• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

During the PAX West opening this morning, Luke specifically mentioned that the raid is opening on Wednesday (as opposed to Tuesday) to allow players to have two weekly resets to get ready. Seems like confirmation to me that things will be at least very similar.

We're only going to have one Tuesday reset before the Raid becomes playable.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Has there been any discussion on how the new engram system may turn out to be disruptive to simply playing and progressing through the game initially or on new/alt characters?

For example, an engram drops so you stop what your doing and go to the Cryptarch to decrypt it so you'll be wearing the highest leveled gear when the next engram drop occurs. I can't see myself doing it that often but it does seem a bit backwards.

That was definitely my first thought. Not ideal.

You have nearly a week to do the first week's activities before you can do them again the day before the raid opens.

I guess that's true but I doubt it makes a substantial difference as far as LL goes. Basically two Nightfall rewards and two Heroic Strike Legendary engrams (if this is still a thing) on top of normal progression from the 1-20 leveling and any end-of-match rewards from PvP. Oh, and (I'm used to old Destiny) all the patrol activities (Lost Sectors, Adventures, Regular/Heroic Public Events, etc). Yeah, that will make a difference...

Has there been any discussion on how the new engram system may turn out to be disruptive to simply playing and progressing through the game initially or on new/alt characters?

For example, an engram drops so you stop what your doing and go to the Cryptarch to decrypt it so you'll be wearing the highest leveled gear when the next engram drop occurs. I can't see myself doing it that often but it does seem a bit backwards.

Thankfully you can check the power level of the engram while it's in your inventory, and then make a decision to go see the cryptarch or not. I would think it would have to be a pretty dramatic difference to take you out of the middle of a mission.

s'mores if you must also eat the pop-tarts guys.

im struggling to find a rockstar drink with a destiny code. checked 3 walgreens and 4 7-11 at 11am, 1pm, and 6pm and found nothing.

wrong store?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
With a bit of luck, perhaps the raid will be delayed one week though ^^

Highly Doubtful, they have Raid the following week after release and Trials right at the end of the week
Looks like they got things locked down on releasing stuff

s'mores if you must also eat the pop-tarts guys.

im struggling to find a rockstar drink with a destiny code. checked 3 walgreens and 4 7-11 at 11am, 1pm, and 6pm and found nothing.

wrong store?

Don't really feet about Rockstar, there just Blue Engrams rewards, you'll out level them most likely within a week, hell by Day 2 or 3 lol

LukeSmith

Last year I became a father and gaming had taken a huge backseat in my day to day life. I wouldn't change that for anything though because noomi jr is the most amazing-est little dude I know <3! I'm lucky if I can get in an hour of uninterrupted game-time every other day (pro tip: play when family sleeps because Gaming > Rest.).

congrats on the offspring
opportunity is to call the child 2oomi

your call tho

Cornbread78

- Cornbread78 (rookie)
- Beltharin (rookie)
- ori0n378e (rookie)
- wiesga01
- Pandora012
- Night_Knight

Be ready to carry the noobs Friday night!

I'll be on a little earlier, but we'll party up about 10:50 or so. Are your forum names the same as your PSN?

This is awesome, thanks everyone!

Only a couple more hours to go hoorah!

noomi

your call tho

I'll legally change his name to anything you want if you give me cross-saves and release the PC version early!

Please don't tell me wife I said that though... please...

chur

I've been meaning to ask this for some time but I keep forgetting. Why does it say Season 1 in the Companion app in the Clan section?

Carbonox

In what format do these Limited Editions give you the extra bonuses? I have the PS4 Limited Edition on preorder which gives you:

- Legendary Sword
- Legendary Player Emote
- Cabal Empire Themed Emblem

Are these in the form of paper codes in the box typically (I didn't get the D1 LE so I dunno how they did it then)?

In what format do these Limited Editions give you the extra bonuses? I have the PS4 Limited Edition on preorder which gives you:

- Legendary Sword
- Legendary Player Emote
- Cabal Empire Themed Emblem

Are these in the form of paper codes in the box typically (I didn't get the D1 LE so I dunno how they did it then)?

They'll probably be at the Postmaster in-game (whenever you reach a point you can use them in the case of the sword).

Edit: Sorry, I now see you're talking about the physical edition as the digital version would just tie those things to your account but in this case you'll probably get codes to redeem.

LTWood12

I'm maining Warlock first so that my reset crew has one, but I cannot abide having warlock be at the top in my character select screen.

