• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Complete fail of a Crota run. Ugh.

Hey guys, help me out here, is this correct?

When a Raid is chosen as the weekly, you get random drops after each section. And you get an ornament for beating it.

But you can 100% get an ornament to drop from each challenge once per week. And you have a CHANCE at getting an exotic primary if you do a challenge. Or are they both 100%?

And is that per account or character?

Finally, if you have Wish to Eao active, how exactly does that impact you after each "encounter?" And is that only if you fight a boss or does it count for each "section" where stuff drops? (Okay, one more: and is it suggested you use Wish to Eao in specific encounters?)

Okay, that's it. THANKS.

You can get 7 ornaments a week. (maybe 10 for KF). 1 for each challenge and 1 for your first completion of the week. (3x2 +1). Exotic Adept weapons drop from completing a challenge and seem to be 100%. I haven't heard anyone say they didn't get one. But maybe there's a small chance you can't.

Once Knuckles of Eao are used, the next raid encounter you complete will consume it. It should give you double drops but I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak from experience. I know it says your wish is granted in the bottom left corner though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I got an ornament and an elemental primary exotic weapon from every challenge mode. Seems to be guaranteed. Other stuff is random.

Good to know. So that leaves two questions:

If you have Wish to Eao active, what exactly does it do?

And is the ornament/exotic primary per character or account?

You can get 7 ornaments a week. (maybe 10 for KF). 1 for each challenge and 1 for your first completion of the week. (3x2 +1). Exotic Adept weapons drop from completing a challenge and seem to be 100%. I haven't heard anyone say they didn't get one. But maybe there's a small chance you can't.

Once Knuckles of Eao are used, the next raid encounter you complete will consume it. It should give you double drops but I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak from experience. I know it says your wish is granted in the bottom left corner though.

Awesome, thank you!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Great raid folks. We knocked out both challenges, and even took someone through that's never done Crota before, any year. Well done all.
And thanks to you bunch, I got my Necrochasm and Bond of Legend.
Sure, both could have waited until next week... But why?

thanks all, good time

Yup, had a blast! Thanks for coming along!

Good raid everyone!

Cheers! Thanks for explaining the challenges to the newcomers!

Clunker

Thanks to Korly and GoodCoffeeJoey for some NF runs. Sorry I couldn't chat, my wife and dogs were asleep on couch next to me. I got a Husk to drop as well on that last run, so even bigger bonus!

Very cool to be back into the scene - I haven't played seriously since right around WotM hard mode came out. I'm going to hopefully be available to raid more the next few weeks, so anyone on Xbox (especially if you can play morning & afternoon EST), hit me up. :)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Got the Cayde-6 pre-order statue

Very small, but sturdy
There goes $5 free to Gamestop, like I care, got the Pre-Order bonus

Pre-Orders all 3 McFarlane toys on amazon, including Shaxx but he's October release
The Titan, Hunter, Warlock release August 30th

Saving up for the $150 Gjallarhorn

ZeoVGM

Banned
Damn, Activision had the Destiny 2 trailer play during The Walking Dead finale.

This game is going to be so damn huge.

Hesemonni

Banned
I've seen some variations on how to do Crota: some split the party in two, some camp in cheese spot on the right hand side with or without caring about Knights in the tower. Which is the preferred way to go?

I've seen some variations on how to do Crota: some split the party in two, some camp in cheese spot on the right hand side with or without caring about Knights in the tower. Which is the preferred way to go?

Didn't matter. I've done it both ways, best way is to have a Swordbearer with weapons of light to go ham. One run we killed one knight, another we killed both knights and the Wizard. Both won.

glaurung

1. Kill all adds that spawn inside the crystal room hallways.
  2. Entire party exists from the left-hand door.
  3. Clear the left-hand tower of knights, kill wizard as it flies out.
  4. Weapons of Light bubble on the climbing rocks left of the throne.
  5. Tether Crota as necessary.
  6. Shoot rockets, wait for swordtaker to go bam-bam, shoot rockets again, swordtaker does his thing again, the rest of the party uses snipers to take down Oversoul.
  7. Repeat.
Guaranteed to kill Crota in two swords.

black stig

Neo Member
Been running with teams using Nighthawk Hunters to one-shot the oversoul. Titan Blessings at the top of the stairs also works well to protect the team downing Crota.

