• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Happy Thor's Day! Happy Friday Eve!

The day I look forward to Trials (~24 hours from now).

Bringing back Top of page hype:

penguin8.jpg

Melchiah

That's great that you enjoy that more. Personally, it's the opposite for me. I would rather get something in a reasonable time than have to run any piece of content over, and over, and over again. No reward, for all effort, is bullshit to me. The "reward" of just playing just doesn't do it for me.

That's the awesome thing about WOTM. You get as much as you put into the raid thanks to how the loot system and keys work. While Vault of Glass was a great raid, you could put in all the effort and get nothing worthwhile by the end.

Sure, people stop playing, but why is that a bad thing? Even today a game like WoW can't maintain a huge population consistently. While I do enjoy Destiny, there's so many other great games to play and experience during the down times around here.

Same for me as well. If the game won't give me a sense of reward, I just move on to something else. Year one constraints would only ensure, that I wouldn't be playing the game.

What I like about post-TTK Destiny, is that I can reach 400LL and get good gear without raids. I still haven't completed WOTM even once, and all three of my characters are at 400. I've also gotten most of the current exotics, that don't demand PVP. That's not to say it's too easy, since it took me hundreds of hours to get there.

What would keep me playing the game more often now, is PVE events like Queen's Wrath and getting 400 level faction rewards. That would give me a reason to play patrols again, which is what I enjoy the most. I like their free-form play more than doing strikes, which are now the best source for high level gear.

EDIT:
This is a fundamental difference in people. Some people like the chase. Others like actually having something. What was more fun to you? Grinding Nightfalls and cheesing the opening of Crota's End or actually using Gjallarhorn:

FocusedRashAlligatorgar-size_restricted.gif

The latter, definitely.

You guys are crazy. The game isn't over until you have every god roll of every archetype, every tier 12 build in every form with every reload type with every type of gear (IB, Trials, Raid, etc.) Oh wait we don't have enough room for all of that in our vault.

Variety— and how much of a handicap are some of the choices you can make if you are a good player? It feels to me that the Clever Dragon is a bigger must-use than a Matador.

Even if you're a good player, you are no match against people using the current meta. I come to this perspective as someone who only plays Trials these days.

You can have as much variety as you want, but you just won't win. Most, if not all guns, cannot compete, especially when an entire team is running HCR Clever Dragons, Matadors, Double Skip Nades, Skorri's, etc...

I WISH I could use other guns and be successful. Nothing would be more fun. That's why I love TitanFall 2. Everything works and works well.

Even if you're a good player, you are no match against people using the current meta. I come to this perspective as someone who only plays Trials these days.

Fair enough. My experience is mostly playing sixes— simply don't have anyone to play Trials with.

That's why I love TitanFall 2. Everything works and works well.

Something something PC something something Devotion something Hemlock something something amped shield. :p

Fair enough. My experience is mostly playing sixes— simply don't have anyone to play Trials with.

Something something PC something something Devotion something Hemlock something something amped shield. :p

Yeah Devotion & Hemlock are strong, but so many other guns are tooo. All the SMGs are great. So are the autos. And Eva8. And each of these have a range & playstyle that fit it. Unlike Grasp that has no downsides.

And let's set that aside. Let's say that Devotion & Hemlock are all that matter, like Grasp/CD is the most viable. You can just pick those off a menu. You don't have to grind for freaking ever and then still never get a god roll.

Ha! Not to stray to far off the topic of Destiny, but I've never really had an issue with those things in Titanfall. The movement plus strong primaries really make short work of people that sit back and play passive. I'll take dealing with a Hemlock over a Clever Dragon any day of the week!

Yeah Devotion & Hemlock are strong, but so many other guns are tooo. All the SMGs are great. So are the autos. And Eva8. And each of these have a range & playstyle that fit it. Unlike Grasp that has no downsides.

Yeah, it wasn't a serious counterpoint (hence the 'something something's), just making fun of shit I read about Titanfall (which I got for Christmas and have actually been playing more than Destiny). Would like pulses, and especially the fast RoF ones to be given a role, and if that role is jack of all trades then they need not to be 'best everywhere'.

Ha! Not to stray to far off the topic of Destiny, but I've never really had an issue with those things in Titanfall. The movement plus strong primaries really make short work of people that sit back and play passive. I'll take dealing with a Hemlock over a Clever Dragon any day of the week!

Are you playing on PS4? It seems like it is more unbalanced on PC from the thread. The TTK is so fast I'm not sure I have time to worry about anything. I'm also still trying to figure out the movement (I did OK in the first game).

I just want to keep posting this.

