• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

traveler

Not Wario
Haven't been in this community in a while. Stopped some time after Taken King. Assuming most of PS4 GAF is sticking with the PS4 instead of heading to PC?

Really wish the PC version had been around for 1- not just because I prefer the platform, but because this is having an unnatural effect on a community that would otherwise be on the PC 100% this time around. :/

this seems new

Luke Smith answers destiny questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C26qHS5qnQ

I got a simple one

Will we ever see/when will see Ahamkara, Luke; I just want my space dragons...

RE:pTR- I actually like Luke's line of reasoning on this. I know the tuning for raids could probably be a bit better, but the complete mystery of raids- which extends not just to encounters in Bungie's conception of them but also things like how you even navigate some spaces- is such a great part of Destiny that I never got to experience in WoW raids.

If they could bring in folks to help tune the hard modes after the base raid is out, though, I'd be onboard for that. Would probably have a bigger delay in getting the hard modes out for that to work though.

Re:the grimoire debate here- I liked it too. While getting lore in the game proper is a worthwhile goal and welcome improvement, there's some types of lore that just aren't suited to a cutscene or ingame event presentation- the Book of Sorrow being the chief example. It sounds like there will be mediums ingame for that sort of content in Destiny 2, fortunately.

Ghaul has really good taste in music.

Will we ever see/when will see Ahamkara, Luke; I just want my space dragons...

Hi Traveler! Come over to the PC side, it feels good.

As for this, there is a picture of the inverted spire dungeon that hints at the raid(
The big worm thing
) that kinda is a dragon.

So the only activity I haven't done in Destiny is the Wrath of the Machine raid and I'm looking for people who are willing to have some fun and be patient. I have a limited schedule until Destiny 2 comes out but hoping to knock it out before next week. Playing on PS4, 398 Warlock. I'm a little out of practice too but shouldn't take too long to get back into the rhythm.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
After playing the PC Beta for a good while, I must say it's pretty lucky for the console populations that it's releasing 6 weeks earlier: I love my PS4 but man...this version is so damn good, even using a controller.

Stoked to double dip on this rare occasion, no regrets whatsoever: just pure glimmer and stokedness.

bitsurugi

Big thanks to fig and Unstable for running through the Inverted Spire to test all this.

So first of all, even if it's not completely perfect, this is a huge improvement from the console beta and 95% of the way there.

The good news is that it is fair to say that any yellow bar enemy is guaranteed to drop heavy, the only variable is who sees it. Going through the entire strike, we did not encounter a single yellow bar that did not drop a power ammo brick for at least one player, which is awesome and puts my biggest fear to rest.

TL;DR of the system is that there may be multiple variables, but proximity to the fight when the yellow bar dies is the biggest factor as to whether or not it will drop ammo for you.

Also, it's worth saying that yellow bars in the open world (when you load into the strike but don't advance at all) drop power ammo like geysers. You can easily farm up to full in just a couple of minutes doing this before you set out on the strike and frankly it's a perfectly fine idea to do so. Killing ambient enemies seems to trigger a lot of additional spawns in many locations including some crazy waves. Also, named major enemies actually drop a loot chest upon killing them (like even right now in the beta). Yay! But they have nothing in them. Boo.

Here are the various scenarios we tried:
  • Just one of the three of us firing at the enemy with the other two stood close by but did no damage at all = drop for all three
  • All three of us damaging the enemy at close range = drop for all three
  • All three damaging the enemy from very long range, but standing near one another = drop for all three
  • One player damaging the enemy in close range with the other two doing no damage, one of them about 3m away and one about 15-20m away = drop for the attacking player and the closer of the two, no drop for the further player
  • One player damaging the enemy in close range with the other two doing no damage, both of them 15-20m away = drop for the attacking player and no drop for the other two

So it doesn't seem to matter how much damage (if any) you do to a yellow bar or who gets the death blow, but rather where you are located when it dies. A potential problem is that you could do a whole ton of damage to a boss, run "out of range" (i.e. to safety) and then it dies to someone else, and you get no drop.

Exactly once, I killed a boss in close range while Unstable was very away and fig (who was also heavily damaging the enemy) was very close to both me and the boss, but only I got the ammo drop. This was the one time that the system didn't seem to work as intended and matched up with experiences I've had a couple of times running with randoms during this beta; the logic that seems to be in place would dictate that fig at least should have seen the drop.

Hopefully with just slight tweaks edge cases like this can be ironed out by launch or a hotfix after, if they haven't already. :) It is definitely very close in this build.

