• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Xbox LFG was a rare success tonight. Took forever but all challenges completed. Deathsinger was 9 seconds too long though... least I got my Oversoul Adapt :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't find the PVP side fun to play at all, and I'm not alone in that. That's why it would have been better, if they had offered another quest in the last update, that PVE players could actually finish.

That's also my main worry, along with PVE nerfs due to PVP, with the sequel. It makes me think twice about paying a full price for a game, if its quests and events favor a side that I'm never going to play.

I hate the PVP in this game. That said, two Shaxx weekly bounties are very easy to do, since his bounties are designed to be those that get completed just by playing, rather than requiring you to be an MLG-level player. Or even win matches.

And the Speaker's quest isn't the only one added with AoT. There's a quest for the Y3 version of the Crota's End Y1 exotic weapon. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another quest for the Y3 version of the Vault of Glass Y1 exotic weapon, too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't find the PVP side fun to play at all, and I'm not alone in that.

No, that's totally fine. But this specific quest is meant to be a guide through Destiny's activities from vanilla to Rise of Iron so it makes sense to have some PvP in there.

It's only one step out of eight anyway and really easy to get done.

Daffy Duck

This game is confusing as hell with all the expansions as to what missions are early story missions and what aren't.

Nearly did the first dark below mission at level 9 yesterday.

I take it at this level any weapons and gear I get I just dismantle all the old stuff as it's useless as I level up.

Melchiah

I hate the PVP in this game. That said, two Shaxx weekly bounties are very easy to do, since his bounties are designed to be those that get completed just by playing, rather than requiring you to be an MLG-level player. Or even win matches.

And the Speaker's quest isn't the only one added with AoT. There's a quest for the Y3 version of the Crota's End Y1 exotic weapon. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another quest for the Y3 version of the Vault of Glass Y1 exotic weapon, too.

Oh, there's a raid quest as well? Hopefully I can gather my old team members for it. Most of them have abandoned the game a long time ago though. =/ It would be nice to play a challenging version of Crota as well, since I've only played it once between TTK and the April 2016 update.

No, that's totally fine. But this specific quest is meant to be a guide through Destiny's activities from vanilla to Rise of Iron so it makes sense to have some PvP in there.

It's only one step out of eight anyway and really easy to get done.

The thing is, I don't like PVP in any game. Even in TLOU, which is one of my all-time favorites, and is highly praised for its competitive mode. I've tried some PVP modes in the past, including Destiny's, but I just don't find them enjoyable to play. For that reason, I've missed some exotic gear in the game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This game is confusing as hell with all the expansions as to what missions are early story missions and what aren't.

Hm? I'm pretty sure every single story mission that isn't from vanilla Destiny has a big label at the top that says which expansion it's from.

dh4niel

It does?

Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't see anything on the director screen.

Yep. They do. It's not always clear what order you're meant to do them in unless you're tracking them from the progress screen though. I would be alot better if you could just filter all missions by expansion, type, etc.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ugh.

The Treasure of Ages boxes are glitched. Because of course they are.

I didn't get a box for completing the Weekly Story. The two people I was in a Fireteam with got their boxes but I didn't.

(And no, I didn't play the Daily Story between reset and the update. The list of rewards clearly stated "Treasure of Ages" before the mission. Then it was gone after. But no drop.)

Ugh.

The Treasure of Ages boxes are glitched. Because of course they are.

I didn't get a box for completing the Weekly Story. The two people I was in a Fireteam with got their boxes but I didn't.

(And no, I didn't play the Daily Story between reset and the update. The list of rewards clearly stated "Treasure of Ages" before the mission. Then it was gone after. But no drop.)

Same, I didn't get the box from the weekly heroic strike.

Not that it matters, the "loot" pool for these boxes is so bad that even if you paid $100 for the boxes, you could end up not getting the item(s) you want.

illamap

Bought the game from psn sale. I have couple of questions.

I was playing quest devils lair were it put me together with two other players, is this mandatory to advance main questline?

