• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

There's really no incentive to play unless you're new.

I'd try to force myself through some PvP during the week, but a) the meta is pure Ebola b) connections are dogshit again c) Crucible drop rates were nerfed back to Yr2 levels with the SRL update and d) Mantis

gspec

Finally got Icebreaker last night. The only exotics I don't have is the first curse and the chaperone. Since those of crucible quest heavy to complete and given the state of the crucible right now I have just accepted that I won't get those.

Pretty much done with destiny now.

I don't think crucible droprates are any worse. They just diluted the pool. I still get cryptic dragons and red spectres every other match.

Good luck trying to get a good Matador or Luna with all the other bs that drops though. Glad I got my shit already.

TFW your phone dies and you don't have your "fast charger" at work.

I just got the Void sword FINALLY a few days ago after being at the final strike phase since Aksis Hard Mode week 1. All I have left is the Arc sword to get which I really want for some PvP fun.

I also got the VoidLord and just need the SolarLord. i think I'm on the final part of that. After those 2 exotics I'll just need the Warlock and Titan gunsmith exotics and that's it. Going to try to complete those this week since there's nothing else to do haha. Too bad I can't get the SRL year 1 book shader though -_-

Watching some streams and seeing year 1 weapons in PvP makes me miss it a ton. I love when the skill gap was larger and games were fast paced and primary driven. I'd love to try that out again more than anything.

I don't think crucible droprates are any worse. They just diluted the pool. I still get cryptic dragons and red spectres every other match.

Good luck trying to get a good Matador or Luna with all the other bs that drops though. Glad I got my shit already.

Yea, I haven't gotten a single matty to drop since the update. I like that they added more stuff to the pool but they REALLY need to make it rain drops, man.

Cryptarch legendary engrams NEEDS to cost 25 marks each, maybe even cheaper considering so many bad rolls. They got it right with Iron Banner. I've gotten way too many primary and legendary engrams and only once have gotten something decent, and it was on XBOX in year 2 >_<

Magik

It's fun?

Certainly there's little to talk about.

Oh don't get me wrong, there's still fun to be had in Destiny. I still have fun with the game, but at this point, outside of a few things to go for such as the Icebreaker and Raid ship, which to be fair, is held back because Bungie purposely made its drop rates extremely low, there isn't much to go for.

PVE is very streamlined to the point that anyone can easily get the majority of the exotics either through Xur, Missions, or exotic engrams. There really is no chase for exotics compared to Y1 and Y2. Anyone remember the days during reset where people were begging for Gorgon checkpoints to have a chance at Ghorn or any other exotics? You don't have that incentive anymore.

PVP is in some weird purgatory at the moment. Trials is mainly dominated by really strong players which wouldn't be a problem if the bounties were actually worth going for which they unfortunately aren't at the moment.

Crucible population seems to be getting lower and lower each day which makes matchmaking unpredictable and difficult.

And of course, the META, IMO, is probably the most stale it has ever been. The META has been distilled down to only a few loadouts to which you can effectively compete with otherwise you are at a disadvantage unless you enjoy such a challenge. The rewards are a hit and miss as well.

You'll definitely see more activity in the thread as February hits and with the April update if history is to repeat itself but outside of that, it will continue to slow down more as time goes by cause lets be honest, Bungie is, and should be focused on Destiny 2.

Hedgey

Deadstiny.
Heres hoping for some news of Destiny 2 sometime within the next couple of months.
I still enjoy playing Trials every weekend but you can practically smell the fatigue. RoI was a good expansion, but really big fall-off.
Bungie plz

Melchiah

PVE is very streamlined to the point that anyone can easily get the majority of the exotics either through Xur, Missions, or exotic engrams. There really is no chase for exotics compared to Y1 and Y2. Anyone remember the days during reset where people were begging for Gorgon checkpoints to have a chance at Ghorn or any other exotics? You don't have that incentive anymore.

And it's a change for the better. It was frustrating to get only a handful of exotics year one, and it certainly didn't make me want to play the game more. In fact, I quit in November 2014, and returned in October 2015 when TTK improved on many things, and brought Three of Coins.

They could always offer PVP weapons to lure PVE-only players back in, but that's unlikely to happen due to the constant push towards the PVP. It's not the lack of new gear, or reaching max level, that pushes me away though, it's the lack of regular events and new content to play on the PVE side.

GlamFM

Banned
E3 we´ll hear about Destiny 2.

Book it.

Until then: crickets.

Deadstiny.
Heres hoping for some news of Destiny 2 sometime within the next couple of months.
I still enjoy playing Trials every weekend but you can practically smell the fatigue. RoI was a good expansion, but really big fall-off.
Bungie plz

As much a people think they hate the grind - removing it entirely hurts the game a lot.

