• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Trakan

This may interest you as well...

Destiny Concept Art

If only we had gotten the more fantasy-like Destiny from the concept art.
BSoZdHE.jpg

I recently got the Destiny collection on PS4 (last years holiday sale) and I've been playing with a friend. I think we're pretty much done with all content now, and so I'm wondering if there's anything left to do but "grind". I assume there's no new content coming for this, right? We're not really into PvP or the racing stuff, we just want to do co-op PvE.

I don't think we've done all the Heroic SIVA strikes (we're only level 340 so level 350 stuff still kicks our asses) but they're pretty much the same levels/bosses as the regular SIVA strikes, just harder, right?

There's also a Rise of Iron raid (level 370) that we haven't attempted, but I'm not sure we want to grind just for that. Is it worth it?

Deku Tree

I recently got the Destiny collection on PS4 (last years holiday sale) and I've been playing with a friend. I think we're pretty much done with all content now, and so I'm wondering if there's anything left to do but "grind". I assume there's no new content coming for this, right? We're not really into PvP or the racing stuff, we just want to do co-op PvE.

I don't think we've done all the Heroic SIVA strikes (we're only level 340 so level 350 stuff still kicks our asses) but they're pretty much the same levels/bosses as the regular SIVA strikes, just harder, right?

There's also a Rise of Iron raid (level 370) that we haven't attempted, but I'm not sure we want to grind just for that. Is it worth it?

The raids are the best PvE content in Destiny by a mile. But it is gindy to get ready for them. And you do need a coordinated group to get through them. They have "mechanics" that require communication and team work and a multi hour time commitment.

Raids are the best. Also, theres not much grind. Just do strikes, nightfalls, archons forge.

The raids are the best PvE content in Destiny by a mile. But it is gindy to get ready for them. And you do need a coordinated group to get through them. They have "mechanics" that require communication and team work and a multi hour time commitment.
Ah, that's good to know. I don't have a problem with any of that, except for the grind and the fact that it's just me and my friend and so the game keeps pairing us with randoms.

Also, most of the time we don't know what to do; there was a boss with a shield that you had to drop using a relic. It took us a while to figure out what we had to do once we got the relic but in the end we did it. We also play with mics and coordinate all the time.

I just don't think I have it in me to grind 20-30 more light levels. Last Saturday we played for about 8 hours straight and I think that's it for now. Hell, most of my equipment is level 350, with the exception of my rocket, which is below 300. To get a good rocket replacement I need about 70 legendary marks, which means doing 7 heroic strikes. Also, I keep getting closed chests that require skeleton keys, but I have none! Grr.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'll probably leave the game for a while and play Diablo 3 with my friend. Might come back after we get the itch for some more FPS PvE co-op.
Raids are the best. Also, theres not much grind. Just do strikes, nightfalls, archons forge.
Isn't that the definition of grinding? To repeatedly play content over and over for leveling up?

edit: I'm not sure I recall playing archons forge. And I'm not sure we've played nightfalls. We tried the Arena in the Reef (Prison of the Elders I think?) and didn't like it. Too much downtime.

Play Strikes for the gameplay if you like the gameplay. You'll just naturally be pulled upwards in light.
We love the gameplay. It took me a while to get used to the platforming, and I'm still not crazy about it, but the gunplay is typical Bungie goodness.

I also wish the skill tree was better. I play as a Warlock void(walker?) and most of the skills I have yet to unlock incur heavy penalties on agility or defense, etc. So I have no incentive to level up my skills, which honestly fucking sucks. Like, I remember Borderlands' or Champions of Norrath's skill trees and those were great.

Spoo

Ah, that's good to know. I don't have a problem with any of that, except for the grind and the fact that it's just me and my friend and so the game keeps pairing us with randoms.

I'm reeducator on PSN. Look me up -- I only do strikes and pvp these days, so I'm more than happy to go with you and your friend to do that. Might even be able to help you ease into raids with some of my friends when I can convince them to go.

We love the gameplay. It took me a while to get used to the platforming, and I'm still not crazy about it, but the gunplay is typical Bungie goodness.

I also wish the skill tree was better. I play as a Warlock void(walker?) and most of the skills I have yet to unlock incur heavy penalties on agility or defense, etc. So I have no incentive to level up my skills, which honestly fucking sucks. Like, I remember Borderlands' or Champions of Norrath's skill trees and those were great.

Couple of things - you're more than high enough to do the old raids for fun, and with a good group, they're an awful fun. Check the100.io or on here, or reddit "fireteams".

I would highly recommend finding a "nostalgia" run and joining in. almost any group running those now will have some seasoned vets who are used to playing in groups...i.e. they shouldnt be nobs.

Skill tree - don't worry about the stat bonuses - they make very little difference unless you're really really pushing the edge of the game. I.e. either top-end PvP play or the current highest level raid.

In 99% of content the bonus you're choosing matters more than the stat changes.