In said quest first there was wave encounter which took quite the while. However after it there was devil something tank and it took forever (15-20mins) to beat, but we failed at last moment and had to start all over again. So my question is is this really supposed to take so long?

Bought the game from psn sale. I have couple of questions.

I was playing quest devils lair were it put me together with two other players, is this mandatory to advance main questline?

In said quest first there was wave encounter which took quite the while. However after it there was devil something tank and it took forever (15-20mins) to beat, but we failed at last moment and had to start all over again. So my question is is this really supposed to take so long?

Tank has weak points that make the fight quicker. Aim for the legs until you destroy the armor protecting one this will cause the "head" to extend outwards and expose another weak point for a short window of time that when attacked causes critical damage.

How do people on Xbox tend to assemble: here in thread or on Discord? (And on Discord, how does the @xbox tag work? Will it notify me automatically or do I have to flag myself as an Xbox person?)

Discord. Ask one of the mods there to give you the Xbox role and you'll receive notifications for @xbox. Haven't used the Xbox LFG.

is this mandatory to advance main questline?
That was a strike. There are some quests that require you to do them, but maybe not for a while. Since voice chat is opt-in. You can just think of the other two people as AI with inconsistent AI.

The Y2/3 strikes tend to be faster and less 'stand around shooting while the ghost unlocks a door'. As you gain experience, abilities, and better guns they go faster too.

Redownloaded Destiny. Want to have one last run at it now and over the summer before D2. Think im up at like 370ish light. Does the AoT update vendors sell like 385 gear or anything? I've not even done the WoTM raid yet lol

I just want all the VOG primaries and the Sniper this week and I'm good. Fuck the Kings Fall and Wrath of The Machine weapons(Except The Genesis Chain)

Helped fellow gaffer WildfireEx get to the lighthouse for the first time yesterday and boy was the last game a roller coaster of emotions.

Its the third card (first was scrapped at the beggining, second we lost at final boss no mercy), and we are at final boss no mercy again, we start the game good and when are up 2-0 Wildfire left the party chat and the game and we are like oh my fucking god kill me now this game sucks. But then! he reconnects the following round and we are like thank fucking god this game aint so bad after all. But then! he drops out AGAIN when its 4-1 and we just ONE more round to close it out and we are like FUCK. But then! he reconnects again at the last second and we finish the game as fast as we can (in a few seconds, we werent letting that happen again). Flawless get, mercury virgin deflowered.

Od1xbQs.jpg

The best part? He got the RNG-iest emblem of trials aka the new cat emblem in that lighthouse game. The emblem where you gotta win game after game in a complete trials card (so 9 wins and however many losses before you get eliminated) to get it. I have seen people farm 50+ games in a row for that emblem and not get it. I have only seem someone get it right on their flawless game once before and that was another lucky ass gaffer EJRobinson.

Nori Chan

Is there a write up anywhere to find out the new stuff within this update somewhere? I'd really like to get back into this game and finish off the book to get that shirt before destiny 2 hits

EL CUCO

I'm getting some real sweaty people in Rumble today 😓 trying to get used to this new sidearm meta, but I just can't.. I miss my special ammo.

darthbob

Emblems haven't actually been mentioned in any of the Bungie responses afaik. It's the one area where there's literally no reason they couldn't transfer over.

I'd imagine that emblems wouldn't transfer if the "emblem system" in D2 is changed from D1. For all we know Bungo could have changed the dimensions that emblems are displayed at, or just completely revamped how they look entirely.

Deku Tree

Emblems haven't actually been mentioned in any of the Bungie responses afaik. It's the one area where there's literally no reason they couldn't transfer over.

Bungie doesn't want new buyers to feel left behind. That's the reason things aren't transferring over. They need to expand the base. That's a lot more than "no reason".

Mejilan

Oh, there's a raid quest as well? Hopefully I can gather my old team members for it. Most of them have abandoned the game a long time ago though. =/ It would be nice to play a challenging version of Crota as well, since I've only played it once between TTK and the April 2016 update.