Wonder if you import all 3 characters at the same time or if you create them each individually. In that case, I'll be playing the first mission on Titan, then Hunter, and Finally on Warlock to keep the same character select screen order.

I've thought about this a little too much maybe.

I've been meaning to ask this for some time but I keep forgetting. Why does it say Season 1 in the Companion app in the Clan section?

Hmmmm...good question.

My guess is that however the points tally for the boons, that it resets every so often. Each reset will be a new season.

This would give clans a reason to continuously play together and sherpa other players as they have to re-earn the clan benefits every so often.

GraveRobberX

your call tho

Luke give me those Goodies, please!

You kept harming poor Ikora!, Let her be nurtured by my gaze as I look upon her with glee!

Give me all the goodies on that table!

Will go nicely with all the Mega Blocks sets and bought the Trinity McFarlane toys
Still setting up Mega Blocks, making a diorama using Lego flat floor 8x8 pieces, my fingers still ache building those damn Shanks!

chur

My guess is that however the points tally for the boons, that it resets every so often. Each reset will be a new season.

This would give clans a reason to continuously play together and sherpa other players as they have to re-earn the clan benefits every so often.
Makes sense, thanks.

GraveRobberX

I'm maining Warlock first so that my reset crew has one, but I cannot abide having warlock be at the top in my character select screen.

Wonder if you import all 3 characters at the same time or if you create them each individually. In that case, I'll be playing the first mission on Titan, then Hunter, and Finally on Warlock to keep the same character select screen order.

Yuck

Warlock at the Top
Titan to hold Middle
Hunters at the Botton

WTH > What The Hell!

traveler

Not Wario
Is there any kind of launch party in Seattle/Bungie next week? Next week is my last week in Bellevue before moving over to the proper side of Lake Washington. Finally out of exile...

Have to start with Titan. They've never let me down and Captain America was pretty fun in beta. I will say that the new Hunter spec is the most I've ever been tempted by that class. Weaving throughout melee range alternating dodges and melees with the talent setup geared for it is a real thrill, but the lack of invincibility frames on the dodge is just enough to sway me back towards Titan.

GraveRobberX

The correct answer is

Hunter
Hunter
Hunter

Blasphemy!

Just like you Hunters, being the HHH of the group, marrying the bosses daughter and burying everybody to gain fame and fortune

Oh shit WrassleGAF invasion in 3.. 2.. 1..

Carbonox

They'll probably be at the Postmaster in-game (whenever you reach a point you can use them in the case of the sword).

Edit: Sorry, I now see you're talking about the physical edition as the digital version would just tie those things to your account but in this case you'll probably get codes to redeem.

Yeah, it's mainly because I'm considering preordering the digital standard edition whilst retaining my physical LE preorder. That way I can preload and be set up for midnight but still get my physical LE. I was just wondering how you redeem both sets of preorder bonuses given I would be doing it on both sides of the spectrum (the digital stuff would automatically be included but the physical edition's bonus goodies would probably be via a download code within the box?).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

That was definitely my first thought. Not ideal.

Thankfully you can check the power level of the engram while it's in your inventory, and then make a decision to go see the cryptarch or not. I would think it would have to be a pretty dramatic difference to take you out of the middle of a mission.
So yeah, a few things here. This is all speculative of course... who knows how it will play out.

But basically the proposition is that the ideal way to play will become to, upon getting an engram, immediately stop your "game flow" and go to the farm to decrypt it, because a Light level increase will mean that the next engram drop that occurs will drop at a higher potential light.

1) The first thing here is that this is immediately a gamble of opportunity cost. It assumes that the overall light level increase you'd obtain by getting an engram, going back to decrypt it, going back out and getting another engram and going back to decrypt it, is higher than the increase you'd receive via collecting 2 or more engrams and coming back to decrypt them at one time, over the same total span of real-world time. It would take testing to determine whether or not this is the case, but my assumption- because any upgrade to a slot will increase your overall Light, thus bringing you higher in total in one shot versus a larger increment of increase per single engram- is that going back to decrypt every single engram regardless of what it is* would actually be a waste of your time overall.

2) If the example of the beta and prelease patrol footage I have seen was not wholly inaccurate, several activities will reward not engrams, but zone-specific Tokens to purchase gear or gear outright in your loot stream. This means that progression-relevant upgrades can and will happen "in the field," upping the base light of your next engram drop, further inviting the question of opportunity cost- if your options are going back to the farm right away to decrypt when what you really want to do is a Public Event, and that Public Event might itself get you an upgrade as a reward... is it worth it?