FyreWulff

Yeah the way the system works, the drops you get from strikes and so on will just naturally pull you up to max over time.

and yeah it's brutal until you unlock all the skills.

SpecX

I see IB is returning next week. I'm tempted to download and install Destiny again for this, but every time I start up my system Skyrim ends up being all I play. Any news on future updates or even Destiny 2? I'm still sour at Bungie for how they've handled the game.

I'm reeducator on PSN. Look me up -- I only do strikes and pvp these days, so I'm more than happy to go with you and your friend to do that. Might even be able to help you ease into raids with some of my friends when I can convince them to go.

Couple of things - you're more than high enough to do the old raids for fun, and with a good group, they're an awful fun. Check the100.io or on here, or reddit "fireteams".

I would highly recommend finding a "nostalgia" run and joining in. almost any group running those now will have some seasoned vets who are used to playing in groups...i.e. they shouldnt be nobs.

Skill tree - don't worry about the stat bonuses - they make very little difference unless you're really really pushing the edge of the game. I.e. either top-end PvP play or the current highest level raid.

In 99% of content the bonus you're choosing matters more than the stat changes.

Yeah the way the system works, the drops you get from strikes and so on will just naturally pull you up to max over time.

and yeah it's brutal until you unlock all the skills.
Ah, thank you guys. The game really is fantastic in the gameplay department so I'll probably come back after my break. I'll keep your suggestions in mind as well. Cheers!

GlamFM

Banned
Can't promise anything in the near future, but I think you guys will enjoy the chapter of my book that I'm working on right now!

Boom! Can´t wait.

EDIT: I´ve heard you and Kirk talk about it for some time now... ;)

You have a date for you book in mind? Also very interested in your CD Project chapter.

I also wish the skill tree was better. I play as a Warlock void(walker?) and most of the skills I have yet to unlock incur heavy penalties on agility or defense, etc.

Levelling up the subclasses is the most grind-y thing you can do (the last few nodes take an awful lot of XP). It's worth it. I use the last three perks on my voidwalker all the time in conjunction with Nothing Manacles for limitless grenades (divine order has nothing to do with that, but I have it equipped most of the time anyway).

I would also equip the other subclasses sometimes when turning in bounties so you get them to a useable state because they're all fun.

To get a good rocket replacement I need about 70 legendary marks, which means doing 7 heroic strikes.

Do you know about infusion? Any blue heavy you get that's at your current light level can be put into the launcher you like that's below 300, which ought to make your light level advancement go a lot quicker since you won't have that boat anchor (since light level of drops/decryption are based on your overall light level— and your heavy's level is 12% of that).

Can't promise anything in the near future, but I think you guys will enjoy the chapter of my book that I'm working on right now!

Is it about low-sodium diets?

Dalek

Haven't heard anything new. What I do know is that Bungie has a lot of incentive to make sure it comes out this year.

8373718.jpg

I need something-anything!

I tried starting Battlefield 1 last night to see if I can curb my Destiny addiction. I did horribly, was frustrated and had no fun. I need a new game, but nothing else plays smooth as butter like Destiny.

8373718.jpg

I tried starting Battlefield 1 last night to see if I can curb my Destiny addiction. I did horribly, was frustrated and had no fun. I need a new game, but nothing else plays smooth as butter like Destiny.

I forced myself to play through Dark Souls 3 and Diablo 3. I've been clean for about a month now. Then I renewed my subscription to FF14. I've never felt so dirty.

Mindlog

The weekly strike playlist is pretty fun. I even don't mind running some Nightfalls a few times just for kicks.

Mass Effect yay! Please don't suck. I would completely abandon Destiny except for raids if ME co-op is as good as ME3 was. Warlocks, Hunters and Titans are boring as hell compared to Adepts, Infiltrators and Vanguards.

I hope Horizon doesn't suck, but not going to pre-order that. Definitely picking it up if the impressions are good.

I don't know what a NiOH is and Persona is not for me. Zelda I cold play eventually.

South Park! I need a release date.

Levelling up the subclasses is the most grind-y thing you can do (the last few nodes take an awful lot of XP). It's worth it. I use the last three perks on my voidwalker all the time in conjunction with Nothing Manacles for limitless grenades (divine order has nothing to do with that, but I have it equipped most of the time anyway).
But it seems like any of the last three levels (for class/ability/attribute modifiers) of my voidwalker skill tree would drop my agility/strength/armor considerably. I honestly don't understand what they're for if it seems like they would affect the character. I have enough trouble platforming as it is without a heavy penalty to my agility.

Right now I have Vortex Grenade (can switch to Scatter and Axion Bolt but I think I like Vortex better), Glide + Focused Burst, Nova Bomb + Lance, Energy Drain + Soul Rip, Level 2 for class/ability/attribute modifiers, and Vortex Mastery.

To be honest I'm not interested in min-maxing or anything like that, but I'm not interested in severely affecting my character either. Like, I see a bunch of red downgrades when I hover over those options. Why would I want that?