Bungie, please make it RAIN rewards. There are too many bad rolls and the only way to fix that besides having a better perk tree is to shower with rewards so playing actually feels productive.

Cryptarch needs to sell engrams at around 25 marks instead of 135.

Are you playing on PS4? It seems like it is more unbalanced on PC from the thread. The TTK is so fast I'm not sure I have time to worry about anything. I'm also still trying to figure out the movement (I did OK in the first game).

Yup. PS4. I can see how it would be more of an issue on PC with how accurate the guns are.

I played a match of TF2 MP. I was bad. So a lot like Destiny.

On Vita too? :)

I played a match of TF2 MP. I was bad. So a lot like Destiny.

But did you have fun? My win % in TF2 is low, but I have fun every match. The score screen doesn't have KD or even Deaths. You see the stuff that makes you feel good. Overwatch does similar things. Even if I'm having a hard time getting kills, I can have fun wall running and bouncing around.

Meanwhile if you want to have a chill experience in Destiny, "try strikes." It's called the Crucible. They want you to sweat. And your reward for improving isn't seeing your performance improve. You will always be sweating, always have a 50% win rate, always have your KD driven to 1.0. It punishes experimentation and using non-meta loadouts. It punishes playing with friends.

Destiny's PvP philosophy is too negative in my opinion.

For instance, you shouldn't be able to see other people's drops. What does that do other than generate salt?

You shouldn't be able to see KD (or maybe even deaths) of other players. What does that do other than generate salt?

You shouldn't be created with an XP screen after a match when 90% of the time you don't have anything to level. It makes you feel like there wasn't anything gained.

Destiny 2 needs to seriously reconsider what & how it communicates to the player for a match.

I just want to keep posting this.

Bungie, please make it RAIN rewards. There are too many bad rolls and the only way to fix that besides having a better perk tree is to shower with rewards so playing actually feels productive.

Cryptarch needs to sell engrams at around 25 marks instead of 135.
100% agree!!!

You keep posting, I'll keep agreeing. Purple rain.

LTWood12

But did you have fun? My win % in TF2 is low, but I have fun every match. The score screen doesn't have KD or even Deaths. You see the stuff that makes you feel good. Overwatch does similar things. Even if I'm having a hard time getting kills, I can have fun wall running and bouncing around.

Meanwhile if you want to have a chill experience in Destiny, "try strikes." It's called the Crucible. They want you to sweat. And your reward for improving isn't seeing your performance improve. You will always be sweating, always have a 50% win rate, always have your KD driven to 1.0. It punishes experimentation and using non-meta loadouts. It punishes playing with friends.

Destiny's PvP philosophy is too negative in my opinion.

I'm not passing any judgement on it. It looks awesome. I've played literally one match and got rolled. That would happen in any game.

100% agree!!!

You keep posting, I'll keep agreeing. Purple rain.

It's almost like they're scared to over-reward us when that wouldn't be the case.

Nightfalls for example shouldn't be a single reward, it should be about 5 sets of rewards. an exotic or exotic engram, a legendary, some strange coins and motes and a few legendary engram, and some planetary mats of the nightfall location. Also a change at an emote on top of that all. REWARD US.

If those were the rewards, I'd do it 3x a week every week again. I haven't done NF 3x a week every week since year 1.

TWAB is out later today. They better talk about balance because nothing else matters nearly as much, atm.

Same. I was taking a break after Spooky Trials eagerly awaiting the December balance update. After all the previous December had weapons AND Titan updates, but this year? Nothing.

I'd guess we'll get one more to tide us through to Destiny 2.

LTWood12

They need to buff shotguns, fusions, and sidearms in pve. In our WotM run from this past Tuesday; i was checking out our kills by weapon:

4 of us had literally zero kills with a special weapon.

T-44 had 3 Sniper Kills w/ EX MACHINA; almost assuredly at least one of which was Vosik.

Hawkian had 7 kills w/ Wormwood because Hawk gonna Hawk.

Same. I was taking a break after Spooky Trials eagerly awaiting the December balance update. After all the previous December had weapons AND Titan updates, but this year? Nothing.

I'd guess we'll get one more to tide us through to Destiny 2.

Yea, and we know there is nothing new going to be added anytime soon (or ever?) so balance is the only other important realistic subject, regarding Destiny 1.

Here's to hoping

Same for me as well. If the game won't give me a sense of reward, I just move on to something else. Year one constraints would only ensure, that I wouldn't be playing the game.

What I like about post-TTK Destiny, is that I can reach 400LL and get good gear without raids. I still haven't completed WOTM even once, and all three of my characters are at 400. I've also gotten most of the current exotics, that don't demand PVP. That's not to say it's too easy, since it took me hundreds of hours to get there.