3) When you get an engram, you can immediately view its base light level, and it can decrypt to within a few Light higher of what is shown from what I've heard.
*If they function like the original Destiny, you will be able to see what type of engram you've got and knowing what potential light it is, it'll be very easy to know if this is worth it for you. Gloves at the same Light? Meh. A primary weapon at 10 Light higher?
Ummm I'm going to the Farm. But that's the thing, you'll want to do that anyway.
You just got a new significantly stronger gun to check out.​
If they don't, and it's unknown what slot an engram is for until you decrypt it, it is even less of a good idea to interrupt your actions specifically to decrypt a single one. If you get there and it's a slot upgrade you just didn't need, you've essentially wasted a trip when you could have been shooting more mans.​

Anyway for anyone who bothered to read this, my fervent hope remains that I won't have to make any guides. That the systems in Destiny 2 are transparent and player-friendly enough that people will never have to think all that much about this stuff if they don't want to, and can just meaningfully progress by playing the game at their own pace. It was getting pretty close already by the end of D1.

LTWood12

So yeah, a few things here. This is all speculative of course... who knows how it will play out.

But basically the proposition is that the ideal way to play will become to, upon getting an engram, immediately stop your "game flow" and go to the farm to decrypt it, because a Light level increase will mean that the next engram drop that occurs will drop at a higher potential light.

1) The first thing here is that this is immediately a gamble of opportunity cost. It assumes that the overall light level increase you'd obtain by getting an engram, going back to decrypt it, going back out and getting another engram and going back to decrypt it, is higher than the increase you'd receive via collecting 2 or more engrams and coming back to decrypt them at one time, over the same total span of real-world time. It would take testing to determine whether or not this is the case, but my assumption- because any upgrade to a slot will increase your overall Light, thus bringing you higher in total in one shot versus a larger increment of increase per single engram- is that going back to decrypt every single engram regardless of what it is* would actually be a waste of your time overall.

2) If the example of the beta and prelease patrol footage I have seen was not wholly inaccurate, several activities will reward not engrams, but zone-specific Tokens to purchase gear or gear outright in your loot stream. This means that progression-relevant upgrades can and will happen "in the field," upping the base light of your next engram drop, further inviting the question of opportunity cost- if your options are going back to the farm right away to decrypt when what you really want to do is a Public Event, and that Public Event might itself get you an upgrade as a reward... is it worth it?

3) When you get an engram, you can immediately view its base light level, and it can decrypt to within a few Light higher of what is shown from what I've heard.
*If they function like the original Destiny, you will be able to see what type of engram you've got and knowing what potential light it is, it'll be very easy to know if this is worth it for you. Gloves at the same Light? Meh. A primary weapon at 10 Light higher?
Ummm I'm going to the Farm. But that's the thing, you'll want to do that anyway.
If they don't, and it's unknown what slot an engram is for until you decrypt it, it is even less of a good idea to interrupt your actions specifically to decrypt a single one. If you get there and it's a slot upgrade you just didn't need, you've essentially wasted a trip when you could have been shooting more mans.​

Anyway for anyone who bothered to read this, my fervent hope remains that I won't have to make any guides. That the systems in Destiny 2 are transparent and player-friendly enough that people will never have to think all that much about this stuff if they don't want to, and can just meaningfully progress by playing the game at their own pace. It was getting pretty close already by the end of D1.

A very rational way of looking at it. That's pretty much how I plan to do it.

I am not sure why, but the seeming gamble you might have to take depending on which way you go, is appealing to me.

I like that you have to think about it a bit and make a strategic call. More light now via these two engrams, and abandon something that I might regret abandoning (although you wouldn't know if the reward you abandoned was any good) OR wait it out.

My most logical side says that if you have an engram in hand that ups your light even a tiny bit, that's worth the trip. Every sure thing is steady, measurable progression. Staying in the field and hoping you get something 'big' might pay off occasionally. It could be worth staying, and might not be.

The other factor for me is how quickly to can get to a cryptarch and get that decryption done. It should be faster than D1 since an orbit trip is now removed, it's a straight travel from field to farm, regardless of what planet you're on.

