• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Any noteworthy vendor weapons this week?
This was probably the weakest of the three weeks so far, but:
The Waltz: Really good PvP roll from a recently nerfed Pulse class (Grasp, Dragon). It's always been the third option to those two, but it should get the job done if you need one.
Event Horizon: Much worse than last week's, but still an alright PvE sniper if you need one.
The Continental: While this isn't the best class of AR for anything right now, if it ever gets a buff this thing will be good. I've been testing it out all week and as long as you hold down slightly on the stick, it doesn't move.
The Palindrome: Pretty good PvE roll without Firefly. Explosive Rounds helps it oneshot a bunch of enemies hand cannons can't, as does LitC. Palindrome also has quite a naturally high range.

Novocaine said:
I have 2 exotic heavy weapons. One is a machine gun and one is a sword. Is it really dumb of me to dismantle the gun to beef my sword up so it keeps up with my light level? (It knocks me back about 10 light ATM)
Until you reach about 385, don't infuse things. Collect the blue drops from strike bosses and engrams and use those instead (or if they really suck, equip them when loot will drop such as when a boss is at 5% health or at the cryptarch)

Is there any gear that's considered BiS here or should I just use whatever I like and feed higher quality items into those pieces? I have 3 of the Mangonel type 2 pieces from them Vanguard vendor.
Same deal as before, use the blues until you reach 385/390. What you want in purple armor is usually good perks and high stat rolls. Helmet wants Ashes to Assets and Infusion, gloves (usually) want your class' melee speed perk and either primary reload of your choice or sniper reload, chest wants ammo for weapons you actually use and armor matching your subclass, boots want the ammo of the heavy weapon you use and the rarer 6th perk like capture king or second wind.
As for stats, you usually want Int/Dis. Nightstalkers work better with Dis/Str as do certain Tlaloc/Felwinter Warlock builds, but Int/Str tends to be for really niche sets that not a lot of people use. The maximum stat rolls (with no upgrade perk) for armor over 350 light are:
Helm: 46
Gloves: 41
Chest: 61
Legs: 56
Class/Ghost: 25
Artifact: 38

What is my best course of action to get ready for raids at this point?
Keep upgrading with the blues, then once you hit 390 start getting some more faction packages, doing Archon's Forge, opening strike chests, Iron Banner, and Nightfalls. Most importantly, actually have people to raid with. LFG is a mixed bag, sometimes you get good people, other times you end up with a dentist who can barely aim and said he could stay up all night if he had to because he "only had a few fillings to do tomorrow".

So if anyone's interested buddy and I are trying to start the Outbreak Prime quest but we need a Warlock (I'm running Titan and my friends a Hunter). We gotta do the Nightfall, 3 Public Events in the Plaguelands and 3 strikes or MP games.

GT is Hawkeye 131 on XB1

I think Shine on (or equivalent) and grenade throw distance are better perks.

Shine On is raid exclusive, which would be difficult to get while leveling up to 390 (might be able to get it from king's fall normal, I guess?). Edit: Apparently Inverse Shadow is similar, huh. Yeah, that should be a better option for PvE, I just like picking the perk that works in both PvE and PvP.
Grenade distance vs faster melee is a tough one. I run grenade throw on my nightstalker set but I definitely miss being able to win panic melee fights.

Trakan

Oryx fight is still super buggy eh? We detonated all 16 bombs at once and it only took half his health off. Wipe screen showed 4 people detonated 4 bombs.

Makes us not even want to play it.

EL CUCO

Anybody wanna run Trials on PS4?

clan WIPE is also currently keeping an eye out for a few good PVP men, incase anybody is interested in joining a group. During weekdays we play mostly after 9pm EST and random times on weekends.

Deku Tree

Oryx fight is still super buggy eh? We detonated all 16 bombs at once and it only took half his health off. Wipe screen showed 4 people detonated 4 bombs.

Makes us not even want to play it.

I haven't ever seen that happen myself. But other people I play with have told me about it happening to them.

You do have to keep constantly shooting at Oryx stomach for the damage to register. If there is even a small time gap in shooting at his stomach then bombs damage might not register. Usually we have someone using Touch to shoot at Oryx stomach from inside the Aura.

Trakan

I haven't ever seen that happen myself. But other people I play with have told me about it happening to them.

You do have to keep constantly shooting at Oryx stomach for the damage to register. If there is even a small time gap in shooting at his stomach then bombs damage might not register. Usually we have someone using Touch to shoot at Oryx stomach from inside the Aura.