1 run left to do today on my Warlock. Could be up for an afternoon run UK time.

Only need Word then I have all adept primaries from Crota. Crazy number of arc burn options in the primary slot now. Keeping a spot clear for an adept Vision of Confluence though...

XAL

Man I would love to do ONE 390 Crota run to get both challenge modes and finish the necro quest....but the only raid groups I have on my list just blow their 3x run on reset and don't want to raid extra after that.

I'm tempted to use one of those raid for pay deals, trying to find a competent group to take the lead is really frustrating.

I really hope there is some kind of matchmaking or in-game sherpa system for D2. Finding people to raid with is the most disheartening thing about this game.

I have 3 400LL characters with good gear and weapons and LFG requirements still kind of demanding.

glaurung

Man I would love to do ONE 390 Crota run to get both challenge modes and finish the necro quest....but the only raid groups I have on my list just blow their 3x run on reset and don't want to raid extra after that.

I'm tempted to use one of those raid for pay deals, trying to find a competent group to take the lead is really frustrating.

I really hope there is some kind of matchmaking or in-game sherpa system for D2. Finding people to raid with is the most disheartening thing about this game.

I have 3 400LL characters with good gear and weapons and LFG requirements still kind of demanding.
You're breaking my heart. I recommend you try the Recruitment forums on bungie.net. It is very likely you get blueberries and morons like that, but every now and then, a true LFG team rears its head. They will fight to get the loot, they will wipe, but they will get the job done. Just don't be afraid to tell them that you need guidance.

black stig

Neo Member
You're breaking my heart. I recommend you try the Recruitment forums on bungie.net. It is very likely you get blueberries and morons like that, but every now and then, a true LFG team rears its head. They will fight to get the loot, they will wipe, but they will get the job done. Just don't be afraid to tell them that you need guidance.

I've had to rely on LFG over the last few days. Very mixed experience. We had a fantastic sherpa last night join who had helped with over 30 390 clears.

I'm rusty but found that good groups take time to run through each encounter, explaining roles and positions before starting. Groups/individuals that just go at it with no or poor comms will generally fail.

+1 for better LFG or in-game MM options in D2.

Waldini

GAF! Help me out ... I've come out of hibernation and alot of shit has changed.

What are the must-have Vendor weapons now? Is there a thing I need to grind for?

Finally got to run Crota hard last night.

Everyone in my clan is 400 light, etc etc, I'm a measly 392 but at least I take direction well. At least two were Leroy Jenkins types. (Can't leave clan, they are all my friends and cousins)

Anyway, getting them across the bridge was a damn nightmare (cool twist to the end!)

The Death Singer portion took at least 45 minutes, people either died immediately or whatever, it sucked (and thanks to them "fixing skorri for 'pvp'" waiting for supers to recharge was a pain in the ass. We did eventually defeat it, I got adept fang of Ir yut which made me very happy because that was my favorite scout rifle, got sword breaker and oversoul edict (never had that before is it any good?)

As far as Crota.......An hour of trying and coming close and no cigar. Ended up signing off at 2 in the morning. Why do hunters think they are invincible and can't stand where they are told?

/Rant
GAF! Help me out ... I've come out of hibernation and alot of shit has changed.

What are the must-have Vendor weapons now? Is there a thing I need to grind for?
Vendor weapons re roll on Tuesdays now

Would anyone like to get a group together for the Death Singer < 2 minute challenge? 2:02 is my best so far! I can be on this evening from 7. (GMT+1 time)

This week's Dead Orbit Keystone looks pretty good!