It actually starts outside the raid, but does culminate with that activity before you can claim the updated exotic. Not a terribly long quest, and it's quite similar to the old Y1 process of getting that weapon. Minus the ludicrous RNG that prevented me from getting the Y1 version until a few weeks before Rise of Iron hit. The new version of the weapon is even pretty fun for PVE now. Previously, it's signature perk required headshot kills. Body shots will now proc it.

The thing is, I don't like PVP in any game. Even in TLOU, which is one of my all-time favorites, and is highly praised for its competitive mode. I've tried some PVP modes in the past, including Destiny's, but I just don't find them enjoyable to play. For that reason, I've missed some exotic gear in the game.

PVP is garbage. But over the years, they've redesigned most of the quest steps and key bounties such that merely playing the required game modes will eventually take you to the next step. For example, the two Shaxx weekly bounties this week (for Control and Supremacy) require no match wins. Just match clears and other shit that will complete just by participating in matches. Capturing zones, assists, primary weapon kills, reclaiming blue crests before the other team can navigate them, etc. For Destiny, they're basically the equivalent of busy work and fetch quests for me, in other RPGs. Rarely enjoyed, but occasionally worth doing depending on rewards.

For this quest, yeah, it's just a dumb class item, but it's a unique one and is one of the few that's Chroma-compatible. That's good enough for me to go for it. Just on my main, though. The Hunter and Titan will have to do without, as they do for most of the more annoying quest lines. My Warlock is the only character I have without any outstanding/abandoned quests. The other two simply aren't a priority for me.

As mentioned by others, this AoT Speaker quest is literally a tour of all things Destiny. Story missions, patrols, public events, heroic strikes, nightfall strikes, challenge of elders, PVP, and raids. They've really downplayed the PVP angle of the game, as the quest heavily skews PVE. As it should, IMO. Put out a call here on GAF to crew up for the PVP as well as things like the NF, CoE, and Raid, and you'll have it cleared in no time.

Mejilan

Do emblems even carry over to D2?

Doubtful. However, they did promise that veteran players will receive certain honors in the sequel. I expect that new, exclusive emblems (and/or other cosmetics) will be awarded to veterans according to what they accomplished in D1. I expect a system similar to how the new Age of Triumphs record book works, with a page dedicated to returning players that isn't available to new Guardians and isn't required to 100% the book.

Does every node in the AoT Record Book need to be unlocked to reach Rank 7? I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on this.

I saw Ruthless_Barbarian was Rank 6 at like 94% completion which would make it seem like every node completed was needed to get there.

Does every node in the AoT Record Book need to be unlocked to reach Rank 7? I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on this.

I saw Ruthless_Barbarian was Rank 6 at like 94% completion which would make it seem like every node completed was needed to get there.

Bungie has said that not every node needs to be completed but they didn't specify exactly how much of the book needs to be done for Rank 7.

The only thing I know for certain that doesn't need to be done is the node for the Lighthouse. You can get page completion for the Trials section of the book without that.

Can I get a summary of the reactions to the AoT book? I just heard about it a few minutes ago, and I thought there would be complaints. I can't find any on the internet.

Mejilan

My record book hit rank 7 and 100% after popping 63 or 64 of the 96 available nodes. I've since popped a few more nodes, and the percent hasn't gone up any further.

So yes, you can entirely avoid the PVP nodes and still unlock all of the rank-specific rewards.

Book was awesome. I hope Destiny 2 launches with something this comprehensive and rewarding, with spoiler bits obfuscated with ???s where appropriate.

lol I finished the book and sold the code online a day ago :p

You don't need everything. You can skip 2-3 pages and still get it easily.

Can I reach 400 in just the Crucible and nothing else?

Yes but you can't target specific pieces of gear like armor, artifacts, etc. Crucible drops are weapons and ghosts. Also why would you suffer the broken crucible when you can easily level up by doing some strikes, archons forge and nightfall + bounties?