Melchiah

As much a people think they hate the grind - removing it entirely hurts the game a lot.

Nah. If Destiny 2 ends up being more like Destiny year one, instead of year two, it won't take long for me to abandon the grind. Quicker and constant progress is always better in my book.

GlamFM

Banned
Nah. If Destiny 2 ends up being more like Destiny year one, instead of year two, it won't take long for me to abandon the grind. Quicker and constant progress is always better in my book.

At least people never stopped playing during Y1.

EDIT: I mean - sad that you would be leaving, but more Y1 is exactly what I want and what I hope for.

Melchiah

I did. Year one managed to keep me playing for only 2½ months, whereas the post-TTK state of the game has kept me playing for 15 months. Eventually, there's bound to be a moment when you've played enough. It's certainly not due to the absence of grind, but the absence of new content to play.

EDIT:
EDIT: I mean - sad that you would be leaving, but more Y1 is exactly what I want and what I hope for.

Personally, I just don't see anything in year one, that would make it better than it's now. Well, aside from elemental primaries perhaps, which I never even got to try back then. Dunno how the PVP side compares, as I never venture there.

FyreWulff

Me and everyone in my circle stopped playing right after Dark Below. We didn't get back into it until House of Wolves turned the entire game around.

I even went back and checked the heatmap, and.. yeah, I think DB had a lot of lessons for Bungie, in general.

kzps50e.png

The thing that made me stop playing before TDB was running out of things to do and no possible progression without people to play with. I was convinced I wouldn't like PvP so didn't try. I came back a few weeks before TTK when I met a dude at a party who played on XB1.

While I don't think getting an exotic feels as special with ToC, it removed so much frustration that I certainly liked it. I really, really liked Spindle, and to a lesser extent the other non-drop exotics with quests (more challenge, less grind though!).

PvP being stale: change your loadout?

glaurung

Y1 Destiny stories?

I played solo. Completely solo. Started on day one and ran into the ground once I hit level 26. Could not progress from there, no raids or anything. Left the game and came back at the end of HoW. Met other players from my country, got real good, been grinding ever since. Currently running a guild, but people are dropping off fast.

Melchiah

Me and everyone in my circle stopped playing right after Dark Below. We didn't get back into it until House of Wolves turned the entire game around.

I even went back and checked the heatmap, and.. yeah, I think DB had a lot of lessons for Bungie, in general.

kzps50e.png

I quitted when DB arrived, and the rest of our group moved on to playing its content. I couldn't justify paying the price for the little content it offered.

The graph really portrays how the amount of content, and perhaps the decreased grind as well, kept people playing longer.

The thing that made me stop playing before TDB was running out of things to do and no possible progression without people to play with. I was convinced I wouldn't like PvP so didn't try. I came back a few weeks before TTK when I met a dude at a party who played on XB1.

While I don't think getting an exotic feels as special with ToC, it removed so much frustration that I certainly liked it. I really, really liked Spindle, and to a lesser extent the other non-drop exotics with quests (more challenge, less grind though!).

PvP being stale: change your loadout?

It may not feel as special now, but I greatly prefer it over how it was in the beginning. IIRC, I only managed to get exotic gauntlets, and a primary (or two) for the Hunter back then. It made me feel like I didn't make any progress at all. The exotic (and legendary) drops can feel special post-TTK as well, when you get gear that's to your liking, like Fr0st-EE5 and Dunemarchers in my case.

I may also be a bit different from the majority of players when it comes to gear. When I find something I really like, be it perks or looks, I tend to stick with it. I've used the primary weapons Zhalo, Hung Jury, and Keystone 01 for the past 15 months, and I'm still using some of the legendary armor, that I got shortly after the RoI launch. Hell, I'm still using S-34 Ravensteel and Chasing Infinity as well. =)

GlamFM

Banned
Y1 Destiny stories?

I played solo. Completely solo. Started on day one and ran into the ground once I hit level 26. Could not progress from there, no raids or anything. Left the game and came back at the end of HoW. Met other players from my country, got real good, been grinding ever since. Currently running a guild, but people are dropping off fast.

My first ever Raid completion. Early DGAF days.

Little did I know that I would be in the forever 29 club and never make it to 30 until TDB arrived.

EjWRN0y.png

FyreWulff

I still remember (at least, I think) my perpetual Y1 loadout

Praedyth's Timepiece (Vision of Confluence if it was solar burn)
Found Verdict
Thunderlord

Back when shotties were OP and Thunderlord was a full auto sniper rifle. IIRC it took forever for Tlord to be a Xur drop so it wasn't that common

Melchiah

Just glanced through my Destiny trophies, and this picked my eyes...

