• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

WizzNARD

So I'm now a member of DestinyGaf Xbox, thanks for the add!

Question: Is the clan open to non gaf members? I have a couple friends who aren't on here but would maybe want to join. Just wanted to know!

Thanks!

Saint9806

Has it been confirmed that the servers won't be up till Tuesday? I'll probably get my physical copy early, but if the servers are not running it's gonna be pointless lol

You should still be able to do solo stuff/ patrols though right? Or nothing at all will work?

So I tried out that new hot Destiny 2 game everyones on about on PC.

rz7ihCy.png

cpwlMhs.png

bZEYZxD.png

KvtLZV5.png

7yXOLOB.png

Pros-
It's smooth
It's more Destiny
It looks great despite running on Medium-low settings.

Cons-
My shitty computer stutters every once in a while, but I'm pretty sure that's because I'm in California and it's hot hot hot.

Also, I've still got it in pvp, a KDA of 5-

I'm also enjoying the KBM controls, I can make snappier shots with mouse movement~! I guess you can put me on the hype train for D2 on PC lol.

We must hang in different circles. Of course people want the grimoire lore brought in-game... that's just blatantly obvious; there was never a debate that it was a poor implementation in D1. Nobody asked for grimoire cards with lore outside the game to continue.

For completionists though the score was always important. I worked to get max grimoire, so obviously it's something I care about. Its pretty clear that it's internally hated at Bungie though and thought of as a mistake. I'm guessing that people using grimoire score as raid LFG requirements in year 1 was what really pushed it over the tipping point for them. No surprise that it isn't included in D2.

I don't care if it's "grimoire score" or something else, I just want a way to show off to other players how dedicated I've been to accomplishing all that Destiny 2 has to offer. Emblems aren't enough. Record books that only I can see aren't enough.

You really think it's "hated" inside Bungie? Seems like a pretty strong word tbh. Is there an interview or something?

Just because they're replacing it with something they think works better or more organically doesn't mean they "hate" it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they make multiple updates to make them easier to read and access and sort on the site and the app?

If they "hate" it, why would they bother?

Lee

I don't care if it's "grimoire score" or something else, I just want a way to show off to other players how dedicated I've been to accomplishing all that Destiny 2 has to offer. Emblems aren't enough. Record books that only I can see aren't enough.

Kill tracker ghost I guess.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of websites that track your accomplishments. I'm sure ELO isn't going away.

This site is pretty great for Raids - https://raid.report/ - They even added medals and ranking recently.

...people who care about grimoire are talking about their score, and having something to represent to others how much they've accomplished in Destiny.

This was me to a tee! I did so much stuff in D1 just to up my number.

On another note, might be time for someone to make DestinyGAF PC || US 2

If anyone is keen PM me!

Trakan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C26qHS5qnQ

Luke Smith answers twitter questions. It's a bunch of shitty questions and even worse answers, but he does confirm that fusion rifles got nerfed from the beta, the only weapon that actually felt like a power weapon. They can't do anything right.

You should still be able to do solo stuff/ patrols though right? Or nothing at all will work?

Literally nothing. You will not get past the main menu screen.

Nodnol

Since people data-mined the PC beta, there's some prettt big story spoilers out there, deduced from some audio files. Take it easy out there!

Ramirez

Oh word? Who said this?

You mean a newer build than the current PC beta right?

Just someone who would know, and yes, the finished game is a newer build than the PC beta I would assume.

I too, cared about the grimiore score, me and a friend had a constant battle of who could keep the lead, lol.

Einhandr

Looks like someone sent a join request to Space Targaryens over the weekend and then withdrew it. Whoever that was, sorry. I was at my brother's wedding, staying somewhere with no mobile signal or wi-fi.

Anyway, I've been thinking about ditching said clan and joining another for PS4. The only member is me (on PSN, Xbox and Blizzard accounts) anyway. Thoughts?

Olde Garde would gladly have you :)

https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=125820

I think in the end no matter what you end up doing, a lot of the GAF activity will be coordinated in the GAF discord anyway.

I'm not positive, but I think the new clan system screwed up some of the trophies/achievements in D1. My friends never got their Strength of the Pack trophy, despite all of us being in the same clan.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
You really think it's "hated" inside Bungie? Seems like a pretty strong word tbh. Is there an interview or something?

Just because they're replacing it with something they think works better or more organically doesn't mean they "hate" it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they make multiple updates to make them easier to read and access and sort on the site and the app?

If they "hate" it, why would they bother?

Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word. I'm not directly quoting anyone. I just work in the industry and hear things. The impression I got is that grimoire in general is a sore spot, which I'm sure a Jason Schreier article explains in depth somewhere. They'd prefer to leave any vestiges of it behind in D1. Additionally, they strongly disliked people using the grimoire score as a point of comparison that could be used to exclude or denigrate others.

I don't recall any updates that made grimoire score easier to read or access. The only particular change I recall with it was removing it from player's emblems so that you'd have to dig a bit further to see it on another player.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just someone who would know, and yes, the finished game is a newer build than the PC beta I would assume.
Just did some testing and it is at the very least 100% not true that only the person who gets the killing blow gets the drop. Putting together findings now, just in case it is helpful to Bungie if anything is not working as intended.

Finally got to play and a couple of random thoughts.

PC is amazing. I will admit I am primarily a PC gamer and only really had a console for Destiny so I am slightly biased but still, it just feels so good. The graphics are amazing. Took a little bit to find key bindings that I liked but once I got use to it it just felt good to play with ms/kb.

I enjoy the new PvP but I will admit, I think I preferred D1. I would probably prefer the D2 PvP if the TTK was just a little faster. I understand the want for team work and team shooting etc but it's too much for me.

Again, I understand why they've done it but lone wolfing being practically dead upsets me a little. I enjoy just jumping in, not having to worry about team mates 'too' much and just killing people. Very hard to do now.

Still struggling with the wait for PC release or play PS4 until PC comes out decision, but after playing the PC version and now knowing what I am waiting for I am leaning a little more to waiting for the PC release and having my first experience of everything being the one I want.

They are?? this is the first I've even heard of that aspect of it being brought up. I liked all the lore in the grimoire, but I never cared about that number...

Yeah certainly in year 1, quite probably ly vanilla. I remember posts in the early OT's about people getting max grimoire. When house of wolves was leaving, there were even reddit posts explaining what events, and therefore grimoire score, were going away.

I quite liked it as a concept of roughly toting up stuff you'd done in the game.

Fake edit - in fact Bungie specifically took it off our name plates, to stop people chasing max score and judging others for having low scores.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Big thanks to fig and Unstable for running through the Inverted Spire to test all this.

So first of all, even if it's not completely perfect, this is a huge improvement from the console beta and 95% of the way there.

The good news is that it is fair to say that any yellow bar enemy is guaranteed to drop heavy, the only variable is who sees it. Going through the entire strike, we did not encounter a single yellow bar that did not drop a power ammo brick for at least one player, which is awesome and puts my biggest fear to rest.

TL;DR of the system is that there may be multiple variables, but proximity to the fight when the yellow bar dies is the biggest factor as to whether or not it will drop ammo for you.

Also, it's worth saying that yellow bars in the open world (when you load into the strike but don't advance at all) drop power ammo like geysers. You can easily farm up to full in just a couple of minutes doing this before you set out on the strike and frankly it's a perfectly fine idea to do so. Killing ambient enemies seems to trigger a lot of additional spawns in many locations including some crazy waves. Also, named major enemies actually drop a loot chest upon killing them (like even right now in the beta). Yay! But they have nothing in them. Boo.

Here are the various scenarios we tried:
  • Just one of the three of us firing at the enemy with the other two stood close by but did no damage at all = drop for all three
  • All three of us damaging the enemy at close range = drop for all three
  • All three damaging the enemy from very long range, but standing near one another = drop for all three
  • One player damaging the enemy in close range with the other two doing no damage, one of them about 3m away and one about 15-20m away = drop for the attacking player and the closer of the two, no drop for the further player
  • One player damaging the enemy in close range with the other two doing no damage, both of them 15-20m away = drop for the attacking player and no drop for the other two

So it doesn't seem to matter how much damage (if any) you do to a yellow bar or who gets the death blow, but rather where you are located when it dies. A potential problem is that you could do a whole ton of damage to a boss, run "out of range" (i.e. to safety) and then it dies to someone else, and you get no drop.

Exactly once, I killed a boss in close range while Unstable was very away and fig (who was also heavily damaging the enemy) was very close to both me and the boss, but only I got the ammo drop. This was the one time that the system didn't seem to work as intended and matched up with experiences I've had a couple of times running with randoms during this beta; the logic that seems to be in place would dictate that fig at least should have seen the drop.

Hopefully with just slight tweaks edge cases like this can be ironed out by launch or a hotfix after, if they haven't already. :) It is definitely very close in this build.

Ideally, as long as you "tag" the boss, when it dies you should get the drop no matter where you are. The funny thing is that currently, you can get it without ever even touching the boss, just by being nearby.

Mindlog

The general reception of the PC beta appears to have been massively more positive than the console one.