I was shooting him. The bombs all detonate at the same time, so if half his health is gone I don't really understand what it could be other than a bug. Some damage registered and some didn't.

Deku Tree

I was shooting him. The bombs all detonate at the same time, so if half his health is gone I don't really understand what it could be other than a bug. Some damage registered and some didn't.

Could be a bug, or it could be lag. You should definitely have someone shooting oryx with Touch while the bombs are being detonated.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Train is over. Maybe some more later. That 10 game win streak.
IB train plz

Convinced my friend to upgrade to Rise of Iron but psn won't let him.

He has The Taken King disc but it says he doesn't own the taken King. He definitely does, I've been on the dreadnought with him.

Is this a known issue?
Is his ps4 his primary console? If not activate it again

Novocaine

When you say dismantle 1 for the other do you mean for an exotic shard? Becuase you can just buy those from xur. If you mean for light level. Just wait till you get a blue to feed I to it. If your running strikes it's not too hard. But I would also say to wait on infusion until your at a desired light level. You just throwing marks and gear away for small incremental gains. Just equip the blues till your at where you want to be. Blues cap out at 390.

Best course of action to gain light is to run strikes. If you pick a strike from the director as opposed to the playlist you can select a heroic version of it. These versions can drop all the way up to 390 but are only 320 difficulty making the grind quicker and less stressful. Choose sepiks perfected as it's the quickest. Remember to just equip the blues you get.

Earning legendary marks for vendor gear.

Weekly crucible playlist. Iron banner this week will reward 10 marks for the first 3 game completions. Same as heroic strikes from the playlist. Also the iron banner bounties will reward 25 marks each and there are 4 of them.

Always remember to equip your highest light gear when decrypting engrams. You decryption and rewards all depend on what your current light level is.

Until you reach about 385, don't infuse things. Collect the blue drops from strike bosses and engrams and use those instead (or if they really suck, equip them when loot will drop such as when a boss is at 5% health or at the cryptarch)

Same deal as before, use the blues until you reach 385/390. What you want in purple armor is usually good perks and high stat rolls. Helmet wants Ashes to Assets and Infusion, gloves (usually) want your class' melee speed perk and either primary reload of your choice or sniper reload, chest wants ammo for weapons you actually use and armor matching your subclass, boots want the ammo of the heavy weapon you use and the rarer 6th perk like capture king or second wind.
As for stats, you usually want Int/Dis. Nightstalkers work better with Dis/Str as do certain Tlaloc/Felwinter Warlock builds, but Int/Str tends to be for really niche sets that not a lot of people use. The maximum stat rolls (with no upgrade perk) for armor over 350 light are:
Helm: 46
Gloves: 41
Chest: 61
Legs: 56
Class/Ghost: 25
Artifact: 38

Keep upgrading with the blues, then once you hit 390 start getting some more faction packages, doing Archon's Forge, opening strike chests, Iron Banner, and Nightfalls. Most importantly, actually have people to raid with. LFG is a mixed bag, sometimes you get good people, other times you end up with a dentist who can barely aim and said he could stay up all night if he had to because he "only had a few fillings to do tomorrow".

Thanks guys I'll stop infusing things and keep on grinding. I did the 3 heroic strikes for the week, maybe I will be able to get up to 380 sometime this week and do the higher level stuff. I was talking about dismantling the exotic weapon, I didn't know you could buy shards

Aqu

Neo Member
I've just jumped back in after quitting early into TTK as I ran out of time to game really.

However now I've got more time so I bought RoI and have carried on where I left off. I'm on 312 light currently.

Couple of Qs: is it worth me doing any of the TTK quests I hadn't finished or should I just continue to focus on the RoI story?
Also I take it the leveling pattern remains broadly unchanged. Story > Strikes > Heroic Strikes > NF > Raid?

Sadly most of the guys I used to know have stopped playing but hopefully GAFers still take pity on a newbie from time to time!

[Edit: in fact anything else I ought to know coming back after just over 12 months off?]

DeviantBoi

Any two players here with a SIVA offering on each of their characters?

We can knock out 9 of those public events for the book. Maybe more if they drop in the forge.

Snipes from this weekend. Last exist is an ok map in trials, although bottom escalator spawn is heavily disadvantaged against a good team.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

speiky

Most ppl are real douchebags on lfg sites. Especially PVP "gods". Super rare to find highly skilled pvp players that are also friendly.