The Life Exotic
Obtain and equip a piece of Exotic gear.
24th Oct 2014

Packing Heat
Fully upgrade an Exotic weapon.
19th Nov 2014

...it took nearly a month to fully upgrade a single piece of exotic gear. I certainly don't miss the grind for upgrade materials. =D

Deku Tree

Instead of grinding for a ship with a 1% drop rate or an Icebreaker with a 1-2-% drop rate, or a spliced helmet that just never drops, I decided to "play other games".

FeelsGoodMan

Shiv47

I only played Y1 Destiny for the first 2.5 months after launch, in part because up to that point, I never (and I mean never) played PvP/online multiplayer games, and I grew bored with the single player experience. The times I tried PvP, I consequently was terrible at it, and there was no incentive to play more. I also only got two exotics during that time, one of which had already been nerfed (Pocket Infinity) and one I think I bought from Xur. So the game also lacked that feel of getting cool gear. When I jumped back on board about a month before TTK, I started hooking up with people here and that changed everything. There's no way I'd still be playing without being part of this community, regardless of drop rate or ToC or anything else.

ACR0019

Personally, I spent the most time with the game after the April Update. Having multiple ways to acquire top level loot was perfect for my play style and now the upgrade paths feel completely unrewarding because Crucible is too sweaty and raid teams are non-existent. Waiting every week to see if the Nightfall is worth doing for a chance at 400 loot? Gimme a break. When Dead Orbit packages give me 400 loot, I'll be back to my old playing habits. Until then... meh.

glaurung

Instead of grinding for a ship with a 1% drop rate or an Icebreaker with a 1-2-% drop rate, or a spliced helmet that just never drops, I decided to "play other games".

FeelsGoodMan
Icebreaker drop rate goes way up after your 10th Sunrise bounty.

Ship drops... Yeah, 2% chance from the raid is the only thing that keeps my friends run three Aksis checkpoints every week.

glaurung

Says who?
Hands-on experience.

Most of my clan ran 3x Sunrise every week since the patch. Almost all people got it either last week or this week, myself included. Some people got three Icebreakers, one after the other.

A ridiculously low number of players got it within the first two weeks.

Of course, this is a small corpus for good statistics, but still. The same thing happened with the Thorn bounty - everybody started getting those Jagged Purpose bounties once they had handed in at least 20 Shiro weekly bounties.

Unfortunately Destiny requires people to play the meta in order to be succesful. Yes, you can switch up your loadout, but why would you purposely handicap yourself?

Bungie needs to be more proactive in balancing the game on a regular basis.

That's because the game treated people's time and effort poorly in Y1 with abysmal drop rates and the need to grind. People didn't play more because it was a better game(except for the PvP). I never want to go back to Y1 in that regard. While Destiny today does have its peaks and valleys, I can play it without the fear of missing out and still enjoy other games during the slow times. If anything, Destiny should be more like Diablo 3 in terms of grind and drop rates.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Still the best playing fps out there. To keep myself entertained I randomly follow blues in patrol and help them. Lots of new blues these days.

GlamFM

Banned
That's because the game treated people's time and effort poorly in Y1 with abysmal drop rates and the need to grind. People didn't play more because it was a better game(except for the PvP). I never want to go back to Y1 in that regard. While Destiny today does have its peaks and valleys, I can play it without the fear of missing out and still enjoy other games during the slow times. If anything, Destiny should be more like Diablo 3 in terms of grind and drop rates.

"Treating time poorly" is a phrase that everybody landed on, but in the context of Videogames has always been bullshit to me. I always find and found "hoping to get thing" more fun then "finally getting thing". Once I get everything in a Raid I move on. That´s why I played the Vault around 100 times and WOTM around 15. Carrot on the stick and all. Once you give the Donkey the carrot it stops moving..

E92 M3

I'd try to force myself through some PvP during the week, but a) the meta is pure Ebola b) connections are dogshit again c) Crucible drop rates were nerfed back to Yr2 levels with the SRL update and d) Mantis

I did notice that the drops were nerfed.

E3 we´ll hear about Destiny 2.

Book it.

Until then: crickets.

Nah, I prefer having time to enjoy other things and still have everything in Destiny. The Year 1 grind was obnoxious. The BIGGEST limiting factor to my enjoyment of the game is the limited vault space. I stopped doing WotM due to lack of space.

"Treating time poorly" is a phrase that everybody landed on, but in the context of Videogames has always been bullshit to me. I always find and found "hoping to get thing" more fun then "finally getting thing". Once I get everything in a Raid I move on. That´s why I played the Vault around 100 times and WOTM around 15. Carrot on the stick and all. Once you give the Donkey the carrot it stops moving..