As far as Crota.......An hour of trying and coming close and no cigar. Ended up signing off at 2 in the morning. Why do hunters think they are invincible and can't stand where they are told?

/Rant
That's incredibly frustrating.

Where was the person supposed to be standing and what we're they doing instead?

That's incredibly frustrating.

Where was the person supposed to be standing and what we're they doing instead?
We has 3 hunters and 3 Titans

We were doing weapons of light blessings for every sword swing, rotating.

Hunters were supposed to be on second over soul duty with that one shot golden gun, dude (my cousin) kept going past the line and getting pummeled, or killing too many knights and triggering the wizard, or thinking he could tank an ogre, it was just.....Really frustrating. (None of which is as bad as him and his friend who couldn't grasp the 3 plate's idea for the bridge) We could have beat him if the last sword carrier didn't get stuck on a random bungie rock/objects and couldn't jump up for the second swing

We has 3 hunters and 3 Titans

We were doing weapons of light blessings for every sword swing, rotating.

Hunters were supposed to be on second over soul duty with that one shot golden gun, dude (my cousin) kept going past the line and getting pummeled, or killing too many knights and triggering the wizard, or thinking he could tank an ogre, it was just.....Really frustrating. (None of which is as bad as him and his friend who couldn't grasp the 3 plate's idea for the bridge) We could have beat him if the last sword carrier didn't get stuck on a random bungie rock/objects and couldn't jump up for the second swing
We had the same issue during one of our alt character runs, with a couple random LFGers. They, for some reason, just could not grasp the fact that they needed to shoot at the Oversoul, despite being told to do so multiple times. It was about midnight at that point so I called it and we gave up. Finished Crota the next day with one extra clan member and one random LFGer in 3 tries lol.

Hey guys, I ran the Raids a couple times this weekend and 2 of the 3 runs, the LFG'ers were adament on no t killing the Knights and Wizard during the Crota fight. On my third run, we decided to kill the knights and Wizard.

The third one was by far the easiest. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

Hey guys, I ran the Raids a couple times this weekend and 2 of the 3 runs, the LFG'ers were adament on no t killing the Knights and Wizard during the Crota fight. On my third run, we decided to kill the knights and Wizard.

The third one was by far the easiest. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?

They used to be majors in HM and the strat we regularly used would avoid killing them and just use a distraction bubble, but now that they're normal enemies there's no reason not to kill them.

They used to be majors in HM and the strat we regularly used would avoid killing them and just use a distraction bubble, but now that they're normal enemies there's no reason not to kill them.
^ this.

They are red bars now so, there's no reason not to kill them. When we run out of the crystal room, we have one person dedicated to sniping the left knights and one sniping the right knights. The wizards are taken down around the same time we are taking Crota's shield. When the second round of knights are coming out, we are using the Titan bubble to shield from them if there's a second Oversoul, or we're ignoring them and running back to the crystal room or down to the front right room for ogres, etc.

Just go outside from the same side, the boomers on the other side don't even aggro at all.

Red bar knights and wizards, no reason not to kill them.
If Crota is center or center left when the sword carrier runs up there, the left knights will sometimes aggro. That's obviously a situational thing, but we take all 4 knights and both wizards just in case Crota gets nimble up there.

EL CUCO

Yup. Also, we didn't have the chalice available to us before.

So coming back to this after having given up on the game after the first expansion, looks like quite a bit has changed. I have used the item to level up to 40 but obviously my light level is pretty low, just started the house of wolves and got a few questions.

1) Is all my year one exotic gear redundant now? Tried ascending one weapon and it's damage is low. Do I just scrap it and wait for drops/purchase all new?

2) I am being prompted with the original missions from vanilla and the first expansion, even though I have completed these. Is it some sort of glitch?

3) Any tips on the systems that have changed while I was away?