Snipes from this weekend. Last exist is an ok map in trials, although bottom escalator spawn is heavily disadvantaged against a good team.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

1st one - Destinys dumb AA but 7/10 - 2nd you'd already won so it doesn't count - 3rd one you die after so a trade

edit playing with the forum usurper and the forum snitch so all downgraded

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok, guys here it is.
I'm back into Destiny since early last week, I tapped out when Taken King launched.

I'm already at 387 Light after grinding those 2 weeks, no raids though.

I have a couple of questions to you guys:
1. All my Year 1 Exotics are useless right? I can't update them to Year 3 or even 2 ones?
2. Radiant shards, energies.. I have still a couple of them, can I do something with them? Turn them into glimmer or something at least?
3. is Light 400 only possible with playing raids?
4. Is there somekind of guide for someone like me coming back into the game and now wanting to be at the High End tier playing field again? I have no idea where to get new Exotics or stuff right now.
5. Is the exotic engram at Xur worth it? Seems like I only get year 1 exclusives out of it.

I still have like 90 trials coins from back when I played the game, can I only buy stuff after playing trials? I am on Xbox and I don't think I have many on my FL that still play Destiny, I also don't know if I have good loot for playing pvp, though IB is still easy as fuck.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tracking is so laughable now. I mean why have perks if they don't even do their jobs? Like 90% of the perks in the game are utterly useless.

1st one - Destinys dumb AA but 7/10 - 2nd you'd already won so it doesn't count - 3rd one you die after so a trade

edit playing with the forum usurper and the forum snitch so all downgraded

Heh, the fact that i traded on the 3rd one was the reason that game didnt go 4-4 and we won 3 secs after the gif ended :p

Ok, guys here it is.
I'm back into Destiny since early last week, I tapped out when Taken King launched.

1. All my Year 1 Exotics are useless right? I can't update them to Year 3 or even 2 ones?
2. Radiant shards, energies.. I have still a couple of them, can I do something with them? Turn them into glimmer or something at least?
4. Is there somekind of guide for someone like me coming back into the game and now wanting to be at the High End tier playing field again? I have no idea where to get new Exotics or stuff right now.
5. Is the exotic engram at Xur worth it? Seems like I only get year 1 exclusives out of it.

I still have like 90 trials coins from back when I played the game, can I only buy stuff after playing trials? I am on Xbox and I don't think I have many on my FL that still play Destiny, I also don't know if I have good loot for playing pvp, though IB is still easy as fuck.

1) yes
2) I believe they turn into rep amd/or glimmer. Ascendant shit I think is turned into the Speaker, and Radiant can be dismantled or turned in to Petra.
3) no
4) there used to be but I dunno what happened to it
5) no the exotic engram is useless

If you aren't much of a trials player you can turn trials coins to motes at the trials vendor at the reef.

IHaveIce

Banned
1) yes
2) I believe they turn into rep amd/or glimmer. Ascendant shit I think is turned into the Speaker, and Radiant can be dismantled or turned in to Petra.
3) no
4) there used to be but I dunno what happened to it
5) no the exotic engram is useless

If you aren't much of a trials player you can turn trials coins to motes at the trials vendor at the reef.

Thank you Gringo <3.
Oh I loved trials, did some awesome runs with Poker and OddOne back then. Never forgetting the first flawless with them <3
I just don't have a regular group right now, since I'm yet still solo grinding. :)

Ok, guys here it is.

In a way. Y1 exotics top out around 170. But if you own, for instance, The Last Word. You can buy the relevant TLW with legendary marks. After you've unlocked the relevent version of any exotic, you can rebuy them for 1 exotic shard and 2500 glimmer. These kiosks can be found at the vanguard room

The Speaker has trading of those mats. Glimmer/Motes are the things you'll get fro them.

Pretty much everything can get you 400. You wouldn't have to touch a single raid but why play if you're not going to play the best content?

Destiny Reddit has a bunch of stuff, YT videos can be helpful. I don't have any links on hand though.

NO WAY. That is a legancy exotic. The only reason you'd buy that is if you have spare coins and want a chance of getting a legacy exotic you dont own. Then you'd have to buy the relevent version of that exotic as mention in question 1.

Trials coins are only good for buynig the trials 'boons'.
Edit: dat double post.

Thank you Gringo <3.
Oh I loved trials, did some awesome runs with Poker and OddOne back then. Never forgetting the first flawless with them <3
I just don't have a regular group right now, since I'm yet still solo grinding. :)

All good dude. Like I told you last time we played, if you ever need someone I got you.

Top Bottom