That's great that you enjoy that more. Personally, it's the opposite for me. I would rather get something in a reasonable time than have to run any piece of content over, and over, and over again. No reward, for all effort, is bullshit to me. The "reward" of just playing just doesn't do it for me.

That's the awesome thing about WOTM. You get as much as you put into the raid thanks to how the loot system and keys work. While Vault of Glass was a great raid, you could put in all the effort and get nothing worthwhile by the end.

Sure, people stop playing, but why is that a bad thing? Even today a game like WoW can't maintain a huge population consistently. While I do enjoy Destiny, there's so many other great games to play and experience during the down times around here.

Shiv47

Unfortunately Destiny requires people to play the meta in order to be succesful. Yes, you can switch up your loadout, but why would you purposely handicap yourself?

I laugh when someone like True Vanguard posts well-meaning but essentially naive videos about how you should play with less-used weapons to keep things fresh in PvP, but players at his level can play with anything and be successful enough to enjoy it, if not still stomp anyone. The rest of us can't. Or I can't at any rate. So it's Grasp/Matador a-go-go, every time.

This is a fundamental difference in people. Some people like the chase. Others like actually having something. What was more fun to you? Grinding Nightfalls and cheesing the opening of Crota's End or actually using Gjallarhorn:

FocusedRashAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif

The chase is fun, I get it, but it can't be everything. Having something rare is fun, I get that too. But it comes down to this: do you like playing the game itself? Or do you like just checking things off a checklist? Wrath of the Machine is fantastic. Easily the most fun raid and I didn't beat my brains out like in Crota's End. I never had to play Wrath beyond when I wasn't having fun. Grinding makes people play more than they want. More than is fun. More than is healthy.

Too much of Year 1 was only the chase. Yeah, people ground the hell out of it, but plenty of people soured on Destiny entirely and never came back. I also didn't get a Hawkmoon until 2 weeks before Year 2. I never got a triple lucky bullet. That's bullshit. Good games, non-abusive games at least, have bad luck protection.

Even in Year 3 I believe loot drops are still too stingy. But Destiny's gearing is just incredibly broken for what they want to do.

You want Year 1 drop rates? Go get yourself a Fakebringer. See how shitty that feels.

d60bd0671079498cfd8fd14300153fc3a59f1fb95d6ea8793b9d9516d0effc28_1.jpg

And having generous drops, bad luck protection, re-rolling, gambling and plenty of control in general over drops hasn't stopped the JUGGERNAUT that is Diablo 3 from still being relevant and having tons of play time almost 5 years later.

CngoCYqWIAANkPF.jpg

Variety— and how much of a handicap are some of the choices you can make if you are a good player? It feels to me that the Clever Dragon is a bigger must-use than a Matador.

FWIW I had to make myself not use my god-roll Matador after I got it, though.

Yeah, no question.

The rest of us can't. Or I can't at any rate. So it's Grasp/Matador a-go-go, every time.

Aren't you being matched with people at your skill level, though? And he with those at his? Unless you're always the least skilled player in a fireteam of 4+, I think you should be able to go off-meta at least a little.

(I say that and I frequently use a Grasp as my primary— but it's not a god-roll).

LTWood12

Still the best playing fps out there. To keep myself entertained I randomly follow blues in patrol and help them. Lots of new blues these days.

I've done that a bit lately as well haha. And you're right; nothing feels better to me.

I had no idea they nerfed drops smh. They'd finally gotten it right. Good grief.

(i haven't played pvp since the SRL update)

glaurung

I had no idea they nerfed drops smh. They'd finally gotten it right. Good grief.

(i haven't played pvp since the SRL update)
I haven't played Crucible after SRL either, but the amount of Matadors and Eyaslunas that dropped from that was pretty embarrassing. The only time I queued up for daily PvP, I got matched against Murdaro's full fireteam. That was not fun.

LTWood12

I haven't played Crucible after SRL either, but the amount of Matadors and Eyaslunas that dropped from that was pretty embarrassing. The only time I queued up for daily PvP, I got matched against Murdaro's full fireteam. That was not fun.

Why is it embarrassing?

Mindlog

As Dad as it has ever been. We went full Seahorse.
This is a fundamental difference in people. Some people like the chase. Others like actually having something. What was more fun to you? Grinding Nightfalls and cheesing the opening of Crota's End or actually using Gjallarhorn:
&#128077;

I'm 0-everything in the Icebreaker hunt, but I'd probably still run Nightfalls even if I had it. I like the challenge and the modifiers keep it interesting. Modifiers on the weekly can be more hit and miss.

Top Bottom