefly and there was a tether and storm trance on my screen, i thought my game crashed, but right after the fps jumped up to 8 fps and stayed there lmao. Very underwhelming honestly that it shipped this way, i hope they fix it because the boss fight is awesome but very much less enjoyable because of garbage fps.

shem935

Banned
Would anyone like to run a passage or two? I'm just going for the quest wins, not looking to go flawless.

PSN is greyblade.

Sure. I will message you and switch. Hunter 368.

General advice: Would it be worth the light hit to take mida into Trials? Puts me down to 366

Deku Tree

A lot of PvP players just focus on maxing out perfect PvP gear, and then they might just use it in the raid too
because PvE is easy lol.

On the other hand the perks on the raid armor is very OP in the raid so...

Unfortunately the new raid fails on this regard. A particular section on the raid that lasts 10 minutes or so if you do it correctly has the fps consistently at the teens. My fps actually hit 0 once in this section when i triggered firefly and there was a tether and storm trance on my screen, i thought my game crashed, but right after the fps jumped up to 8 fps and stayed there lmao. Very underwhelming honestly that it shipped this way, i hope they fix it because the boss fight is awesome but very much less enjoyable because of garbage fps.

Do you play on a monitor that shows you the actual FPS counter? Bungie has the frame rate on that section of the raid on their list of known issues.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
And clan raid complete! They were so excited haha. 👌👌

A8HL8rK.jpg

Congrats! It's such a great/fun raid, even though I haven't completed it yet.

And excellent write-up, Ghal. You make some great points about the story and rewards.

molnizzle

A lot of PvP players just focus on maxing out perfect PvP gear, and then they might just use it in the raid too
because PvE is easy lol.

This is what I was gonna do, but...

On the other hand the perks on the raid armor is very OP in the raid so...

The raid perks are so good. So then I have to decide between being slightly gimped for raiding or slightly gimped for Trials, since no matter what I choose I'm always gonna wear my highest light gear so my rewards will be higher. Really, really sucks.

Any good shotguns for pve I can buy with marks? I don't have a decent shotgun and I have a ton of marks.

Not really sure about everything that's on sale ATM but the main thing to look out for is a high rate of fire & ammo count, imo. The only time you'll really be whipping out a shotgun is when A) you're getting rushed by a mob & need to fire at multiple targets quickly, or B) a major is right on top of you. Range & impact matter a lot in Crucible, but they just don't matter as much in PvE as being able to empty 3 shells into a captain or wizard quickly, that'll take them down faster than anything in my experience.

I've got a Stolen Will which you can't buy, but it fires faster than some hand cannons. It's way more valuable in the field than my Matador or Party Crasher.

Barring that high RoF archetype, the Last Ditch that Dead Orbit has right now has got a lot of people talking & is a generally great shotgun that'll serve you well in PvP and be solid & reliable but maybe not spectacular in PvE.

Top Bottom