This is the best "prepping for Destiny 2 post" I've seen in days. (even though I main warlock)

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
I missed the Beta (sadly), but how are Hunters? That was my main (well, only, never felt the urge to make another) class and I'm curious to see how they are in D2. Hopefully just as awesome. I remember reading somewhere that Bungie has pushed each of the classes into specific roles where it's like Hunters are DPS, Warlocks are support, and Titans are tanks. Is that correct?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Every sure thing is steady, measurable progression.
True, we (or at least I thus far) also don't know what gear rewards from activities are likely to drop at, or how valuable for progression the gear you get from EDZ/etc. Tokens is when they are activity rewards themselves. Plenty to see
I missed the Beta (sadly), but how are Hunters? That was my main (well, only, never felt the urge to make another) class and I'm curious to see how they are in D2. Hopefully just as awesome. I remember reading somewhere that Bungie has pushed each of the classes into specific roles where it's like Hunters are DPS, Warlocks are support, and Titans are tanks. Is that correct?
they are awesome but from the beta we don't know the full extent, in fact we were able to use basically 2/6th of the options they will have, I won't clarify just in case anyone is still totally unspoiled it should be pretty cool stuff.

In PvE, the Arcstrider (new arc class) is way better than BD was (sadly minus stealth), the super has all kinds of AoE moves and combos.

As far as the three classes being in fixed roles, that's not quite the case but each class has a totally unique ability aside from their grenade and melee so they feel much more distinct from each other, and on all three and there is a lot more synergy and perks that benefit the full team rather than the individual (so having one of each feels really valuable).

Why wouldn't the loot system simply take into account the power level of the engram in your inventory, just the same way it does any other gear?

Especially since it doesn't matter what type of gear the Engram decrypts to when the system in measuring the players power. It's just looking at an average and dropping something at a power level appropriate to that average.

Hunter's are still pretty good, though I'm more of a Warlock guy myself.

Bungie has been against pushing a class into a specific role, but the class abilities they each have kind of support what you said. Titans have a wall they can put down, Warlocks put down a pool that either heals or increases weapon damage. Hunter get a dodge, the same one that Nightsalkers had in D1. The dodge either refreshes melee ability cooldown, or reloads your weapon, if I remember correctly.

Eric WK

Why wouldn't the loot system simply take into account the power level of the engram in your inventory, just the same way it does any other gear?

Especially since it doesn't matter what type of gear the Engram decrypts to when the system in measuring the players power. It's just looking at an average and dropping something at a power level appropriate to that average.

No, the Weekly Update explicitly states that encrypted engrams do not contribute.

No, the Weekly Update explicitly states that encrypted engrams do not contribute.

You're right. I had read that but I suppose I glossed over that it's not included in the calculations as I recalled that part being about what was going to be rolled. A memory brain-fart so-to-speak.

I still don't see why the system would need to know what type of gear the engram is going to roll though. Though it does seem to suggest that the power level listed at the time it drops is a minimum decrypted LL.

I'm not too fussed over it either way though.

From the Bungie Weekly Update...

"When we say "best possible gear," we look at what the best scenario is for your character across your account. This means that, if you are playing on your Hunter (like you should), we might use the Helmet you accidentally left in the vault, the Boots you just picked up but haven't equipped, and the Auto Rifle that you forgot to transfer from your Warlock. Gear on other characters, in the vault, in your inventory, or currently equipped are all compared to find the best loadout you could have."

I agree about the Hunter but beyond that the way the loot will be calculated will be by class specific armor and global weapons in every inventory/vault in-game. The former makes me wonder if this time infusion will require class specific armor, I mean nothing states that specifically but I wouldn't be surprised at this point either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It can't because what slot you replace will have a different impact on how much your overall Light is raised

It can't because what slot you replace will have a different impact on how much your overall Light is raised

Once you equip, sure. You get a light improvement on your lowest level slot, it will have more effect than a minor boost in your highest.

However if it's taking your average LL into account and dropping something to boost that average, wouldn't the best way to go about this be dropping the new loot at a minimum LL difference to meaningfully boost? Something like a 10 pt LL boost. So that it will effectively boost your LL regardless of the slot, as opposed to a 1-2 pt boost over your lowest slot.

Such a system would only become difficult once you're in the last 10 pt range of cap. But at that point, the system should switch from random LL drops to fixed drops as a reward for activity completion imo. I.E. Fixed LL improvements from raids, trials, and IB.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Really excited to kill something withh Coldheart for the first time haha!
I'm extremely curious as to how it will feel to just keep a beam on an enemy until they fall over. I can't imagine it'll be as satisfying as sniping headshots or close up shotgun kills, but Bungie's weapon and sound designers are nearly always amazing, so I'm optimistic that I'll love it!! :)

jiiikoo

Banned
It seems like no one in the other Destiny threads doesn't know the answer, so I'll ask here:

Is it safe as a EU PS4 player to get the Digital Deluxe Super Edition from the US PS store? It's almost 30 euros cheaper on the US store :O

Top Bottom