Do you know about infusion? Any blue heavy you get that's at your current light level can be put into the launcher you like that's below 300, which ought to make your light level advancement go a lot quicker since you won't have that boat anchor (since light level of drops/decryption are based on your overall light level— and your heavy's level is 12% of that).
Yes, pretty much all of my items/weapons at this point have infusion (and I constantly use it when I like the weapon/item). The problem is that this rocket launcher doesn't have infusion, and I like it a lot. High rate of fire, can fire three rockets before reloading. Even the 350 level one that I'm looking into has a lower rate of fire with no option for leveling it up.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I hope Destiny 2 doesn't pull an RE6. Having too many people work on it could be a bad thing. And because of so many other games to play I don't mind if they take more time to make it a better game. 2017 is filled with game of the year releases.

Spoo

But it seems like any of the last three levels (for class/ability/attribute modifiers) of my voidwalker skill tree would drop my agility/strength/armor considerably. I honestly don't understand what they're for if it seems like they would affect the character. I have enough trouble platforming as it is without a heavy penalty to my agility.

Don't worry too much about the agility stat on your character. Especially if you are a Titan or a Warlock; Titan's can skate, and Warlocks can also boost skate -- once you are familiar with your characters, speed is something you can create by jumping and feathering your jump appropriately.

Deku Tree

I hope Destiny 2 doesn't pull an RE6. Having too many people work on it could be a bad thing. And because of so many other games to play I don't mind if they take more time to make it a better game. 2017 is filled with game of the year releases.

Hopefully Bungie is doing all the main design for D2 and all these other studios are doing ports to their platforms and polishing work.

Dez_

That's honestly a concern of mine, too. When you have so many people working on a game, I hope it doesn't turn into a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

I'd honestly love some new info on any content updates for Destiny or Destiny 2, but it feels nice to be going through other games. Titanfall 2 has still pretty much taken up most of my usual Destiny multiplayer time. The fact that game plays smooth and consistent helps dial back the frustration I feel compared to when I usually jump into the crucible.

GlamFM

Banned
That's honestly a concern of mine, too. When you have so many people working on a game, I hope it doesn't turn into a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

No. Destiny has almost as much busywork to do as a racing game. You need tons of people for asset creation that have nothing to with the core development of the game.

I wouldn´t worry at all. I would look forward to more locations/guns/armours/ships/sparrows etc.

inthrall

Titanfall 2 and Diablo 3 have tided me over, though the Legion invasion has kept pulling me in this time around too

Zen Aku

So I just bought Destiny the Collection on PS4. Had some credits from trade-in. Played the heck out of the alpha and beta years ago but never bought the game. Was too burnt out and felt like it wasn't interesting enough for me to pick it up.

Gameplay was excellent but everything else was lacking.

The game is sitting on my desk, debating on whether I should open it or return it.

How is Destiny right now GAF? Or should I save myseld $60 and wait for the inevitable Destiny 2: The Destined.

P.S. I have a P...Um P.S.4 Pro if that matters.

To be honest I'm not interested in min-maxing or anything like that, but I'm not interested in severely affecting my character either. Like, I see a bunch of red downgrades when I hover over those options. Why would I want that?

Leaving aside the Arcane whatever and whatever Order columns, which are the big stat adjusters and should be entirely to your taste, the Annihilate/Angry Magic/The Hunger column has a bunch of wonderful options, especially when paired with Vortex Mastery/Bloom/Embrace The Void.

Here's a build you don't have yet because you need to finish the tree:

The Hunger + Embrace The Void means that when you kill one or more trash mobs with a grenade you will regenerate health and recharge your grenade, giving you another grenade in four seconds. When you pair this with Scatter Grenades and the Nothing Manacles exotic gloves, this becomes extremely easy to pull off and it's stupid fun.

Because The Hunger is so powerful, picking either of the other two options in its column gives you a small bonus to armour or agility. There are two Warlock exotics that give you The Hunger for free if you'd like to use it with another perk in that tree (Ophidian Aspects and Helm of Dire Ahamkara).

There are lots of viable builds, but you wanted to know why you should grind out the subclass, and this build is a reason (or at least something to enjoy after you've done so).

FWIW, I run max recovery and adjust armour and agility to the activity. My most commonly used primary gives me +2 to agility so when using it I tend to max armour.

Yes, pretty much all of my items/weapons at this point have infusion (and I constantly use it when I like the weapon/item). The problem is that this rocket launcher doesn't have infusion, and I like it a lot. High rate of fire, can fire three rockets before reloading. Even the 350 level one that I'm looking into has a lower rate of fire with no option for leveling it up.

Ah. One of the fiddly things you can do while you hunt for a legendary or exotic launcher that is in the same archetype, you can equip a higher light heavy when you decrypt stuff. You probably want to pledge to Dead Orbit— their rocket launcher (Unto Dust 00) can roll with tripod (three rockets in a magazine) and it has the fastest rate of fire that can be had.

Top Bottom