Good info on power ammo. The proximity requirement seems like it would put snipers at a slight disadvantage. Seems pretty consistent with how some kills were credited in the first game especially with regards to Major Kill Bounties.

Controller aim assist for mouse users is going to become a topic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The general reception of the PC beta appears to have been massively more positive than the console one.
It's true. The graphics improvements definitely help, but they did also make clear improvements to grenade power and super charge rate that just make things feel a bit more fun.

Though I do wanna mention this is still an absolutely tiny teeny ridiculously mercilessly small beta. There's some cool stuff, but basically 100% of what makes Destiny great is being held back.

Good info on power ammo. The proximity requirement seems like it would put snipers at a slight disadvantage.
Right, perfect example of a potential flaw there- and if the sniper gets the kill, it may deprive the others.
Seems pretty consistent with how some kills were credited in the first game especially with regards to Major Kill Bounties.
Totally- seems like a modification of the same system. I think that there may be a single variable, something like "credit radius," that could be expanded to fix it completely. That's my hope anyway- just expanding it by 10x or something.

It's not a bad idea or OP for every yellow bar to drop ammo for every player every time- if they're far enough away that they wouldn't have gotten credit (or they're skipping forward leaving teammates behind) they won't be around to pick it up anyway. Meanwhile edge cases like where fig totally deserved the drop but didn't get it, or snipers confounding the range, wouldn't be an issue.

Controller aim assist for mouse users is going to become a topic.
You mean the Xim?

"this is why we can't have nice things" :(

FiraB

Banned
You know what? I want text chat added to the console versions!

How the hell did this QoL not make it to the console version because its stupidly helpful.

You know what? I want text chat added to the console versions!

How the hell did this QoL not make it to the console version because its stupidly helpful.

Surprisingly some people don't like chatting via text if they have to navigate a virtual keyboard with a thumbstick. Unless everyone buys this of course.

XBONE_WL_KYB_A.jpg

Mindlog

Surprisingly people don't like chatting via text if they have to navigate a virtual keyboard with a thumbstick. Unless everyone buys this of course.

http://images.cecompass.com/productimages/X/XBONE_WL_KYB/XBONE_WL_KYB_A.jpg
I actually loved that attachment on my 360 controller. Bought it specifically for Defiance (MMO) and ended up using it wherever I could. I have a keyboard plugged into my PS4, but being reminded how well the attachments can work... Might be time to buy one.

CLBridges

I was gonna take a couple days off next week for release but my already busy job is gonna go into overdrive over the next month or two. Hopefully I can swing that Wednesday off because my hype is gonna be through the roof.

I'm trying to join a clan too, but the Bungie site is acting up. Are invites a thing? Trying to join DestinyGaf or DestinyGafPs4. If so, could one of the clan leaders shoot one my way? It would be appreciated.

PSN: Ghostfacedon

Cornbread78

I was gonna take a couple days off next week for release but my already busy job is gonna go into overdrive over the next month or two. Hopefully I can swing that Wednesday off because my hype is gonna be through the roof.

I'm trying to join a clan too, but the Bungie site is acting up. Are invites a thing? Trying to join DestinyGaf or DestinyGafPs4. If so, could one of the clan leaders shoot one my way? It would be appreciated.

PSN: Ghostfacedon

Unfortunately, sending invites hasn't been working, so you'll probably need to click on one of the banners and request to join.

Frostburn

Haha, true. I'll update the profile to say it's not a prerequisite.

Anyway, the probably ill-advised clan name originates from a drunken playthrough of the vanilla campaign and joking about Mara Sov and her brother. It was very nearly Space Lannisters instead.

Haha I like both names you came up with!

Simo

Shoot that is what it is, isn't it? I was looking hard at the picture thinking it was MGS, but now that you mention it I can see aspects of Destiny in it.

If you read his follow up replies he states its not MGS but video game related. Then someone replied with it being Destiny 2 and I saw he favorited the tweet seemingly confirming it.

Impulsor

Hunter or titan. I hate the hunter class skill. Warlock and titan have useful skills for team play and hunter does not.

Sentinel is just too cool.

I can carry over any of these two from d1.

Nodnol

Do we know when the review embargo is up? We're all obviously going balls deep into D2 irrespective of reviews, but it'll be interesting to see just how the wider community reflects upon what appears to be Bungie learning from D1's mistakes or shortcomings.

Dec

Do we know when the review embargo is up? We're all obviously going balls deep into D2 irrespective of reviews, but it'll be interesting to see just how the wider community reflects upon what appears to be Bungie learning from D1's mistakes or shortcomings.

I thought I read the 5th, but I can't offer any official date.

Top Bottom