Ideally, as long as you "tag" the boss, when it dies you should get the drop no matter where you are. The funny thing is that currently, you can get it without ever even touching the boss, just by being nearby.

That is some really nice info, props on the testing!

Zakalwe

Banned
Aside from simply wanting to, is there any reason to re-install D1 and play before D2 releases? Any kind of end-event or activity?

The next week is going to feel like forever...

GlamFM

Banned
Aside from simply wanting to, is there any reason to re-install D1 and play before D2 releases? Any kind of end-event or activity?

There are rumors, but it seems unlikely that something happens in D1 close to release.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That is some really nice info, props on the testing!
Thanks!

John just asked me a good question so I wanted to append slight information. Namely, is it the enemy or your teammates you need to be nearby to make sure you get the drop?

Unfortunately I'm not positive- but I used "proximity to the fight" because either seems to be cool with the game. I.e. if you're near your teammate when they kill an enemy you get it, even if you're relatively far from the enemy, and if you're near the enemy you get it, even if you're relatively far from the teammate.

The thing is that the one time with fig, she was both quite close to me and the enemy, and didn't see the drop.

robo

I need the warlock boots from xur this friday or else!! Decrypted loads of boot enrams, hunter or titan every god dam time.

1 week to go!!

So the only activity I haven't done in Destiny is the Wrath of the Machine raid and I'm looking for people who are willing to have some fun and be patient. I have a limited schedule until Destiny 2 comes out but hoping to knock it out before next week. Playing on PS4, 398 Warlock. I'm a little out of practice too but shouldn't take too long to get back into the rhythm.

If you can do it this weekend I can help. Just give me an idea when you want to do it. Check sent to wrong department, reissuing.

1 says they will help.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Can't get into my Blizzard account. Been a few years since I used it and couldn't remember the password but the reset password page isn't sending me a new one to the email.

Edit: Nevermind came through eventually. Hope the PC can pull this off at 1080p60.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whas your schedule like?

WizzNARD

I was playing pretty consistently up until the last week and it's still lots of fun, but no, nothing worthwhile going on.

The last week here with all the EDZ stuff and videos and leaks has totally killed my enthusiasm for D1. That and I figure this is a good time to spend with the wife before I disappear into a hole next week.

JJShadow

I'm a little rusty (haven't touched Destiny since December last year) but I might be able to bring my Titan depending on day/time (I'm based on UK). What's your schedule?

I started to actually enjoy playing with the Voidwalker Warlock last night while the Strafe Jump seems good enough, I guess. Looks like I'll be going with each class once again just for variety in gameplay if nothing else.

Big thanks to fig and Unstable for running through the Inverted Spire to test all this.

So first of all, even if it's not completely perfect, this is a huge improvement from the console beta and 95% of the way there.

The good news is that it is fair to say that any yellow bar enemy is guaranteed to drop heavy, the only variable is who sees it. Going through the entire strike, we did not encounter a single yellow bar that did not drop a power ammo brick for at least one player, which is awesome and puts my biggest fear to rest.

TL;DR of the system is that there may be multiple variables, but proximity to the fight when the yellow bar dies is the biggest factor as to whether or not it will drop ammo for you.

Also, it's worth saying that yellow bars in the open world (when you load into the strike but don't advance at all) drop power ammo like geysers. You can easily farm up to full in just a couple of minutes doing this before you set out on the strike and frankly it's a perfectly fine idea to do so. Killing ambient enemies seems to trigger a lot of additional spawns in many locations including some crazy waves. Also, named major enemies actually drop a loot chest upon killing them (like even right now in the beta). Yay! But they have nothing in them. Boo.

Here are the various scenarios we tried:
  • Just one of the three of us firing at the enemy with the other two stood close by but did no damage at all = drop for all three
  • All three of us damaging the enemy at close range = drop for all three
  • All three damaging the enemy from very long range, but standing near one another = drop for all three
  • One player damaging the enemy in close range with the other two doing no damage, one of them about 3m away and one about 15-20m away = drop for the attacking player and the closer of the two, no drop for the further player
  • One player damaging the enemy in close range with the other two doing no damage, both of them 15-20m away = drop for the attacking player and no drop for the other two

So it doesn't seem to matter how much damage (if any) you do to a yellow bar or who gets the death blow, but rather where you are located when it dies. A potential problem is that you could do a whole ton of damage to a boss, run "out of range" (i.e. to safety) and then it dies to someone else, and you get no drop.