What would keep me playing the game more often now, is PVE events like Queen's Wrath and getting 400 level faction rewards. That would give me a reason to play patrols again, which is what I enjoy the most. I like their free-form play more than doing strikes, which are now the best source for high level gear.

EDIT:

I agree that this is whats great about the game now, BUT: some of my best memories of the game take place during the raids, its just so special. I highly encourage you to seek out a cool team to just run through it all. Its magik!!!!!!!!!

The latter, definitely.
I agree that this is whats great about the game now, BUT: some of my best memories of the game take place during the raids, its just so special. I highly encourage you to seek out a cool team to just run through it all. Its magik!!!!!!!!!

Weekly update will be SRl Stats, iron banner next week then Deej saying in the coming weeks we'll talk more about your journey etc etc.

My guess is a balance patch will drop with Crimson doubles

Our journey. Because we are all going on this Year 3 dry spell journey together.

Well maybe I'll come back for IB unless it is Rift.

He's says shit like that because he's an utter tool, no other reason

They like to hide behind all the fluffy destiny community nonsense they've fostered

LTWood12

Yea, and we know there is nothing new going to be added anytime soon (or ever?) so balance is the only other important realistic subject, regarding Destiny 1.

Here's to hoping

My money is on what Mehr said. 'how great was SRL right? Iron Banner next week! We'll talk about other things in the coming week' (which means at least a month from now).

Shiv47

Aren't you being matched with people at your skill level, though? And he with those at his? Unless you're always the least skilled player in a fireteam of 4+, I think you should be able to go off-meta at least a little.

(I say that and I frequently use a Grasp as my primary— but it's not a god-roll).
Not when I play with Gaf - and that's mostly the only PvP I play. Which means I am usually the least-skilled player in the group.

Melchiah

We played VOG until the end boss, but quitted as it gliched, and never got to finish it back then. We played through KF once, and completed the then easy CE afterwards. We also played WOTM until the bridge, but couldn't arrange a time to finish it before the reset. We never returned to it, after some of the team moved on to other games. I still play the weekly NFs occasionally with one of the old team buddies.

Based on those experiences, the raids aren't my favorite side of the game. I don't like the platforming sections, nor how a minor screw up can lead to a wipe. The monitor section in WOTM took at least dozen tries for us, and I just didn't find it fun. It was also challenging to find a suitable time for everyone, and to finish the raid on one sitting, as there was no guarantee for a second session within a week.

My favorite portions of the game are patrols, strikes, and story missions.
KXMUWmK.jpg

I generally prefer to play by myself, and the occasional strikes are good for pick-up-and-play as well, since there's no need for scheduling.

I sure hope so, my vault is over loaded with potentially good weapons after the balance. We all know the clever dragon archetype will take a nasty hit.

Which is the completely wrong thing to do.

Primaries are already weak enough, the vast majority of primary weapon archetypes are straight up unviable. They should look at buffing primaries instead of further nerfs but hey, chances of that actually happening are pretty slim.

They need to buff shotguns, fusions, and sidearms in pve. In our WotM run from this past Tuesday; i was checking out our kills by weapon:

Have used a void Havoc Pigeon for Vosik a bunch, especially when I first started and couldn't pop the captain with just a nova bomb. Shotguns feel the least useful in PvE— maybe if they staggered majors/ultras more? Getting stomped by a captain or minotaur is a good reason for not closing to shotty range.

Not when I play with Gaf - and that's mostly the only PvP I play. Which means I am usually the least-skilled player in the group.

If you would find it at all fun you should try solo queuing— should have a much easier time of it until SBMM catches up with your actual ability.

HigXx

It'll be a usual TWAB.

Heres some stats, Heres IB next week. Heres Cosmo with videos. Tune in maybe a month later and we *Might* have something to tell you!

I love this game to bits, but theres just no communication between Bungie and us. Destiny 2 needs to improve this

Shiv47

If you would find it at all fun you should try solo queuing— should have a much easier time of it until SBMM catches up with your actual ability.
Oh, I do on occasion, when I have bounty specific stuff that I need to finish, but it's not like I turn into a crucible god or anything. Better sure, but if playing the meta makes me better and a winner more often, I'm still gonna stick with that.

E92 M3

Too many drops and too many near-godrolls.

It could be that they bumped the drops just for SRL, but it felt even higher than during regular weekly/daily matches.

That's a bad attitude to have. Weapons should be dropping like crazy. Why should people have a huge advantage because of RNG?

Diablo 3 is the gold standard of rewarding players.

Top Bottom