Concerning Crota, we didn't bother with the Boomers at all and if you're looking for a safe spot then right to the left of the middle-ledge (where most used to down Crota) in the corner is a good spot as the Knights don't even seem to notice you're there. A couple rockets and he's down (Have the Swordbearer count down from "3, 2, 1, Down Crota").

Just take out the Hive-Swordbearer quickly, have a Titan in the general area to pop Weapons of Light for the Player-Swordbearer, do the countdown to down Crota, attack Crota, everyone else focus on Oversoul, rinse & repeat, and collect rewards after two cycles.

Trakan

Would anyone like to get a group together for the Death Singer < 2 minute challenge? 2:02 is my best so far! I can be on this evening from 7. (GMT+1 time)

I saw this video last night of a run some group did in 1:09. It's pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2EO5NyUEI

^ this.

They are red bars now so, there's no reason not to kill them.

IMO the reason is it's 3 extra enemies you don't have to kill, and the wizard flies around making it a bit harder to hit. A distraction bubble works great and everyone can focus on crota.

rezn0r

So coming back to this after having given up on the game after the first expansion, looks like quite a bit has changed. I have used the item to level up to 40 but obviously my light level is pretty low, just started the house of wolves and got a few questions.

1) Is all my year one exotic gear redundant now? Tried ascending one weapon and it's damage is low. Do I just scrap it and wait for drops/purchase all new?

2) I am being prompted with the original missions from vanilla and the first expansion, even though I have completed these. Is it some sort of glitch?

3) Any tips on the systems that have changed while I was away?

Welcome back!

1. Yes, year 1 gear is useless now - however they added exotic kiosks so anything you had unlocked you can re-buy for either exotic shards or legendary marks, depending on if you've "unlocked" the year 2 equivalent. You can see these kiosks in the back room of the center of the tower - where you see the Vanguard NPCs (underneath the bounty NPC). Your best bet is to just break these down to get the exotic shards, which will be useful for where you're at.

2. I'm guessing since you last played so far back these are quests popping up for you that were added with The Taken King. If you did finish these missions they are safe to abandon (open quest & hold the button to abandon) - you can get them back if you want at a similar kiosk in the same room to the right. If you need to level up a bit the quests may help with fast xp, I am not too sure, I never had them show up for me. I'm a loser and had been playing since day 1.

3. This is a real general question, you may want to post a few exact systems you're wondering about. A ton has changed (mostly for the better). It's much much easier to level up now. I guess some general advice would be to just keep grinding out missions and quests you haven't done yet, and rank up everything you possibly can. Just doing that will get you close to 400.

Welcome back!

1. Yes, year 1 gear is useless now - however they added exotic kiosks so anything you had unlocked you can re-buy for either exotic shards or legendary marks, depending on if you've "unlocked" the year 2 equivalent. You can see these kiosks in the back room of the center of the tower - where you see the Vanguard NPCs (underneath the bounty NPC). Your best bet is to just break these down to get the exotic shards, which will be useful for where you're at.

2. I'm guessing since you last played so far back these are quests popping up for you that were added with The Taken King. If you did finish these missions they are safe to abandon (open quest & hold the button to abandon) - you can get them back if you want at a similar kiosk in the same room to the right. If you need to level up a bit the quests may help with fast xp, I am not too sure, I never had them show up for me. I'm a loser and had been playing since day 1.

3. This is a real general question, you may want to post a few exact systems you're wondering about. A ton has changed (mostly for the better). It's much much easier to level up now. I guess some general advice would be to just keep grinding out missions and quests you haven't done yet, and rank up everything you possibly can. Just doing that will get you close to 400.

Thanks, so the original quests had to be replayed when the taken king expansion dropped?

Kyoufu

I wanna do VoG tomorrow. Haven't raided in years, but I need Fatebringer, Vision of Confluence, Corrective Measure etc etc.

I miss you, VoG.

Top Bottom