Exactly once, I killed a boss in close range while Unstable was very away and fig (who was also heavily damaging the enemy) was very close to both me and the boss, but only I got the ammo drop. This was the one time that the system didn't seem to work as intended and matched up with experiences I've had a couple of times running with randoms during this beta; the logic that seems to be in place would dictate that fig at least should have seen the drop.

Hopefully with just slight tweaks edge cases like this can be ironed out by launch or a hotfix after, if they haven't already. :) It is definitely very close in this build.

Ideally, as long as you "tag" the boss, when it dies you should get the drop no matter where you are. The funny thing is that currently, you can get it without ever even touching the boss, just by being nearby.

Killed a yellow/gold bar Centurion last night in one of the bunkers before you jump to the drill rig or whatever, I was the only player around and the only player who did damage and didn't get a power ammo drop.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Lol ok. So managed to run basically at high settings 1080p120 with a 105 FOV throughout the majority of the Homecoming mission. No major FPS drops or problems with a 3930k and GTX 680.

Looks like I'll be double dipping. It's disappointing Bungie didn't even try for a 1080p60 on PS4Pro and XB1X. Game still looked brilliant.

Lol ok. So managed to run basically at high settings 1080p120 with a 105 FOV throughout the majority of the Homecoming mission. No major FPS drops or problems with a 3930k and GTX 680.

Looks like I'll be double dipping. It's disappointing Bungie didn't even try for a 1080p60 on PS4Pro and XB1X. Game still looked brilliant.

They've gone on record in saying the CPU in both of those machines are not up to par for delivering the gameworld and gameplay experience they've developed (at 60 FPS) thus why it remains 30 FPS on console.

I mean if they could get a consistent 60 FPS on console why wouldn't they?

I'll probably be replaying this game from scratch later tonight and tomorrow. I played everything as they came out, with strikes and patrols between missions and large gaps between expansions. I've never experienced the whole story in one run before. Think it'll be a fun way to send off Destiny for me :)

Not sure when tonight but definitely all day tomorrow if anyone wants to join me through the game on xbox. I'll be starting a fresh character and only using equipment gained on that character.

Cornbread78

I need the warlock boots from xur this friday or else!! Decrypted loads of boot enrams, hunter or titan every god dam time.

1 week to go!!

I've been waiting for a normal sniper rifle for weeks now and all I get is crap each week. Hopefully, they have something big set up for the final weekend! I want Operah handouts or at least 50% off discounts dammit!

I've been waiting for a normal sniper rifle for weeks now and all I get is crap each week. Hopefully, they have something big set up for the final weekend! I want Operah handouts or at least 50% off discounts dammit!

None of the vendors have had anything decent regarding snipers? You have a good shot at getting one (LDR) from the Vanguard Rank Up packages for free.

Cornbread78

None of the vendors have had anything decent regarding snipers? You have a good shot at getting one (LDR) from the Vanguard Rank Up packages for free.

I bought the No Land Beyond, but it is a slow a$$ single shot sniper rifle (only 350) that takes up your primary spot.

I've been using all my Legendary Marks on armor (380)

I have a chance at a sniper rifle from the faction guy for 125 marks, but I'd rather use my strange coins with Xur.

It's all or nothing this weekend, so I'm going to dump everything at my disposal to make the RoI raid easier on Friday night!

I just hope we can get enough folks to run an OG Crota for a chance at the flawless trophy Sat. night, so I can go out with perfection and a gold trophy, lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Killed a yellow/gold bar Centurion last night in one of the bunkers before you jump to the drill rig or whatever, I was the only player around and the only player who did damage and didn't get a power ammo drop.
Hmm, yeah, I mean having experienced this or thinking I did was what made we want to do the testing in the first place.

It is close but just seems to be not quite 100% and I don't know what the ultimate trigger is, but as a general rule, it works if you are nearby.

Do you happen to remember if by any chance you had full power ammo at the time you killed him?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Reports in from many people with very low quality CPUs getting 1080p/60 quite easily with far lesser graphics cards than what's in the Pro and X1X, I'm thinking they could of easily done 60 for the upgraded consoles, but the OG ones held it back and parity and all that.

Either way, 30 looks great but man...after playing the PC Beta for 20 odd hours so far, I have to say it's the version I'm most looking forward to (I'd prefer to say that about my main version on Pro TBH).

Hmm, yeah, I mean having experienced this or thinking I did was what made we want to do the testing in the first place.

It is close but just seems to be not quite 100% and I don't know what the ultimate trigger is, but as a general rule, it works if you are nearby.

Do you happen to remember if by any chance you had full power ammo at the time you killed him?