I'm sure you have a decent amount of mats - just donate to factions and get those reward packages.

What's the code for?

Do I need to do all this stuff to get veteran rewards in D2? halp

Just like last time, the code lets you buy an ugly t-shirt from the bungie store.

Yes, you grind the game to get a code which allows you to pay money to bungle for a tshirt.

Nothing is carrying over to Destiny 2, so no.

Deku Tree

My record book hit rank 7 and 100% after popping 63 or 64 of the 96 available nodes. I've since popped a few more nodes, and the percent hasn't gone up any further.

So yes, you can entirely avoid the PVP nodes and still unlock all of the rank-specific rewards.

Book was awesome. I hope Destiny 2 launches with something this comprehensive and rewarding, with spoiler bits obfuscated with ???s where appropriate.

But completing all eight nodes on each page gives you a page specific emblem. I like the raid page emblem. And I only care about rank 6 because I don't want to buy the tshirt. Actually the rank 6 emblem is ugly so I don't care about my rank anymore.

Mejilan

But completing all eight nodes on each page gives you a page specific emblem. I like the raid page emblem. And I only care about rank 6 because I don't want to buy the tshirt. Actually the rank 6 emblem is ugly so I don't care about my rank anymore.

Yeah, there are of node-specific emblems. But nothing contributes to the overall percentage once you've hit 100%. And at this point in the game, cosmetics are less than worthless, since they apparently won't carry over to the sequel.

Perineum

If anyone ends up not wanting to use their code for the t shirt let me know. I do want to get the shirt, but I am struggling even hitting rank 4 in my book.

Dynomutt

What's good Destiny Gaf! Getting amped for Destiny 2 has given me the trigger finger to get back in! By chance somehow I have access to complete Taken King and will get the ROI add-on. I've been using reddit's new player and returning player guide's to get caught up as well as the usual LFG etc...

I am Lvl 36 and 173 Light.

My Legend just in case:
https://www.bungie.net/en/Legend/Gear/2/4611686018428603700/2305843009215429310

Stats:
http://destinytracker.com/destiny/overview/ps/akrynym_one

As you can see I have not played in sometime 2015! I was religious up until HoW's and then got into Uncharted for a bit then Mordor now Horizon.

Been through the times when you could choose who went through the portal to defeat Aetheon, Earned the Gally when the wolves were at full force! I miss this game. Good times good memories!

I would really appreciate any additional insight you folks have. Looking like first step is to run through the story mode (Taken King) to lvl up.

Thank you all in advance!

Hit me up if you like: [PS4] Akrynym_one

Take care and have a great weekend everyone! See you in the Tower and beyond!

If anyone is running raid, I have a Croat checkpoint.

Group couldn't get it done :(

I'm a 399 Warlock, not a sword Bearer but if anyone is running the raid, invite me as I just want it done.

I have a gally, have an icebreaker - prefer to be part of group doing challenge

PS4: Pacificsun0481

Did you get a group together? I just really want the Warlock helmet.

I mean, I'd be down for a full chill raid, but I haven't done CE in a long while and I am pretty sure I've never done it sans cheese. Never been sword bearer.

Lasty95

D2 hype and Triumph have pulled me back in.

Mainly a crucible player, I've spent a good few hours with the current meta and seems like things right now are about as good as it's been for a year or more.

Still loads of issues in there and it's still a shadow of what it was, but there's enough to get me playing again.

What hasn't changed at all is people's staggering inability to understand the fundamentals of how to play Control. It boggles my mind!

Toddler

Did you get a group together? I just really want the Warlock helmet.

I mean, I'd be down for a full chill raid, but I haven't done CE in a long while and I am pretty sure I've never done it sans cheese. Never been sword bearer.

If y'all are trying to get a group together (on PS4) I'd like to join. Haven't had time to do the raid this week till today, plus I need to finish the Necro quest on my Hunter.

xTODDLERx

Top Bottom