I used the last of my power ammo with the grenade launcher on the Centurion in the bunker and a few other Cabal as well.

The other two players were together on the other side of that area (at the other bunker).

Edit: When I say I used the last of the power ammo I mean I fired 4-5 rounds but did not have a full ammo count at the time.

Reports in from many people with very low quality CPUs getting 1080p/60 quite easily with far lesser graphics cards than what's in the Pro and X1X, I'm thinking they could of easily done 60 for the upgraded consoles, but the OG ones held it back and parity and all that.

Either way, 30 looks great but man...after playing the PC Beta for 20 odd hours so far, I have to say it's the version I'm most looking forward to (I'd prefer to say that about my main version on Pro TBH).

I can only go on the info that was presented from the developer. Whether the reasoning is the original or updated revisions of the consoles it doesn't matter as the game will remain 30 FPS there no matter.

That said, what you bring up is one of the most confounding things about the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X given the parity conversation and the reality of it. Such a waste if it continues to hinder performance going forward (I'm just say this in relation to games in general not Destiny 2 in particular).

Edit: Also, we're talking about a very small part of pie here regarding Destiny 2 and hardware performance. Will those same low-to-mid level CPU/video card combos stay consistent at 60 FPS for every mode/encounter/environment, etc throughout the full game? I don't think it's about just hitting 60 FPS 50-60% of the time but staying much more consistent at 60 FPS throughout the entire experience. This may or may not be a factor, I don't know. We know the original consoles aren't capable of holding a consistent 60 FPS throughout the experience.

In any case, I'm there day one on Xbox and on PC in October.

Has anyone tried getting the XP boost from buying pop-tarts for D2? I finally found a box and texted the message with my receipt and it was a huge pain in the ass. I had to text it 4 different times because they have to see all four corners of the receipt and it was really long. Its not been over 48 hours and still haven't received anything back yet.

Haven't seen this posted, and maybe everyone knows this, but to trigger the pre-load on your XBox, uninstall the 100MB Destiny 2 that was installed when you pre-ordered and tell the XBox to install it again.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I used the last of my power ammo with the grenade launcher on the Centurion in the bunker and a few other Cabal as well.

The other two players were together on the other side of that area (at the other bunker).

I can only go on the info that was presented from the developer. Whether the reasoning is the original or updated revisions of the consoles it doesn't matter as the game will remain 30 FPS there no matter.

That said, what you bring up is one of the most confounding things about the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X given the parity conversation and the reality of it. Such a waste if it continues to hinder performance going forward.

Edit: Also, we're talking about a very small part of pie here regarding Destiny 2 and hardware performance. Will those same low-to-mid level CPU/video cards combos stay consistent at 60 FPS for every mode/encounter/environment, etc throughout the full game? I don't think it's about just hitting 60 FPS 50-60% of the time but staying much more consistent at 60 FPS throughout the entire experience. This may or may not be a factor, I don't know. We know the original consoles aren't capable of holding a consistent 60 FPS throughout the experience.

In any case, I'm there day one on Xbox and on PC in October.

You bring up a good point re: the full game bringing more challenges in terms of CPU load and such, I didn't think of that.

Either way, 30fps as buttery as it is on the Pro in 4K is all good with me, can't wait: 6 days fam!!

Reports in from many people with very low quality CPUs getting 1080p/60 quite easily with far lesser graphics cards than what's in the Pro and X1X.

I'd like to know how.
My PC is 2 years old, i7-4720 and a GTX950.
I started low and chose 720p, and I'm getting an unstable 30 fps with medium to high settings.
Even on the Lowest, it's around 30 fps.

I was always going to stick with the PS4 Pro, PC was just a curiosity, what could my PC do.

Haven't seen this posted, and maybe everyone knows this, but to trigger the pre-load on your XBox, uninstall the 100MB Destiny 2 that was installed when you pre-ordered and tell the XBox to install it again.

My download just started automatically when the pre-load went live last week but good info regardless for anyone experiencing issues.

Curious, do you have your Xbox set to "Instant-on" or "Power Saving?" If the latter I'm curious if that was the problem for whatever reason as the downloads can be fickle at times.

The preload is for the base game. If you have ordered the digital deluxe version then search for it in the store and you should then be able to install the extras and the 2 x 10mb files for expansion 1 and expansion 2.

Turkoop

Banned
One week left
giphy.gif

Quan

This is my first time to this thread so sorry if it had been answered before.

When will the preload start on PS4?

and Will all the versions (EU, US...etc) start at the same time on launch?

Top Bottom